The country that was

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: The country that was

Post by PizzaSnake »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:31 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 am
old salt wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:16 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:01 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:01 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:27 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:41 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:02 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:42 am Pat Buchanan warned us.

https://twitter.com/IngrahamAngle/statu ... 0156810660
What's interesting to me, is not the young knuckleheads who protest mindlessly but sincerely, nor even the not so mindless extremists some of whom deserve jail time IMO as fostering terror, but rather the hatred of America so evident in the far right today.
Those are our future leaders on our elite campuses.
Where's the hatred coming from ?
Death to America ! We are all Hama, Pig !
Young knuckleheads come in every generation. Fortunately, most grow up.

I'm much more bothered by the considerably older non-college students who are on these campuses as well stoking this stuff.

I can walk and chew gum, though, and recognize that grifters like Ingraham have hugely more influence and are far more dangerous. They have stoked a narrative of hatred of America and American values, angry defeatism and resentment and bigotry, under an umbrella of faux patriotism. And many millions have bought it.
Keep blaming others...like your imaginary White Christian Nationalist legions, or the Soros NGO funded Antifa terrorists, while making excuses for your precious little hate filled poison Ivy saplings to whom you've bequeathed the keys to the kingdom.

Which party has vowed to divide the electorate by race & gerrymander the census & reapportion with a tsunami of illegal immigrants ?

Death to America ! We're all Hamas, Pig !
So idiotic to totally ignore that I said I’m concerned about the adult agitators who really are reprehensible, in your desperation to show your disgust with youn people, and especially’elite’ young people and to “squirrel’ away from what I’m saying about far more influential poseur grifters like Ingraham.

And yes, desperate to deny the awhite Christion Nationalism you constantly espouse and embrace and pretend isn’t real.
...& you're not concerned with your precious students who embrace those adult agitators & provide cover for them ? Excuse, excuses.
They don't value their education enough to let it continue for their classmates. It's not a peaceful protest, it's unlawful obstruction.

Where are the WCN counter-demonstrators ?
No, I simply don’t hate them like some angry old man jealous of their youth.

Young people, educated or not, intellectually gifted or not, can be quite naive and downright stupid. And certainly emotional. Brains aren’t fully developed. Insurance companies understand this. They actuarially recognize risk changes post 25 on average.

It’s a natural phenomenon and exactly why the military focuses on getting them when young and impressionable.
Young and impressionable, the US Army has been turning young and impressionable young lads into fighting men for a very long time. That job involves the process of the transformation of a civilian into a soldier. For that process the US Army will provide all of the impressions that you will need. IMO having to get out of the rack at 4:30 am builds character you never knew you had. Pounding the pavement on a nice long PT run by 5:30 now that builds character indeed. ;)
"So now does your heart pitter pat with a patriotic song
When you see the stripes of Old Glory waving?
Well I knew, I could see, it was all cut and dried to me
There was soldier's blue blood streaming inside your veins.
There is a world outside of this room and when you meet it promise me
You won't meet it with your gun taking aim.
I don't mean to argue, they've made a decent boy of you
And I don't mean to spoil your homecoming my baby brother Jude
And I don't mean to hurt you by saying this again,
They're so good at making soldiers but they're not so good at making men."

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
old salt

Post by old salt »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:13 am So do you think Khymani James represents even a fair slice, to say nothing of a majority, of American young people of, say, college age to 25 or 28? Is that the point of the article and your decision to post it?
I hope not ! The point of that article was the extent to which he was enabled by the administrators & faculty members at Columbia.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 am No, I simply don’t hate them like some angry old man jealous of their youth.
I don't hate them & I'm certainly not jealous. I fear for them & the future of our nation & society, if our future leaders are being so easily manipulated. They're addicted to the dopamine hits they get from the screen in their hands. We have no control over the content they're absorbing, who's manipulating it & to what end. We're finally going after Tik Tok, but based on what we're seeing on our campuses, I fear it's too late.
For the first time ever, I'm sincerely worried about our future.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Peaceful protests. Yeah. Sure thing.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/2 ... s-00154855

Fear is widespread on American campuses, researcher says

The research at the University of Chicago Project on Security and Threats involved 5,000 students at hundreds of colleges.

