Mental Health, Abuse and reporting in Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Brownlax

Re: Mental Health, Abuse and reporting in Women's Lacrosse

Post by Brownlax »

laxinallthetime wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:35 pm So we see all these very supportive organizations on mental health all over social and being brought to college campuses yet athletes are still afraid to speak up about toxic coaches, why is that? Unfortuantely I know one or two athletes who are dealing with toxic coaches but no one wants to come forward. The schools which they attend allow "anonymous reporting" via a compliance center but how anonymous is it really? The fear of retaliation is very real as evidenced by upper classman who voiced their concerns years prior and were ultimately benched. What does every one consider toxic? Demeaning, degrading comments? Passive aggresive remarks that systematically breaks some one down and these remarks come where no one else witnesses it? Or humilating an athelet in front of other players? What does one do when there are three or four coaches on staff and one is the bully? not necissarily the head coach but an assistant and the others meekly sit by and allow that one to bully and intimidate atheletes? And when the meek coaches are without the bully they are completely different people? Seriously the mental abuse has to stop. When will coaches get it?
I know of a coach that was actually under investigation from the school. During the investigation she held a team meeting and said to the girls - "I know some of your parents have a big problem with me, do any of you have a problem with me?" What kid is going to raise their hand nad let her know?

She was made to take classes to self improve - that's all.
Last edited by Brownlax on Wed May 01, 2024 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

This whole mental health in women's lacrosse is a farce. The best I heard it summed up was from a 16 year old girl from my daughter’s team. She told the parents if these college coaches were actually concerned about women’s mental health you would think they would handle recruiting differently. Between the way they ghost and stringing girls along. Why don’t they all just say you’re number 5 on our list. That’s what they expect us to do when they ask us where are they on our college list.

I definitely agree with her. None of these coaches are concerned about mental health. They’re concerned about winning. And that’s fine, but let’s not be hypocritical about it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I've heard some brutal stories from players, past and current, about how coaches are. I'm stunned at some of the things they are able to get away with. Just absolutely degrading methods of "motivating" those under their charge--like depriving them of toilet paper on a long bus ride home from a game because the coach wasn't pleased with their play. These are adults we're talking about here. I'm amazed they're able to get away with it. And fear is indeed a big factor, which the upperclassers get involved with as well, intimidating the underclassers to not saying anything so as to preserve the "harmony" on the team.

Such dysfunction in 21st century collegiate America is mind-boggling. And nothing will change until the NCAA gets off its lazy, fat, money-grubbing ass and starts getting involved.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:33 pm I definitely agree with her. None of these coaches are concerned about mental health. They’re concerned about winning. And that’s fine, but let’s not be hypocritical about it.
HEALTHIER PLAYERS = MORE WINNING!

Not either/or. If coaches don't embrace every opportunity to support healthier players, do they really want to win? It takes time, effort, resources and culture shift. Only the coaches who invest (wisely, of course) in supporting mental health stand to see the return on that investment (winning).

Not calling you out at all, Relax. Just pointing out the disconnect.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

GratefulRed wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:32 pm
Relax77 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:33 pm I definitely agree with her. None of these coaches are concerned about mental health. They’re concerned about winning. And that’s fine, but let’s not be hypocritical about it.

Not either/or. If coaches don't embrace every opportunity to support healthier players, do they really want to win? It takes time, effort, resources and culture shift. Only the coaches who invest (wisely, of course) in supporting mental health stand to see the return on that investment (winning).

I think you missed the point. She is 10000000% accurate. If they cared for mental health, they wouldn’t heck with the 15 they call, don’t take, but string along. All they care about is who they commit.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:23 pm
GratefulRed wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:32 pm

I think you missed the point. She is 10000000% accurate. If they cared for mental health, they wouldn’t heck with the 15 they call, don’t take, but string along. All they care about is who they commit.
Agreed. If a coach treats kids like that it should be a red flag regarding the culture of the program being represented--as with many of the other previous examples above. I snipped part of your quote slightly out of context to (awkwardly) make a broader point--but I think the same point, kinda?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”