Miscellaneous Topics 2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
glaxer24

Re: Miscellaneous Topics 2023

Post by glaxer24 »

My daughter (D2) is potentially looking to transfer, she feels she has exhausted all options on her end of getting more playing time and doesn’t know if her coach is right for her. However, said coach does not take players leaving/transferring well so my D is 1) unsure of how to approach the situation, 2) afraid she won’t get picked up, and 3) scared that the grass won’t be greener on the other side. She is a work horse, a leader on the field, and overall a great kid but we both know she has loads of potential that isn’t being highlighted. Would love any advice, I feel for her but don’t know exactly how to help her
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

glaxer24 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:47 am My daughter (D2) is potentially looking to transfer, she feels she has exhausted all options on her end of getting more playing time and doesn’t know if her coach is right for her. However, said coach does not take players leaving/transferring well so my D is 1) unsure of how to approach the situation, 2) afraid she won’t get picked up, and 3) scared that the grass won’t be greener on the other side. She is a work horse, a leader on the field, and overall a great kid but we both know she has loads of potential that isn’t being highlighted. Would love any advice, I feel for her but don’t know exactly how to help her
My best advice would be to go to Facebook and ask this question on “Recruiting Questions Parent to Parent Women’s Lacrosse.” There is a ton of parents D1-D3. It is a really good group. Can probably search this question and get a plethora of answers already. I would give you my opinion, but since I have never been through it, I would be talking out of my ass. Good luck
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:49 am
glaxer24 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:47 am My daughter (D2) is potentially looking to transfer, she feels she has exhausted all options on her end of getting more playing time and doesn’t know if her coach is right for her. However, said coach does not take players leaving/transferring well so my D is 1) unsure of how to approach the situation, 2) afraid she won’t get picked up, and 3) scared that the grass won’t be greener on the other side. She is a work horse, a leader on the field, and overall a great kid but we both know she has loads of potential that isn’t being highlighted. Would love any advice, I feel for her but don’t know exactly how to help her
My best advice would be to go to Facebook and ask this question on “Recruiting Questions Parent to Parent Women’s Lacrosse.” There is a ton of parents D1-D3. It is a really good group. Can probably search this question and get a plethora of answers already. I would give you my opinion, but since I have never been through it, I would be talking out of my ass. Good luck
The owner of the Recruiting page actually as a College Parents group that is worth looking into. "Parents of Women's College Lacrosse Players" and you can post anonymously. I'd post there.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

Miscellaneous question...what is the highest score that you've ever seen the score go to? Just looking at some schedules and saw a 17-28 score. Haven't seen many (or any) get past the mid-20s but I'm also not looking that in depth.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

lacrossemwj wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:45 pm Miscellaneous question...what is the highest score that you've ever seen the score go to? Just looking at some schedules and saw a 17-28 score. Haven't seen many (or any) get past the mid-20s but I'm also not looking that in depth.
I believe the NCAA D1 record for most goals scored by one team in a game is 36 by Delaware over Towson, April 24, 1986
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I don't give a damn if the coach doesn't like it or not : that's YOUR daughter, not hers! That's why the Transfer Portal is there. The coach doesn't get to make that decision, you and your daughter do. Get an appointment with the Assoc AD or the AD and go from there.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Cleats vs Turf shoes?

My kid (12U) just started playing on almost all turf this year after playing mostly grass before. I bought her new cleats this year but now I'm thinking she might need turf shoes. The fields are all HS outdoor turf (typically football fields).

What is everyone's thought on this?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

WLaxdad wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:05 pm Cleats vs Turf shoes?

My kid (12U) just started playing on almost all turf this year after playing mostly grass before. I bought her new cleats this year but now I'm thinking she might need turf shoes. The fields are all HS outdoor turf (typically football fields).

Most will say that studies show turf shoes are safer on turf than cleats. Seems in HS ball in a league where all games are on turf many girls wear turf shoes. Once they get to college and usually play on a mix of grass and turf girls stick with cleats so that they wear the same shoes every game.(with the exception of playing on FH turf at MD and other places where they usually just where sneakers).
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

I always encouraged my dtr to use turf shoes thinking a softer footbed and less bite might reduce joint/soft tissue stress and prevent injury. Alas, I could rarely get her to comply because she felt it compromised performance. Good topic--interested in hearing others' experience.
laxguy516

Post by laxguy516 »

My daughter very rarely wears her turf shoes, mostly just cleats because she says they are more comfortable to play in. Id prefer her to wear the turf shoes on turf, but that's probably why she doesn't! :D
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Tough situation. I empathize.

If you still have a relationship with your club coach, I'd recommend reaching out to her. She can put out feelers before entering the portal. I know a few examples of where this worked.

