NEWMAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Nigel

Re: NEWMAC 2023

Post by Nigel »

Babson traveling to Springfield tomorrow morning where the winner takes over the drivers seat for the #1 seed. A Springfield victory really sets them up since they already beat MIT and would have a win over Babson as well. Babson fell behind Bowdoin early (L13-12) and needs to avoid a repeat of 'bus legs'. Springfield won last year, 17-13. Babson won the last time they played in Springfield, 9-5. Springfield lost on Tues to Middlebury, 15-8. This is a BIG game.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

BIG game went to the Beavers.

Current standing w NEWMAC records. Top 5 make the league playoffs.

BABSON 3-0
SPRINGFIELD 2-1
MIT 1-1
COAST GUARD 1-1
EMERSON 1-1
CLARK 1-2
WHEATON 0-3
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Nigel wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:58 pm BIG game went to the Beavers.

Current standing w NEWMAC records. Top 5 make the league playoffs.

BABSON 3-0
SPRINGFIELD 2-1
MIT 1-1
COAST GUARD 1-1
EMERSON 1-1
CLARK 1-2
WHEATON 0-3
Babson and MIT get all of the praise, and rightfully so. Those two programs have really found their stride. But Emerson deserves a massive amount of recognition. Six or seven years ago they could barely field and team. Their coach is squeezing every ounce of potential out of that program and deserves some recognition.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Noted re Emerson's progress but Babson just rolled them 16-9. Was 6-0 seven minutes into the game. Looks like a good effort by Emerson GK who recorded 24 saves however.

On paper today's MIT v Coast Guard game might be interesting but CG is reeling, losing six of last seven. Their playoff spot is not a sure thing anymore.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

1 bid conference?
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

SKUD wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:31 pm 1 bid conference?
For sure. Not even a discussion this year. Last year could have been a discussion with MIT if they lost, but this year is champ only for the whole conference.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

TL;DR: one bid league.

Longer thoughts:
I’d argue MIT was a lock last year regardless of what happened in the conference tourney; they were 3rd in the regional rankings - ahead of two teams that got at-large bids (Wesleyan and Amherst) - and were 3-0 against regionally ranked opponents. This year…probably no chance. RPI/WNE/UM-B all taking a step back this season prevents MIT from stacking regionally ranked wins/overcoming their questionable losses. They were maybe still in the conversation after the Springfield loss, but with the Colby L it’s hard to see any path. If they win out (starting with a very good Williams team tomorrow) then they’d be 13-3 with a solid but unspectacular resume…so maybe? But unlikely.

Babson could have been an interesting at-large candidate; they have one-goal losses to Bowdoin and Williams, plus a three-goal loss to Middlebury after leading the majority of the game. If 1-2 of those games goes the other way, they’re suddenly looking at a 11-3/12-2 regular season with a chance to add to an already solid resume in the conference tourney. As is…they’re in the AQ or bust bucket.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Coming down to the final weekend and it's a dandy!

TEAM CONF. OVERALL
BABSON 5-0 9-4
MIT 4-1 11-4
SPRINGFIELD 4-1 5-9
CLARK 3-2 5-8
EMERSON 1-4 5-10
COAST GUARD 1-4 4-8
WHEATON 0-6 6-10

All at 1 pm on Saturday
MIT @ Babson
Springfield @ Clark
Coast Guard @ Emerson

Top five teams make the league playoff so the CG/Emerson game is essentially already a playoff game. Winner in as #5, loser done.
An MIT win and a Springfield win makes a little bit of a mess at the top TBD while putting Clark at #4. A Babson win and a Clark win puts Babson at #1 and makes a little bit of a mess TBD for the other three.
Olddawg83

Post by Olddawg83 »

coming down to the end of the season does any one have thoughts on who will be on the all conference first team? definitely a tough group to select with so much talent in the NEWMAC this year
ah23

Post by ah23 »

The camera operator at Babson-MIT is missing a great game :cry:
A151515

Post by A151515 »

Olddawg83 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:14 am coming down to the end of the season does any one have thoughts on who will be on the all conference first team? definitely a tough group to select with so much talent in the NEWMAC this year
For the Attack I think the first team will likely be Gebhart (MIT), Spangenburg (Babson), and Price (Babson), midfield and defense will be a bit of a toss up, fogo will be Sardis (MIT), and I’d say likely Parducci (Babson) for Goalie. Just speculation but I feel like these are pretty decent preliminary thoughts.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

ah23 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:57 pm The camera operator at Babson-MIT is missing a great game :cry:
Outstanding game! 8 lead changes! Top seed goes to Babson 15-14.
Olddawg83

