Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:00 pm Unions making a big comeback. This story is likely to have a significant effect on the 2024 election in favor of the democrats.
Was talking to the security guard in my building yesterday. He was talking about his uncles and father all benefited from high paying union jobs….. they had not been sold on how maximizing shareholder value by earning less, would be in their best interest.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:47 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:00 pm Unions making a big comeback. This story is likely to have a significant effect on the 2024 election in favor of the democrats.
Was talking to the security guard in my building yesterday. He was talking about his uncles and father all benefited from high paying union jobs….. they had not been sold on how maximizing shareholder value by earning less, would be in their best interest.
Getting working class Americans good jobs? You can't do that, can you? This might lead to horrible things like a middle class.

We can't have this, can we? What happened to trickle down, fellas? Shouldn't we cut taxes on the rich, again, and get it to trickle down?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:24 pm
Getting working class Americans good jobs? You can't do that, can you? This might lead to horrible things like a middle class.

We can't have this, can we? What happened to trickle down, fellas? Shouldn't we cut taxes on the rich, again, and get it to trickle down?
He said they had nice cars and nice homes…..
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The rub, unions are fighting to stay alive, while their dues paying members are flipping on them. It really started with some strong arm tactics when BHO was. Many International Union Orgs were cramming a vote for the local unions to add into the pay package a PAC...call it 1-10 cents of their negotiated pay would go to this fund, then the local unions would use that money to gain advantage for union work and politcal campaigning support. The issue, is that the money from the hourly worker dues trickled UP to the Internationals, so they could lobby accordingly, but for only the democratic candidates.

Even the first vote to NOT include a PAC was strongarmed when it failed...threatening the members that the International would then pull funding to those Local Unions that DID NOT vote in the PAC fund. In short, it started driving a wedge between the International and the working class folks....to the point that many began flipping to Independent and Republican.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... middle class making a come back.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Jim Clyburn has resigned from democratic leadership today. He will stand for election (and win) but wants to stand back from leadership, further opening up opportunities for younger democrats. This is a good thing.

Story .
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

To make it easier for the chronically uninformed and in-curious...

There always HAS been "another thread"...

FAR from the same as the Big LIE thread.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

dislaxxic wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:05 am To make it easier for the chronically uninformed and in-curious...

There always HAS been "another thread"...

FAR from the same as the Big LIE thread.

is the lack of news regarding the state of emergency in Puerto Rico racist?

or it or is it because of a proven pharmaceutical drug, which is very affordable, which will take care of the dengue fever outbreak?

The close minded called ivermectin horse paste

what say you just lax? Should we ship ivermectin to the dying of Puerto Rico? Or should we just continue to ignore the health crisis in Puerto Rico because were racist
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

The firefighters at station 11 in Manhattan have been ordered by NYC Democrats to remove that fascist symbol from their firetruck. So an American flag with a red stripe on it to honor the 6 firefighters of station 11 that died on 9/11 is now a fascist symbol? Way to go you FLP folks. Are you the people whining and bitching about the intolerance on the right? Time for y'all to look in the mirror and clean out the skeletons in your progressive ideology closet. After your all done you can start an environmentally friendly bonfire and roast Chick- Filet while your expunging your hatred for all who you disagree with. With angry people like you it is no wonder that Trump could win in November. The sad part it you Dems keep shooting yourselves in the foot over and over. When two angry people go toe to toe in a peeing contest all anybody sees are 2 angry people. It's been ages since any politician of either party has discussed what they can do to make this a better country. They expend a lot of energy telling us what they want to do to the country.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I believe that flag was reinstated:

https://countylocalnews.com/2024/03/25/ ... 11-heroes/

It turns out that the law was created to prevent political displays on fire trucks when a fire chief installed a Dixie flag on his truck back in 2016*. The Confederate flag as we all know is the symbol of treason. Only a traitor would defend its display. The dark flag has been used by white supremacists over the years so that it comes as no surprise that a member of the far right would defend its public display.

