Regulation - Too Much or Too Little?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Regulation - Too Much or Too Little?

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:19 am
HooDat wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:13 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:02 am
HooDat wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:59 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:57 am
HooDat wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:53 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:52 pm “I mean FANCY people, who think their degrees from FANCY schools make them more important than regular people....” Hoodatis….

This is a laughable statement….wrapped up in the idea of being circumspect….. You think people from non fancy schools, with non fancy degrees don’t believe they are more import, or even worse, “better” than some regular people? …like I said, I don’t believe in stereotypes. People are people. Some are good and some are bad. Maybe we only know what we see? That adverse selection thing again.
You are free to believe what you want, esp if it makes you feel better about yourself, but stereotypes exist for a reason. And of course stereotypes are not universal (nothing is). But, I am not being the lest bit circumspect - I stand behind the fact that a lot more fancy people from fancy schools think they are better that everyone else (than equivilent non-fancy people from non-fancy schools) - because they have been told that over and over and over again. Why wouldn't they believe it?
The reason isn’t because they are always true. How do you know what an electrician’s kid that goes to a fancy school has been told over and over again? You believe in stereotypes. It’s a free country.
You need to learn to hold more than one idea in your head at a time and not try to force everything into a universal one dimensional model. NOTHING is EVER always true.
Un huh. You are the guy that made a generalization….not me. Your opinion can be just as wrong as mine. You should stop hiring kids from fancy schools with fancy degrees and definitely should not encourage anyone to go to a fancy school and pursue a fancy degree, even if it’s the student’s choice.

Why are there stereotypes and which are true and which are false?

EDIT: Good win Saturday night
TLD - you seem to have skipped over an important part of my post - highlighted above.

The best place for each unique individual to go to school really depends on the type of life they want to build for themselves when they graduate.

re: EDIT - UVA looked pretty good against a strong Ohio State team. I was particularly pleased to see the defense play well.
I saw what you wrote. See my bold….when is it appropriate to use a stereotype for a person and when isn’t it appropriate? I don’t avoid stereotypes to make myself feel better. I was raised to take people as they come and have learned enough to realize stereotypes are not a valid way to categorize people.
I like to really lean into them hard and make caricatures out of them for ny own personal entertainment, a lot-perhaps an unhealthy amount, but try not to use them to actually index human beings.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:31 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:52 pm “I mean FANCY people, who think their degrees from FANCY schools make them more important than regular people....” Hoodatis….

This is a laughable statement….wrapped up in the idea of being circumspect….. You think people from non fancy schools, with non fancy degrees don’t believe they are more import, or even worse, “better” than some regular people? …like I said, I don’t believe in stereotypes. People are people. Some are good and some are bad. Maybe we only know what we see? That adverse selection thing again.
You are free to believe what you want, esp if it makes you feel better about yourself, but stereotypes exist for a reason. And of course stereotypes are not universal (nothing is). But, I am not being the lest bit circumspect - I stand behind the fact that a lot more fancy people from fancy schools think they are better that everyone else (than equivilent non-fancy people from non-fancy schools) - because they have been told that over and over and over again. Why wouldn't they believe it?
The reason isn’t because they are always true. How do you know what an electrician’s kid that goes to a fancy school has been told over and over again? You believe in stereotypes. It’s a free country.
You need to learn to hold more than one idea in your head at a time and not try to force everything into a universal one dimensional model. NOTHING is EVER always true.
Un huh. You are the guy that made a generalization….not me. Your opinion can be just as wrong as mine. You should stop hiring kids from fancy schools with fancy degrees and definitely should not encourage anyone to go to a fancy school and pursue a fancy degree, even if it’s the student’s choice.

TLD - you seem to have skipped over an important part of my post - highlighted above.

