OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:16 am Notre Dame at Brown

I wouldn't want to try handicapping
The main reason this particular game was intriguing yet wouldn't want to try handicapping: Katrina Dowd. She's been around long enough to have an idea of how to play Notre Dame. And to a lesser degree, the game was at Providence. I don't know it to be a fact but I'm guessing the reason why Brown instantly became a tougher out this season is because of Dowd. The Ivy portion of the rest of the schedule should be compelling--especially these four games. If Spidey had a futures section for which teams would make the Ivy Tournament, I'd wager Brown is a shoo-in.

at Yale
Dartmouth
Princeton
at Penn

OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:08 pm 16. Yale - Idk about the Ivy but they beat Stanford, who I think is better than most...
17. Stanford - Flying under the radar with an RPI of 9....they're really talented.
Let's hope Kleizaster doesn't see these inflammatory remarks.

LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

hmmm wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:08 pm My mostly uninformed Top 20(totally subject to change at any moment):
1. Northwestern - While they haven't played all that well so far, they still have the best team and I have no doubt come NCAA time they'll be the team to beat
2. Maryland - They have better wins than BC does. Simple as that.
3. UVA - They also have better wins than BC does. Now I think BC is a better team than UVA, but rankings are supposed to be based on season to date, not potential. They are also #1 in RPI
4. BC - Yeah, you can only play who is on your schedule as Larry says, but AWW makes the schedule and until they beat a team that's even close to a top 20 team I can't put them in top 3. There's a reason their current RPI is 28th
5. Loyola - Undefeated with wins over Hop and Florida who are both top 10 in RPI. Again, this is based on right now. Loyola only has 2 tough matchups left on their schedule, 3 if you want to count Navy(I don't), so they won't end up this high.
6. JMU - They beat UNC and lost to MD. Nothing else to really judge them on with the rest of the teams they've played. Eye test says their defense isn't what it's been lately but offense is still humming
7. UNC - When they're playing well they can beat anyone. When they aren't playing well they can lost to anyone. Story of this season for a lot of teams
8. ND - I just don't trust them. I've seen them play several times and you wouldn't even know it's the same team from game to game. They beat #1 and UNC so they have to be in the top 10
9. Michigan - Really curious to see them play a top offense. Really good win against Denver but Denver doesn't scare anyone on the offensive side of the field.
10. Florida - Big win against MD and beat a scrappy Princeton team today. Only play one more tough game this season so assume they'll hang around this spot all year
11. Penn - They're well coached and have talent at all positions. I'm not sure they're better than the 4 teams below them on these rankings but they beat one of them in a strange game....
12. Hopkins - By RPI, their two losses are to #2 and #3 in games they could have won. We'll see if they can keep things close this weekend in Evanston
13. Denver - Idk. They're not the same team as last year but I thought it was a bit of a mirage last year too. One good win against SB, but it was SBs second game in 3 days with quite a bit of travel in between. Can't really rank them below SB though 2 days after beating them
14. Stony Brook - Ruined their chances for a home NCAA game in the span of 3 days after celebrating like they won something after beating a 3-2(at the time) Syracuse team.
15. Syracuse - Yes, I think they're a top 10 team, but I can't rank them there at 4-3 with only one good win. Kayla has been outcoached in a couple games this year(MD and SB) and with 4 tough games on the schedule(UVA, Cuse, UNC, BC) not sure they're going to have the kind of regular season they expected to
16. Yale - Idk about the Ivy but they beat Stanford, who I think is better than most and they beat Princeton. At this point in the rankings you could throw a dart at the dartboard. Couple tough OOC games against Rutgers and BC coming up will tell us more.
17. Stanford - Flying under the radar with an RPI of 9. They could make me look stupid in their next 2 games against Colorado and Denver but they're really talented. Not a fan of the coach but finally getting Jordyn Case healthy after 2 lost years is a boost as is Polisky assuming she can control her temper and cut down on the TOs. No good wins yet, but neither does anyone else down at this part of the rankings
18. Princeton - Going by the eye test, Princeton has talent. They beat Rutgers and PSU which is more than I can say for teams that aren't ranked here. OOC they still have Loyola and MD on schedule so they'll have a chance to make a statement.
19. USC - They're 6-2 but who have they beaten? They don't really have anyone left on their schedule other than Stanford, and I guess Colorado. If they don't win both those games are they even an NCAA tournament team?
20. Clemson - I can't rank them higher than this until they beat a top 20 team at some point. With their weak schedule, unless they beat BC, Cuse or ND I doubt they make the NCAAs even with a 11-5 record in regular season.

