D1 Mens Lacrosse
August

Re: North Carolina 2023

Post by August »

#Guile
TAV

Post by TAV »

Figured this would happen - don’t see much of a problem with it. I think under Metz the O has be generally stale and predicable since 2016. Adjustments during games have minimal @ best and growth of talent has been hit or miss. Time for a change, it’s nothing personal, it’s just business. Metz is talented and has a storied career, no doubt. You can only live on your past accomplishments for so long - Hopkins, UVA, SU made changes and moved their programs in a different direction. Joe has 3 years to show improvement/upward swing - we’ll see.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Looks like Jon Thompson from Air Force will be the new OC.

Good hire by Breschi. Obviously Thompson does not have the same resume as Metzbower (nobody does), but he is a capable coach who probably wants to help turn Carolina around on short notice and use it as a stepping stone get back to head coaching again.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

If you've watched AF lacrosse, JTs offensive plan is simply to hope someone can run past their defender. There was zero ball movement, no off-ball picks, even EMO looked u13-ish.

At Amherst he had an enticing carrot to land quasi-D1 athletes. At AFA he rarely had the athletic advantage yet still relied on "someone" having a match up advantage. . At UNC he can recruit the difference maker again. He is a very good recruiter.

Great coaching is making do without all the best cards. Anyone can win a card game with quad Aces. At Carolina he can recruit Aces again vs actually coaching offense. .
Last edited by NElaxtalent on Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

:)
NElaxtalent wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:56 pm If you've watched AF lacrosse, JTs offensive plan is simply to hope someone can run past their defender. There was zero ball movement, no off-ball picks, even EMO looked u13-ish.

At Amherst he had an enticing carrot to land quadi-D1 athletes. At AFA he rarely had the athletic advantage yet still relied on "someone" having a match up advantage. . At UNC he can recruit the difference maker again. He is a very good recruiter.

Great coaching is making do without all the best cards. Anyone can win a card game with quad Aces. At Carolina he can recruit Aces again vs actually coaching offense. .
looks like he took the offense from 10.8 gpg in the 2 seasons before him to 10.8 in the 3 seasons at the helm.

if he's a great recruiter, he better get to work flippin' 24s. because 25 and maybe 26 might be all they have.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Aren’t there more Kelly’s in the pipeline? 😉😂
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Ozstriker

Post by Ozstriker »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:31 pm :)
NElaxtalent wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:56 pm If you've watched AF lacrosse, JTs offensive plan is simply to hope someone can run past their defender. There was zero ball movement, no off-ball picks, even EMO looked u13-ish.

At Amherst he had an enticing carrot to land quadi-D1 athletes. At AFA he rarely had the athletic advantage yet still relied on "someone" having a match up advantage. . At UNC he can recruit the difference maker again. He is a very good recruiter.

looks like he took the offense from 10.8 gpg in the 2 seasons before him to 10.8 in the 3 seasons at the helm.

if he's a great recruiter, he better get to work flippin' 24s. because 25 and maybe 26 might be all they have.
Facts have no feelings.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Exactly. I've seen nothing ftom his time at AFA to believe he has any OC gift. Rather it seems his inherent Amherst appeal brought him uncommon D3 talent. Very few programs have that built-in attraction, perhaps UNC, H-Y-P, Hop
lorin

Post by lorin »

NElaxtalent wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:05 am

Exactly. I've seen nothing ftom his time at AFA to believe he has any OC gift. Rather it seems his inherent Amherst appeal brought him uncommon D3 talent. Very few programs have that built-in attraction, perhaps UNC, H-Y-P, Hop
You have no clue about lacrosse, AF offense moved the ball quick. They constantly moved without the ball to open spots. Fun to watch
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Looks like the offense gradually improved while he was there.
2021: 8.59gpg
2022: 11.12
2023: 12.12
Laxfan23

Post by Laxfan23 »

I recognize that stars do not mean everything but they are at least a reflection of what others think of a player’s abilities. Not all stars pan out but it is better to have four and five stars on the roster than have to recruit them. Air Force competes with a lot less subjectively rated talent at Air Force than currently is on the sideline at UNC. Sure the new coach may be a great recruiter and three years of Breschi’s contract is not five but it is a fertile opportunity and I wish the new OC well. There is enough pride, experience, and talent on the UNC sideline currently to make the most of this new opportunity and exceed the dismal prognostications all others seem to have towards UNC. I am really looking forward to an improved UNC next year
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

10 10 2 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:42 pm

iirc, i improved my little league batting ave every year. moved to lacrosse. it dropped considerably in his 1st year taking over, that's how the numbers square. i get it, it's air force, but it's also air force's schedule. this is unc and plumb. it's the shot clock era.

i understand he was also in the running at early point @ uva. my hope is they pull in a top 10 scoring coordinator. or a savant from somewhere.