As for me, the red-white-blue flag suffices for all of us. After all, we are ONE nation.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.PN3-4077v ... ImgDetMain
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Here’s Who Should Pay for Everyone’s Ozempic
American Big Food industries have spent decades funneling highly processed, nutritionally deficient food products into American and global markets. These ultraprocessed foods are engineered to tap into our biological desire for salt, sugar, and fat, ingredients that are not on their own necessarily bad, but are particularly harmful to human health when Frankensteined into products made via industrial processes, and often rife with additives and chemicals or reconstituted in ways not found in traditional whole-food human diets. Ultraprocessed foods are designed to be so addictive that, as a Lay’s potato chip ad campaign put it, you “can’t eat just one.” And they are painstakingly developed to hit our pleasure and desire centers, to avoid our satiation points, to make us want more—to paraphrase Michael Moss, who has written two books on Big Food, to make us eat impulsively and compulsively. And our bodies do not seem to process these foods the same way we do whole or even less processed ones.

Ultraprocessed foods now make up more than 60 percent of what Americans eat. Study after study has linked ultraprocessed foods to a range of health problems, from numerous cancers to depression. Some researchers now believe that processed and fast foods kill more Americans than cigarettes. It’s a $1.5 trillion industry.
Anybody reading this using Ozempic or a similar drug?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Oregon governor signs bill criminalizing drug possession: Imagine that....

~ https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oregon ... BSyDv7Gxt4

~ https://www.opb.org/article/2024/04/01/ ... sign-bill/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:43 pm Oregon governor signs bill criminalizing drug possession: Imagine that....

~ https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oregon ... BSyDv7Gxt4

~ https://www.opb.org/article/2024/04/01/ ... sign-bill/
Alcohol? Want to try that again?

Want a new bunch of Kennedys?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Looks like primarily funding for addiction treatment and having some stick if needed. If I read correctly, if go into treatment, no problem, refuse and it's a misdemeanor. Hope it works...key is the funding, though, as just incarceration gets us nowhere except money down the drain.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:59 am Where is Bill wrong? https://x.com/billmaher/status/1778989085362987082
Many places.

First of all, he, like most ignorant Americans, don't understand what a "Canadian Province" is. So when he mentioned the site for heavy pollution? He's pointing at Alberta, which is FAR more conservative than Ontario....and allows such shenanigans. (it's where all the oil sits....duh).

Do you think the laws in Alabama are the same as the laws in Connecticut? And what about demographics, and particularly economic demographics? He's trying to lump the whole country together....when French-speaking Quebec is NOTHING like Alberta or British Columbia.

He cites Canada spending 13% of GDP on Health Care.....'memeber how much we spend, YA?

:lol: 17.3%. Whoops. Maher "forgot" to mention this.

And FFS, who do you think has better access to Primary Health Care: the US, or Canada?

Take a wild guess, and remember YA's and "a fan's" access to health care might be good, while someone making minimum wag, or a little higher gets nothing.

As for his Trans rant? 23 States are under total Republican control. So I ask you, YA: where are the bills? Where are the reasonable bills that I, and other reasonable Americans support, that get rid of irreversible procedures or heavy hormone therapy for kids under 18?

They're nowhere. Why? Same reason your team "forgets" to pass immigration reform: to keep their base angry.

Maher is a moderate. Just like me. The faaaar left libs annoy him as much as the faaaar right American fascists. The part Maher leaves out is that he enjoys 1%er America (as do I)...and that his America is pretty awesome.

But for the working class? Same question I ask of the Republicans here: Maher, what's your plan to take America's working class into the 21st century?

I would LOVE a conservative answer, because I don't want the real, actual libs to run things. I want MODERATE solutions. But right now? You and your crew are offering NOTHING in the way of solutions.

So don't act shocked when the libs win out in the long term, while your crew sits around and does NOTHING.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:53 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:59 am Where is Bill wrong? https://x.com/billmaher/status/1778989085362987082
Many places.

First of all, he, like most ignorant Americans, don't understand what a "Canadian Province" is. So when he mentioned the site for heavy pollution? He's pointing at Alberta, which is FAR more conservative than Ontario....and allows such shenanigans. (it's where all the oil sits....duh).

Do you think the laws in Alabama are the same as the laws in Connecticut? And what about demographics, and particularly economic demographics? He's trying to lump the whole country together....when French-speaking Quebec is NOTHING like Alberta or British Columbia.

He cites Canada spending 13% of GDP on Health Care.....'memeber how much we spend, YA?

:lol: 17.3%. Whoops. Maher "forgot" to mention this.

And FFS, who do you think has better access to Primary Health Care: the US, or Canada?

