The country that was

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: The country that was

Post by a fan »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:16 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:07 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:16 pm I don't know how any agreement with the UAW will be structured. I do have one question for you. Could your business afford a 46% payroll increase if it took effect next month? I listened for years about my boss complaining about the problems his payroll budget imposed on him. BTW do you offer your employees a 32 work week and pay them for 40 hours??
Again, if my company had automation advances, and had suppressed wages without giving cost of living increases for the last ten years?

Yes! Without any problem.

They work 40 hours per week, and get about a week and a half from national holidays, plus much more vacation that's based on how long they've been with us.

We're looking into 4 day work weeks, ten hours per day. We haven't decided as a team if we want to do that or not.

In manufacturing, many times you can get more done in (4) 10 hour days than you can in (5) 8 hour days. Set up and tear down takes time..
10 hrs/day is great if you're not running 24 hours. The math would work better with three 12 hour shifts if you were.
Really depends on the plant. And you can tailor the plant to the workforce, as we have. There's a entire field that studies such things, called Industrial Engineering. My brother has a MS from Northwestern in Industrial Engineering, so we're really cheating as such a small business. We have world class education running a small factory. I'm spoiled.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

a fan wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:37 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:16 pm I don't know how any agreement with the UAW will be structured. I do have one question for you. Could your business afford a 46% payroll increase if it took effect next month? I listened for years about my boss complaining about the problems his payroll budget imposed on him. BTW do you offer your employees a 32 work week and pay them for 40 hours??
Again, if my company had automation advances, and had suppressed wages without giving cost of living increases for the last ten years?

They work 40 hours per week, and get about a week and a half from national holidays, plus much more vacation that's based on how long they've been with us.

We're looking into 4 day work weeks, ten hours per day. We haven't decided as a team if we want to do that or not.

In manufacturing, many times you can get more done in (4) 10 hour days than you can in (5) 8 hour days. Set up and tear down takes time..
10 hrs/day is great if you're not running 24 hours. The math would work better with three 12 hour shifts if you were.
Really depends on the plant. And you can tailor the plant to the workforce, as we have. There's a entire field that studies such things, called Industrial Engineering. My brother has a MS from Northwestern in Industrial Engineering, so we're really cheating as such a small business. We have world class education running a small factory. I'm spoiled.
Absolutely. As a fellow industrial engineer, paying staff for 40 hours while they only work 32 will NEVER fly. :oops: Changing shifts to 10 hours
as you are contemplating might produce more efficiencies - certainly fewer shift changes.
Last edited by Kismet on Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Can do POM in MBA programs as well. Required to take 1-2
Courses in it as a baseline regardless of concentration. (Mine was finance and strategy-had my fill of regression analysis and other econometrics in undergrad at that point). It’s interesting stuff.

https://www.mbacrystalball.com/blog/ope ... l%20output.

Definition:

Production / Operations Management is defined as the process which transforms the inputs/resources of an organization into final goods (or services) through a set of defined, controlled and repeatable policies.

By policies, we refer to the rules that add value to the final output. The value added can be in different dimensions, but the industrial set-up is mostly concerned with the duo of quality and throughput.

Difference between Production and Operations Management

Production and operations management are more similar than different: if manufacturing products is a prime concern then it is called production management, whereas management of services is somewhat broader in scope and called operations management (because manufacturing services sounds absurd, right?).

The line between products-based and services-based organizations is blurring rapidly as well— car manufactures need to service their cars and the retailers manufacture their own brand labels.

We will be referring to them jointly as POM from here on in this article, for the benefit and convenience of all the parties involved.

The fuss about production and systems

Production is a term which has caught the fancy of every industrialist ever since Adam Smith propounded the idea of “specialization of labor”.
It is best envisioned as a piece-wise process (think about a typical production line with every worker doing one and only one task at a frenetic speed), and this piece-wise production enabled better quality, higher throughput, lower individual dependency and lesser labor costs.

It is a bit hard to fathom that the same fundamental idea is responsible for both cheap cars (Ford pioneered large scale manufacturing sequences through assembly lines) and cheap burgers (though McDonald’s is actually in the real estate business).

