Mental Health, Abuse and reporting in Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Re: Mental Health, Abuse and reporting in Women's Lacrosse

Post by 8meterPA »

Memyself wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:13 pm John Sung 'resigns/retires' midseason after team's Spring Break trip......per Instagram coachjsung:
Man, not sure what to think of this one. Appreciate the fact that this guy has dedicated his career to coaching but just hasn't worked out wherever he went...resigning mid-season is a bit out of the norm.

Women's lacrosse, at every level, has such a shortage of good coaches. The growth of the game outstripped the support and career path/training for the position.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:04 am
Memyself wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:13 pm John Sung 'resigns/retires' midseason after team's Spring Break trip......per Instagram coachjsung:
Man, not sure what to think of this one. Appreciate the fact that this guy has dedicated his career to coaching but just hasn't worked out wherever he went...resigning mid-season is a bit out of the norm.

Women's lacrosse, at every level, has such a shortage of good coaches. The growth of the game outstripped the support and career path/training for the position.
What causes a coach to quit mid-season?
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Wild speculation but spring break shenanigans come to mind.
Parents are often on these trips. Maybe they saw something?

Or a health issue perhaps?
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

The Colgate student newspaper is now covering the KT story:
https://thecolgatemaroonnews.com/41846/ ... sse-coach/
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

This was several years and a couple of ADs ago (2017), but the long-time women's soccer coach was fired after similar allegations. The players at the time considered her removal their legacy to the program.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:39 am The Colgate student newspaper is now covering the KT story:
Hmmm. At the bottom of the article it says This is a developing story.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:00 am This was several years and a couple of ADs ago (2017), but the long-time women's soccer coach was fired after similar allegations. The players at the time considered her removal their legacy to the program.
At Colgate?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dasher wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:28 am
Can Opener wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:39 am The Colgate student newspaper is now covering the KT story:
Hmmm. At the bottom of the article it says This is a developing story.
this could be the beginning of the end for KT as a coach at Colgate. This school doesn't hold itself to it's own lofty standards of creating a safe, inclusive environment, it's totally ignored the facts presented to them and has tried to sweep them under the carpet and run out the clock. Sad.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Colgate issued this response a few minutes ago which said in part:

“Since the conclusion of the review, the University has not received any similar reports or concerns from current student-athletes about Coach Kathy Taylor or any other member of the coaching staff.”

https://thecolgatemaroonnews.com/41857/ ... sse-coach/

Last summer Colgate instituted measures to address the allegations. While it is clear those steps did not satisfy some individuals who appear to no longer be involved with the program, I think it’s better to see whether these measures accomplish what they are designed to do. If they don’t, then further action can be taken. If they do, that would be a good thing.

It is encouraging to hear that there have been no new complaints this year.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Brownlax wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:12 am
watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:00 am This was several years and a couple of ADs ago (2017), but the long-time women's soccer coach was fired after similar allegations. The players at the time considered her removal their legacy to the program.
At Colgate?
Yes,
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:07 pm Colgate issued this response a few minutes ago which said in part:

“Since the conclusion of the review, the University has not received any similar reports or concerns from current student-athletes about Coach Kathy Taylor or any other member of the coaching staff.”

Last summer Colgate instituted measures to address the allegations. While it is clear those steps did not satisfy some individuals who appear to no longer be involved with the program, I think it’s better to see whether these measures accomplish what they are designed to do. If they don’t, then further action can be taken. If they do, that would be a good thing.

I have to wonder…… if the environment is as toxic as has been described, what is the likelihood that any kid currently on the team opens their mouth?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Given all that has gone on, I would guess a high likelihood. Would be much easier to be believed at this point, if it happened again.

I'll ask a related question. Given all the allegations against the coach, what is the likelihood the coach is continuing with the same type of behavior for which she's been criticized?
lax410

Post by lax410 »

njbill wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:07 pm Colgate issued this response a few minutes ago which said in part:

I’m confused about the reports that there are no new complaints this academic year given the student newspaper’s account that 7 players have quit since the start of the 2022-2023 academic year. Maybe they have not “complained”, but 7 players is a lot to lose. Especially after “measures” were taken following the investigation.
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:41 pm Given all that has gone on, I would guess a high likelihood.
I would sit the other way. Likely hood of 0. Especially if they feel those who did go were left out to dry.

That is a fair question. But the power resides on one side of the ledger with the current players.
njbill

Post by njbill »

lax410 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:48 pm

I’m confused about the reports that there are no new complaints this academic year given the student newspaper’s account that 7 players have quit since the start of the 2022-2023 academic year. Maybe they have not “complained”, but 7 players is a lot to lose. Especially after “measures” were taken following the investigation.
My guess is some players quit when the university did not fire the coach after the review was completed in (I think) August 2022, but that their issues with the coach emanated from the 2022 season and before and not after the review was concluded. Those decisions to quit, I am guessing, were communicated to the school and/or were put into place at the beginning of the school year or shortly thereafter. Again, just my read, but if there had been a complaint during fall (2022) ball, then the university's statement from earlier today wouldn't be accurate. Assuming it is accurate, that says to me there weren't any complaints during fall ball or this spring. It is possible, of course, that a player quit this school year based on something that happened this year but had never registered a complaint about it.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Bart wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:49 pm
njbill wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:41 pm Given all that has gone on, I would guess a high likelihood.
I would sit the other way. Likely hood of 0. Especially if they feel those who did go were left out to dry.

That is a fair question. But the power resides on one side of the ledger with the current players.
We disagree, then, on how the current players would handle it. I would add, there are some babysitters in place now (I think more than one). Hopefully they would report up the chain if there were ongoing problems even if the players would not.

If I understand your second response, that's a good thing, isn't it? Isn't it good if the coach feels she has to toe the line because the players now have the power? Makes it more likely she will.
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:21 pm
Bart wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:49 pm

We disagree, then, on how the current players would handle it. I would add, there are some babysitters in place now (I think more than one). Hopefully they would report up the chain if there were ongoing problems even if the players would not.

If I understand your second response, that's a good thing, isn't it? Isn't it good if the coach feels she has to toe the line because the players now have the power? Makes it more likely she will.
No. I think we are miles apart. I wrote the second part horribly. The power resides completely with the coach, imo, not the players. Players want to do nothing but play and I doubt they will cross those keeping them on/off the field.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Isn't that where the baby sitters come in then?
Bart

Post by Bart »

njbill wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:30 pm Isn't that where the baby sitters come in then?
I suppose it is what they are supposed to do in theory. Question is what do they do in practice. IDK.
Sllaxdad

Post by Sllaxdad »

a similar situation involving players and a coach at a Northern Nj all girls, private high school was similarly handled. After several families made complaints, and another transferred, The school assigned an administrator to attend each practice and game. Counselors were also assigned for the student athletes. It was a band-aid. The bullying shifted from direct action by the coach to the favorite players who were empowered, and rewarded with playing time and other subliminal approval by the staff. The other kids simply towed the line. After one season of this unconventional interaction, the coach left the school for another coaching position. Having outsiders monitor conduct is another example of an interim measure. How long can that continue. IMO, It’s inevitable that this coach will need to move on, just when not if.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”