In terms of tiers:
Tier 1: Northwestern
Tier 2: MD, UVA, BC, Loyola, JMU, UNC, ND, Michigan, Florida, Penn, Hopkins, Denver, Stony Brook, Syracuse (I truly believe any of these teams can beat the others which has made this season great so far)
Tier 3: Yale, Stanford, Princeton, USC, Clemson, Navy, Harvard, Brown, Duke, Rutgers, PSU, Colorado, Va Tech, Drexel
Tier 4: Everyone else

Well done. Tiers make sense. If I had to nitpick (which is kinda the point of online message boards), I'd drop Drexel from bottom tier; other than a close loss to Penn, really haven't showed me much. I'd potentially replace them with Delaware or Fairfield
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:30 am
hmmm wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:08 pm My mostly uninformed Top 20(totally subject to change at any moment):
1. Northwestern - While they haven't played all that well so far, they still have the best team and I have no doubt come NCAA time they'll be the team to beat
3. UVA - They also have better wins than BC does. Now I think BC is a better team than UVA, but rankings are supposed to be based on season to date, not potential. They are also #1 in RPI
4. BC - Yeah, you can only play who is on your schedule as Larry says, but AWW makes the schedule and until they beat a team that's even close to a top 20 team I can't put them in top 3. There's a reason their current RPI is 28th
5. Loyola - Undefeated with wins over Hop and Florida who are both top 10 in RPI. Again, this is based on right now. Loyola only has 2 tough matchups left on their schedule, 3 if you want to count Navy(I don't), so they won't end up this high.
6. JMU - They beat UNC and lost to MD. Nothing else to really judge them on with the rest of the teams they've played. Eye test says their defense isn't what it's been lately but offense is still humming
7. UNC - When they're playing well they can beat anyone. When they aren't playing well they can lost to anyone. Story of this season for a lot of teams
8. ND - I just don't trust them. I've seen them play several times and you wouldn't even know it's the same team from game to game. They beat #1 and UNC so they have to be in the top 10
9. Michigan - Really curious to see them play a top offense. Really good win against Denver but Denver doesn't scare anyone on the offensive side of the field.
10. Florida - Big win against MD and beat a scrappy Princeton team today. Only play one more tough game this season so assume they'll hang around this spot all year
11. Penn - They're well coached and have talent at all positions. I'm not sure they're better than the 4 teams below them on these rankings but they beat one of them in a strange game....
12. Hopkins - By RPI, their two losses are to #2 and #3 in games they could have won. We'll see if they can keep things close this weekend in Evanston
13. Denver - Idk. They're not the same team as last year but I thought it was a bit of a mirage last year too. One good win against SB, but it was SBs second game in 3 days with quite a bit of travel in between. Can't really rank them below SB though 2 days after beating them
14. Stony Brook - Ruined their chances for a home NCAA game in the span of 3 days after celebrating like they won something after beating a 3-2(at the time) Syracuse team.
15. Syracuse - Yes, I think they're a top 10 team, but I can't rank them there at 4-3 with only one good win. Kayla has been outcoached in a couple games this year(MD and SB) and with 4 tough games on the schedule(UVA, Cuse, UNC, BC) not sure they're going to have the kind of regular season they expected to
16. Yale - Idk about the Ivy but they beat Stanford, who I think is better than most and they beat Princeton. At this point in the rankings you could throw a dart at the dartboard. Couple tough OOC games against Rutgers and BC coming up will tell us more.
17. Stanford - Flying under the radar with an RPI of 9. They could make me look stupid in their next 2 games against Colorado and Denver but they're really talented. Not a fan of the coach but finally getting Jordyn Case healthy after 2 lost years is a boost as is Polisky assuming she can control her temper and cut down on the TOs. No good wins yet, but neither does anyone else down at this part of the rankings
18. Princeton - Going by the eye test, Princeton has talent. They beat Rutgers and PSU which is more than I can say for teams that aren't ranked here. OOC they still have Loyola and MD on schedule so they'll have a chance to make a statement.
19. USC - They're 6-2 but who have they beaten? They don't really have anyone left on their schedule other than Stanford, and I guess Colorado. If they don't win both those games are they even an NCAA tournament team?
20. Clemson - I can't rank them higher than this until they beat a top 20 team at some point. With their weak schedule, unless they beat BC, Cuse or ND I doubt they make the NCAAs even with a 11-5 record in regular season.

In terms of tiers:
Tier 2: MD, UVA, BC, Loyola, JMU, UNC, ND, Michigan, Florida, Penn, Hopkins, Denver, Stony Brook, Syracuse (I truly believe any of these teams can beat the others which has made this season great so far)
Tier 3: Yale, Stanford, Princeton, USC, Clemson, Navy, Harvard, Brown, Duke, Rutgers, PSU, Colorado, Va Tech, Drexel

Well done. Tiers make sense. If I had to nitpick (which is kinda the point of online message boards), I'd drop Drexel from bottom tier; other than a close loss to Penn, really haven't showed me much. I'd potentially replace them with Delaware or Fairfield
Tough part about Drexel is they beat PSU and Navy who I think most would agree should be in that tier.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

hmmm wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:48 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:30 am

In terms of tiers:

Tough part about Drexel is they beat PSU and Navy who I think most would agree should be in that tier.
Fair point. I base my own personal rankings more on eye-test than results. Which is why I don't rank Penn as high as most and tend to like USC a bit more than most. Rutgers is a complete enigma to me. I've seen flashes where they look like a tier 2 team and flashes where they are closer to tier 6.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Question for the panel

Kaylee Dyer makes this free position goal from the low hash look like taking candy from a baby. Great fake? Lackluster defense? Missed assignment?