The production systems are frequently classified in the following buckets:
Mass Production: Utilizes standardized discrete assemblies in a continuous process, suitable for very large volumes of production—all outputs following the same path. Generally associated with mind-numbing repetition, very specific machinery and a labor force low on skill/creativity.
Continuous Production: Non-flexible mode of production in which the whole sequence of operations is pre-arranged in a definite set-up.
Batch production: American Production and Inventory Control defines batch production as “a form of manufacturing in which the job passes through the functional departments in lots or batches and each lot may have a different routing.” Enough said.
Job Shop Production: Characterized by custom specifications by customers for a limited quantity of products, use of general purpose machines and comparatively more creative/skilled labor.
There are a few decision areas which are of utmost importance in POM, such as design, quality, location selection, human resource allocation, supply chain management and maintenance.
The decisions arising from a POM perspective often decide the core priorities of an organization— What makes us better than the competitors? Will we compete on cost, quality, delivery time, design/form factor, ease of use, or something else? Et cetera et cetera.
There are some pre-defined objectives of production management, which can be broken down into:
right quality,
right quantity,
right time and
right cost
Production management can essentially be seen as an optimization problem — the goal is to make the process as predictable as possible (as all of us do not share the same enthusiasm for surprises).
The objectives of operations management are a tad more extensive and take a couple of things more into the fold: customer service and resource utilization.
Almost all the things in operation management converge towards a single focal point: the customer. Customer satisfaction is a barometer of things moving in the right direction.
Resource utilization is equally imperative — the process of obtaining the output from input through the path of least resistance, i.e. through least wastage and maximum utilization of resources.
Scoring high on one usually leads to deterioration in performance of the other (utilization v/s customer service), and their balance is usually the nightmare of an operations manager — but is definitely a worthy goal to look forward to.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kismet wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:46 pm

Absolutely. As a fellow industrial engineer, paying staff for 40 hours while they only work 32 will NEVER fly. :oops: Changing shifts to 10 hours
as you are contemplating might produce more efficiencies - certainly fewer shift changes.
The point isn’t what you get as you pay people an “average” rate across all similar employees over an extended period of time. What I’ve been saying is it won’t be codified because 32 hours of production in 40 will eventually go to 26hrs of productivity in 32.
See Martin, Malcolm
a fan

Post by a fan »

Kismet wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:46 pm

I forgot to add for Cradle: if I could pay myself 362 times what the median worker was making at my distillery, like the CEO of GM does?

I could pay that 43% increase in my sleep. The fact that that woman is getting paid that much tells you and every GM worker, that GM has money to burn. That is a company that is negotiating in bad faith from the get-go.

It makes NO SENSE to pay $29million to someone for 12 months of work. Not even a teacher or doctor is worth that much.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

In manufacturing, many times you can get more done in (4) 10 hour days than you can in (5) 8 hour days. Set up and tear down takes time.
Our GM at Coca Cola in Rochester was dead set against 10 hour days. The loss of productivity after 8 hours was significant. I did work more than my share of 12 hour days. My boss would get me to leave early than pay the OT.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:37 pm

In manufacturing, many times you can get more done in (4) 10 hour days than you can in (5) 8 hour days. Set up and tear down takes time.
Our GM at Coca Cola in Rochester was dead set against 10 hour days. The loss of productivity after 8 hours was significant. I did work more than my share of 12 hour days. My boss would get me to leave early than pay the OT.
But was that for a 4 day work week? That does change the capacity to work hard for 10 straight...and a fan is adding an important component in terms of set up shut down...doesn't mean every situation would be better, just that some might well be.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:14 pm

But was that for a 4 day work week? That does change the capacity to work hard for 10 straight...and a fan is adding an important component in terms of set up shut down...doesn't mean every situation would be better, just that some might well be.
It would have been for a 4 day week. A 4 day week was never feasible in our line of work. We often wound up working Saturdays to finish all of those jobs the "had to be done" those jobs never ended.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:24 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:35 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:12 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:42 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:56 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:43 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:27 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:23 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:10 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:10 am There are many posters on this forum that own their own business. So what say you? Could your companies afford a 46% pay raise raise across the board for every employee?? Would that force you to raise your prices?
They're being offered a 15% increase, apparently.

What was the pay increase last year for the top 3 CEO's, their top management teams?
What was the profitability last year of the automakers?...these are companies that received government support and government negotiated major labor concessions a decade ago. How much money did they use last year in stock buybacks?

Personally, I think there are some major pay rate adjustments that need to be made. But some of the work rule demands would be a mistake. Pay rate is another matter.

The biggest conundrum is the EV issue...EV's will mean many fewer jobs...and apparently the pay rates are $18/hour, part time...whereas regular auto worker pay is $30+.

