Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
GratefulRed

Re: Recruiting

Post by GratefulRed »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:55 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:52 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:43 pm A turd college if they won, would be able to recruit.
If Turd College were real, what would its colors and mascot be?
Lmao. Brown with a speck of green. 💩 Of course.
:lol: I am dying over here--we need lax season, bad
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:09 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:07 pm
lax410 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:43 am
Relax77 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:38 am
lax410 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:24 am Not hung up. I get the analogy. Just pointing out that school taking a turn is unlikely.

Coastal is a better example. And is already popular with NE kids. If the southern school and big football love that is so prevalent now changes, we may see a new trend.

And BC is a hugely popular school outside of wlax. At my kid’s HS they had 20 go for binding ED there. 3 got in.
It’s not about the school taking a turn. It’s about If they were good at lax people would go there. It can be Bart Simpson college. If BS college was top 5 in lax, all these top kids would go there. The idea that kids go to these schools just because the school is great in my opinion is false. If that was the case every kid who would want to be a Laywer and couldn’t get into Stanford would go to a school like (notice I said like) Bucknell. And it’s not totally about area. Kids flock to Syracuse.
I disagree. I see kids making different choices all the time. They’re considering both the school and the lax. This isn’t new or complicated. A school, more often than not, gets to be a top lax school because they have both.
Guess it’ll get “complicated” if Coastal keeps improving. They have a 29% graduation rate. Certainly not considered a good school. Have a great day.
To be fair, their lax level and academic level is pretty similar, middle-of-the-pack college.

However, if you benchmark them against any of their A-Sun competition, are any of those schools significantly better than them academically?

Are we making these same comments about girls who choose to go to Campbell, Radford or Kennesaw? in fact, CCU is probably MUCH better academically than Lindenwood or Stetson
He’s right. My son goes to Coastal. It’s not a great school. He got a 95avg never opens a book. Goes out 4-5 nights a week. Never studies. Idiot made South Carolina but chose Coastal. Wanted to play club hockey at the beach. Lmao. The moron found out the practice rink was in Charleston two hours away. So yeah, we can guide them, but they don’t listen.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Deacon022 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:10 pm
lax410 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:24 am Not hung up. I get the analogy. Just pointing out that school taking a turn is unlikely.

Coastal is a better example. And is already popular with NE kids. If the southern school and big football love that is so prevalent now changes, we may see a new trend.

And BC is a hugely popular school outside of wlax. At my kid’s HS they had 20 go for binding ED there. 3 got in.
It’s not about the school taking a turn. It’s about If they were good at lax people would go there. It can be Bart Simpson college. If BS college was top 5 in lax, all these top kids would go there. The idea that kids go to these schools just because the school is great in my opinion is false. If that was the case every kid who would want to be a Laywer and couldn’t get into Stanford would go to a school like (notice I said like) Bucknell. And it’s not totally about area. Kids flock to Syracuse.
I disagree. I see kids making different choices all the time. They’re considering both the school and the lax. This isn’t new or complicated. A school, more often than not, gets to be a top lax school because they have both.
Guess it’ll get “complicated” if Coastal keeps improving. They have a 29% graduation rate. Certainly not considered a good school. Have a great day.
To be fair, their lax level and academic level is pretty similar, middle-of-the-pack college.

However, if you benchmark them against any of their A-Sun competition, are any of those schools significantly better than them academically?

Are we making these same comments about girls who choose to go to Campbell, Radford or Kennesaw? in fact, CCU is probably MUCH better academically than Lindenwood or Stetson
He’s right. My son goes to Coastal. It’s not a great school. He got a 95avg never opens a book. Goes out 4-5 nights a week. Never studies. Idiot made South Carolina but chose Coastal. Wanted to play club hockey at the beach. Lmao. The moron found out the practice rink was in Charleston two hours away. So yeah, we can guide them, but they don’t listen.
Dad? Is that you?
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:29 pm

Dad? Is that you?
Haha. He’s next to me right now. Funny when he was talking about going down south to college I never factored in the five plane rides (two holiday and one spring break $$$$$$) into the price of college. I get upset but he loves it there. I was hoping he switched after freshman year but that’s not happening.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Deacon022 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:08 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:29 pm

Dad? Is that you?
Haha. He’s next to me right now. Funny when he was talking about going down south to college I never factored in the five plane rides (two holiday and one spring break $$$$$$) into the price of college. I get upset but he loves it there. I was hoping he switched after freshman year but that’s not happening.
Sh@t. You could still adopt me and let me go to Coastal on your dime.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

https://lacrossemagazine.com

What's with this publication? anyone know more? Big presence on social media. Super popular among recruits. Their recruiting rankings get more activity and attention from recruits than inside lacrosse. They don't host camps or events that i know of. There is no information about who's actually behind the publication or employees.

