Mental Health, Abuse and reporting in Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
lax410

Re: Mental Health, Abuse and reporting in Women's Lacrosse

Post by lax410 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:28 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:47 pm long-time read, first time poster here.

My 2024 daughter was recruited aggressively by Colgate this past fall. She ultimately decided to commit to another school (D1 with strong academics). Wanted to share our experiences within the recruiting process. We had heard rumors about this program in the past, but that didn't really impact our decisions.

Ultimately, the deciding factor came down to a few things

1) Coaching style. My daughter absolutely loved the lead assistant Jess but didn't really connect to Kathy. If Colgate had named the assistant the head coach, my daughter probably would have committed to Colgate.

Nothing that negative at all she just really wasn't able to relate to her the way coaches at other schools could. The one comment I remember, "I know she isn't that old, but it feels like she is 60." Also, when my daughter asked questions about her offensive strategy, she dismissed them and pretty much said, "we will run, whatever I decide". Also whenever she complimented her, it was always about physical things. (eg. "I love your height and speed. we need an entire team build like you."). Nothing wrong with that per say, it just rubbed her the wrong way.

2) Players on team. We are from an area which has several girls on the team. Feedback is the team is very clique-ish. There is definitely an us against them mentality of underclassmen vs older girls. Very different than at other schools we talked to.

3) Budget. Maybe this is just perception, but Colgate felt like it didn't have close to the resources as other schools we looked at (mostly Ivy and Patriot League). Whether it was not the nicest warmup or cheap jerseys at prospect days, it definitely sent a message that the school wasn't investing in the program.
Very interesting comments.

Putting aside the specifics re Colgate and staying on the general topic, the #1 section is quite interesting. The "age" needn't be a negative, if a coach exudes energy and cultural awareness, as well as competence and authority, but the proxy "60" is likely more about this notion that players need to shut up and do as the coach directs...players have never actually liked that approach, but now they're willing to walk from it. They want to be part of the choices made, a natural thing at this age as they become adult and gain 'ownership' of themselves...and their team. The 'best' coaches have always understood and tapped into this, but too many substituted authority for internal motivation.

The answer about offensive strategy was a huge 'tell',,,good for your daughter for picking up on that dismissiveness. Frankly, that was a weird answer for someone who presumably does have a "strategy" or "theory"...how hard is it to say something like, "we really value ball movement and off ball movement, with a green light for the players to take it hard when the team creates a window..."...how you get there is way more specific, but how about "we also evaluate our opponent's strengths and weaknesses and look to exploit those"...or some such generalization? But "we will run whatever I decide" message...yuck...

The body type, physical attributes, is a very common 'tell' as well...what it really means is that the coach doesn't value the internal drive, the field IQ, the technical disciplines, the 'big-game' nerves...etc that a player may bring to the table as well as such physical attributes...maybe because they haven't done enough homework on the specific recruit, maybe because they simply don't value such attributes as much as more obvious physical attributes. Either way, the coach isn't communicating what makes the player special in ways she can actually control and take pride in, as physical is genetic...am I proud that I'm tall, or am I proud that I'm tough under pressure? Do you see me coach?

Good luck to your daughter.
Very good points. I had a similar reaction to the post but couldn’t quite articulate why those answers seemed off. You explained it well.
kidsgame

Post by kidsgame »

Has Colgate hired a new AD yet?
laxfan999

Post by laxfan999 »

Is there any chance Northwestern lacrosse gets dragged into the hazing mess there? So far football, baseball and soccer have been named as well as “players from other sports”..
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

laxfan999 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:30 pm Is there any chance Northwestern lacrosse gets dragged into the hazing mess there? So far football, baseball and soccer have been named as well as “players from other sports”..
Hasn't been any indication Women's Lacrosse was involved, unless I missed something?

Joe
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:35 pm
laxfan999 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:30 pm Is there any chance Northwestern lacrosse gets dragged into the hazing mess there? So far football, baseball and soccer have been named as well as “players from other sports”..
Hasn't been any indication Women's Lacrosse was involved, unless I missed something?