To the question about businesses, if my top pay people are making $20+ million, and I'm making major shareholder distributions and stock buybacks, my business can afford to pay line workers really, really well.
What were the real wage $ in 1980?

Found it: In 1980, General Motors reported that its average cost of hourly labor in the United States was $18.44. At Ford, where basic pay scales are essentially the same, the hourly cost was $19.99.Jun 3, 1981
For those who might be confused:
$18 translates to $67+ today.
Yep
That kind of employee overhead cost can only be paid by increasing the price of the vehicles. IMO that would be catastrophic to the auto industry. If the automakers can find a way to swallow that cost I would be damn impressed. I do know that the UAW union will be compensated rather nicely in the increase in union dues paid by their members. How ever this strike is resolved will still require hefty increases in the price to the consumer of a new vehicle. I plan on driving my Toyota Corolla until the wheels fall off or gasoline is outlawed.
Can ONLY be paid by raising car prices?

You sure about that? Ever heard of terms like: productivity, efficiency, optimization, commodity costs, process improvement, technology or substitution of materials?
That is what one of the Big 3 CEOs said on TV just yesterday. His claim was that wage scale was not tenable and would destroy the business in a relatively short period of time. I'm not a financial guy like you but I'm fairly certain labor costs are the lions share of production costs in the auto industry. The expense for purchasing parts has to be just as expensive.
Labor is about 10-16% of the total costs of a car.
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/ ... rs-n716001#
Depending on what the new wage structure will be those numbers could increase considerably. I doubt the percentages quoted only because I don't see the automakers being all that excited about disclosing what their actual labor costs are. From what I gather that is the kind of information they would not willingly share with any outside source. The reason is obvious. Do you think the folks that run Ford would want the folks that run Chevrolet to know exactly what their labor costs are? I bet they don't.
It’s clear you aren’t familiar with the SEC registration act, blue sky laws or regulation FD as it relates to disclosures for public companies.

Believe what you want. The information is publicly available. Easy enough to go to Ford and GMs investor relations page, open a few Qs, a K and a investor presentation and find anything you want basically.
You are correct, I was a 100% wrong. Those union contracts are public knowledge. How the auto manufacturers use that data when determining bottom line costs is still up for debate.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:45 am

It would have been for a 4 day week. A 4 day week was never feasible in our line of work. We often wound up working Saturdays to finish all of those jobs the "had to be done" those jobs never ended.
With overtime pay?
Sounds like there needed to be a few more workers, different shifts. As a business owner, I hated OT.

But that doesn't mean that the type of work would work well with a 4 day week.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:50 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:24 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:35 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:12 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:42 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:56 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:43 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:27 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:23 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:10 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:10 am There are many posters on this forum that own their own business. So what say you? Could your companies afford a 46% pay raise raise across the board for every employee?? Would that force you to raise your prices?
They're being offered a 15% increase, apparently.

What was the pay increase last year for the top 3 CEO's, their top management teams?
What was the profitability last year of the automakers?...these are companies that received government support and government negotiated major labor concessions a decade ago. How much money did they use last year in stock buybacks?

Personally, I think there are some major pay rate adjustments that need to be made. But some of the work rule demands would be a mistake. Pay rate is another matter.

The biggest conundrum is the EV issue...EV's will mean many fewer jobs...and apparently the pay rates are $18/hour, part time...whereas regular auto worker pay is $30+.

To the question about businesses, if my top pay people are making $20+ million, and I'm making major shareholder distributions and stock buybacks, my business can afford to pay line workers really, really well.
What were the real wage $ in 1980?

Found it: In 1980, General Motors reported that its average cost of hourly labor in the United States was $18.44. At Ford, where basic pay scales are essentially the same, the hourly cost was $19.99.Jun 3, 1981
For those who might be confused:
$18 translates to $67+ today.
Yep
That kind of employee overhead cost can only be paid by increasing the price of the vehicles. IMO that would be catastrophic to the auto industry. If the automakers can find a way to swallow that cost I would be damn impressed. I do know that the UAW union will be compensated rather nicely in the increase in union dues paid by their members. How ever this strike is resolved will still require hefty increases in the price to the consumer of a new vehicle. I plan on driving my Toyota Corolla until the wheels fall off or gasoline is outlawed.
Can ONLY be paid by raising car prices?

