Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:52 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:50 pm I remember when Musk started Tesla and he was the darling of every liberal on the planet. When that honeymoon came to an end it moved strait into divorce court.
He was never the darling or every liberal. :roll:
He did a cameo on The Big Bang Theory years ago. This may seem nonsensical to you but he was treated like a brilliant genius. How Hollywood looked up to him was pretty damn obvious. The last time I checked doc Hollywood is ground zero for liberal ideology. ;)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:17 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:50 pm I remember when Musk started Tesla and he was the darling of every liberal on the planet. When that honeymoon came to an end it moved strait into divorce court.
He did a cameo on The Big Bang Theory years ago. This may seem nonsensical to you but he was treated like a brilliant genius. How Hollywood looked up to him was pretty damn obvious. The last time I checked doc Hollywood is ground zero for liberal ideology. ;)
Thats not true either. There are as many hollowood types that are conservatives, like Clint Eastwood, Bruce Willis, Vince Vaughn, Kelsey Grammer, Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, Tom Selleck, etc., etc., etc.

I can speak for one liberal who never thought much of him. It was clear from the first time I ever saw the guy that he was an attention/media whore. The more I saw of him, the more objectionable he became.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:15 am
Thats not true either. There are as many hollowood types that are conservatives, like Clint Eastwood, Bruce Willis, Vince Vaughn, Kelsey Grammer, Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, Tom Selleck, etc., etc., etc.

I can speak for one liberal who never thought much of him. It was clear from the first time I ever saw the guy that he was an attention/media whore. The more I saw of him, the more objectionable he became.
https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r ... 43BF&FORM=

You can sense the anger and distain for Elon a mile away. :D It comes across as Elon being idolized for who he is. There is no denying doc that there was a point in time when you FLP liberals had a huge crush on Elon. If nothing else doc your loyalties are fickle to say the least. Sorta like how the NYC liberals sucked up to trump and his checkbook. The only thing that is for certain here is that Musk doesnt give a rats rear end about what you think of him. I think insignificant is the word I am looking for. I hope your middle of the night research is going well.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:15 am

There is a never ending stream of conservatives in Hollywood. All of them standing in the unemployment line. Funny you mention Tom Selleck. His character on Blue Bloods fits to a tee what an MD lax conservative should be. I guess you can't judge a person by their TV role. There are few actors/actresses in Hollywood that boldly assert republican/conservative principles. They do have to earn a living after all. :D
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Musk losses another battle. Bob Iger at Disney won his proxy fight today, defeating the Peltz raiders by more than a 2 to 1 margin. Of course an issue that didn't concern Musk required his comment. He loudly backed Peltz's attempt even though Musk owns no Disney stock. This was his get even because Disney cancelled all their Twitter advertising when Musk made it the go to forum for all hate speech. This fight adds no value to Musk or his company, nothing in it for him, but he felt compelled to get involved. Nothing to gain he could only lose. He lost! He is a putz as a company CEO!

If Peltz wants to raid a company and force a BOD change, I would suggest Tesla and Twitter. :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Nick Caldwell, former General Manager at Twitter, has initiated a legal confrontation with Elon Musk and the company now known as X, over allegations of unpaid severance benefits totaling millions of dollars. Caldwell, who once steered Twitter’s core tech team, asserts that he and other executives were deprived of around $200 million in severance following Musk’s Twitter acquisition, as detailed in a lawsuit filed in a California federal court.

I would think unless it is bankrupt Twitter will have to pay this, with penalties and interest.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

State AG running offense for Musk:

https://www.publicnotice.co/p/missouri- ... rew-bailey

"Move over Ken Paxton! There’s a new crazy state attorney general in town, and he’s coming for your crooked crown.

Last week, Missouri Attorney General Andrew Bailey “sued” Media Matters for America (MMFA) in the Circuit Court of Cole County. Then he raced to the microphone to congratulate himself all over conservative media for being a brave little warrior for free speech.

"What we can’t have is a market manipulation in the form of a corporate pressure campaign based on lies to destroy one of the last platforms dedicated to free speech,” he crowed to podcast host Benny Johnson, before launching into an extended ode to Elon Musk, larded with rightwing meme mongering.