Professor Robert Pape said “the feelings of fear on college campuses are more widespread and more intense than we have known.”

“Overall, 56% of Jewish students report feeling in personal danger,” Pape told Brennan. “Close behind, 52% of Muslim students report feeling in personal danger. And 16% of all students who are not Jewish and not Muslim.”

Pape said the students were simply reacting to what they’re seeing on their campuses.

“What they are reporting is,” he said. “observing acts of physical violence and intimidation right in front of them. Jewish students are seeing Jewish buildings attacked. Muslim students are seeing people ... counterattack against Muslims. The students that are not Jewish and not Muslim, they’re just seeing everybody getting, you know, attacked.”

He also cited “protest chants.”

The research was conducted in December-January after the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks in Israel and the start of the Israeli invasion of Gaza, but well before the latest wave of campus protests connected to the Israel-Hamas war. These recent protests have triggered complaints, particularly but not exclusively by Jewish students, about hateful and intimidating rhetoric.

When pressed by Brennan, Pape said that what was needed was an even-handed approach to reducing the ugliness, rather than one-sided political grandstanding by lawmakers.

“You need to have a more thoughtful approach to calming tensions that go beyond crowd control, and that are not simply, one side is right, everybody else is wrong,” said the professor of political science whose books include works delving into terrorism.

He said the Israel-Hamas war clearly caught people in the United States by surprise, so there was no plan really in place to deal with fallout in America.

Americans often associate campus protests with the civil rights movement and anti-Vietnam War protests of the 1960s, but Pape noted that the era was long enough ago to not offer a playbook for deescalating tensions at the nation’s schools.

“Almost no leader who’s running either our government or university was involved in the 1960s,” he told Brennan. “And the issues we’re dealing with today are new. They’re not completely new, but I would say, like, 90 degrees new, and that is what we have to come to grips with. And not just assume everything was fine before so they will just fade away and they will be fine again.”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:21 pm

What's interesting to me, is not the young knuckleheads who protest mindlessly but sincerely, nor even the not so mindless extremists some of whom deserve jail time IMO as fostering terror, but rather the hatred of America so evident in the far right today.

I'm much more bothered by the considerably older non-college students who are on these campuses as well stoking this stuff.

I can walk and chew gum, though, and recognize that grifters like Ingraham have hugely more influence and are far more dangerous. They have stoked a narrative of hatred of America and American values, angry defeatism and resentment and bigotry, under an umbrella of faux patriotism. And many millions have bought it.
Keep blaming others...like your imaginary White Christian Nationalist legions, or the Soros NGO funded Antifa terrorists, while making excuses for your precious little hate filled poison Ivy saplings to whom you've bequeathed the keys to the kingdom.

Which party has vowed to divide the electorate by race & gerrymander the census & reapportion with a tsunami of illegal immigrants ?

So idiotic to totally ignore that I said I’m concerned about the adult agitators who really are reprehensible, in your desperation to show your disgust with youn people, and especially’elite’ young people and to “squirrel’ away from what I’m saying about far more influential poseur grifters like Ingraham.

And yes, desperate to deny the awhite Christion Nationalism you constantly espouse and embrace and pretend isn’t real.
...& you're not concerned with your precious students who embrace those adult agitators & provide cover for them ? Excuse, excuses.
They don't value their education enough to let it continue for their classmates. It's not a peaceful protest, it's unlawful obstruction.

Young people, educated or not, intellectually gifted or not, can be quite naive and downright stupid. And certainly emotional. Brains aren’t fully developed. Insurance companies understand this. They actuarially recognize risk changes post 25 on average.

