Plattsburgh, NY

General Chatter
youthathletics

Plattsburgh, NY

Post by youthathletics »

What is life currently look like in Plattsburg? Anyone have any stories or current ties the area? Would appreciate any feedback.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Re: Plattsburgh, NY

Post by DMac »

Typically cold and white.
That's all I've got to offer,
can't remember the last
time I was there.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Yeah, anything north of Burlington is bound to be pretty cold in the winter, and have a long winter. And the sunrise side of Lake Champlain tends to be less cutesy than Burlington and Vermont. What's up in Plattsburg YA?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:12 pm Yeah, anything north of Burlington is bound to be pretty cold in the winter, and have a long winter. And the sunrise side of Lake Champlain tends to be less cutesy than Burlington and Vermont. What's up in Plattsburg YA?
My son and finance are considering heading that way. Her sister offered her job (decent starting pay) and a really inexpensive place to rent for the two of them. My son is working on being a teacher, so hopefully there are some assistant opening...worse case he could substitute teach, but pay is pretty crappym but its a foot in the door. It helps he is a male, here in our county they were fighting over him to stay. So just feeling things out for him.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:20 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:12 pm Yeah, anything north of Burlington is bound to be pretty cold in the winter, and have a long winter. And the sunrise side of Lake Champlain tends to be less cutesy than Burlington and Vermont. What's up in Plattsburg YA?
My son and finance are considering heading that way. Her sister offered her job (decent starting pay) and a really inexpensive place to rent for the two of them. My son is working on being a teacher, so hopefully there are some assistant opening...worse case he could substitute teach, but pay is pretty crappym but its a foot in the door. It helps he is a male, here in our county they were fighting over him to stay. So just feeling things out for him.
In that respect -- young couple starting out -- my guess is that it is relatively cheap, relatively safe and not a bad spot to log a few years building a resume and a nest egg. Most of the NY'ers I know live in the Cuse area or the Big City.

My boy is a teacher; got to love the mission, because the pay, at least initially, is tough. Good luck to both of them.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:25 pm
In that respect -- young couple starting out -- my guess is that it is relatively cheap, relatively safe and not a bad spot to log a few years building a resume and a nest egg. Most of the NY'ers I know live in the Cuse area or the Big City.

My boy is a teacher; got to love the mission, because the pay, at least initially, is tough. Good luck to both of them.
Thanks!
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't know what the two of them are used to, youth, but Plattsburg is a pretty typical sleepy little town. Not a ton there but plenty enough and certainly everything you need. NY really is a very pretty state and it's pretty up that way too. Trees, lot of water, very scenic, hills/mountains/valleys, foliage in the fall is second to none. Can't imagine them not liking it, at least initially....they do get winter up that way.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:13 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:25 pm

Thanks!
Plattsburgh is the murder capital of Clinton County with 0 murders in the last 8 years. Small town life on beautiful Lake Champlain, adjacent to the gorgeous Adirondacks, just a 1.5 hr drive to Montreal and a little longer to Ottawa, Quebec City and Rivière du Loups. Home to SUNY Plattsburgh so they can see good D3 hockey. A train stop for Amtraks Adirondack Line which runs from Montreal to NY Penn Station. I took that train 30 some years ago in December when it was called the Montrealer. Considered one of the Top 10 most scenic train rides in the world. The town is considered a popular tourist destination for people from Quebec province so there must be some charm there.
Last edited by ardilla secreta on Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richard

Post by richard »

Not far from Montreal. Michigan hot dogs. Lake Champlain. SUNY Plattsburgh plays lacrosse. Adirondacks are in the back yard. Burlington is on the other side of the lake. Skiing in the winter. Don’t worry about the cold,you like bourbon.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Appreciate all the replies thus far, encouraging. My son is interested in coaching as well, so maybe they'll be a spot for him somewhere...assuming they do in fact make it official and head north.
~Livy
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:44 pm Appreciate all the replies thus far, encouraging. My son is interested in coaching as well, so maybe they'll be a spot for him somewhere...assuming they do in fact make it official and head north.
Beautiful YA. Keep us posted on how they do!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Headed north to Plattsburgh on Thursday. Any stops between DC and Platts that would be a fun stop or an enjoyable night stay over? Not opposed to bypassing the city and head through Binghamton (have stayed there before).
~Livy
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:07 pm Headed north to Plattsburgh on Thursday. Any stops between DC and Platts that would be a fun stop or an enjoyable night stay over? Not opposed to bypassing the city and head through Binghamton (have stayed there before).
Sadly, there is a LOT of flooding and excessive rain damage throughout Rockland, Orange and Putnam Counties along the Hudosn north of NYC Understand most of VT is impassable statewide and some of that may extend across the border in to NYS north of Albany
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:58 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:07 pm Headed north to Plattsburgh on Thursday. Any stops between DC and Platts that would be a fun stop or an enjoyable night stay over? Not opposed to bypassing the city and head through Binghamton (have stayed there before).
Sadly, there is a LOT of flooding and excessive rain damage throughout Rockland, Orange and Putnam Counties along the Hudosn north of NYC Understand most of VT is impassable statewide and some of that may extend across the border in to NYS north of Albany
Thank you.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Just saw Vermont is about to get pounded again: https://www.facebook.com/NWSBurlington
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Good tourist summer spot, winters depends on how you feel about school going on despite 12-15” on the roads.