In reality, AG Bailey didn’t sue MMFA to protect free speech. He went after MMFA to punish it for saying things that pissed off the increasingly unstable owner of X (or twitter). And he didn’t really sue MMFA at all — he just asked a judge to enforce a subpoena immediately, before MMFA had even been served, to prevent it from asking a federal judge to intervene and protect its First Amendment rights.

Which actually makes AG Bailey the government censor he pretends to be fighting.

The world’s most thin-skinned billionaire

The trouble started back in November 2023, just a year after Musk’s cringeworthy attempt to memify his takeover by wandering into Twitter’s headquarters carrying an actual sink.

The billionaire’s increasingly erratic behavior had advertisers edging toward the door, particularly his embrace of the racist “Great Replacement” theory. But then MMFA, a progressive media watchdog group, published a story by senior investigative reporter Eric Hananoki showing screenshots of explicitly pro-Nazi content on the site next to ads from major corporations like Apple, Xfinity, IBM, and Oracle. (The images below show how ads for the companies like were served next to Nazi content.)

Twitter’s putative CEO Linda Yaccarino had assured nervous brands that they would be “protected” from this sort of thing, and in the days that followed, multiple major companies, including Apple and IBM, paused their ad spending on the platform.

As is his habit, Musk responded by throwing a very public tantrum.

“The split second court opens on Monday, X Corp will be filing a thermonuclear lawsuit against Media Matters and ALL those who colluded in this fraudulent attack on our company,” he tweeted, accusing MMFA of seeking to “manipulate the public and advertisers” by screwing with twitter’s algorithm.

Essentially, MMFA created a new account and followed a lot of Nazi content while simultaneously blocking ads for the janky shower scrubbers and pancake makeup that clog the normal twitter feed these days. That’s not fraud; it’s doing exactly what twitter users do — following certain accounts while blocking annoying ones.

“Once they curated their feed, they repeatedly refreshed their timelines to find a rare instance of ads serving next to the content they chose to follow,” Musk fumed. “Our logs indicate that they forced a scenario resulting in 13 times the number of ads served compared to the median ads served to an X user.”

Musk’s insistence that almost no one saw the ads juxtaposed with pro-Hitler posts only served to confirm the accuracy of Hananoki’s reporting. Nevertheless, twitter did actually file a complaint against MMFA the next day in the federal courthouse in Fort Worth.

The lawsuit is offensively stupid, not least because the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure do not allow a plaintiff from California to drag a defendant from DC all the way to Texas on the theory that posting something online subjects the speaker to jurisdiction in any courthouse in the country. It’s part of a pattern of abusive litigation by Musk’s companies, forcing his targets to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees to fight off garbage lawsuits. The process itself is the punishment, even if the victims ultimately prevail in court.

The PICK ME AGs

Back in November, as Musk was raging, Trump’s former hate speech writer Stephen Miller demanded to know why Republican state prosecutors weren’t rushing to defend Saint Elon’s sacred honor.

“Fraud is both a civil and criminal violation,” he tweeted pointedly. “There are 2 dozen+ conservative state Attorneys General.”

Of course, there was no fraud, as Musk himself had just confirmed. But when Musk responded to Miller, “Interesting. Both civil and criminal …” the Missouri AG replied within hours that his office was “looking into this matter.”

But first … Texas

AG Bailey has only been in office for a year, so he’s a little less quick on the evil draw than Texas AG Ken Paxton, who’s held the office since 2015.

On November 20, Paxton announced that “We are examining the issue closely to ensure that the public has not been deceived by the schemes of radical left-wing organizations who would like nothing more than to limit freedom by reducing participation in the public square.”

And he meant it! Paxton’s office issued an immediate subpoena for “all documents related to internal and external communications relating to [Hananoki’s] article,” including internal reporting documents, as well as demands to paw through MMFA’s finances.

MMFA responded by seeking an injunction in federal court in DC, along with a court order declaring that Paxton’s subpoena “constitutes a First Amendment retaliatory action in violation of Plaintiffs’ rights under the First and Fourteenth Amendments of the U.S. Constitution” and ruling that “courts in the State of Texas cannot exercise personal jurisdiction over Plaintiffs in any imminent action to enforce the Demand.”

In its complaint, MMFA alleged that Paxton’s saber-rattling “chilled Media Matters’s and Hananoki’s speech and press activities.”

