OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Bud Collins quote about manure and writing/broadcasting

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

From Bud Collins' autobiography My Life With The Pros.

"He (referring to his father) maintained ties with organized sports by officiating at high school and college games, and he took me along. But he was away during the week, selling corn pickers and manure spreaders. A sports writer, or broadcaster, with manure spreaders in his background may have an edge."
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

Sorry ass Maryland. All the stories of their decline and loss of blue chip recruits are proving more and more true as each loss accrues. So glad to hear the quiet from Twerp nation. And now Rutgers, who came into College Park at 7-9--whose best win before today was what--Army? Georgetown? Ohio State?

Good to the last drop. AAHHH!!!

OuttaNowhereWregget

Another one for the WinTheDrawWinTheGame parrots...

...if there are indeed any of them left.

Also couldn't help but see the irony in yesterday's result--Meghan Ball, having transferred from Rutgers to Maryland, (presumably to have a go at a national championship) found herself on the losing end against her former teammates.
Dasher

Re: Interesting to note...

Post by Dasher »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:05 am Madison Taylor had offers to play for Michigan, Florida and (fanfare) Syracuse. But she chose Northwestern.

In 35 career games played, Taylor has so far tallied 103 goals, 38 assists, 41 GB’s, 15 CT’s and 98 DC’s.

Imagine that player with those numbers on any of those teams? What a day for a daydream... 🎶

She made the right choice...

0:02 clip
Super talented I will give you that…but she needs to cut down on her flopping.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dasher wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:41 am Super talented I will give you that…but she needs to cut down on her flopping.
Sez you... And let me ask--would you say the same thing if she played for the team you root for?

These are her numbers through 15 games so far this season:

58 goals, 25 assists, 24 for 40 on free position, 12 GB's, 8 CT's, 49 DC's.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:03 am
Dasher wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:41 am Super talented I will give you that…but she needs to cut down on her flopping.
Sez you... And let me ask--would you say the same thing if she played for the team you root for?

She is a great player. But her flopping makes the game harder to watch. Very much like a soccer players. Saying she flops doesn’t mean people don’t recognize use her talent. It’s just that as a viewer of the game, it detracts from both the game itself and her own potential to be a “brand” player. North didn’t flop with regularity . Scane doesn’. Taylor Cummings and Kayla Treanor didn’t.
Madison Taylor shouldn’t either.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:22 am

She is a great player. But her flopping makes the game harder to watch. Very much like a soccer players. Saying she flops doesn’t mean people don’t recognize use her talent. It’s just that as a viewer of the game, it detracts from both the game itself and her own potential to be a “brand” player. North didn’t flop with regularity . Scane doesn’. Taylor Cummings and Kayla Treanor didn’t.
I don't see any pattern of pronounced flopping from her game. And even if I did, it wouldn't make the game harder for me to watch. She's all over the field making plays every single game. The great Megan Whittle was said to flop plenty. It didn't spoil my experience watching her play when she once romped and stomped on the field hockey turf at College Park. The great Meaghan Tyrrell was also known to exaggeratedly flail her golden locks to draw fouls. There was also one Lexi Souder who played for Johns Hopkins who would go down if you looked at her the wrong way. Didn't bother me. They were all talented players and I enjoyed watching them play.

Folks should be directing their displeasure and frustration at the NCAA for not supporting their officials to call the flopping penalties which are in the rule books. I'm not going to go after a player when the NCAA clearly couldn't care less.

Let me ask you--if she played for the team you root for, would you mind?
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:05 am

I don't see any pattern of pronounced flopping from her game. And even if I did, it wouldn't make the game harder for me to watch. She's all over the field making plays every single game. The great Megan Whittle was said to flop plenty. It didn't spoil my experience watching her play when she once romped and stomped on the field hockey turf at College Park. The great Meaghan Tyrrell was also known to exaggeratedly flail her golden locks to draw fouls. There was also one Lexi Souder who played for Johns Hopkins who would go down if you looked at her the wrong way. Didn't bother me. They were all talented players and I enjoyed watching them play.

Folks should be directing their displeasure and frustration at the NCAA for not supporting their officials to call the flopping penalties which are in the rule books. I'm not going to go after a player when the NCAA clearly couldn't care less.

