Yale 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
QuakerSouth

Re: Yale 2019

Post by QuakerSouth »

Lots of talent on the Yale team. Look what happened last year after coming up short in the ILT. This team isn't done yet. Would love to see a Penn/Yale game on Memorial Day. Brackets would have to line up just right...
molo

Post by molo »

Penn's performance today caused me to revise my view of the Ivy this year. I hadn't seen much of Penn and underrated them. When Ierlan is dominating, Yale is good but beatable.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Waiting for 9 pm, waiting for 9 pm. Crappy weather, that was the first game in a long time in which Yale never led; no shame in losing by a goal to a very good Penn team. It seems Shay's Yale has an early-May loss in its DNA, so just as well to get it out of the system today. Six or seven days to prepare for... well, we'll find out tonight.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Well, outside of the weather and the outcome, great game. Congrats to Penn for the win and to Yale for just coming up short. One final regroup before the NCAAs. Looking forward to tonight's selection show.
Lux et veritas
molo

Post by molo »

Meant to say when he is not dominating. When he is, they win.
molo

Post by molo »

I liked what I saw from Georgetown against Loyola, and they kept up the good work in the BET. Unfortunately for them, Yale is no Loyola or Denver.
molo

Post by molo »

I liked what I saw from Georgetown against Loyola, and they kept up the good work in the BET. Unfortunately for them, Yale is no Loyola or Denver.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Have not seen Georgetown play at all — I look forward to hearing how folks who have seen both teams play think they will match up.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Okay, 2:30 Saturday at Reese v Georgetown. If we win, do we go to the quarterfinals in Hartford, versus the winner of Penn v Army. Well, that would be about as close to a home game as we could want... but cannot take Georgetown for granted! Every team that is at the dance will be tough, and as the defending champions we have that target on our backs.
lefty1

Post by lefty1 »

:cry: Yale has lost 3 games by a point.
Yale has won 2 games by a point.
They have never played from behind, until today.
Down the stretch, they will be a handful.

Starr is coming on like 2018.
Dannegelis, El Capitan, played quite gritty today - on both ends.
I’ll resurface what I had mentioned weeks back. TD will have to “find a way”, and play beyond his capabilities and with a consistency, much like Mackie did in 2018. He’s great, we can’t ask for much more other than clutch, or even heroic performances. Today was not the case. Perhaps a Penn rematch in Rnd 2 will showcase how he has come along.

Was Gaudet out the crease to try a new set, or because he is banged up some?
Cropp looks solid, but a little over confident firing like, always. Would like to see some level of poise.

Frosh Sam Handley took it easy on them today. We didn’t necessarily body him up, but his shot execution padded Starrs’ numbers. He’ll be a nightmare to account for if they are to meet again. First up, Georgetown.

May the weather stay as slotted for Sat.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Thought Yale would be a 5 seed and play Army, but they left me off the committee. Georgetown is playing well. I watched much of the Loyola game and they showed a ton a grit and poise in their comeback that just fell short. Their attack will likely be a handful, but I have a good deal of faith that Yale has the horses and matchups to keep on top of them. I'm sure Shay and staff will work hard to get the team fired up and ready to execute against whatever they think the Hoyas might come at them with. Yale has responded well to setbacks in the recent past, and I fully expect them to do so again. Looking forward to Saturday.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

Will be interesting for the Brandau parents. Twin freshman sons, one outstanding player at Yale and the goalie at Georgetown, who was not playing until the last full game and the half before. That's poise.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Nice catch on another Yale-opponent brother act, Seriously. Checked C. Brandau's stats on IL and he is making saves at a 63% rate with 34 saves (% rate is listed as 3rd in the country). Yale O with brother Matt will have to be sharp to overcome that kind of performance. Entire Yale team will likely have to crank it up a notch above their already high level of play (if they can) to make their way forward from here. As Sunday's Penn game showed, when TD doesn't dominate ( and I would propose should a hot goalie stands on his head) the equation for both the O and D changes. Shots will be less available so shooting accuracy will become more incumbent. Likewise the need for the better dodgers on the team to step forward will be likely crop up. D slides will have to be more organized and coherent. Ground ball play and double teams will require more aggression and precision. The TD part of that equation has so far only evidenced itself against Penn's Gallagher, and I see the goalie part as far more likely in any given matchup, but it would behoove the players to bear down even further than they already have to keep improving even at this late date in the season to prolong their already impressive season as long as they can.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