Post by Olddawg83 »

A151515 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:07 pm
Olddawg83 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:14 am coming down to the end of the season does any one have thoughts on who will be on the all conference first team? definitely a tough group to select with so much talent in the NEWMAC this year
For the Attack I think the first team will likely be Gebhart (MIT), Spangenburg (Babson), and Price (Babson), midfield and defense will be a bit of a toss up, fogo will be Sardis (MIT), and I’d say likely Parducci (Babson) for Goalie. Just speculation but I feel like these are pretty decent preliminary thoughts.
You wouldn’t put Tracy (Springfield) over Price? I know Price scores in bunches but he also isn’t the main guy for babson Spangenberg gets the #1 defender every game. Tracy seems to be the more well rounded choice for attack yet Springfield also plays him all over the field offensively. He’s listed as attack on the roster but has run out of the midfield very often as well
A151515

Post by A151515 »

Olddawg83 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:52 pm
A151515 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:07 pm
You wouldn’t put Tracy (Springfield) over Price? I know Price scores in bunches but he also isn’t the main guy for babson Spangenberg gets the #1 defender every game. Tracy seems to be the more well rounded choice for attack yet Springfield also plays him all over the field offensively. He’s listed as attack on the roster but has run out of the midfield very often as well
Not to take away from Tracy but I think Price is a better player plus he has more points than Tracy. I think Tracy would be a good pick for a first team midfielder since he runs out of the midfield a lot, or a second team attackman.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Coast Guard looking for redemption against host Clark tonight in the NEWMAC 4/5 game. 10-7 @ CG in early April. Cougar goalie had 20 saves. CG had double the shots, double the ground balls, and half as many turnovers and scored once in the second half. FO were even. Winner heads to Babson on Thursday.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Noted re Emerson's progress but Babson just rolled them 16-9. Was 6-0 seven minutes into the game. Looks like a good effort by Emerson GK who recorded 24 saves however.
This is absurd. 6 years ago Emerson had 13 players (well students with sticks really) and now they are competitive. Babson has had a program since the 60's and has had multiple ncaa appearances. Hell, they were coached by the legendary Rick McCarthy the architect of the great ECONN teams of the 90's-00's. Give credit where it is due. Colombini has turned Emerson into a program.

16-9 aint a rolling either. I don't like Nigel, you are now on my list.... :D
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

sguy9 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:21 pm
This is absurd. 6 years ago Emerson had 13 players (well students with sticks really) and now they are competitive. Babson has had a program since the 60's and has had multiple ncaa appearances. Hell, they were coached by the legendary Rick McCarthy the architect of the great ECONN teams of the 90's-00's. Give credit where it is due. Colombini has turned Emerson into a program.

16-9 aint a rolling either. I don't like Nigel, you are now on my list.... :D
Better add the NESCAC posters to your list. They're not giving Emerson any credit either. BTW, 6 yrs ago Emerson was 0-7 in conference. Six years later they're 1-6. Baby steps...
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Is it time to acknowledge the fact that Springfield no longer has a tight stronghold on the newmac? Babson and MIT have stepped it up
A151515

Post by A151515 »

Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:14 pm Is it time to acknowledge the fact that Springfield no longer has a tight stronghold on the newmac? Babson and MIT have stepped it up
I think Springfield will always be in the mix for the conference but they just don’t get the level of talent on their roster that Babson and MIT have. They are well coached and athletic though so they will always be in the mix.
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

A151515 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:33 pm
Bigdawg69 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:14 pm Is it time to acknowledge the fact that Springfield no longer has a tight stronghold on the newmac? Babson and MIT have stepped it up
I think Springfield will always be in the mix for the conference but they just don’t get the level of talent on their roster that Babson and MIT have. They are well coached and athletic though so they will always be in the mix.
Agreed. Can’t ever count out bugbee he is a coaching legend. I think with Babson their location can be a huge advantage in recruiting. Getting a d1 transfer like spang was huge in showing what is possible at Babson. Williams better be ready to play round 1 they are no joke this yr

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”