1). Your point about the refs is absolutely correct. If they started giving her cards for simulation, she would stop IMMEDIATELY.
2). If she played for “my” team, I’d root for her AND be annoyed by the flopping. It diminishes her greatness in my opinion. A bit like Bruno Fernandez in the premier league. He’s a sublime player….but his flopping and simulation make him less enjoyable to watch to my eye…
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:11 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:05 am

1). Your point about the refs is absolutely correct. If they started giving her cards for simulation, she would stop IMMEDIATELY.
2). If she played for “my” team, I’d root for her AND be annoyed by the flopping. It diminishes her greatness in my opinion. A bit like Bruno Fernandez in the premier league. He’s a sublime player….but his flopping and simulation make him less enjoyable to watch to my eye…
Exactly; and the Bruno reference is perfect. Great player, and the flopping is beneath him.
OuttaNowhereWregget

The Hard Luck Syracuse Orange

The 15-8 loss to Boston College that Syracuse just suffered, in the way they suffered it, not to mention the way some of the team quit in the end--a team doesn't just come back from that in a few weeks. A team doesn't come back from that after a win or two or three over lesser-thans in the early rounds of the NCAA's. This particular team now knows deep down they can't hang with the biggest and the baddest. There's been something amiss and missing from this team all year. A cohesiveness that never came together somehow. Today that lack was on full display.

After coming out like pedal-to-the-metal gangbusters and running up a 5-1 lead late into the first, they seemed to already be showing signs of running out of gas on offense. Then the Orange defense allowed two goals in the last 2 minutes of the 1st period, the last a backbreaker with :04 left to close out the quarter holding a 5-3 lead. BC figured out how to greatly limit Emma Ward and Olivia Adamson. Adamson's final numbers: 2 goals, 1 GB, 2 Turnovers. Ward's: 2 goals 1 assist. And they were the high scorers for Syracuse.

From then on it was a veritable cakewalk for the Eagles. After Syracuse went full throttle to lead 5-1, BC scored the next 4 goals and 14 of the last 17. It truly was a beatdown, or a meltdown, take your pick--one the Orange won't recover from during The Tournament of '24. Same old story with this team. Somehow there's something missing in the DNA, as it were. They get the players/talent to win it all, but in the end they are unable. One forlorn ACC conference championship trophy sitting on the mantle since 2015. It's hard times living down in Syracuse town these days.
laxer12

Re: The Hard Luck Syracuse Orange

Post by laxer12 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:50 pm The 15-8 loss to Boston College that Syracuse just suffered, in the way they suffered it, not to mention the way some of the team quit in the end--a team doesn't just come back from that in a few weeks. A team doesn't come back from that after a win or two or three over lesser-thans in the early rounds of the NCAA's. This particular team now knows deep down they can't hang with the biggest and the baddest. There's been something amiss and missing from this team all year. A cohesiveness that never came together somehow. Today that lack was on full display.

After coming out like pedal-to-the-metal gangbusters and running up a 5-1 lead late into the first, they seemed to already be showing signs of running out of gas on offense. Then the Orange defense allowed two goals in the last 2 minutes of the 1st period, the last a backbreaker with :04 left to close out the quarter holding a 5-3 lead. BC figured out how to greatly limit Emma Ward and Olivia Adamson. Adamson's final numbers: 2 goals, 1 GB, 2 Turnovers. Ward's: 2 goals 1 assist. And they were the high scorers for Syracuse.

From then on it was a veritable cakewalk for the Eagles. After Syracuse went full throttle to lead 5-1, BC scored the next 4 goals and 14 of the last 17. It truly was a beatdown, or a meltdown, take your pick--one the Orange won't recover from during The Tournament of '24. Same old story with this team. Somehow there's something missing in the DNA, as it were. They get the players/talent to win it all, but in the end they are unable. One forlorn ACC conference championship trophy sitting on the mantle since 2015. It's hard times living down in Syracuse town these days.
I for one cannot WAIT for Boston College to not win the national championship once again. What a good time that will be. What are they? 1 for 6 in national championship games? "Must be something missing in their DNA." And what about all those years BC beat UNC in the regular season, only to fall to UNC when it mattered most in the postseason? Man, they must just really suck, huh?

You don't know jack s*it about what it takes to win at this level and yet you're so quick to condemn and write-off any team that for one, you think is underperforming, and two (the big one), you don't like and therefore you think it's A-ok to bash them as hard as you can and not expect any backlash from it.

