Regulation - Too Much or Too Little?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: Regulation - Too Much or Too Little?

Post by cradleandshoot »

Ron Wyden, Democrat from Oregon says that the NSA has been buying and storing Americans internet data for the purpose of spying on them. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Why I was unaware our government could do that legally. Who knew? :roll: For some inexplicable reason the NSA has been trying to keep this under wraps. Why in the world would they want to do that? Some of you folks become testy upon finding out the American people don't trust their government. It might have something to do with the fact that the government can't be trusted. 8-)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:49 am Ron Wyden, Democrat from Oregon says that the NSA has been buying and storing Americans internet data for the purpose of spying on them. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Why I was unaware our government could do that legally. Who knew? :roll: For some inexplicable reason the NSA has been trying to keep this under wraps. Why in the world would they want to do that? Some of you folks become testy upon finding out the American people don't trust their government. It might have something to do with the fact that the government can't be trusted. 8-)
I am fine with it, the life it saves could be yours or mine. Yoke, this with the influx migrants....we certainly want to know What the heck they are doing. Although, using encrypted apps has made it a bit more challenging but not impossible.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:40 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:49 am Ron Wyden, Democrat from Oregon says that the NSA has been buying and storing Americans internet data for the purpose of spying on them. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Why I was unaware our government could do that legally. Who knew? :roll: For some inexplicable reason the NSA has been trying to keep this under wraps. Why in the world would they want to do that? Some of you folks become testy upon finding out the American people don't trust their government. It might have something to do with the fact that the government can't be trusted. 8-)
I am fine with it, the life it saves could be yours or mine. Yoke, this with the influx migrants....we certainly want to know What the heck they are doing. Although, using encrypted apps has made it a bit more challenging but not impossible.
I don't know if I'm fine with it. The keeping it under wraps thing is a little disconcerting to me. It could be a way to do an end run around getting a warrant signed by a judge. No real mention of what information they are looking for or why. It does provide ammo to the folks who don't trust the government.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:43 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:40 am
I don't know if I'm fine with it. The keeping it under wraps thing is a little disconcerting to me. It could be a way to do an end run around getting a warrant signed by a judge. No real mention of what information they are looking for or why. It does provide ammo to the folks who don't trust the government.
I understand that POV, I just think the fine line between having data the supports stopping a crime/evil is far more valuable than not having it all, especially when time is of the essence. But to your point, to be used in a manner of corrupt intention or possibility, is crossing the line.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Was not sure where to put this.

The U.S. just sold its helium stockpile. Here’s why the medical world is worried.

MRI machines need thousands of liters of liquid helium to function. Health care workers say they can’t afford any disruptions to the helium supply chain.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... rcna134785

On the surface, this seems like an awfully bad idea....what say you?
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:09 pm Was not sure where to put this.

The U.S. just sold its helium stockpile. Here’s why the medical world is worried.

MRI machines need thousands of liters of liquid helium to function. Health care workers say they can’t afford any disruptions to the helium supply chain.

I don't know why the US has the need for such a very large reserve supply of helium? I would think the need for it in the medical world would be top priority.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:33 pm

I don't know why the US has the need for such a very large reserve supply of helium? I would think the need for it in the medical world would be top priority.
Years ago when I was doing research involving liquid helium it was far cheaper to get it from the government...even though we had a helium liquification machine, it only was in working order part of the time...
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Not a good idea. It's the result of the "Helium Privatization Act" introduced by Republicans in 1995/6 and signed into law by Bill Clinton.

But hey, less government regulation and ownership of the markets is supposedly a good thing right?

Surprised you think it's a bad idea...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:19 pm

Not a good idea. It's the result of the "Helium Privatization Act" introduced by Republicans in 1995/6 and signed into law by Bill Clinton.

But hey, less government regulation and ownership of the markets is supposedly a good thing right?

Know very little about it, it’s why o asked.
~Livy
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:34 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:19 pm

Know very little about it, it’s why o asked.
It's a rabbit hole worth exploring when you can. We use helium in a ton of stuff, and seem to find more national defense and public health uses for it every year among many other applications.

But yeah, this is the result of shortsighted policy legislation thats 25+ years old. Makes you wonder what we're screwing ourselves over tomorrow with bad policy today?
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

It's about time.

"FTC bans noncompete agreements, making it easier for workers to quit."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ftc-noncom ... ement-ban/
a fan

Post by a fan »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:38 pm It's about time.

"FTC bans noncompete agreements, making it easier for workers to quit."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ftc-noncom ... ement-ban/
As an employer that makes very unique things, it’s hard not having non competes. We’ve never had them, as I think they’re wrong.

As a human, we simply pay our crew so much, there’s no reason to leave. Same MO Coors used when the family owned it: their response to Unions was to make unionization a stupid move, by taking care of their people.

Imagine that?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Kodak was a big proponent of thst approach. I don’t kney ever moved off of it.

Return to “POLITICS”