Take a wild guess, and remember YA's and "a fan's" access to health care might be good, while someone making minimum wag, or a little higher gets nothing.

As for his Trans rant? 23 States are under total Republican control. So I ask you, YA: where are the bills? Where are the reasonable bills that I, and other reasonable Americans support, that get rid of irreversible procedures or heavy hormone therapy for kids under 18?

They're nowhere. Why? Same reason your team "forgets" to pass immigration reform: to keep their base angry.

Maher is a moderate. Just like me. The faaaar left libs annoy him as much as the faaaar right American fascists. The part Maher leaves out is that he enjoys 1%er America (as do I)...and that his America is pretty awesome.

But for the working class? Same question I ask of the Republicans here: Maher, what's your plan to take America's working class into the 21st century?

I would LOVE a conservative answer, because I don't want the real, actual libs to run things. I want MODERATE solutions. But right now? You and your crew are offering NOTHING in the way of solutions.

So don't act shocked when the libs win out in the long term, while your crew sits around and does NOTHING.
Canada has a very well respected government health care system. It makes me wonder why so many Canadians with the financial resources choose to have their surgeries done in the US. Free doesn't mean very much if you are put on a waiting list that is many months deep in scheduling. An increasing # of patients where my wife works come to the US from Canada to expedite GI procedures involving upper and lower endoscopy scoping. If your throwing up constantly you really can't afford to wait months to be scoped. Free is nice but not nearly as expedient as it needs to be.
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:48 pm
Canada has a very well respected government health care system. It makes me wonder why so many Canadians with the financial resources choose to have their surgeries done in the US. Free doesn't mean very much if you are put on a waiting list that is many months deep in scheduling. An increasing # of patients where my wife works come to the US from Canada to expedite GI procedures involving upper and lower endoscopy scoping. If your throwing up constantly you really can't afford to wait months to be scoped. Free is nice but not nearly as expedient as it needs to be.
Simple and obvious solution: move Canada's spending on heath care to where America's is.

Canada spends 13% of GDP, right?

So moving it to 17.3% would rake in an extra $98.9 Billion. Pretty sure their waits would evaporate with that kind of cash infusion.

The reason folks come to the US for Surgeries, etc. is that the US has a FANTASTIC medical establishment if you're me and my family, and can afford to pay for it with no problem.

The issue is: we're paying more than any other nation for our care, and only the rich can REALLY afford Health Care in America.

The working class, as always, is F'ed here in America.

This video explains it perfectly. The interviewer asks Brits how much it cost for various procedures in America. Procedures that are entirely free in the UK.

UK Woman in video, "so if you're poor, you're dead". Yep. That's sums up the American "system". And it's why all outcomes in America...life expectancy, etc. ......is dropping for the poor, yet just fine for the rich.

I don't understand why the American working class puts up with this, but what do I know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kll-yYQwmuM&t=187s
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:15 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:48 pm
Simple and obvious solution: move Canada's spending on heath care to where America's is.

Canada spends 13% of GDP, right?

So moving it to 17.3% would rake in an extra $98.9 Billion. Pretty sure their waits would evaporate with that kind of cash infusion.

The reason folks come to the US for Surgeries, etc. is that the US has a FANTASTIC medical establishment if you're me and my family, and can afford to pay for it with no problem.

The issue is: we're paying more than any other nation for our care, and only the rich can REALLY afford Health Care in America.

The working class, as always, is F'ed here in America.

This video explains it perfectly. The interviewer asks Brits how much it cost for various procedures in America. Procedures that are entirely free in the UK.

UK Woman in video, "so if you're poor, you're dead". Yep. That's sums up the American "system". And it's why all outcomes in America...life expectancy, etc. ......is dropping for the poor, yet just fine for the rich.

I don't understand why the American working class puts up with this, but what do I know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kll-yYQwmuM&t=187s
I'm not a math wizard but there is a significant difference in the US population and the Canadian population. With the US population way north of 300 million people universal health care becomes more problematic. You also have to figure in what % of that 300 million plus contribute by paying taxes. My memories of universal health care reminds me of being back in the army. There was no middle ground. It was either really good or really bad. I honestly don't remember any doctor I saw while in the service that actually cared about the patient. I believe that was because they were daydreaming about the day their military commitment was up and they could go into private practice.

Return to “POLITICS”