Centennial Conference 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxisback

Re: Centennial Conference 2023

Post by Laxisback »

I agree with Laxdad, also CNUs 1st 2 SSDM are better as well. CNU would have hung 20 easily but they played keep away the last quarter running out the clock. The score does not show the real domination by CNU. I believe it was 16-7 at one point and Gettysburg put up 5 in the last few minutes, mostly on man up.

Also anyone know what the deal was with the a Gettysburg fan, I hear a sibling of a player yelling and going after their coach after the game, not a good look, assume it was a senior brother.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

formerwclaxer wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:45 pm Swarthmore...Holly cow. Looking at Grove's out of conference results it seems they got seriously trashed whenever they played a solid opponent. I expected so much more from Swarth.
Honestly, the only thing that made it more palatable was that GC gave W&L a good game the day after.

I think there is a lot to be said for big-game experience. GC has been to the last three tournaments, while most of the Swat players had never played in a conference tournament game before this year. Multiple times this year they let multiple goal leads slip in the last few minutes, and this time weren't able to make up for it in OT.

Still an absolutely fantastic season, and they will have one of the smallest graduation hits of any of the CC teams. I'm already excited to see what this group can do next year, especially with some great big-game experience and a nice chip on the shoulder for the offseason. But that can wait, as I sincerely hope the squad is catching up on their celebration time as it is now Senior Week.
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

As all the CC teams seasons are officially over I think its time to quickly reflect and look forward to next season(along with my way to early predictions)

Playoff teams

1.Dickinson- The Devils have now put together 2 incredible seasons(36-5 record overall). Unfortunately their luck ran out vs a very good CNU team but this program has been set up for multiple years of success with great recruiting. Yes they do lose 4 starters including their all everything goalie but I have no doubt that Coach Webster will have this team playing their best lacrosse in late may. On offense they should be even better with some of the younger players continuing to develop and stepping into bigger roles. Health was a bit of a concern at times, a summer of rest should get guys back feeling good heading into next fall. If Dickinson can find some goalie support they will yet again have the team set up for a May playoff run.

2. Swarthmore- What a year for the Garnett, and although it may have ended with a disappointing loss to Grove City in the NCAAs, there is so much to build upon. Mabbs is an absolute problem for defenses and he has really developed into a passer in his second season. The offense plays so well together and their off ball movement really sets them apart. Additionally they seemed to have found consistency in the cage down the stretch of the season and the young freshman will only get better. As far as graduation I don't see much in terms a loss. The big question is can this team repeat the close game success? They had a stretch this season where everything broke their way. The CC is a tough conference to live that dangerously in but im betting on Coach Gress

3. Franklin and Marshall- The Dips could never get momentum the entire year. I chalk the inconsistency up to an extremely youthful group, but my gosh they can score. They lose a few offensive and defensive pieces but we all know how much the freshman to sophomore jump is going to be for a lot of these guys. My concern really is facing off and on defense, are we sure the 2 goalie system in a good thing? or did is cost the Dips a game? They seemed to have settled on Mueller in the CC playoffs and to be honest I thought it was the best the played all year. Im buying stock early in the Dips that they figured some things out and will return to were they have been since 2017.

4. Gettysburg- Gettysburg season really got off to a bang but fizzled out with inconsistent goalie and face-off play. The defense did not play up to their talent level and im not sure how much better this team got over the last month of the season.A mass graduation is coming for the Bullets and they have to replace multiple starters on both sides of the ball. Im anticipating a slightly down year for them especially if they cannot resolve the issues that I mentioned above. Also perplexing to see them struggling with Swarthmore as they were the more talented team. Im not so high on this coaching staff as others but going 13-5 with this schedule is quite impressive.

Fighting for the 5th spot

5.WAC- Okay okay hear me out. The Shoremen do graduate quite a bit all over the field but this staff enters year 3 and after taking a very positive step in the right direction on the field, I have to believe we are making tremendous strides in recruiting and in talent development. Washington was in quite a few games this year but defensively we have to become more consistent. At times it felt like the plan was to play zone and hope Corrigan would get hot and carry us. On offense I loved our fast pace style. We can score with anyone in the conference. 3 games decided by 3 goals or less tells me we are closer then even the biggest WAC haters want to admit and if we flip 2 of those 3 we are a playoff team. Plus I think the teams below us just graduate more.

