Post by The Orfling »

Finster wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:31 am
The Orfling wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:19 am
Powellfan22 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:08 am
NYterp09 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:50 am
The Orfling wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 8:10 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:41 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:33 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:30 pm Man, Lars is a class act. His postgame presser is impressive; appreciative of such a great game and atmosphere.
Check out his postgame from the 2016 semi loss on youtube: Jack Kelly looks like he wants to throttle Lars when Lars talks about what a great game it was.😂
Lars would find a way to praise someone that just robbed his home. "Man I really busted my installing that deadbolt, but this....I tell ya, he was a real pro and reverse engineered the locking mechanism, hats off to you sir." :lol:
I think it’s something of a bit. A good schtick, based in reality, but a schtick. Take the Lars who is out on the field in the officials’ ears constantly and mix with postgame Tiffany and I think you get a more realistic (and still overall laudable) picture of one of the top 3 coaches in the game.

Another great season by UVA — congrats and best wishes to the group moving on to their next lax or life adventure. Tons of remaining talent with some major additions so I’m sure the ‘Hoos will make lots of noise in 2024.
Aren’t they losing just about everyone not named Schellenberger?
They should return Cormier, Schutz, Nunes, Sunderland, McIntosh, and Kaestner. I think Bower, Garno and Matsui have another year left. Highly ranked freshmen who redshirted include Terenzi, Colsey, Jones and Schroeter should be in play. And of course getting Shellenberger back is a big deal. Cavs should still be pretty darn good next year.
Plus I assume they will mine the portal for a few key additions—eg maybe for FOGO depth with LaSalla leaving and Eldridge possibly transferring? Charlottesville and UVA are not a tough sell and I think Tiffany has shown excellent judgment in his portal additions in his time at UVA (eg, Bertrand, Zinn, McConvey, G. Kology).

McCabe Millon….

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... o-virginia

I’m told by folks close to the program that he’ll see a ton of time as a freshman.
Thanks for the intel. Have seen him live once or twice and he sure seemed elite in game sense, not just skills. UVA, man . . . Millon then Duenkel the year after. This is a “reload” rather than “rebuild” situation (although games are not won by goals alone, as I and my fellow Yale fans know well).
Powellfan22

Re: Virginia 2023

Post by Powellfan22 »

The Orfling wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:35 am
Finster wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:31 am
The Orfling wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:19 am
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:30 pm Man, Lars is a class act. His postgame presser is impressive; appreciative of such a great game and atmosphere.
Check out his postgame from the 2016 semi loss on youtube: Jack Kelly looks like he wants to throttle Lars when Lars talks about what a great game it was.😂
Lars would find a way to praise someone that just robbed his home. "Man I really busted my installing that deadbolt, but this....I tell ya, he was a real pro and reverse engineered the locking mechanism, hats off to you sir." :lol:
I think it’s something of a bit. A good schtick, based in reality, but a schtick. Take the Lars who is out on the field in the officials’ ears constantly and mix with postgame Tiffany and I think you get a more realistic (and still overall laudable) picture of one of the top 3 coaches in the game.

Another great season by UVA — congrats and best wishes to the group moving on to their next lax or life adventure. Tons of remaining talent with some major additions so I’m sure the ‘Hoos will make lots of noise in 2024.
They should return Cormier, Schutz, Nunes, Sunderland, McIntosh, and Kaestner. I think Bower, Garno and Matsui have another year left. Highly ranked freshmen who redshirted include Terenzi, Colsey, Jones and Schroeter should be in play. And of course getting Shellenberger back is a big deal. Cavs should still be pretty darn good next year.
Plus I assume they will mine the portal for a few key additions—eg maybe for FOGO depth with LaSalla leaving and Eldridge possibly transferring? Charlottesville and UVA are not a tough sell and I think Tiffany has shown excellent judgment in his portal additions in his time at UVA (eg, Bertrand, Zinn, McConvey, G. Kology).

McCabe Millon….

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... o-virginia

I’m told by folks close to the program that he’ll see a ton of time as a freshman.
Thanks for the intel. Have seen him live once or twice and he sure seemed elite in game sense, not just skills. UVA, man . . . Millon then Duenkel the year after. This is a “reload” rather than “rebuild” situation (although games are not won by goals alone, as I and my fellow Yale fans know well).
And they are presumably the front runners for McCabe’s brother the next year, who happens to be the top recruit for that class. He was named MVP of the MIAA Championship game. Yeesh.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

I was under the impression that Cormier is gone, even though he still had a year of eligibility left. Those other names you mentioned are nice role players, but not game changers.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

NYterp09 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:27 pm

I was under the impression that Cormier is gone, even though he still had a year of eligibility left. Those other names you mentioned are nice role players, but not game changers.
Pretty sure Cormier is coming back. Haven’t seen anything official but if he wasn’t I’m sure he would have been a PLL draft pick.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

A recent article on VAsports stated Cormier was coming back. I initially felt that 2024 would be a bit of a rebuild, now I’m not so sure. Shelly will be a man on a mission I would imagine. NCAA ruling on Miezan and FOGO portal efforts will be big. Also, Schutz will need to take a big step forward and become an alpha at middie (a la Dox, Briggs, Dixon and Rotelli) for the Hoos to be standing at the top on MM, in my opinion.
molo