The best place for each unique individual to go to school really depends on the type of life they want to build for themselves when they graduate.

re: EDIT - UVA looked pretty good against a strong Ohio State team. I was particularly pleased to see the defense play well.
I saw what you wrote. See my bold….when is it appropriate to use a stereotype for a person and when isn’t it appropriate? I don’t avoid stereotypes to make myself feel better. I was raised to take people as they come and have learned enough to realize stereotypes are not a valid way to categorize people.
I like to really lean into them hard and make caricatures out of them for ny own personal entertainment, a lot-perhaps an unhealthy amount, but try not to use them to actually index human beings.
I recently told a good friend of mine from college that I really didn’t know what stereotypes where regarding lots of ethnic groups until I went to college. I knew what some black stereotypes types were but learned a lot more of them when I got to college. I found many of them to be funny. Found out more when I started my mass media communications classes…

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:38 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:31 pm

I recently told a good friend of mine from college that I really didn’t know what stereotypes where regarding lots of ethnic groups until I went to college. I knew what some black stereotypes types were but learned a lot more of them when I got to college. I found many of them to be funny. Found out more when I started my mass media communications classes…

That movie is great.

One of my favorite parts:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vkkM9YAJ-Ts
See Martin, Malcolm
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Nobody wants your drugs around here Louis

Fancy People.jpg
Fancy People.jpg (21.11 KiB) Viewed 471 times
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:53 pm Nobody wants your drugs around here Louis

Fancy People.jpg
Typical Lax Dad

My favorite line in the film next to “oh sure..he went to Harvard”…
Typical Lax Dad

Not from a fancy school and no fancy degree but acting like a fancy person…
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:35 pm
HooDat wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:53 pm Nobody wants your drugs around here Louis

Fancy People.jpg
THAT's the one I was actually looking for.... :lol:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:35 pm

Fancy People.jpg
THAT's the one I was actually looking for.... :lol:
Slendid…. Cheerio old chap. Have Wilson bring the car ‘round… phone your manservant and have turndown service this evening…
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Fancy People.jpg
Because he was accused of having the wrong drugs!
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:46 pm

All I recall from that scene is the wader high pants and socks, you sir are suspect and “retaaainer”
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:18 pm

All I recall from that seen is the wader high pants and socks, you sir are suspect and “retaaainer”
It was a good movie. I loved his use of fancy language.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Concurrently heretofore

And I now can search this conversation by using that whack term so “lemonade out of lemons”.

On the subject conversation on higher Ed did you (and Hoo) see the WSJ piece today on Colorado College pulling out of USNWR?

Colorado College Withdraws From U.S. News & World Report Undergrad Ranking

School is the highest-ranked liberal-arts college to stop cooperating with powerful ranking

Melissa KornFeb. 27, 2023 9:00 am ET

“We have a very strong vision for where we want to go in the future. Those metrics that U.S. News measures are just inconsistent with who we are,” said Colorado College President L. Song Richardson. The school has consistently ranked among the nation’s top 30 liberal-arts colleges by U.S. News & World Report’s measure, landing at No. 27 on the latest list.

Colorado’s withdrawal follows a string of defections by top-ranked law and medical schools since November, signaling that dissatisfaction with the rankings’ methodology and power is continuing to spread.

Advertisement - Scroll to Continue

U.S. News has said it would continue to rank schools even if they don’t provide survey responses, relying instead on publicly available information. Chief Executive Eric Gertler said the publication provides prospective students with valuable data, and the rankings should be just one component of their decision-making process.

Newsletter Sign-up

Education

Select coverage from the WSJ's education bureau on the state of schools and learning, curated by bureau chief Chastity Pratt and sent to you via email.

Ms. Richardson said U.S. News’ practice of looking at admitted students’ rank in their high-school class goes against Colorado College’s focus on creative students who may not have the highest grades. The peer academic-reputation survey that counts for 20% of the total ranking is little more than a beauty contest that some presidents try to game by currying favor with others who cast votes or by giving competitors low marks to boost themselves, she said.

She also said that while U.S. News & World Report had a noble intention by taking into account graduates’ debt loads, the ranking created a perverse incentive for schools to admit a wealthier group of students who wouldn’t need to borrow money to attend.

“Those metrics are about wealth and privilege, and we are about access, mobility, opportunity and transformation,” Ms. Richardson said. She said her leadership team surveyed students, alumni, parents and faculty before making the decision to withdraw.

In November, Yale Law School said it would no longer provide data to U.S. News & World Report to help the publication compile its law-school rankings. The perennial No. 1-ranked school was followed in quick succession by 11 of the other top 14 law schools, as well as dozens of others that traditionally landed lower down in the ranks.

U.S. News & World Report adjusted its methodology for law-school rankings after the exodus; among other changes, it will rely less on peer reputation surveys and recalibrate how it weighs the employment status of graduates who take school-funded fellowships.