What I’ve found from college friends from small towns in the Adirondacks or similar that are good folks but get into the weirdest trouble. Basically didn’t anything to make the days pass by, for example I have a friend from Au sable farms-placid who’s an attorney for NYS Dept of env services or similar to that who is a complete mongoloid. Kind of would be less appealing if I had a middle school aged kid but early years or childless could be a nice experience.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Binghamton??? Straight pass unless you want to see some of FFGs greatest hits that haven’t been demolished or burned down for the betterment of society. If you’re running up 81 may as well stay closer to Cortland/Greek peak and if 88 closer to Cooperstown.

But coming from Bart area I can’t imagine why you’d get so close to 81 vs 95-87. That’s way west of where you need to go.
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:34 pm
Binghamton??? Straight pass unless you want to see some of FFGs greatest hits that haven’t been demolished or burned down for the betterment of society. If you’re running up 81 may as well stay closer to Cortland/Greek peak and if 88 closer to Cooperstown.

But coming from Bart area I can’t imagine why you’d get so close to 81 vs 95-87. That’s way west of where you need to go.
thanks. Stayed in Bing last spring, tons of closed businesses. Ate a small place called Stone Fox, pizza/pub joint….decent and quiet. Covid really did a number on the downtown area.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:14 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:34 pm

thanks. Stayed in Bing last spring, tons of closed businesses. Ate a small place called Stone Fox, pizza/pub joint….decent and quiet. Covid really did a number on the downtown area.
Yeah, it was Covid…buddies with a guy (Ray Stanton, also brought back a semi pro football team to the area mid 90s and was a coach while I was in college-semi pro as in a few guys got paid but not really) who used to own the metro center and that thing was failing in 1990 except the food court. Boscovs was the retail anchor and that massive parking deck attached is and engineering case study in what not to do. They never figured out how to develop around the rivers* as the susquehanna is the fifth largest river in the US and connects w the chenengo River there
, the NY State DOT building, the tallest there across the road from the arena was built then unoccupied for 15yrs because it was built as an asbestos trap. Now downtown is being sold off piece by piece to SUNY Binghamton reducing the property tax tolls without adding anythign economically since its satellite campus stuff from the core in Vestal.

It is and has been a mess this entire Millenium. But I can give you recs if you go back and still have friends there despite the fact that last time I left with the rest of my mothers stuff packed up I figured it might be the last time I go to that town strangely.

*the river flooded badly in 2011, my father lived relatively close to it and was displaced for like a month before we moved him to Atlanta and I always wondered if there was some relationship between that borderline disaster, my father getting this bizarre ischemia and pneumonia when he fell and broke his hip which didn’t allow the replacement then after losing tons or weight got the replacement then CDiff and died a month latter from septic shock but no one has ever really explained or had any answers for how it all went down.

**this is longish so you may not want to read it since you hate long stories so much.
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/bingh ... paration--
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:50 pm Just saw Vermont is about to get pounded again: https://www.facebook.com/NWSBurlington
Ended up heading straight to Wilmington NY, and stayed at a great lodge just outside Lake Placid. Oh my....was it bliss. in the 50's that evening, brisk clean air for morning walk around 6 am, clear sky, campfire, bourbon, cigar....was hoping to catch the Northern Lights (was said they may be visible....nope). Walked Lake Placid loop with the wife and Dobie, had a great lunch in a little sandwich shop....they provided some nice bacon for a dog treat. Got to watch some Olympic Training on the Ski Jump as a bonus.

Headed in to Plattsburgh Friday afternoon. Had an absolute blast with my son, his wife, and their dog. Plattsburgh appears to be investing in the city....bunch of construction downtown, some really nice small shops and restaurants popping up, nice water/garden park. Spent an hour or so in the Corner book shop.....lovely owner named Wendy. Great soft serve at a place called IceBurgh Creamery. All is good.

~Livy

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”