Miscellaneous Topics 2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Miscellaneous Topics 2023

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Wasn't quite sure where to put this...but some good news - according to her mother's instagram, Taylor Everson was discharged home from the hospital today.
tothedraw

Re: Miscellaneous Topics 2023

Post by tothedraw »

Good to hear, I know a high school player (boy) who had the same injury, very scary. Played in college with no issues .
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:44 pm Wasn't quite sure where to put this...but some good news - according to her mother's instagram, Taylor Everson was discharged home from the hospital today.
That’s great news!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not college but something you don't see every day.
Future JMU GK facing her sister in the cage at the
other end.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/cn ... 06ea&ei=11
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:27 am Not college but something you don't see every day.
Future JMU GK facing her sister in the cage at the
other end.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/cn ... 06ea&ei=11
Great story. Thanks for posting.
truster49

Post by truster49 »

Random, but just wondering what happened to Georgetown. Fantastic academics, gorgeous campus in a great location, and a notable athletic program. Back when I was being recruited (2011/2012 ish) Georgetown was a top program. And lots of girls wanted to play for Ricky Fried. What happened?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

truster49 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:31 pm Random, but just wondering what happened to Georgetown. Fantastic academics, gorgeous campus in a great location, and a notable athletic program. Back when I was being recruited (2011/2012 ish) Georgetown was a top program. And lots of girls wanted to play for Ricky Fried. What happened?
Ricky happened.
Patsy

Me.

Post by Patsy »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:43 pm
truster49 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:31 pm Random, but just wondering what happened to Georgetown. Fantastic academics, gorgeous campus in a great location, and a notable athletic program. Back when I was being recruited (2011/2012 ish) Georgetown was a top program. And lots of girls wanted to play for Ricky Fried. What happened?
Ricky happened.
Patsy

Me … I’m Rafter or Rafterjack. Long time no-see. Good-to-be-back! 😱

Post by Patsy »

:o :o Thinking 🤔 it was maybe between 2005 and 2010 when as a ‘Pollster’ we were a rowdy bunch and Paul Allen (Bill Allen?) didn’t publish my post and I got a, in effect, ‘pink slip’. A big shot at the time … what the?

Stay tuned they don’t make ‘em anymore like they did in my day once did … please don’t be offended.

quote="Dr. Tact" post_id=459005 time=1683132200 user_id=429]
Ricky happened.
[/quote]
Last edited by Patsy on Thu May 04, 2023 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
truster49

Post by truster49 »

Ricky happened.
What do you mean?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

truster49 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:40 pm
Ricky happened.
What do you mean?
Search around this forum for more detailed explanation. FWIHH, the short answer is, square peg round hole. Ricky has schemes. Instead of adjusting the scheme to the players, the players get "adjusted" to the scheme. This is primarily on Offense. The result is underperformance by players that could/should be better.

"The players get 'adjusted'" written as Phillip Stone delivered the Charles/Delbert Grady line in The Shining "...but I corrected them, sir. And when my wife tried to prevent me from doing my duty, I corrected her."
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:04 pm
Ricky happened.
What do you mean?
Search around this forum for more detailed explanation. FWIHH, the short answer is, square peg round hole. Ricky has schemes. Instead of adjusting the scheme to the players, the players get "adjusted" to the scheme. This is primarily on Offense. The result is underperformance by players that could/should be better.

"The players get 'adjusted'" written as Phillip Stone delivered the Charles/Delbert Grady line in The Shining "...but I corrected them, sir. And when my wife tried to prevent me from doing my duty, I corrected her."
I agree that that is the main problem there. So would you say this is a recruiting issue? Collage coaches, unlike high school, have the luxury of choosing(!) their players to fit how they want to operate. At high school you have to adjust what your plan is based on what your athletes look like- deliberate v fast break offense, playing zone etc. If his players don't fit his scheme then why is he choosing them? Or at this point can he not get the type of player he wants?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

tothedraw wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:16 pm
Ricky happened.
What do you mean?

I agree that that is the main problem there. So would you say this is a recruiting issue? Collage coaches, unlike high school, have the luxury of choosing(!) their players to fit how they want to operate. At high school you have to adjust what your plan is based on what your athletes look like- deliberate v fast break offense, playing zone etc. If his players don't fit his scheme then why is he choosing them? Or at this point can he not get the type of player he wants?
Doc touched on it. It really doesn't matter who he recruits because they all have to fit into his system. Francesca Whitehurst was an absolute stud and was forced to play in his structured system that didn't make use of her abilities at all. Things have gotten worse as the game has evolved and he still plays basically the same system he has for 30 years. I mean the guy couldn't coach Team USA to a World Championship on US soil. Not sure what he's ever done to have the reputation he has other than been the coach at a top school like Georgetown all these years. What's he ever won there? The fact that the Gtown Athletic Department seems to be mostly apathetic about the wlax program has served him quite well.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

hmmm wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:33 pm Francesca Whitehurst was an absolute stud and was forced to play in his structured system that didn't make use of her abilities at all.
I have used the above example many times. Fastest player I have ever seen on the field....
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

tothedraw wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:16 pm
Ricky happened.
What do you mean?

My daughter was a top 10 recruit had a lot of interest from schools etc . Wanted to be a lawyer so GT was a good fit. Met Ricky and toured the facility. Got in car “he’s kind of a weird guy and I got a weird vibe from him - don’t see me playing here “
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:59 pm
hmmm wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:33 pm Francesca Whitehurst was an absolute stud and was forced to play in his structured system that didn't make use of her abilities at all.
I have used the above example many times. Fastest player I have ever seen on the field....
So lax mag AA list is out . I think all of D1 is represented for the HM list . Omg does everyone get a “participation” trophy? Also interesting what’s middies (who are attackers) made list .😑
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Madlax59 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:43 pm
So lax mag AA list is out . I think all of D1 is represented for the HM list . Omg does everyone get a “participation” trophy? Also interesting what’s middies (who are attackers) made list .😑
It’s just another magazine article. I’d hardly even call it a trophy. I really don’t set much store in LaxMag or IL awards lists.
madlaxer59

Post by madlaxer59 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:54 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:43 pm
It’s just another magazine article. I’d hardly even call it a trophy. I really don’t set much store in LaxMag or IL awards lists.
So IWLCA put out All Region teams. Glad they gave kudos to the two defenders from Carolina. This list def is more meaningful than the magazine lists.
14 players combined for Cuse & BC and only 4 from UNC.....
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Wasn't sure where to put this, but this is a good read on Maryland's Eloise Clevenger, who broke the program record for most assists in a game the day before her mom passed away from breast cancer.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... -lacrosse/
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Probably is better suited for the HS board but there’s much less traffic there..

Did they retire the HLA award? I didn’t see any announcements for finalists or a winner from this past weekend.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”