Draft articles [Hananoki] intended to publish about extremism on X were cut for fear of generating documents that would be subject to Paxton’s Demand and further retaliation from Paxton. In fact, since Paxton launched his investigation, Hananoki has not published any stories about the rise of extremist rhetoric in the wake of Musk’s ownership after consistently doing so for months.

Hananoki’s diminished reporting output is not for lack of story ideas. Since Paxton’s investigation began, Hananoki has continued generating potential story ideas regarding extremist content on X but has not pursued them for fear of retaliation.

That action remains pending before Judge Amit Mehta. But in the meantime, AG Bailey wasn’t going to get tripped up by those fancypants MMFA lawyers trying to assert their client’s constitutional rights.

The best defense (against the First Amendment) is a good offense

Last Monday, March 25, AG Bailey issued a subpoena to MMFA demanding financial information on all the nonprofit’s donors in Missouri, including their names and banking institutions. The civil investigative demand (CID) had a return date of April 15, but the very same day Bailey marched into court and asked a judge to preemptively find the nonprofit in default.

First he made scurrilous claims about MMFA defrauding its donors, while praising Musk for his dedication to the First Amendment.

Media Matters, a self-styled not-for-profit “progressive research and information center,” envisions itself monitoring, analyzing, and correcting “conservative misinformation” in the U.S. media. In fact, this description falls far short of reality for this political activist organization. Instead, rather than passively “monitoring,” Media Matters has used fraud to solicit donations from Missourians in order to trick advertisers into removing their advertisements from X, formerly Twitter, one of the last platforms dedicated to free speech in America.

Media Matters has pursued an activist agenda in its attempt to destroy X, because they cannot control it. And because they cannot control it, or the free speech platform it provides to Missourians to express their own viewpoints in the public square, the radical “progressives” at Media Matters have resorted to fraud to, as Benjamin Franklin once said, mark X “for the odium of the public, as an enemy to the liberty of the press.” Missourians will not be manipulated by “progressive” activists masquerading as news outlets, and they will not be defrauded in the process.

Bailey didn’t say exactly what “fraud” he was talking about — possibly because “MMFA followed a bunch of Nazis and refreshed the feed a lot” is not fraud. Instead he gestured vaguely in the direction of the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act, an ordinary consumer protection statute which allows the AG to regulate charities, and insisted that it empowered him to harass MMFA for hurting poor ‘widdle Elon’s feelings.

But that wasn’t even the craziest part!

Explicitly citing MMFA’s efforts to fight the Texas subpoena, Bailey insisted that “Media Matters has expressed its intent not to comply with CIDs like this one.”

“For example, the State of Texas served on Media Matters a virtually identical civil investigative demand in December of 2023, which Media Matters refused to comply with and instead filed a lawsuit to block compliance and disclosure of information and materials,” he wrote, urging the court to preemptively treat MMFA as if it were out of compliance.

All of which occurred before MMFA had even been officially served. The Attorney General for the state of Missouri has literally asked a state judge to treat MMFA’s efforts to vindicate its Constitutional rights as an act of defiance, and demanded an order barring the nonprofit from seeking federal redress.

Which is nuts, but AG Bailey has been far too busy ranting to his pals at Newsmax about MMFA’s “coercive or fraudulent algorithms or advertising” and gushing that “Elon Musk has done so much to protect our rights to First Amendment free speech, so we’re going to stand with him and make sure to hold wrongdoers accountable.”

"Missouri has been a champion of free speech since I took office,” Bailey said during a hit last November, seemingly impervious to the irony of the state’s top law enforcement official seeking revenge on a media outlet. (Watch a clip below.)

On March 26, Bailey headed over to his pal Benny Johnson’s show to sing another ode to Elon. Calling MMFA a “radical progressive tyrannical group” he accused it of “bullying” twitter, where Musk has worked tirelessly to “ensure fairness.”

Bailey even got an attaboy from the big man himself.

Meanwhile, back in DC …

AG Bailey’s shenanigans did not go unnoticed in DC, where MMFA’s lawyers urged Judge Amit Mehta to hurry up and rule on the requested injunction before any other red state AG takes up the Musk mantle.