It’s a natural phenomenon and exactly why the military focuses on getting them when young and impressionable.
Young and impressionable, the US Army has been turning young and impressionable young lads into fighting men for a very long time. That job involves the process of the transformation of a civilian into a soldier. For that process the US Army will provide all of the impressions that you will need. IMO having to get out of the rack at 4:30 am builds character you never knew you had. Pounding the pavement on a nice long PT run by 5:30 now that builds character indeed. ;)
Yup, those underdeveloped brains will do most whatever is demanded, very low risk recognition speed versus just a few years later and then less and less as grow more mature. The military understands this well.

Obedience is not character, but I would not in any way debate that the military can be great training ground for understanding service to one’s comrades and to one’s country. And to learn about one’s capacity to go beyond what one thought you were capable of doing. There are other ways to learn these lessons of course, but the military certainly can be such.
Well of you want to be a soldier, sailor, airman or marine obedience is baked into they cake. The ability to obey a lawful order isn't suggested it is mandatory. It is a radical adaptation transforming from civilian life to military life. The phrase I heard countless times during my time in the army is its all about " mind over matter" The army doesn't mind so it doesn't matter. The first time you do a 30 click forced road march in full gear in a cold pouring rain you'll find character you never knew you had.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:06 am

"So now does your heart pitter pat with a patriotic song
When you see the stripes of Old Glory waving?
Well I knew, I could see, it was all cut and dried to me
There was soldier's blue blood streaming inside your veins.
There is a world outside of this room and when you meet it promise me
You won't meet it with your gun taking aim.
I don't mean to argue, they've made a decent boy of you
And I don't mean to spoil your homecoming my baby brother Jude
And I don't mean to hurt you by saying this again,
They're so good at making soldiers but they're not so good at making men."

I'll chalk that up in the column where you don't know what your talking about. I was proud of the soldiers I served with. I am no lackey for the US Army. I saw it all, the good the bad and the ugly. I did my job but I'm no longer some flag waving patriot. It is real easy to become disillusioned with an organization that has so many ingrained deficiencies. IMO much of that dysfunction involves some officers and NCOs that are more concerned with being promoted than looking out for the well being of the soldiers the lead. A dangerous individual is the butter bar in search of that silver bar of a first lieutenant.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Interesting video, quite eerie that they all refuse and are in lockstep with one another: https://x.com/stillgray/status/1784732056620331297
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:31 am Interesting video, quite eerie that they all refuse and are in lockstep with one another: https://x.com/stillgray/status/1784732056620331297
So much for transparency and understanding and respecting different opinions. You can't have a dialogue when one side refuses to listen. :roll:
Interesting IMO how well briefed all of these young skulls full of mush have in common. They know what they company line is.
That phrase " useful idiots" comes to mind.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:07 am No, I simply don’t hate them like some angry old man jealous of their youth.
I don't hate them & I'm certainly not jealous. I fear for them & the future of our nation & society, if our future leaders are being so easily manipulated. They're addicted to the dopamine hits they get from the screen in their hands. We have no control over the content they're absorbing, who's manipulating it & to what end. We're finally going after Tik Tok, but based on what we're seeing on our campuses, I fear it's too late.
The same as is always said by old folks about the young...and may it ever continue.

Of course I'm old too, so I actually do share concern about how young people will handle the challenges they face now and in the future, but I'm reassured at least on that front that this is a cycle of maturation that each generation deals with, some more acutely than others. The young people just before my adulthood went through enormous traumas in war, assassinations, threat of nuclear annihilation, civil rights, women's right, gay rights, environmental awakening, police beating and shooting student protestors, bombings by protestors, rampant lying and corruption in the highest levels of government including military, oil shocks, stagflation...we (Boomer generation) screwed up plenty, but the needle did move forward and America continued to be the most successful country in the world on many critical measures...though not all...

and yes, there's some very ugly garbage from the left that's anti-semitic in core nature that's been promulgated in various ways including via technology. Needs to be strongly confronted as such, though, not the impulse to protest war atrocities per se. Again, I'm much more concerned on that front with the adult agitators than the youngsters.

