3 Cumberlands 44
4 Aquinas 40
5 St. Ambrose 38
6 Keiser 35
7 Tennessee Wesleyan 29
8 Siena Heights 28
9 Benedictine 27
10 Webber 26

Receiving Votes: Ottawa (Kan.) 18, Lawrence Tech (Mich.) 17, William Penn (Iowa) 14, Columbia (Mo.) 14, Madonna (Mich.) 5
laxtea69

Re: 2023 Rankings

Post by laxtea69 »

Nothing really changed from the postseason poll last year. Which is why I don't like the preseason polls, the NAIA coaches just vote the exact same as they did to end last season, without taking into consideration of some changes in team dynamics.
LaxCoach1952

Post by LaxCoach1952 »

laxtea69 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:00 am Nothing really changed from the postseason poll last year. Which is why I don't like the preseason polls, the NAIA coaches just vote the exact same as they did to end last season, without taking into consideration of some changes in team dynamics.
Without any news outlets to report on recruiting and transfers its hard to tell whats changed in the NAIA from not just season to season but even fall to spring.

It would be nice for Inside Lacrosse to report on the NAIA.
laxtea69

Post by laxtea69 »

LaxCoach1952 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:11 am
laxtea69 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:00 am Nothing really changed from the postseason poll last year. Which is why I don't like the preseason polls, the NAIA coaches just vote the exact same as they did to end last season, without taking into consideration of some changes in team dynamics.
Without any news outlets to report on recruiting and transfers its hard to tell whats changed in the NAIA from not just season to season but even fall to spring.

I agree, that's why I really enjoyed the NAIA Lax twitter page when that Reinhardt alumni handled it all. He didn't have coaching responsibilities at the time, so he was pretty up to date on everything and it was well ran. Now with a few coaches running the page, they can't be a (successful) coach and run that page in the manner that it needs to be ran.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

#1 Reinhardt takes down #2 MCLA team Georgia Tech yesterday. I believe score was 13-12.
Geo927

Post by Geo927 »

laxtea69 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:48 am
LaxCoach1952 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:11 am

I agree, that's why I really enjoyed the NAIA Lax twitter page when that Reinhardt alumni handled it all. He didn't have coaching responsibilities at the time, so he was pretty up to date on everything and it was well ran. Now with a few coaches running the page, they can't be a (successful) coach and run that page in the manner that it needs to be ran.
Thinks there's any opportunity there for some other outlet for less-covered lacrosse besides a Twitter-feed? Not just NAIA, but lacrosse that doesn't make it into IL in general. Was thinking of starting something with an inexpensive paywall - not to become a millionaire, just to keep it afloat.
laxtea69

Post by laxtea69 »

DQKing wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:30 pm RANK SCHOOL POINTS
1 Reinhardt 50
2 Indiana Tech 47
3 Cumberlands 44
4 Aquinas 40
5 St. Ambrose 38
6 Keiser 35
7 Tennessee Wesleyan 29
8 Siena Heights 28
9 Benedictine 27
10 Webber 26

Receiving Votes: Ottawa (Kan.) 18, Lawrence Tech (Mich.) 17, William Penn (Iowa) 14, Columbia (Mo.) 14, Madonna (Mich.) 5
I want to pose a question, who do we think will be the first one out of the top 10, and then the first one to join it?

I'll go first, first one to leave the top 10... Siena Heights. Their first three games are all against top 10 teams (RU, Keiser, Benedictine). If they lose two or more of those, they are definitely out.
First team into the top 10, probably Lawrence Tech. They have an easier beginning of the year, and a few winnable games (Webber, WP, TWU) that could help boost them straight into the top if they win 2/3 of them.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

Good question and all speculation on our end at this point.
I agree on Siena although Benedictine has a tough early run with Indiana Tech and Cumberlands.
Breaking in I'm going to say William Penn.
A good showing, meaning a win and a close game, or even two close games, on the weekend they play Cumberlands and Reinhardt should put them in.
laxtea69

Post by laxtea69 »

DQKing wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:36 pm Good question and all speculation on our end at this point.
I agree on Siena although Benedictine has a tough early run with Indiana Tech and Cumberlands.
Breaking in I'm going to say William Penn.
A good showing, meaning a win and a close game, or even two close games, on the weekend they play Cumberlands and Reinhardt should put them in.
I didn't even really consider Benedictine until right now. With a new coach and good amount of seniors leaving (including goalie, Duncan Lord), I could see them taking a little downhill slide. I think they'll be ranked or RV all season but I don't know how good they be.