Been following them since about 2020 when they were putting out watchlists. That website has now been "under construction" for over a year. No other information. yet recruits go crazy whenever they post rankings. what am i missing?
UO22

Post by UO22 »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:43 pm https://lacrossemagazine.com

What's with this publication? anyone know more? Big presence on social media. Super popular among recruits. Their recruiting rankings get more activity and attention from recruits than inside lacrosse. They don't host camps or events that i know of. There is no information about who's actually behind the publication or employees.

Been following them since about 2020 when they were putting out watchlists. That website has now been "under construction" for over a year. No other information. yet recruits go crazy whenever they post rankings. what am i missing?
I have often wondered this myself. About a month ago a stumbled across one of their watchlist for the 2023. The list had a lot of the known names from the class, but also had a good number of girls that are now at name programs that I was not familiar with. Nonetheless, they seem to more of their homework than IL does.
bolt75

Post by bolt75 »

UO22 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:54 pm

I have often wondered this myself. About a month ago a stumbled across one of their watchlist for the 2023. The list had a lot of the known names from the class, but also had a good number of girls that are now at name programs that I was not familiar with. Nonetheless, they seem to more of their homework than IL does.
They are "sus" as the kids say. They didn't do *anything* for the 2024 class. And they do NOT do their homework. I have a lacrosse instagram page that has maybe 2000 followers and they dm'd me asking for recs of any good players in my area. Um, I'm a lacrosse parent. Not exactly an expert. I literally have no idea why they have so many followers. But tbh I don't think Inside Lacrosse does any better on the girls/womens side. Their lists are also phoned in as far as I can tell.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

bolt75 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:50 pm

They are "sus" as the kids say. They didn't do *anything* for the 2024 class. And they do NOT do their homework. I have a lacrosse instagram page that has maybe 2000 followers and they dm'd me asking for recs of any good players in my area. Um, I'm a lacrosse parent. Not exactly an expert. I literally have no idea why they have so many followers. But tbh I don't think Inside Lacrosse does any better on the girls/womens side. Their lists are also phoned in as far as I can tell.
Il rankings lax mag rankings. Lax forum Botc etc etc
Attachments
IMG_8276 Small.jpeg
IMG_8276 Small.jpeg (28.46 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:02 pm
bolt75 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:50 pm

Il rankings lax mag rankings. Lax forum Botc etc etc

Amen!!
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

"Idiot" and "moron" in the same post. Ouch.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:46 pm

"Idiot" and "moron" in the same post. Ouch.
Son went to Coastal out of spite. Or he just likes the beach and having a good time
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

[/quote

If homework is asking 3 people what 50 kids to put on a national list then yeah. That list is just another extension of BOTC and most likely run by some lax dad. At least IL watches games.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

For what its worth, they reached out to my 27 a couple weeks ago and asked her to apply. She didn't apply, but feels like they are doing at least a little legwork.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:39 am

For what its worth, they reached out to my 27 a couple weeks ago and asked her to apply. She didn't apply, but feels like they are doing at least a little legwork.
Thanks for the tidbit. Interestingly enough i think they focus more on the girls and women's game. If they are legit, maybe they can give IL some competition. I love IL and i appreciate what they've done for the sport but their little mini monopoly over the sport has caused them to become a bit lazy at times especially with the women's coverage compared to the men.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Thought i'd mention that Syracuse may luck out once again with a former alum's kid. Paul Carcaterra's daughter who's a 2027 is one to watch. She looks Humphrey-esque..

way too early to know how she'll develop but she's looking like a real problem

Syracuse and good lacrosse genes go hand in hand it seems.
HailMaryPass

Post by HailMaryPass »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:43 am Something else to consider... For lots of girls in college, especially in their jr or sr years, lots of them are just done with lax after for the most part playing at a high level since 3rd grade.

For both my 20 and 23, there are upperclassmen on their teams (both top 40 schools) who are clearly checked-out (including a couple who actually play). They don't quit the team because most of their friends are on it, but they are clearly focused on other priorities and truly don't care how much they play.

And all of the girls who are burned out are from LI or Maryland. Small sample size, but I think there is somethingto it.

Burnout is real, especially from lax hotbeds.
Always found this interesting. from D3 school experience, upperclassmen that were checked out/burned out or didn't have a chance of playing a role either on field or sideline were cut from the team. Even seniors that were part of the social circle, did the workouts, kept good grades etc.