we'll see. i'm fine with and hope that everyone in the conference but dook does well. and as long as the 'hoos end up on top.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:49 pm

iirc, i improved my little league batting ave every year. moved to lacrosse. it dropped considerably in his 1st year taking over, that's how the numbers square. i get it, it's air force, but it's also air force's schedule. this is unc and plumb. it's the shot clock era.

i understand he was also in the running at early point @ uva. my hope is they pull in a top 10 scoring coordinator. or a savant from somewhere.

we'll see. i'm fine with and hope that everyone in the conference but dook does well. and as long as the 'hoos end up on top.
Who is a good OC? I know Pat March’s offensive performance has traveled. I am more certain of him than your former guy (not that I don’t think he’s good. I am just not sure how good).
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:06 pm

Who is a good OC? I know Pat March’s offensive performance has traveled. I am more certain of him than your former guy (not that I don’t think he’s good. I am just not sure how good).
i don't know. these guys talk a lot of shop at various times of the year. they can get a feel for personalities, strategery, intellect, etc. conventions, summer recruiting and other spots. lars probably ran into kirwan in new england in addition to tufts connections.

and then... you can see whether positive vibes correlate to results.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:12 pm

i don't know. these guys talk a lot of shop at various times of the year. they can get a feel for personalities, strategery, intellect, etc. conventions, summer recruiting and other spots. lars probably ran into kirwan in new england in addition to tufts connections.

Just wondering…..Kirwan didn’t run the “Brown” system at UVA. too many good offensive middies to let poles and SSDMs take up time on offense. March’s results were good at Vermont, Princeton and Syracuse. I know one thing, the guy in Durham stinks.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:50 pm

Just wondering…..Kirwan didn’t run the “Brown” system at UVA. too many good offensive middies to let poles and SSDMs take up time on offense. March’s results were good at Vermont, Princeton and Syracuse. I know one thing, the guy in Durham stinks.
You nailed it with that 2nd to last sentence, March’s offenses have been good. But they certainly haven’t been great. Pretty big stretch to say he’s a better offensive coach than Kirwan based off whatever metric you want to go by, stats or results. Kirwan has had seasons with the highest scoring offense at all three of his coaching stops and my guess is he’s never been outside of the top 10 in scoring offense ever. Plus a handful of NC rings.
Typical Lax Dad

BigTom5 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:55 am

You nailed it with that 2nd to last sentence, March’s offenses have been good. But they certainly haven’t been great. Pretty big stretch to say he’s a better offensive coach than Kirwan based off whatever metric you want to go by, stats or results. Kirwan has had seasons with the highest scoring offense at all three of his coaching stops and my guess is he’s never been outside of the top 10 in scoring offense ever. Plus a handful of NC rings.
I said I am less “certain” about Kirwan. I also said “not that I don’t think he’s good”… Re-read my post. It’s just my opinion. Anyway, I wish him well. That Brown team had a great defense and the best FOGO and best goalie in the country. Give that to almost any good team and it has a chance to be great.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:07 am

I said I am less “certain” about Kirwan. I also said “not that I don’t think he’s good”… Re-read my post. It’s just my opinion. Anyway, I wish him well. That Brown team had a great defense and the best FOGO and best goalie in the country. Give that to almost any good team and it has a chance to be great.
I just said being more “certain” about March is a stretch, since any type of comparison seems pretty heavily skewed in the other direction. I also said I think March is a “good” coach. Re-read my post. The fact that one of the coaches has put up Top 10 offenses every single year, no matter the personnel, is the basis for my argument.

If you want to look at how others view them, the fact that no AD has seriously considered March for a HC job is pretty telling. You’d think he’d at least get a look if he was in that upper echelon. To the contrary, there’s been more talk about him being on the hot seat since moving to Cuse…
Typical Lax Dad

BigTom5 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:26 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:07 am

I just said being more “certain” about March is a stretch, since any type of comparison seems pretty heavily skewed in the other direction. I also said I think March is a “good” coach. Re-read my post. The fact that one of the coaches has put up Top 10 offenses every single year, no matter the personnel, is the basis for my argument.

If you want to look at how others view them, the fact that no AD has seriously considered March for a HC job is pretty telling. You’d think he’d at least get a look if he was in that upper echelon. To the contrary, there’s been more talk about him being on the hot seat since moving to Cuse…
You mean “I” am not more certain or other people? March on the hot seat? :lol: :lol: :lol: I bet you heard that on the internet and not from someone close to the program…..like I have. As for HC opportunities….. You might be right, or you might be wrong. I have no idea.
thegman

Post by thegman »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:39 pm Aren’t there more Kelly’s in the pipeline? 😉😂
Um, no. See Shuey Kelly's commit to Gtown

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”