6. Ursinus- The Bears really struggled this season under this new young staff. Poor goalie play, inconsistent offensive production and unforced turnovers never allowed any rhythm to be built by what I think is the toughest team in the CC. Alot of graduation on offense has me skeptical that this team will be able to have the firepower to compete with the top 4 like they have in the past. Additionally their best defender moves on. I could see the Bears finishing as high as 5th and as low as 8th in the conference. This will be a rebuilding year

7. Muhlenberg- The Mules have become my second fav team to watch over the last few season and unfortunately this transformative class looks to be moving on. Grossman will be missed after 6 seasons, what a player he was. On offense there are quite a few losses, and replacing May won't be that easy. Again a team that is going to have to overcome mass turnover which could lead to some growing pains especially vs the top of the conference. I do predict this defense will yet again be one of the best in the conference as they are very well coached and organized. Its tough playing close games though and the Mules did sneak away with a few games this year. They could make the playoffs but I think its gonna be tough

8. Haverford- The Fords caught fire the last month of the season and had some great upsets vs Muhlenberg and Ursinus. Can they build upon the end of season momentum and push themselves into the playoffs? A look at the roster tells me this team does bring back a lot including the best returning goalie in the conference. The biggest question is who is the new coach? Does that benefit or hurt them? To me this team could be as high as 5th and as low as 9th but it really depends on the new staff and how they continue to develop

9. McDaniel- This Terror team was the best I've seen in quite some time.A program that took a humongous step forward but still have so far to go. I thought they would break through and find a conference win this. year and were close in a few games. I like were this team is going, it does look like they are going to graduate some pieces on offense and on defense which could sting but at some point(my guess is sooner) they are going to beat someone in a conference game.
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

Great recap. Question: do you think this is the most competitive conference top to bottom? I think they are right up there with Liberty and NESCAC
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

SKUD wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:41 am Question: do you think this is the most competitive conference top to bottom? I think they are right up there with Liberty and NESCAC
1a-NESCAC
1b-Centennial
2-Liberty
3-CSC
4-NCAC
5-ODAC
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:21 am
Gonna be a very tough conference next year! Can't wait
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

SKUD wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:41 am Great recap. Question: do you think this is the most competitive conference top to bottom? I think they are right up there with Liberty and NESCAC
This season was the most competitive season I've seen since ive been following dating back to when I played in the MAC conference and having watched the formation of the CC. Talent wise id give the NESCAC the advantage but any given game the bottom of the conference this year could rise up and knock off the top of the conference
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

I guess that was more of what I was trying to ask. What do we think is the most competitive amongst itself from top to bottom? What conference has teams that all beat each other up and the bottom teams are competitive?
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

F&M stud freshman starting attackman Tommy Garofalo transferred to Boston U. In his first year he went for 5th in school history in goals/season.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Does anyone know if George Raymond ended up anywhere? He was a good player at Gburg.
GoTerriers8

Post by GoTerriers8 »

With all of Hank's recruits graduating, has Toner recruited enough to keep the bullets in contention? Seems like all his guys the last 2 seasons have graduated.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

We shall soon find out. All indications are and from what I'm hearing all should be well in Gettysburg.
GO BULLETS!
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

GoTerriers8 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:42 pm With all of Hank's recruits graduating, has Toner recruited enough to keep the bullets in contention? Seems like all his guys the last 2 seasons have graduated.
They have brought in 50 recruits (and counting) in the past three recruiting classes. I don't think recruiting is an issue.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

