MD at Cuse, 2/17, 3 p.m.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
jff97

MD at Cuse, 2/17, 3 p.m.

Post by jff97 »

Big early season game. Terps make their first trip to Cuse since 2018. Were supposed to go in 2020 before the weather that wasn't, but we don't need to rehash that here. Should be a good one between two FF contenders. Game will be on ACC Network Extra. Some things to watch:
-How do both teams come out now that they have film on each other
-How does MD fare in its first test of the season
-Can Cuse have the same energy they did last week after what looked like an emotional win
-How does Cuse attack MD's defense
-What does MD's rotation look like in what will be a much more competitive game than last week
I think this one will be close, but give me Cuse by a goal or two because of their offensive depth. Wouldn't surprise me if it went the other way though. Anyone else have thoughts?
-
watcherinthewoods

Re: MD at Cuse, 2/17, 3 p.m.

Post by watcherinthewoods »

I think the battle between Cuse attack (looked the most effective of any of the units I saw last weekend) and the Terp's D will be fun.

Not sure the young Cuse zone can handle the Terp's ball movement and they struggled on the draw against NW. Nod to Maryland.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

I think Syracuse's offense is better than Maryland's but the Terp's defense is much better than Syracuse's defense.

If Maryland has the same kind of draw control advantage that Northwestern had against Cuse, I think Maryland definitely wins it going away. If Cuse can gain the advantage on the draw, I think they have a decent chance of winning. Cuse is definitely missing Emma Tyrrell on the draw control circle; she was their x-factor when Mashewske wasn't winning the draws to herself.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxer12 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:24 pm I think Syracuse's offense is better than Maryland's but the Terp's defense is much better than Syracuse's defense.

I think maryland pulls away in the second half. This is a match up of strength on strength. I think the Terps D and goalie are better than the cuse O
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:35 pm
laxer12 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:24 pm I think Syracuse's offense is better than Maryland's but the Terp's defense is much better than Syracuse's defense.

I think maryland pulls away in the second half. This is a match up of strength on strength. I think the Terps D and goalie are better than the cuse O
I agree, and will add on Maryland’s typically more disciplined play gives them an additional edge.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I am not kidding. Snow is in the forecast for Syr for Friday. :lol:

DMac, what are you hearing up there?

Is Kayla prepared to come to College Park if . . . you know?
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

i got cuse in this one. That offense is no joke. The Tyrells, Carney and Ward are experienced and talented enough that they will not be held by anyone. even the vaunted MD defense. St. Bonaventure, a team that went 1-14 last year should not be putting up 5 goals on this MD Defense for the hype it's getting. Might sound crass but it gives a cause for concern. So it comes down to can MD score enough to keep up? Cuse wins in classic shootout fashion 14-12
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:03 pm i got cuse in this one. That offense is no joke. The Tyrells, Carney and Ward are experienced and talented enough that they will not be held by anyone. even the vaunted MD defense. St. Bonaventure, a team that went 1-14 last year should not be putting up 5 goals on this MD Defense for the hype it's getting. Might sound crass but it gives a cause for concern. So it comes down to can MD score enough to keep up? Cuse wins in classic shootout fashion 14-12
Well maybe it would be a concern if they played St. Bonaventure. But they played Saint Joseph's, a tournament team last year whose best player is now on your beloved Heels. If you're gonna throw out hot takes, at least be accurate about the easy details.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Maryland by 2.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

njbill wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:52 pm I am not kidding. Snow is in the forecast for Syr for Friday. :lol:

DMac, what are you hearing up there?

Is Kayla prepared to come to College Park if . . . you know?
Funny enough, the Maryland and Syracuse men actually play each in College Park this Saturday. So you could make it a SECU Stadium doubleheader if it somehow comes to that. I don't think it will though.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:23 pm Maryland by 2.
5-3 or 19-17?
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

jff97 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:17 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:03 pm i got cuse in this one. That offense is no joke. The Tyrells, Carney and Ward are experienced and talented enough that they will not be held by anyone. even the vaunted MD defense. St. Bonaventure, a team that went 1-14 last year should not be putting up 5 goals on this MD Defense for the hype it's getting. Might sound crass but it gives a cause for concern. So it comes down to can MD score enough to keep up? Cuse wins in classic shootout fashion 14-12
Well maybe it would be a concern if they played St. Bonaventure. But they played Saint Joseph's, a tournament team last year whose best player is now on your beloved Heels. If you're gonna throw out hot takes, at least be accurate about the easy details.
Who didn't play this past weekend...
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:29 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:23 pm Maryland by 2.
5-3 or 19-17?
I think Maryland will play better defense than Northwestern, and hold Syracuse to 12 or 13. The draw circle will be interesting; I think Maryland is a little stronger here too, and will get better play from the circle players than Syracuse. In the end, I think Maryland just scores a few more goals against a defense in development.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Maryland takes this one. The epic trip Gary took to college park pumped that team up for the win. Schweitzer is no goldstock. 31 is def no cooper. Goodale is an excellent defender. But that unit that traveled that day was lights out good all the way around. And 8 struggled at the draw. There’s no hawryschuk to take over the draw. If they can’t control the draw and get the ball to their offense I don’t think the d can hold on. Cuse has the better offense imo. With that being said. They find a way to crawl scratch and pull one out so it’ll be fun to watch
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

I like Maryland by a few, say 11-8.
Historically, one equalizer at the Dome can be how well opposing goalies see the ball. I think UMD defense will force lower % shots. If Sterling sees it, they will be able to limit SU. If not, will be closer. Dome renovations seem to have improved the lighting--Any locals have a sense for this? Should be a great game.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Definitely brighter in the Dome (maybe you'll be able to see me in the stands?) I'm not so sure that's the issue in there though. The silver and gray background is what I think makes/made it more difficult to see the ball. First time I went there (mlax game) I thought they shouldn't be allowed to play with a white ball, should be orange (be a lot of b*itching about that for sure though) because that ball blends in with the silver and gray background too much. wlaxers use a yellow ball, that's got to help. Again, it is definitely brighter in the Dome these days (about $118 million brighter) though.
BertleTurtle

Post by BertleTurtle »

The Terps already put 15 up on the best "Cuse" goalie last weekend (former Orange transfer Concordia) that unfortunately for the New Yorkers now plays for St. Josephs. As the Nuns say, learn your Saints! There's a big difference who you play/pray to. So no hot takes please. The Turtles will shell the Orange while strangling their attack. Terps by 5+, something like 17-12.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

I think MD pulls this out by 2-3 goals. Love the SYR attack, but TO's will be important as well as the goalie play - which goes MD's way. Excited for a great game.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Alright! Some new Turtle posters are poking their heads out of their shells. Now all we need is for TL to return.

I guess since I have Maryland ranked number one in my poll, I should be picking the Terps, but in all honesty, I have no idea who will win this game. Just want to enjoy watching it.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

I'm giving MD the edge. Defensively I think only they and BC can handle SU. As has been said, Emma T got them a lot of possessions and not having her in the circle hurts. MD O, while not scary is solid and well coached. I do love watching Meghan T play. Fun game !

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”