Seems like this is not the case with top 40 D1 teams or is it? Makes me wonder how much effort coaches put in to balance the roster size/spots for kids that may actually contribute on the field or in leadership roles versus keeping the peace for the social atmosphere of the team. Esp on teams with a travel roster and how those choices effect the vibe.

"Personality hires" are extremely important for retention rates, players having fun and less drama. Maybe that's why there were so many issues with the D3 school example...
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

HailMaryPass wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:39 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:43 am Something else to consider... For lots of girls in college, especially in their jr or sr years, lots of them are just done with lax after for the most part playing at a high level since 3rd grade.

For both my 20 and 23, there are upperclassmen on their teams (both top 40 schools) who are clearly checked-out (including a couple who actually play). They don't quit the team because most of their friends are on it, but they are clearly focused on other priorities and truly don't care how much they play.

And all of the girls who are burned out are from LI or Maryland. Small sample size, but I think there is somethingto it.

Burnout is real, especially from lax hotbeds.
Always found this interesting. from D3 school experience, upperclassmen that were checked out/burned out or didn't have a chance of playing a role either on field or sideline were cut from the team. Even seniors that were part of the social circle, did the workouts, kept good grades etc.

Seems like this is not the case with top 40 D1 teams or is it? Makes me wonder how much effort coaches put in to balance the roster size/spots for kids that may actually contribute on the field or in leadership roles versus keeping the peace for the social atmosphere of the team. Esp on teams with a travel roster and how those choices effect the vibe.

"Personality hires" are extremely important for retention rates, players having fun and less drama. Maybe that's why there were so many issues with the D3 school example...
Based on our experience alone (don't want to speak for any other programs), I think it is a combo of a few things

1) Total numbers to have a practice. At the D1 level, many schools run 2 fields when they are working on settled play-- first unit and rotation players and a full scout team.

this means you usually have 17 field players on first team O (7 starters 3-4 backups plus 7 on scout team) and 17 field players on first team D. This means you need at least 34-36 healthy field players at any time. Ultimately, this means needing bodies.

2) Relationships with top club programs. Another big reason why lots of girls who will never play don't get cut is that coaches don't want to sour relationships with the top club programs who they regularly pull girls from. Hearing about girls who get cut don't help recruit future girls

3) Relationships within the team. Lots of upperclassmen bench players are key parts of the team social circle. (even more than many of the starters). Don't want to create additional drama.
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:48 am Thought i'd mention that Syracuse may luck out once again with a former alum's kid. Paul Carcaterra's daughter who's a 2027 is one to watch. She looks Humphrey-esque..

way too early to know how she'll develop but she's looking like a real problem

Syracuse and good lacrosse genes go hand in hand it seems.
She's a 2028, not a 2027 (she played up a grade when she was with Grizzlies). It's still early, but she's definitely a strong player - not just in the video clips posted by her club's social media team, but in real life. Great stick skills and nice speed. I imagine she'll be ranked pretty highly in the recruiting class.

My daughter met her a while back and she seems like a genuinely nice young person. My kid had no idea who her dad was until after they connected on social media and a Google search was done. :lol:
Last edited by NutmegCrunch on Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
610Lax

Post by 610Lax »

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:11 pm If the overriding decisions in women's lacrosse are mostly based on academic prestige, then Duke and the Ivies would be regulars winning lacrosse games over Memorial Day weekend.
I would not be surprised if Duke is second to last in ACC this year, even though it has it's pick of top players every year.
Northwestern is the best combo of winning and academic prestige, but I give all the credit to KAH. If she leaves, so do the championship runs.
I commend any women going to an Ivy league program, just never had the FOMO about the Ivies. I always liked to play my music a little too loud and use more colorful language when the Ivies came to play us on fall Saturdays back in college.
No they wouldn't.

You're underestimating the difficulty in gaining admittance to these schools and being able to maintain the expected academic standards of these schools and other high academic schools, like those in the Patriot league. Great lacrosse players with a 2.8 GPA aren't getting into Duke, an Ivy or a Patriot league school as well as some others, regardless of how good they are. But in all honesty, do girls with a 2.8 GPA really have the desire to go to those type of schools anyway? Probably not, and there is nothing wrong with that. Everyone has their own path and a lot goes into which school a player chooses.

I think you're also underestimating the importance of the coaches role, both in how they identify talent and how they develop that talent. Duke's classes are never short on top ranked players, neither are Princeton, Penn or Dartmouth's. It's how much better that player gets once they get to these schools that has more of an impact on who wins games on Memorial Day weekend, as you stated.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”