Post by molo »

The significant losses are on d—both close and rope—and FOGO. Lots of going offensive players return, and there are a couple of promising offensive players among this year’s redshirts and incoming recruits. Miezan, who never saw his pt increase this year, would provide some midfield potential to complement the bevy of middies who are largely converted attackmen. He and Terenzi could become, if not two way middies, certainly offensive middies who bring some athleticism to the middle of the field.
There has been some discussion of moving Schutz to attack. So far his game has been outmuscling d mids. Lars tried to integrate Sunderland into the offense by having him come in for the Reaper for some possessions during meaningful times in games while bumpkin Dickson to middie. He looked physically overpowered against DI defensemen. Will Millon assume that kind of role, or will he be ready next year to contribute at attack or come out of the box?
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

NYterp09 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:27 pm Those other names you mentioned are nice role players, but not game changers.

watch this space:
Powellfan22 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 9:08 am They should return [....] Nunes
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

molo wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:06 pm The significant losses are on d—both close and rope—and FOGO. Lots of going offensive players return, and there are a couple of promising offensive players among this year’s redshirts and incoming recruits. Miezan, who never saw his pt increase this year, would provide some midfield potential to complement the bevy of middies who are largely converted attackmen. He and Terenzi could become, if not two way middies, certainly offensive middies who bring some athleticism to the middle of the field.
There has been some discussion of moving Schutz to attack. So far his game has been outmuscling d mids. Lars tried to integrate Sunderland into the offense by having him come in for the Reaper for some possessions during meaningful times in games while bumpkin Dickson to middie. He looked physically overpowered against DI defensemen. Will Millon assume that kind of role, or will he be ready next year to contribute at attack or come out of the box?
i'd be very surprised if the offense with the personnel available didn't take just a ~10%-ish drop and still average about 16 a game. not like umd hoo had to end up replacing the vast majority of their producing players and go the youth route. that should pay dividends for the terps in 2024.

really, it's dickson and mcconvey as ++ players. sure, everything can change with dickson gone, but presumably they're adding dodgers, still have cormier, and sunderland (not sold) or even mcintosh can be finisher types as dickson and mcconvey could be. don't know much about colsey's game, but him, terenzi, maybe millon...

ssdm and fogo. ssdm and fogo. ssdm and fogo. they have one ssdm so far in portal, but just lost danny parker to nd.

and someone, shroter or somebody, will have to replace saustad. kology and matsui split the #3, not sure if those 2 tho can man 2/3 of the back. but the poles are mostly back, including supposedly wayer if he cleans things up. bower i believe is gone.
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

Combing through the UVA roster as I try to see the future for next year and beyond, anyone know what the FFF test is or what it consists of? Thanks!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Finally saw the play-by-play box score for the UVA loss vs. Notre Dame in the semis. Notre Dame used 5 timeouts in the game (4 in regulation play, 1 in OT); Virginia used only 1 timeout. When I watched the game in real time, it felt like there were at between 3-5 possessions in the offensive zone where a UVA. player was being doubled or in trouble in some way but no timeout was called. I get the "save them for when you really need them" brand of thinking but the disparity (5 timeouts vs. 1 timout, or 4-1 if we just focus on regulation) was striking. I don't think the UVA coaching staff gets outcoached very often but I think that happened last Saturday.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The Orfling wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:12 pm Finally saw the play-by-play box score for the UVA loss vs. Notre Dame in the semis. Notre Dame used 5 timeouts in the game (4 in regulation play, 1 in OT); Virginia used only 1 timeout. When I watched the game in real time, it felt like there were at between 3-5 possessions in the offensive zone where a UVA. player was being doubled or in trouble in some way but no timeout was called. I get the "save them for when you really need them" brand of thinking but the disparity (5 timeouts vs. 1 timout, or 4-1 if we just focus on regulation) was striking. I don't think the UVA coaching staff gets outcoached very often but I think that happened last Saturday.
Really interesting observation.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

youthathletics wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:16 pm
The Orfling wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:12 pm Finally saw the play-by-play box score for the UVA loss vs. Notre Dame in the semis. Notre Dame used 5 timeouts in the game (4 in regulation play, 1 in OT); Virginia used only 1 timeout. When I watched the game in real time, it felt like there were at between 3-5 possessions in the offensive zone where a UVA. player was being doubled or in trouble in some way but no timeout was called. I get the "save them for when you really need them" brand of thinking but the disparity (5 timeouts vs. 1 timout, or 4-1 if we just focus on regulation) was striking. I don't think the UVA coaching staff gets outcoached very often but I think that happened last Saturday.
Really interesting observation.
Thanks, youth. I don't watch UVA enough to know if it's maybe a coaching philosophy -- "run/stickhandle your way out of jams because we aren't going to call a timeout to rescue you" -- which I could understand as paying dividends in the long term, or whether this was unusual for UVA to use so few timeouts. But I had a strong feeling in real time that UVA was keeping their timeouts in their pocket, although I didn't know the count and it took the NCAA a while to post the full box score that included timeouts.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”