From the stat sheet:
  • Georgetown shoots a lot (41 shots per game) and scores a lot (14 goals per game), with about 60% of the goals assisted;
  • Better shooting percentage than Yale (about 34% to 28%);
  • Slightly better clearing percentage than Yale (86% to 83.5%);
  • Slightly more caused turnovers per game than Yale (8.5 to 7.2);
  • Penalized somewhat less than Yale (3 infractions/2.2 minutes per game vs. 4 infractions 3 minutes per game;
  • About the same EMO percentage as Yale, much better man down defense percentage;
  • On face-offs, 48% on the year vs. 76% on the year for Yale;
So, the "tale of the tape" seems to suggest that these are two pretty evenly matched teams but that a potential face-off advantage (by the numbers, at least) could be the key for Yale -- nothing new with that analysis, of course.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

The Orfling wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:30 am From the stat sheet:
  • Georgetown shoots a lot (41 shots per game) and scores a lot (14 goals per game), with about 60% of the goals assisted;
  • Better shooting percentage than Yale (about 34% to 28%);
  • Slightly better clearing percentage than Yale (86% to 83.5%);
  • Slightly more caused turnovers per game than Yale (8.5 to 7.2);
  • Penalized somewhat less than Yale (3 infractions/2.2 minutes per game vs. 4 infractions 3 minutes per game;
  • About the same EMO percentage as Yale, much better man down defense percentage;
  • On face-offs, 48% on the year vs. 76% on the year for Yale;
So, the "tale of the tape" seems to suggest that these are two pretty evenly matched teams but that a potential face-off advantage (by the numbers, at least) could be the key for Yale -- nothing new with that analysis, of course.
I'm a Georgetown fan, and I'd love nothing more than for an evenly matched game, but some of these numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt as Yale's schedule was quite a bit harder than GTs this season. I was not able to watch the Penn game, but watching Yale against Cornell, what I saw on the field was a team that looked like they could win it all.

Gtown will definitely be at a disadvantage on faceoffs, and will need to compensate with wing play and caused turnovers. I do think that it's going to be a competitive game. Gtown has some firepower and a lot of intangibles and has learned over the past couple of years to peak at the right time. Very much looking forward to a great game.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

rolldodge wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:37 am
I'm a Georgetown fan, and I'd love nothing more than for an evenly matched game, but some of these numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt as Yale's schedule was quite a bit harder than GTs this season. I was not able to watch the Penn game, but watching Yale against Cornell, what I saw on the field was a team that looked like they could win it all.

Gtown will definitely be at a disadvantage on faceoffs, and will need to compensate with wing play and caused turnovers. I do think that it's going to be a competitive game. Gtown has some firepower and a lot of intangibles and has learned over the past couple of years to peak at the right time. Very much looking forward to a great game.
Thanks for weighing in rolldodge -- it is great to see Georgetown lax back in the national conversation. In addition to the other factors you mention, it seems like your team is coming in with a goalie on a roll (who is the twin brother to Yale's first-year attackman who is also on a roll).
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

The Orfling wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:00 pm
rolldodge wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:37 am

Thanks for weighing in rolldodge -- it is great to see Georgetown lax back in the national conversation. In addition to the other factors you mention, it seems like your team is coming in with a goalie on a roll (who is the twin brother to Yale's first-year attackman who is also on a roll).
Here's hoping they are the kind of twins that can read each other's minds - advantage goaltender ;)
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Interestingly, The Brandau brothers not the only “current” family connection between the Hoyas and Elis. The Morrill brothers as well - Zeke Morrill , 2018 Georgetown grad played attack for the Hoyas. Like Rolldodge I am a Hoya backer. Should be an incredible atmosphere Saturday. Good luck to both squads.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

You will find Tyler Warner and his parents (Yale '18) sitting on the Penn side. Jared is a senior.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Thanks to Admin, there's a live game report forum with a Georgetown vs Yale thread: viewtopic.php?f=289&t=1217
Lux et veritas

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”