However, I'm most concerned in terms of manipulation through technology with right wing propaganda fed by authoritarians here and abroad for profit or power, impacting across our population age. I've witnessed how unbelievably gullible so many of of our fellow citizens, neighbors, friends, family members are when they consume a limited set of reinforcing propagandist media sources, whether through 'talk radio', cable TV, Facebook, podcast, YouTube... etc. And all are being actively and purposely influenced heavily by malign forces here and abroad with views and interests truly antithetical to core American values and interests.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:16 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:21 pm

Yup, those underdeveloped brains will do most whatever is demanded, very low risk recognition speed versus just a few years later and then less and less as grow more mature. The military understands this well.

Obedience is not character, but I would not in any way debate that the military can be great training ground for understanding service to one’s comrades and to one’s country. And to learn about one’s capacity to go beyond what one thought you were capable of doing. There are other ways to learn these lessons of course, but the military certainly can be such.
Well of you want to be a soldier, sailor, airman or marine obedience is baked into they cake. The ability to obey a lawful order isn't suggested it is mandatory. It is a radical adaptation transforming from civilian life to military life. The phrase I heard countless times during my time in the army is its all about " mind over matter" The army doesn't mind so it doesn't matter. The first time you do a 30 click forced road march in full gear in a cold pouring rain you'll find character you never knew you had.
Again, obedience is not character, much less good character.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:31 am Interesting video, quite eerie that they all refuse and are in lockstep with one another: https://x.com/stillgray/status/1784732056620331297
Not really eerie. Most media has its own bias and slant, which they're gonna put on whatever story. Obviously this woman has strong opinions as well. Why would protestors want to give social media reporters even more fuel to selectively edit and present a story?

Have you ever been interviewed? Stories for innocuous things like lacrosse games get things wrong all the time. Happenened a lot when coaching high school and college. And that was basic reporting of facts, let alone opinions.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 am
The same as is always said by old folks about the young...and may it ever continue.
I've never said that before. I've never felt this way before.
These are our future elites & leaders. I never thought I'd see this in the USA.
This is how things started in Nazi Germany. If I were Jewish I'd be terrified.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Our neighbors were a lot more terrified when Trump came into office. Tons of bomb threats, Nazi graffiti, Synagogue massacre and more.

As far as Nazi Germany, there is indeed one side with actual Nazis in it.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:42 pm
Promise you your parent's generation felt the same way, watching the craziness of the 60's and 70's unfold in a MASSIVE cultural revolution.

Understand that everyone you see on TV isn't saying the same thing....some just want peace. Some want a discussion. Some want divestment.

But most of these wankers are the pros who are either out of college, or were never IN college.

Our media makes mountains out of molehill because that's what lead to clicks.

Summer break? All this goes away. And if it doesn't? Now you KNOW they aren't students.

Recall we had plenty of hate directed toward Islamic business and Americans post 9/11. We got over it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

And you weren't the old guy in prior generations. But there have always been old guys saying exactly what you're saying, and worse, about young people being overly emotional, lacking perspective, subject to manipulation, etc, etc...they've always had a point, and yet always were over reacting themselves to youth and change...and the younger generations nearly always had very important perspectives that needed to move the country forward too.

These are small minorities on these campuses who are actually being over the top inflammatory. Not the majority at all.

Most of those participating are unwittingly repeating anti-semitic chants, not understanding their potential implications. That said, it's quite understandable how those actually thinking a bit are able to separate reactions to right-wing aggressive and violent Zionism from Jewish faith more generally. And they have a heck of a valid point, which ain't anti-semitic.

But there are indeed anti-semites among them, many being actively aggressively so and that deserves strong condemnation for sure.

And no, this isn't how things started in Germany...not remotely. Worlds apart.

The analogues to Nazi Germany are far more the right wing authoritarians calling for an end to liberal democracy and willing to use violence to achieve their ends. This includes a big portion of MAGA-world including it's titular Leader, and certainly heavily within it's ideological base. Very dangerous to allow them anywhere near power again...and they're very near. And many in that world are anti-semitic as well, indeed the most hard core are aggressively so.