“Bailey’s actions starkly underscore the need for prompt injunctive relief in this matter,” they wrote, noting that, under Paxton and Bailey’s reasoning, MMFA would have to defend itself in any state with a Republican AG intent on hauling it into state court. “In addition to further chilling Plaintiffs’ speech, and burdening them with yet more meritless litigation, Bailey’s conduct illustrates the risk of finding that District of Columbia courts are powerless to provide relief to D.C. residents targeted by retaliatory state actors.”

They also note that Bailey has conceded that his demand is “virtually identical” to Paxton’s, so an injunction against the Texas subpoena should functionally preclude Missouri as well.

But in some sense, the damage is already done. Hananoki was forced to back off reporting on twitter and Musk, and other outlets who don’t want the smoke have likely been warded off entirely.

“If you’re a newsroom, especially a resource-starved one, you have to start making decisions: is it worth it to write this one piece on Elon and X if it means that you’ll be stuck in a million-dollar legal battle?” MMFA president Angelo Carusone told The Guardian. “Most newsrooms do not have the resources to pay legal fees to fight Elon Musk, especially now that state AGs are stepping in.”

Musk’s garbage lawsuits against small media outlets are a win, even when he loses, because they serve as a warning to anyone who might write mean, true things about him. But if he can get his goons in the state AG’s offices to step in, that’s just icing on the cake. And since red state AGs like Paxton and Bailey have decided that scoring culture war points and sucking up to a deranged billionaire is their actual job, the assault on free speech seems likely to continue."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

.... Musk's day in the barrel is coming!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Musk in the spotlight, again:

Remember this: https://x.com/leslibless/status/1777170015386554757

Now this: https://apnews.com/article/brazil-musk- ... 02908466ab

Free speech argument front and center...in first clip, seems Joe was all over it.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:12 pm Musk in the spotlight, again:

Free speech argument front and center...in first clip, seems Joe was all over it.
It depresses me that this obviously bright guy wastes his time on this stupid twitter thing, when his talents are better directed into space or Tesla, and making those things work.

It's his call, obviously. But it's clear as day he's no different than anyone else who owns an electronic printing press....so what's the benefit to having him waste his time with twitter?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

The first is about the technical relationships that Musk has with other countries warrants being looked at. He doesn’t say Musk has done anything wrong but he’s talking about space and other such agreements that may have national defense implications.

I have no idea of the merits of the Brazil objection but most countries consider certain kinds of speech to be criminal and have the right to treat as such. We also consider some speech to be criminal, so it’s a matter of where the line is drawn not whether it can or should be drawn. Obviously, we err heavily to open speech, but it’s not as if Any speech is ok, whether criminally or civilly.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:07 pm

The first is about the technical relationships that Musk has with other countries warrants being looked at. He doesn’t say Musk has done anything wrong but he’s talking about space and other such agreements that may have national defense implications.

I have no idea of the merits of the Brazil objection but most countries consider certain kinds of speech to be criminal and have the right to treat as such. We also consider some speech to be criminal, so it’s a matter of where the line is drawn not whether it can or should be drawn. Obviously, we err heavily to open speech, but it’s not as if Any speech is ok, whether criminally or civilly.
Starlink comes to mind.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:10 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:07 pm

Starlink comes to mind.
Yup, critical.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

farfromgeneva or finance guys know if this is an acquisition target if things go further south?

My brother still loves his Tesla , and really admires the engineering that went into it.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:28 pm
farfromgeneva or finance guys know if this is an acquisition target if things go further south?

My brother still loves his Tesla , and really admires the engineering that went into it.
Huge market capitalization makes it difficult but not the fortess it once was….depending on where they see the value, Apple, Google, Alphabet, Mircrosoft, Meta, Amazon or an Nvidia ( a bit far a field) could do possibly do it. LMVH as a portfolio brand?

I would bet on Musk being pushed out before that happens.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:07 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:28 pm

Huge market capitalization makes it difficult but not the fortess it once was….depending on where they see the value, Apple, Google, Alphabet, Mircrosoft, Meta, Amazon or an Nvidia ( a bit far a field) could do possibly do it. LMVH as a portfolio brand?

I would bet on Musk being pushed out before that happens.
Space X. He is a security risk.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “POLITICS”