And I like William Penn too. They whooped MVC (not that difficult though), and a freshman and sophomore alone combined for 10/18 goals. I could see them doing well against Cumberlands now that 2/3 of Cumberland's attack graduated and I don't know who is really going to replace them.
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

Don't know how much weight I would put in WPU win vs MV, MV only had 12 players and didn't field a team last year and probably shouldn't this year. I'm not saying WP isn't good but lets wait and see
Yeti_33

Post by Yeti_33 »

What happened to MVC? I feel like it wasn't that long ago they were in the NAIA invitational tournament and fielded a team of 30+ guys. Seems like a steep drop in a short amount of time
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

We start 2023 how we finished in 2022. It's only fair...

1 Reinhardt (Ga.)
2 Indiana Tech
3 St. Ambrose (Iowa)
4 Aquinas (Mich.)
5 Cumberlands (Ky.)
6 Tennessee Wesleyan
7 Keiser (Fla.)
8 Siena Heights (Mich.)
9 Webber International (Fla.)
10 Benedictine (Kan.)
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
laxtea69

Post by laxtea69 »

LaxCoach13 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:17 pm Don't know how much weight I would put in WPU win vs MV, MV only had 12 players and didn't field a team last year and probably shouldn't this year. I'm not saying WP isn't good but lets wait and see
MVC did field a team last year... they played a full conference schedule and had 12-13 guys.
laxtea69

Post by laxtea69 »

Yeti_33 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:33 pm What happened to MVC? I feel like it wasn't that long ago they were in the NAIA invitational tournament and fielded a team of 30+ guys. Seems like a steep drop in a short amount of time
They lost their HC and arguably the best player in the NAIA at the time (Ryan Barnes). Then they just made some dumb hires, and the team slipped away. They now have an alumni running the team, so hopefully he can bring them back to at least having a winning season.
Laxislifeforsome

Post by Laxislifeforsome »

A few to keep in mind.
TW goalie transfers to Tennessee Wesleyan. Leaving a big hole for them to fill
Keiser goalie from last year transfers to D2. They bring in a goalie with well known PED history at previous schools. Does NAIA random test thru season or just at nattys? If so does it impact just player or team if positive testing takes place?
Yeti_33

Post by Yeti_33 »

Laxislifeforsome wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:20 am A few to keep in mind.
TW goalie transfers to Tennessee Wesleyan. Leaving a big hole for them to fill
Keiser goalie from last year transfers to D2. They bring in a goalie with well known PED history at previous schools. Does NAIA random test thru season or just at nattys? If so does it impact just player or team if positive testing takes place?
According to the NAIA website, they only drug test during the postseason

https://www.naia.org/student-athlete-we ... ach%20year.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

William Penn showed me nothing this weekend. Top 10 is not for them anytime soon.

Not sure what St. Ambrose's showing this weekend means. Blown out by Reinhardt but lost by three to Cumberlands. I'm not sure they should drop out of the top 10 but definitely on the lower end. Also curious if anyone knows if Witt (D) is playing there this year? Their website has him on the roster but don't see him in the stats from this weekend. Based on the little film I saw from this weekend they could certainly use him.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

My take after the first few weeks (although some still to play any games):

1 Reinhardt
2 Keiser
3 Cumberlands
4 Aquinas
5 Indiana Tech
6 St. Ambrose
7 Tennessee Wesleyan
8 Benedictine
9 Webber
10 Mount Vernon Nazarene
laxtea69

Post by laxtea69 »

DQKing wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:06 pm My take after the first few weeks (although some still to play any games):

1 Reinhardt
2 Keiser
3 Cumberlands
4 Aquinas
5 Indiana Tech
6 St. Ambrose
7 Tennessee Wesleyan
8 Benedictine
9 Webber
10 Mount Vernon Nazarene
How dare you put MVNU in the top ten. :lol: Yeah, they're 4-0, but they haven't played any good teams so far this year. That is what MVNU does, they play bad teams to help boost their schedules to make their record better. Otherwise, I think your top 10 is pretty solid. I think a better 10th team could include Siena Heights, WP, or even Columbia at this point. Until MVNU plays someone competitive, I don't see them ever cracking RV or the top 10.
DQKing

Post by DQKing »

Just seeing if anyone is paying attention. :shock:
That being said I'll ride this bus and see where it takes me.
It could crash soon or it may be a few weeks when they go up against St. Ambrose.

Return to “NAIA MENS LACROSSE”