I've long warned you right wing apologists that giving any oxygen to that authoritarian path is extremely dangerous in itself, but also as a permission structure of a tyranny of the leftist authoritarians yet to emerge. These lefty activists on college campuses are very far from actual power, but we need to reject firmly any authoritarian impulse and right now the exigent risk is from the right.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Of course I'm old too, so I actually do share concern about how young people will handle the challenges they face now and in the future, but I'm reassured at least on that front that this is a cycle of maturation that each generation deals with, some more acutely than others. The young people just before my adulthood went through enormous traumas in war, assassinations, threat of nuclear annihilation, civil rights, women's right, gay rights, environmental awakening, police beating and shooting student protestors, bombings by protestors, rampant lying and corruption in the highest levels of government including military, oil shocks, stagflation...we (Boomer generation) screwed up plenty, but the needle did move forward and America continued to be the most successful country in the world on many critical measures...though not all...

and yes, there's some very ugly garbage from tohe left that's anti-semitic in core nature that's been promulgated in various ways including via technology. Needs to be strongly confrnted as such, though, not the impulse to protest war atrocities per se. Again, I'm much more concerned on that front with the adult agitators than the youngsters.

However, I'm most concerned in terms of manipulation through technology with right wing propaganda fed by authoritarians here and abroad for profit or power, impacting across our population age. I've witnessed how unbelievably gullible so many of of our fellow citizens, neighbors, friends, family members are when they consume a limited set of reinforcing propagandist media sources, whether through 'talk radio', cable TV, Facebook, podcast, YouTube... etc. And all are being actively and purposely influenced heavily by malign forces here and abroad with views and interests truly antithetical to core American values and interests.
I think you understated your concern about technology in the first bold portion, that went off the deep end in the 2nd paragraph. They both utilize technology and both for nefarious/deceptive/reasons.

I saw a post recently, where the inventor of 'Only Fans' was interviewed and approached by the BIden PR team to promulgate info that is, shall we say.... BS.

I would also argue its why they are still trying to monitor/legislate transaction via Venmo and other Apps that transfer money. My guess, you'd see the cookie crumbs of tech being put to use to make these protests even larger than they would have ever reached....thus making you and I believe its a big deal. There is something deceptive taking place.....and while you may brush it aside and merely call it the 'frontal cortex' not being fully developed, I would argue that is shortsighted and missing the larger picture. We are ALL being played, as if its just a simulation put on by others and you and I are hear arguing the details, all while they are getting exactly what they want; some minimize it to 'just kids' while others argue 'its strategic and deceptive".

In the end....we can both be right, just depends on how hard you want to dig in your heels.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:05 pm
And you weren't the old guy in prior generations. But there have always been old guys saying exactly what you're saying, and worse, about young people being overly emotional, lacking perspective, subject to manipulation, etc, etc...they've always had a point, and yet always were over reacting themselves to youth and change...and the younger generations nearly always had very important perspectives that needed to move the country forward too.

These are small minorities on these campuses who are actually being over the top inflammatory. Not the majority at all.

Most of those participating are unwittingly repeating anti-semitic chants, not understanding their potential implications. That said, it's quite understandable how those actually thinking a bit are able to separate reactions to right-wing aggressive and violent Zionism from Jewish faith more generally. And they have a heck of a valid point, which ain't anti-semitic.

But there are indeed anti-semites among them, many being actively aggressively so and that deserves strong condemnation for sure.

The analogues to Nazi Germany are far more the right wing authoritarians calling for an end to liberal democracy and willing to use violence to achieve their ends. This includes a big portion of MAGA-world including it's titular Leader, and certainly heavily within it's ideological base. Very dangerous to allow them anywhere near power again...and they're very near. And many in that world are anti-semitic as well, indeed the most hard core are aggressively so.

