Virginia 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxter

Virginia 2023

Post by Laxter »

Time to move on and bounce back. Anyone care to guess at a staring lineup? I’m wondering where Sunderland and Terenzi fit in. I’m thinking both will get big minutes.
blue angels

Re: Virginia 2023

Post by blue angels »

Not much different than last year with a couple of additions.
Shellenberger, Cormier, Schutz-Attack
Conner, Dickson, McConvey-Midfield
Saustad,Matsui, Kastner-Defense
Nunes-Goal
Wayer, Bower-LSM
Sallade, Zinn, Chizmar, Parker- Short Stick
LaSalla-FO
Yes, Terenzi and Sunderland will get time. Let’s hope the team is healthier than last season and good things should happen.
Last edited by blue angels on Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Lars & Co are putting together teams that will be competitive year in and year out. The years UVA will be playing in the NC game are the years they avoid injury.

If UVA stays healthy - they will go deep in the tournament.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
TOADHALL

Post by TOADHALL »

"Lars & Co are putting together teams that will be competitive year in and year out. The years UVA will be playing in the NC game are the years they avoid injury.

If UVA stays healthy - they will go deep in the tournament."

Brilliant analysis. Can you enlighten us with any other squads that might be affected if they have injuries?
Stiffler

Post by Stiffler »

Small recruiting class in the 23"s. Is lars planning on hitting the portal a bit more in the future? He is a strange dude, but his teams come to play.
dek

Post by dek »

Lars has tended to recruit smaller classes and leaves a little room for flexibility. Hoos coaches are still working on the ‘23 class and probably have two or three spots left to fill, but don’t seem to be in a rush. They haven’t let the roster swell much post Covid and are around 43-44. General expectation is they’ll continue to use the portal pretty sparingly.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

dek wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:03 pm Lars has tended to recruit smaller classes and leaves a little room for flexibility. Hoos coaches are still working on the ‘23 class and probably have two or three spots left to fill, but don’t seem to be in a rush. They haven’t let the roster swell much post Covid and are around 43-44. General expectation is they’ll continue to use the portal pretty sparingly.
They have no other choice. Lacrosse does not swing the needle with admissions (even basketball does not) so UVA is normally not a portal player except in the most highly academically qualified cases.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:59 pm
dek wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:03 pm Lars has tended to recruit smaller classes and leaves a little room for flexibility. Hoos coaches are still working on the ‘23 class and probably have two or three spots left to fill, but don’t seem to be in a rush. They haven’t let the roster swell much post Covid and are around 43-44. General expectation is they’ll continue to use the portal pretty sparingly.
They have no other choice. Lacrosse does not swing the needle with admissions (even basketball does not) so UVA is normally not a portal player except in the most highly academically qualified cases.
Are you really saying that lacrosse (and basketball) don't get an admissions advantage for whatever # of slots are allocated?

Or did I misunderstand and you just mean that it's not a huge advantage...or something else?
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

I am saying as of today, with 100% surety, that student athletes in the transfer portal for men's lacrosse and basketball do not get preferred treatment for admissions at UVA. I hope that is specific enough. You can surmise for other sports as the policy was not directed at either men's lacrosse or basketball but is the stated policy in general.

This is as good as today only. Things change, people change and each case is unique. Where you stand on this issue depends on where you sit.....and not all chairs are the same.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:57 pm I am saying as of today, with 100% surety, that student athletes in the transfer portal for men's lacrosse and basketball do not get preferred treatment for admissions at UVA. I hope that is specific enough. You can surmise for other sports as the policy was not directed at either men's lacrosse or basketball but is the stated policy in general.

This is as good as today only. Things change, people change and each case is unique. Where you stand on this issue depends on where you sit.....and not all chairs are the same.
Thanks. I read the original statement to include undergraduate students. I know one thing, UVA soccer gets a lot of latitude in this regard.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:57 pm I am saying as of today, with 100% surety, that student athletes in the transfer portal for men's lacrosse and basketball do not get preferred treatment for admissions at UVA. I hope that is specific enough. You can surmise for other sports as the policy was not directed at either men's lacrosse or basketball but is the stated policy in general.

Thanks, like TLD I'd read your original statement more broadly, and was confident that couldn't be accurate; figured I wasn't understanding...this does make sense, whether one agrees with the policy or not.

So, bottomline, athlete transfers don't get any advantage over other transfer applicants. Thus, need to be competitive academically with such. Which is certainly possible if a transfer has done well in their prior college-level experience.

But not just anyone...
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

TOADHALL wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:00 pm "Lars & Co are putting together teams that will be competitive year in and year out. The years UVA will be playing in the NC game are the years they avoid injury.

Brilliant analysis. Can you enlighten us with any other squads that might be affected if they have injuries?
Resisting the urge to tell you to piss off - the point of my post was relatively obvious, but let me take you through it step by step. 1 - teams that (a) avoid the injury bug AND (b) have elite level players and coaching are the ones that make deep runs in the post season. 2- Great teams can be bitten by the injury bug and their season ends early. 3 - you have to have both. UVA has consistently put together elite rosters and has one of the best coaching staffs in college lacrosse. That isn't changing, but they got burned this year by injuries.

So yeah, the simplistic enlightenment you seem to want is that ALL squads will be affected by injuries. Of course. My adder is that where it really matters (in terms of national championships) is with teams that have elite players and coaching. It isn't hard to see who those teams have tended to be over the past few years. UMD has been the most consistent team in terms of having both. UVA has had both up until this past season - perhaps UVA should go after the Terps training staff via the portal? :lol:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
viho

Post by viho »

HooDat wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:56 am
TOADHALL wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:00 pm "Lars & Co are putting together teams that will be competitive year in and year out. The years UVA will be playing in the NC game are the years they avoid injury.

Resisting the urge to tell you to tick off - the point of my post was relatively obvious, but let me take you through it step by step. 1 - teams that (a) avoid the injury bug AND (b) have elite level players and coaching are the ones that make deep runs in the post season. 2- Great teams can be bitten by the injury bug and their season ends early. 3 - you have to have both. UVA has consistently put together elite rosters and has one of the best coaching staffs in college lacrosse. That isn't changing, but they got burned this year by injuries.

So yeah, the simplistic enlightenment you seem to want is that ALL squads will be affected by injuries. Of course. My adder is that where it really matters (in terms of national championships) is with teams that have elite players and coaching. It isn't hard to see who those teams have tended to be over the past few years. UMD has been the most consistent team in terms of having both. UVA has had both up until this past season - perhaps UVA should go after the Terps training staff via the portal? :lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Looks either like one troll with two aliases (my bet) or two trolls. Either way, HooDat’s post was perfectly clear. Both times.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Looks like Kumar to Penn. Middie depth may be an issue after this year.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

Griffin Kology, brother of Kyle, has transferred in from Richmond.

https://virginiasports.com/sports/mlax/
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HowieT3 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:17 pm Griffin Kology, brother of Kyle, has transferred in from Richmond.

https://virginiasports.com/sports/mlax/
Great add.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

that's from early june.
they bring back their starting d, top 2 lsms, as well as the next backups at each position.

saustad is done in a year, there's an opening then and he has 3 years left. will be interesting to see if he breaks in anywhere in the meantime.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:16 pm that's from early june.
they bring back their starting d, top 2 lsms, as well as the next backups at each position.

saustad is done in a year, there's an opening then and he has 3 years left. will be interesting to see if he breaks in anywhere in the meantime.
Sure sounds like a guy you'd want to get on the field.
FCCTlaxFan

Post by FCCTlaxFan »

Any word on how the scrimmage(s) went this weekend?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”