Last month, the medical schools at Harvard University, Stanford University, Columbia University, Duke University and other prestigious programs said they, too, will no longer respond to data requests from U.S. News & World Report.

The Rhode Island School of Design said earlier this month that it, too, won’t provide requested data to the U.S. News ranking of undergraduate schools. Until last year, the art school was listed as an unranked specialty school; in the latest ranking, it came in at No. 3 among regional universities in the north.

That shift in classification spurred a broader reconsideration of the ranking, and President Crystal Williams said the school doesn’t measure its academic programs or students the same way U.S. News does.

Many college presidents say that while they dislike the rankings, they can’t walk away because the lists are powerful recruiting and marketing tools.

Some administrators point to Reed College in Portland, Ore., as a cautionary tale. That school said in 1995 that it would no longer cooperate with U.S. News rankings after a Wall Street Journal article detailed the ways many schools manipulated their numbers. After pulling out, Reed fell into the bottom tier of liberal-arts colleges. It has since moved back up, to No. 72 last year.

Colorado College said it would study the impact of its rankings withdrawal on application numbers, fundraising success, alumni engagement and other areas, and share information with any other schools that are interested in seeing the potential effects of such a move.

“It’s a risky decision,” Ms. Richardson said. “We would love other schools to join us.”

Write to Melissa Korn at [email protected]

See Martin, Malcolm
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:40 pm

All I recall from that seen is the wader high pants and socks, you sir are suspect and “retaaainer”
Applesauce... b*****

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:19 pm

Applesauce... b*****

Well if we’re going there…I AM THE CLIT COMMANDER!
See Martin, Malcolm
Typical Lax Dad

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:19 pm

Applesauce... b*****

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’m sure there’s unintended consequences I haven’t thought of but I kind of like this structure of natural consequences and accountability as an incentive system:

Justice Department Seeks to Spread the Pain of Corporate Fines to Executives at Fault

Under a new pilot program, companies will be able to deduct from their criminal penalties money they claw back from culpable executives, Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco says

Dylan TokarMarch 2, 2023 10:09 am ET

Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco said the Justice Department is looking to shift the burden of corporate wrongdoing from shareholders.
Photo: mandel ngan/Agence France-Presse/Getty Images
The Justice Department is looking to hit lawbreaking corporate executives where it hurts: their paychecks.

A new pilot program introduced this week encourages companies to leverage their compensation policies to reward good behavior by executives while punishing those who are involved in criminal offenses, Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco said Thursday.

The program, previewed by Ms. Monaco during an American Bar Association conference in Miami, allows companies to use executive-pay clawbacks to offset some of the financial penalties imposed on them when their employees violate the law.

“Our goal is simple: to shift the burden of corporate wrongdoing away from shareholders, who frequently play no role in misconduct, onto those directly responsible,” Ms. Monaco said.

Newsletter Sign-up

WSJ | Risk and Compliance Journal

Our Morning Risk Report features insights and news on governance, risk and compliance.

The use of executive compensation in the fight against corporate crime was first floated by Ms. Monaco in a speech last year. It is the latest in a spate of changes the Justice Department has made in an effort to crack down on misconduct by companies and their executives.

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission already has the ability to force chief executives and chief financial officers to return bonuses and other incentive pay when their companies run afoul of accounting rules, and regulators there have moved to expand their rules on clawbacks.

Justice Department officials say that rules already in place on clawbacks were narrow in nature, and that their new initiative will help instill more effective and consistent practices among a larger swath of companies.

Every settlement negotiated by prosecutors in the Justice Department’s criminal division will now include a requirement that the company entering into it develop compensation policies that promote compliant behavior by its executives, Ms. Monaco said.

Such a requirement has already made its way into several of the department’s cases, including in a $2 billion settlement late last year with Danske Bank A/S over anti-money-laundering failures at the bank’s former branch in Estonia.

In Danske’s case, the bank agreed to implement a system that would withhold bonuses to executives who fail to ensure their department is in line with the organization’s overall policies around applicable laws and regulations.

A second part of the pilot program announced by Ms. Monaco seeks to encourage companies to go even further, by clawing back pay when executives are involved in misconduct.