You sure about that? Ever heard of terms like: productivity, efficiency, optimization, commodity costs, process improvement, technology or substitution of materials?
That is what one of the Big 3 CEOs said on TV just yesterday. His claim was that wage scale was not tenable and would destroy the business in a relatively short period of time. I'm not a financial guy like you but I'm fairly certain labor costs are the lions share of production costs in the auto industry. The expense for purchasing parts has to be just as expensive.
Labor is about 10-16% of the total costs of a car.
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/autos/ ... rs-n716001#
Depending on what the new wage structure will be those numbers could increase considerably. I doubt the percentages quoted only because I don't see the automakers being all that excited about disclosing what their actual labor costs are. From what I gather that is the kind of information they would not willingly share with any outside source. The reason is obvious. Do you think the folks that run Ford would want the folks that run Chevrolet to know exactly what their labor costs are? I bet they don't.
It’s clear you aren’t familiar with the SEC registration act, blue sky laws or regulation FD as it relates to disclosures for public companies.

Believe what you want. The information is publicly available. Easy enough to go to Ford and GMs investor relations page, open a few Qs, a K and a investor presentation and find anything you want basically.
You are correct, I was a 100% wrong. Those union contracts are public knowledge. How the auto manufacturers use that data when determining bottom line costs is still up for debate.
Interestingly, just heard the UAW leader say that labor is only 5% of the retail cost today...I'd seen 10+%, but these guys do have the numbers.
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:45 am

Obviously, I can't speak to the MO at your workplace, but if we went to a 4 day work week, we would stagger our staff so that the plant was running 5 days a week.

In other words, some would have monday off, and some would have friday off.....but the plant would be open M-F.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

See Martin, Malcolm
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Not sure where else to put this one but this is very scary - If you have a free view at NYT it's worth a read (epecially if you plann on traveling by air soon)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/11/busi ... hwest.html

Flight Risks
How a Series of Air Traffic Control Lapses Nearly Killed 131 People
Two planes were moments from colliding in Texas, a harrowing example of the country’s fraying air safety system, a New York Times investigation found.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

The country that was: 1888.

“Nonetheless, the Piccirillis have been largely forgotten, lost in the shadow cast by renowned American sculptors like Mr. French himself.

Now, Eduardo Montes-Bradley, a 63-year-old filmmaker reared in Buenos Aires, wants to elevate the brothers’ legacy, casting a new spotlight on their work in a documentary he has been working on for two years. The film, “The Italian Factor,” portrays these carvers not as stereotypical unskilled immigrant laborers in “funny paper hats,” as he puts it, but rather as prodigiously talented artisans indispensable to public art in the city and in America at large.”

Same issue of the tension between a country desperate for talented workers and the resentment of the unskilled natives who resented the importation.

“The more things change, the more they stay the same.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/15/real ... thers.html
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Kismet wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:22 am Not sure where else to put this one but this is very scary - If you have a free view at NYT it's worth a read (epecially if you plann on traveling by air soon)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/11/busi ... hwest.html

Flight Risks
How a Series of Air Traffic Control Lapses Nearly Killed 131 People
Two planes were moments from colliding in Texas, a harrowing example of the country’s fraying air safety system, a New York Times investigation found.
More fear...great.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:04 pm The country that was: 1888.

“Nonetheless, the Piccirillis have been largely forgotten, lost in the shadow cast by renowned American sculptors like Mr. French himself.

Now, Eduardo Montes-Bradley, a 63-year-old filmmaker reared in Buenos Aires, wants to elevate the brothers’ legacy, casting a new spotlight on their work in a documentary he has been working on for two years. The film, “The Italian Factor,” portrays these carvers not as stereotypical unskilled immigrant laborers in “funny paper hats,” as he puts it, but rather as prodigiously talented artisans indispensable to public art in the city and in America at large.”

Same issue of the tension between a country desperate for talented workers and the resentment of the unskilled natives who resented the importation.

:roll: Until we figure out just who has been let in and just what their skills are, it's doubtful.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:01 pm

:roll: Until we figure out just who has been let in and just what their skills are, it's doubtful.
Probably just some rapists, murderers and terrorists….nothing to be afraid of.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:50 pm

TLD for open US borders. Perfect :roll:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:05 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:50 pm

TLD for open US borders. Perfect :roll:
We don’t have an “open border” policy. Don’t you go to Canada?
Tech37 for fear mongering….perfect :roll:
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “POLITICS”