I've long warned you right wing apologists that giving any oxygen to that authoritarian path is extremely dangerous in itself, but also as a permission structure of a tyranny of the leftist authoritarians yet to emerge. These lefty activists on college campuses are very far from actual power, but we need to reject firmly any authoritarian impulse and right now the exigent risk is from the right.
I don't so blithely dismiss the antisemitism. I've always been confident that the US was the safe haven for Jews if Israel's existence were ever threatened. I no longer have that confidence. I can think of no previous protest movements in modern US history that have threatened the existence of so many Americans. Charlottesville was nothing compared to this -- in numbers or national scope. These protesters are our "best & brightest", not a bunch of KKK reactionaries.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:10 pm

and yes, there's some very ugly garbage from tohe left that's anti-semitic in core nature that's been promulgated in various ways including via technology. Needs to be strongly confrnted as such, though, not the impulse to protest war atrocities per se. Again, I'm much more concerned on that front with the adult agitators than the youngsters.

I think you understated your concern about technology in the first bold portion, that went off the deep end in the 2nd paragraph. They both utilize technology and both for nefarious/deceptive/reasons.

I saw a post recently, where the inventor of 'Only Fans' was interviewed and approached by the BIden PR team to promulgate info that is, shall we say.... BS.

I would also argue its why they are still trying to monitor/legislate transaction via Venmo and other Apps that transfer money. My guess, you'd see the cookie crumbs of tech being put to use to make these protests even larger than they would have ever reached....thus making you and I believe its a big deal. There is something deceptive taking place.....and while you may brush it aside and merely call it the 'frontal cortex' not being fully developed, I would argue that is shortsighted and missing the larger picture. We are ALL being played, as if its just a simulation put on by others and you and I are hear arguing the details, all while they are getting exactly what they want; some minimize it to 'just kids' while others argue 'its strategic and deceptive".

In the end....we can both be right, just depends on how hard you want to dig in your heels.
I don't think I'm being understated at all.

Not sure why your twitter links aren't opening for me, but I see this one is from Colin Rugg yet again...there's yet to have been a tweet from his thread that I haven't found stupid or misleading or flat out misinformation, so probably supports your contention that we're all being manipulated.

Undoubtedly so, to some extent.

But it's CRAZY bad from the right wing, a flood of outright lies being embraced by the gullible. I see that in my real-world interactions near constantly.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

You didn't listen to her. She said it wasn't Biden. It was a Third Party. Not the same thing. Not even CLOSE. For all we know, it could have been the Lincoln Project calling her.

..............We are ALL being played, as if its just a simulation put on by others and you and I are hear arguing the details, all while they are getting exactly what they want; some minimize it to 'just kids' while others argue 'its strategic and deceptive"..............
Now THIS I agree with.....

Clickbait. Been telling you chaps this for what is now years. They don't care what you click on....they just want you to click. It's apolitical....all about the Benjamins.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:16 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:05 pm

I don't so blithely dismiss the antisemitism. I've always been confident that the US was the safe haven for Jews if Israel's existence were ever threatened. I no longer have that confidence. I can think of no previous protest movements in modern US history that have threatened the existence of so many Americans. Charlottesville was nothing compared to this -- in numbers or national scope. These protesters are our "best & brightest", not a bunch of KKK reactionaries.
Unlike Charlottesville in which 'blood and soil' chanters were 'protesting' the prospective removal of a statue to Confederate General Lee constructed during Jim Crow era and killed a counter-protester, these are protests about the killing of over 30,000 people, the starvation of millions, and aggressive forced removal of Palestinians in Palestinian territories by hard core right wing fundamentalist 'settlers', happening right now...

One protest had no moral basis at all and were aggressively and intentionally anti-semitic, while these are anti-violence and anti-right wing zionist...with some confusing zionism and Judaism per se. And some knowing anti-semites. The latter needs to be consistently condemned.

Interesting that you've assumed that the US is a guaranteed safe haven. Most of my Jewish friends have never assumed that to be the case, way too much countervailing history here in the US.

Return to “POLITICS”