D3LaxFan2 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:58 am
GoTerriers8 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:42 pm With all of Hank's recruits graduating, has Toner recruited enough to keep the bullets in contention? Seems like all his guys the last 2 seasons have graduated.
They have brought in 50 recruits (and counting) in the past three recruiting classes. I don't think recruiting is an issue.
You’re right they will be fine. But bringing in 50 kids only matters if you can field 10 great ones.
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:10 am
D3LaxFan2 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:58 am
You’re right they will be fine. But bringing in 50 kids only matters if you can field 10 great ones.
Its no secret I was a very big fan of Hank as I always respected him for his willingness to mention his faith, and I probably have been more critical of Toner then most only based on reports I have received from parents who were or are still associated with the program. Gettysburg was one of the most talented teams I watched over the last 2 seasons, they started slow in 2022 and caught fire down the stretch of the season, in 2023 it was the the exact opposite. I expected them to take a step back solely based on the sheer amount they have graduated(skill and playing experience) over the last 2 seasons. Couple that with them being in the bottom tier of the conference in the "specialty positions", I see some of that youth being exposed, especially in the early season. Im not saying they are gonna lose to the bottom of the CC, but im predicting a 4th place regular season finish in the CC standing and probably 10-6 or 11-5 based on if they play a similar schedule to last season. They will be a fringe Pool C team. I don't know if this is a knock on Toner and more of a credit to Hank for having brought in such talented players down the stretch of his career that really boosted Toners first 2 seasons. Time will tell if Toner is some one who can elevate the program to a national champion
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:21 am Fighting for the 5th spot

5.WAC- Okay okay hear me out. The Shoremen do graduate quite a bit all over the field but this staff enters year 3 and after taking a very positive step in the right direction on the field, I have to believe we are making tremendous strides in recruiting and in talent development. Washington was in quite a few games this year but defensively we have to become more consistent. At times it felt like the plan was to play zone and hope Corrigan would get hot and carry us. On offense I loved our fast pace style. We can score with anyone in the conference. 3 games decided by 3 goals or less tells me we are closer then even the biggest WAC haters want to admit and if we flip 2 of those 3 we are a playoff team. Plus I think the teams below us just graduate more.
Yeah, that fast paced offense seemed to generate a lot of turnovers last year too. Would be a fun system to play in offensively. Gotta think Nostrant will be doubling down on clearing, riding, and transition defense to help steal a few more possessions. Your FO tandem did pretty well in most of their matchups. Get the dot results to like a .6 and who knows what happens down the stretch.

Love the competitiveness of the CC. Some really fun ball going on the last couple seasons.
GoTerriers8

Post by GoTerriers8 »

Way too early Rankings:

1/2- Dickinson and Swarthmore
Dickinson experienced yet graduated a lot. Swarthmore graduated nothing, but have only experienced 1 playoffs.

3- Gettysburg
Graduated everything, but must have still talent

4-Muhlenburg
Graduated everything as well

5- F&M
Experienced coaches, mostly experienced team, tough to see Garafolo leave

6-Haverford
Some young bright spots last year, hopefully new coach works well

7/8- WAC and McDaniel
WAC Graduated the little they had, McDaniel graduated a bit but stars on offense return, almost cracked a few games last year.

Thoughts?
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

GoTerriers8 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:23 pm Way too early Rankings:

Dickinson experienced yet graduated a lot. Swarthmore graduated nothing, but have only experienced 1 playoffs.

3- Gettysburg

4-Muhlenburg

5- F&M

6-Haverford

7/8- WAC and McDaniel
WAC Graduated the little they had, McDaniel graduated a bit but stars on offense return, almost cracked a few games last year.

Thoughts?
Is Ursinus not playing lacrosse this year?
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

laxrules wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:03 am

3- Gettysburg

4-Muhlenburg

5- F&M

6-Haverford

7/8- WAC and McDaniel

Thoughts?
Dickinson
Swat
Gburg
F&M
Mules
Wac
Ursinus
Hav
McD

Is it true Plunkett may be departing Allentown?
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

ChopMan23 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:22 am
laxrules wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:03 am

3- Gettysburg

4-Muhlenburg

5- F&M

6-Haverford

7/8- WAC and McDaniel

Thoughts?
Dickinson
Swat
Gburg
F&M
Mules
Wac
Ursinus
Hav
McD

Is it true Plunkett may be departing Allentown?
No

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”