Joe
Had not considered this … but I can easily think of a recent grad GK from NW who might have an axe to grind
watcherinthewoods

watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:36 am

Joe
Had not considered this … but I can easily think of a recent grad/GK from NW who might have an axe to grind
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Joe
Had not considered this … but I can easily think of a recent grad GK from NW who might have an axe to grind
Who Doucette? What happened? Haven’t seen it mentioned here but she is using her 5th year this coming season.
watcherinthewoods

hmmm wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:33 am

Joe
Who Doucette? What happened? Haven’t seen it mentioned here but she is using her 5th year this coming season.
Interesting and good for her ... where did she land?
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

kidsgame wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:41 pm Has Colgate hired a new AD yet?
It looks as if Colgate promoted the interim and named him the permanent AD last November. He has been the women’s lacrosse “sport administrator” for a few years, so he wouldn’t appear to be an obvious change agent for replacing Coach Taylor. The team is off to an 0-4 start, having just lost 19-5 to Niagara, a team they defeated last year. Taylor’s winning percentage from 2020 to present is now .327. Most recently, she is 10-27 (.270) from 2022 - present. I understand that Colgate athletics may be underfunded, but the school offers a beautiful campus, excellent academics, a good local lacrosse talent pool and an engaged alumni network. It seems they should expect more from their women’s lacrosse program.
lacrossemwj

Post by lacrossemwj »

Can Opener wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:54 am
It looks as if Colgate promoted the interim and named him the permanent AD last November. He has been the women’s lacrosse “sport administrator” for a few years, so he wouldn’t appear to be an obvious change agent for replacing Coach Taylor. The team is off to an 0-4 start, having just lost 19-5 to Niagara, a team they defeated last year. Taylor’s winning percentage from 2020 to present is now .327. Most recently, she is 10-27 (.270) from 2022 - present. I understand that Colgate athletics may be underfunded, but the school offers a beautiful campus, excellent academics, a good local lacrosse talent pool and an engaged alumni network. It seems they should expect more from their women’s lacrosse program.
Saw them play in fall and was actually surprised at how cohesive they seemed, given everything that has gone on. And they played well though didn’t really seem to have a superstar. I’ve been a little surprised at these scores this season. Thought they would be more competitive.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Can Opener wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:54 am
Yes and if you look at their schedule a 0-11 start is pretty likely. no real winnable games until Lafayette and Bucknell later in their season
jff97

Post by jff97 »

This part stuck out to me the most:
Taghizadeh, a former college wrestler, says coaches need to realize that improving their players’ mental health — like improving their 40-yard dash time — will improve their chances of success.

“The ironic thing is if there’s more of an emphasis and an education on helping these people develop as people first and an athlete second, then you get a healthier person,” he said. “You’re going to get a more competitive athlete and your chances of winning are actually going to go up.”
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Joe
She can grind her axe to the handle...if she wasn't physically or mentally abused, then it just didn't work out. Maybe if her numbers were better and she was more consistent, things would have worked out.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:27 pm

Joe
She can grind her axe to the handle...if she wasn't physically or mentally abused, then it just didn't work out. Maybe if her numbers were better and she was more consistent, things would have worked out.
How do you go from an article talking about mental health and abuse and say something like that?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Excellent article. Her roomate is a hero here. I hope she was commended by her teammates. Takes guts to do that and she may have saved her life. It was a shame what happened to some of those girls there.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:00 pm

Joe
How do you go from an article talking about mental health and abuse and say something like that?
For some reason Larry was responding to someone's post from back in July about a former NW player. Wasn't in reference to the Colgate article.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

hmmm wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:05 pm
Brownlax wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:00 pm

Joe
For some reason Larry was responding to someone's post from back in July about a former NW player. Wasn't in reference to the Colgate article.

Thank you. That is exactly what I was doing.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Larry was responding to watcherinthewoods. The timestamp is irrelevant.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:36 am I can easily think of a recent grad GK from NW who might have an axe to grind
Case in point:

In the 2022 national semifinal game vs Carolina, the Wildcats led 14-7 in the 4th with 10:15 left. Doucette's numbers from there:

Shots on goal: 10
Saves: 2
Goals allowed: 8

Of course it didn't help that Amonte Hiller never called a time out for her run-ragged defenders, but that's a whole other kettle of knishes...

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”