Companies that seek to recoup pay from such employees will be able to deduct it from their own criminal penalties, Ms. Monaco said. Those that try but fail to claw back compensation could still be eligible to receive some credit under the program, she said.

Further details about the new policy will be released on Friday, Ms. Monaco said.

Write to Dylan Tokar at [email protected]
See Martin, Malcolm
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

There needs to be testing for dioxins in East Palestine and areas impacted by black soot from chemical burn.

“he decision to release and burn five tanker cars of vinyl chloride and other chemicals at the site of a 38-car derailment in East Palestine, Ohio, just over three weeks ago unleashed a gigantic cloud full of particulates that enveloped surrounding neighborhoods and farms in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

It is well documented that burning chlorinated chemicals like vinyl chloride will generate dioxins. “Dioxin” is the name given to a group of persistent, very toxic chemicals that share similar chemical structures. The most toxic form of dioxin is 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin or TCDD. TCDD is more commonly recognized as the toxic contaminant found in Agent Orange and at Love Canal, New York and Times Beach, Missouri, both sites of two of the most tragic environmental catastrophes in US history.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nt-dioxins
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Some for you, and some for your neighbors.

“Contaminated soil from the site around the East Palestine train wreck in Ohio is being sent to a nearby incinerator with a history of clean air violations, raising fears that the chemicals being removed from the ground will be redistributed across the region.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... lment-soil

It’s like a ….slow-motion….trainwreck…
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Good news for afan

Jack Daniel's Forced To Halt Warehouse Construction Amid Black Fungus Controversy

Placeholder
Jack Daniel's parent company has halted construction of a new barrelhouse over concerns it is spreading black fungus to nearby properties.

Jack Daniel’s label isn’t the only thing black in Tennessee. And now that color is forcing the distiller of one of the world’s best-selling liquors to halt construction on a new barrel warehouse.

Lincoln County Chancellor J.B. Cox issued a court order that in effect keeps Jack Daniel’s parent company Brown-Forman Corp. from completing construction of a new barrelhouse over complaints by a local resident that ethanol vapors released from the aging whiskey are causing an epidemic of black fungus growth in the nearby community, Insider reported.

The fungus, called Baudoinia compniacensis, feeds off the distilling vapors released from wooden barrels of aging whiskeys, vodkas and rums, and can spur the growth of the splotchy black mold on building siding, metal signs, bricks, vehicles and plants. The vapor, dubbed “angel’s share” by the industry, is a common byproduct of the distilling process, The Guardian reported.

While the lawsuit filed by local residents Christi and Patrick Long doesn't involve Brown-Forman directly, the ruling is forcing the company to temporarily suspend work on the new barrel warehouse, which can store upward of 67,000 barrels of whiskey. Brown-Forman has plans for 14 more barrelhouses in the area, Insider reported.

The Longs alleged that the Lincoln County Planning & Zoning Department didn't enforce the need for ventilation systems in the warehouses to control vapor emissions, which has caused black fungus to propagate on their wedding venue and other properties, forcing them to spend $10K to power wash their structures.

The chancellor said the county didn't enforce its zoning laws for the construction of the barrelhouses and that the planning commission must grant site plan approval before construction can restart, Insider reported.

"If you have any decent nails on you and you rode it down the side of a tree or a property within a quarter of a mile to a half-mile of these barrel houses, your entire finger will be covered in black fungus," Patrick Long told Insider. "You can't see the tree limbs anymore. Our house, we have to have it pressure-washed four times a year now."

Jack Daniel’s, which is based in Lynchburg, Tennessee, produces 2 million barrels a year across 92 barrelhouses, according to the company’s website. Brown-Forman is in growth mode, having recently agreed to acquire Gin Mare and Mareliquid Vantguard ultra-premium gin brand for nearly $500M and the Diplomatico Rum brand from United Group and Destilerias Unidas Corp. for $725M. The company reported $2.1B in net sales for the six-month period ending in October, an increase of 11% from the previous year, Brown-Forman reported in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing.

Long’s attorney, Jason Holleman, told a Fox-affiliated news station that his clients were “pleased with the court’s ruling.”

“We are hopeful that their ultimate concerns about air quality and building safety will be addressed as the distiller now moves through the proper planning and building approval processes,” Holleman said.
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “POLITICS”