Some aren't willing to do this because of potential blowback from college coaches, but many will help out
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

hmmm wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:14 pm

Most will say that studies show turf shoes are safer on turf than cleats. Seems in HS ball in a league where all games are on turf many girls wear turf shoes. Once they get to college and usually play on a mix of grass and turf girls stick with cleats so that they wear the same shoes every game.(with the exception of playing on FH turf at MD and other places where they usually just where sneakers).
I've always been curious about this. Turf shoes (rubber nubs on the bottom) are really designed for the old school carpeted Astroturf stuff you see in field hockey. Injury risk aside (I've seen plenty of players in turf shoes sustain non-contact knee/ankle injuries...), I feel players who wear turf shoes on grass and football FieldTurf fields (the rubber pellet stuff) are at a significant disadvantage.

College level, the non-ACC teams spend 95% of their practice/game time on synthetic FieldTurf -- 100% of men's players in college wear cleats. In my experience, the same D1 women's teams are predominantly wearing turf shoes. I coach in turf shoes and the reduction in grip / change of direction vs cleats is remarkable. When I ask the girls who wear turfs why they prefer them, most shrug their shoulders and say they've never really thought about it. The ones who have switched to cleats haven't looked back.

For a 12 year old I'd go with what's safe and comfortable. But I would also guess that if she were playing soccer on the same surface, she would look around and see most of the other players in cleats.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

EasyRider wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:39 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:14 pm

I've always been curious about this. Turf shoes (rubber nubs on the bottom) are really designed for the old school carpeted Astroturf stuff you see in field hockey. Injury risk aside (I've seen plenty of players in turf shoes sustain non-contact knee/ankle injuries...), I feel players who wear turf shoes on grass and football FieldTurf fields (the rubber pellet stuff) are at a significant disadvantage.

College level, the non-ACC teams spend 95% of their practice/game time on synthetic FieldTurf -- 100% of men's players in college wear cleats. In my experience, the same D1 women's teams are predominantly wearing turf shoes. I coach in turf shoes and the reduction in grip / change of direction vs cleats is remarkable. When I ask the girls who wear turfs why they prefer them, most shrug their shoulders and say they've never really thought about it. The ones who have switched to cleats haven't looked back.

For a 12 year old I'd go with what's safe and comfortable. But I would also guess that if she were playing soccer on the same surface, she would look around and see most of the other players in cleats.
I think the D1 women in turf shoes may have been true a few years ago, but I think a vast majority of D1 women wear cleats these days. Even at the non-ACC schools that mostly play on turf.
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

hmmm wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:47 pmI think the D1 women in turf shoes may have been true a few years ago, but I think a vast majority of D1 women wear cleats these days. Even at the non-ACC schools that mostly play on turf.
I'd say it's about 50/50... https://youtu.be/UtiyhuseRUs?si=ZXgTQg5BQP6XBDWr&t=23
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

If you wear turf shoes you are screaming "I AM NOT FAST ENOUGH, OR CUT WITH ENOUGH AUTHORITY, TO WARRANT HAVING TO WEAR CLEATS".
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

EasyRider wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:01 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:47 pmI think the D1 women in turf shoes may have been true a few years ago, but I think a vast majority of D1 women wear cleats these days. Even at the non-ACC schools that mostly play on turf.
I'd say it's about 50/50... https://youtu.be/UtiyhuseRUs?si=ZXgTQg5BQP6XBDWr&t=23
Not on any of the teams I've seen this year.
DMac

Post by DMac »

They should all be wearing the Goodale footwear, properly accommodated.
Seems as if they're the PF Flyers of 2024. There's magic in 'em.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0hkXdb81VU
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Was on a turf field yesterday with the new wood chips infill vs. the rubber pellets. The players were slipping more often than on the rubber infill. Will be interesting if that has any effect on play or injuries moving forward, for good or bad.
301Hayes

Post by 301Hayes »

DMac wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:16 pm They should all be wearing the Goodale footwear, properly accommodated.
Seems as if they're the PF Flyers of 2024. There's magic in 'em.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0hkXdb81VU
Lots of girls would love to wear different cleats/turfs than they do but they’re stuck with the brand sponsored by their school. In some cases the brand doesnt even make lacrosse cleats and certainly not women’s lacrosse cleats so they’re wearing football cleats or soccer cleats. I can’t imagine that situation is helping but most schools are absolutely inflexible and will not budge on this.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

intheknow247 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:25 pm If you wear turf shoes you are screaming "I AM NOT FAST ENOUGH, OR CUT WITH ENOUGH AUTHORITY, TO WARRANT HAVING TO WEAR CLEATS".
Amen

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”