LaxDadMax

Re: Question for the panel

Post by LaxDadMax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:07 am Kaylee Dyer makes this free position goal from the low hash look like taking candy from a baby. Great fake? Lackluster defense? Missed assignment?

Great fake, plus a setup issue. you want your faster defenders applying pressure on the free position.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:07 am Kaylee Dyer makes this free position goal from the low hash look like taking candy from a baby. Great fake? Lackluster defense? Missed assignment?

Really poor defense by No. 20. Her only job is to reach the ball carrier. Nice fake, sure. But still not a great effort by the defender.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:30 am

Really poor defense by No. 20. Her only job is to reach the ball carrier. Nice fake, sure. But still not a great effort by the defender.
fake should have had no impact on #20...swinging her stick is because of her lack of getting to the body. Maybe Dyer is just faster than the defense?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Follow up question: Is it legal to block the attacker on a free position? If 20 got to the spot first, would it be considered a charge if 11 barreled into her, knocking her down, or would it be considered a block?
uncfan1013

Post by uncfan1013 »

Awful start by UNC, 5-0 Cuse 4 minutes in.
OuttaNowhereWregget

uncfan1013 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:14 pm Awful start by UNC, 5-0 Cuse 4 minutes in.
Remarkable. Who saw that coming?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:14 am Follow up question: Is it legal to block the attacker on a free position? If 20 got to the spot first, would it be considered a charge if 11 barreled into her, knocking her down, or would it be considered a block?
Yes, but its more than beating her to spot, she would need to esablished position, which means getting there 2 steps early.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Tiers 3.18

OuttaNowhereWregget

Klaes vs LaMonica 2024 -- JMU at Virginia

Klaes leads the all time series vs LaMonica 10-7 including the last 6. Quite a rivalry over the time LaMonica was at Towson. 5 OT games. Greatest margin of victory--8. I'd say they know each other's style pretty well at this point. Should be a compelling all-gusto war later today.

4/15/11 Towson L 9-10 (OT) *
5/7/11 at Towson W 8-6 #
4/22/12 at Towson L 9-10 (2OT) *
4/29/12 at Towson L 7-8 #
4/7/13 Towson L 10-16 *
4/13/14 at Towson L 11-12 (2OT) *
5/4/14 vs. Towson (N1) L 11-12 (OT) #
4/17/15 Towson W 15-9 *
5/3/15 vs. Towson (N2) W 13-6 #
4/24/16 at #18 Towson W 11-9 *
5/8/16 vs. Towson (N3) L 6-14 #
4/1/17 #13 Towson W 9-5 *
4/28/18 at #6 Towson W 17-16 OT *
5/6/18 #7 Towson W 16-10 #
4/7/19 Towson W 11-7 *
4/18/21 #15 Towson W 14-12
3/3/22 Towson W 14-8

https://jmusports.com/documents/2023/5/ ... k_2023.pdf
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dead heat

OuttaNowhereWregget

I think UVA will do as they always seem to do and come crashing back down this week after two difficult games. The draw continues to be an issue and they are going up against two teams who are good at the draw. going to be a long weekend in hoo ville.

The "this week" is the current one. I didn't tag/quote the member who posted this as I'm not looking to embarrass them. We all make predictions that prove incorrect. (Not your Humble Narrator, of course--but the rest of you.)

It was decidedly not the case vs James Madison last night. The draw issue didn't hurt them in the least. They lost that battle 14-9 but won the game 12-8. Cue the parrots: Braawk! Win the Draw Win the Game!

Ginny jumped out to a 3-0 lead and never allowed the Dukes to close the gap any closer than 2 the rest of the way. They ran the lead up to 6 mid-4th quarter, allowing a couple of afterthought goals to JMU from there on. They were clearly the more hungry, more on-the-ball, more in-control team last night. They didn't play out of their minds, or so it says here. This IS the new edition of the Virginia Cavaliers. This is how they play, this is how hungry and bold and skilled they are. I think they will seriously challenge BC, Notre Dame and Syracuse for the ACC title--both regular season and conference championship.

It occurs to me while typing that coach Sonia LaMonica is also hungry. After toiling in relative obscurity down Towson way, she finally has a roster befitting her coaching talent. She broke a 6 game losing streak to JMU head coach Shelley Klaes last night. I'm sure that has her walking on air a bit this morning. I doubt she'll be satisfied with that however. She and her charges are looking and playing hungry--like they aren't going to be sated with a few big regular season wins. This team is easy to like and root for--they play hard, they play bold--typified by frosh Jenna DiNardo (pictured) who barged onto the score sheet for 5 goals last night. I hope it is a very notable season full of first-time-since's for the new look Cavs.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Ginny at #3 don't look so incredulous the mo'nin' after--do it?

OuttaNowhereWregget

Interesting how another prominent member among us had the Cavs at #3, but only your Humble Narrator got called on the placement...

hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:38 am Interesting how another prominent member among us had the Cavs at #3, but only your Humble Narrator got called on the placement...

I did have them at #3 because I ranked on results and that's where they deserve to be until someone beats them again.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”