Your insane level of hatred for Syracuse is comical at this point. You state that Cuse "can't hang with the biggest and baddest" and yet, 10 days ago, they were one missed overtime shot away from beating your beloved Eagles. Teams have bad days and good days as has been quite obvious with the parity this season. You just chose to ignore all of that so you can pat yourself on the back as you type your narcissism-personified posts that were created just to antagonize and offend others. "Hard times" indeed for someone as insufferable as you are.
OuttaNowhereWregget

The Play the BC/Syracuse Game Turned on...

The game turned on its axis on this single play. Syracuse had the ball and a 5-2 lead. They were hoping to get one final goal before the end of the first quarter and Emma Tyrrell got a great look at potential goal number 6, but BC goalie Shea Dolce made a fantastic save (I'd love for Larry to weigh in on the goaltender's mechanics on this one particular stop) setting the stage for the transition fast break and score with 4 seconds left in the 1st quarter. One can even spy a Syracuse defender mouthing a bad word in response. She knew how much giving up that goal hurt the (apparently fragile in hindsight) Orange momentum. It was all downhill for Syracuse from there.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: The Hard Luck Syracuse Orange

laxer12 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:37 am I for one cannot WAIT for Boston College to not win the national championship once again. What a good time that will be.
I'm rooting for Northwestern this year so it don't make no nevermind to me. I was privileged to go along for the Boston College National Championship ride in '21 so I'm satisfied. Whatever the Eagles do from here on in--whether triumph or failure--won't tarnish that one glorious season when Charlotte North ran roughshod over the rest of the NCAA, and the Eagles finally claimed Excalibur. But I can identify with you. I loved seeing BC knock off the #1 Tar Heels in '21, and then Syracuse in the final. I always get great satisfaction when Maryland gets bounced, along with North Carolina, Loyola, et al.
laxer12 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:37 am What are they? 1 for 6 in national championship games? "Must be something missing in their DNA."
I agree--not a great winning percentage. But on the other hand--at least they're getting there. How many times has your team been there in the last 6 years? How many times have they made it in their entire history? Plus BC will always have that One Rare and Coveted National Championship Trophy that so many other great programs have longed for but never attained.
laxer12 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:37 am And what about all those years BC beat UNC in the regular season, only to fall to UNC when it mattered most in the postseason? Man, they must just really suck, huh?
Actually, of the 30 times they've matched up since the two teams began playing each other in 1997, BC has only defeated North Carolina 5 times during the regular season. Of those 5 regular season wins, they went on to lose to them in the postseason three times: once in 2008 in the conference tournament, once in 2018 in the ACC championship game, and again in 2019 in the ACC championship game. However--2019 was different in that BC got revenge later that same postseason in the NCAA semifinal game when they knocked the Heels out of the Tournament. So now that you know the facts, you don't still think two and a half times equals "all those years"--do you?
laxer12 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:37 am You don't know jack s*it about what it takes to win at this level and yet you're so quick to condemn and write-off any team that for one, you think is underperforming, and two (the big one), you don't like and therefore you think it's A-ok to bash them as hard as you can and not expect any backlash from it.
Yes and no...but so what? Just my opinions--no more no less. I'm puzzled as to why you (and others) assign my opinions so much significance, which you (and others) demonstrate so obviously and frequently whenever you (try to, anyway) take me to task. Yiz should really all take Justalaxdad's advice and ignore me. Wouldn't detract from my experience here one whit and just think how much better you'll all feel.

Ain't nobody forcing you to read what I write--is there?

As for the backlash--I don't mind it. When I'm proven wrong--I'll admit it. When I'm dug in on a take, as it were, I'll offer counter points. Most of the backlash I get on these here benighted boards is ill-informed and fueled by petty jealousy anyway so, it's kind of hard to take seriously. Your post here is a pristine example in every way.
laxer12 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:37 am Your insane level of hatred for Syracuse is comical at this point.
Hatred is too strong--but oh yes, I do love, love, LOVE watching Syracuse lose, for the most part. Sometimes I'll root for them when it suits me, like I typically do against Maryland or Loyola, or the way I did against Notre Dame earlier this season. But so what--that's sports from a fan's perspective. It's hypocritical for you (and others) to call me out because of who I choose to root against, and yet Seacoaster slides right on by free and easy when he expresses his distaste for Northwestern and members of the coaching staff on a fairly regular basis. Not complaining about him, though--I love when ol' Sea expresses his schadenfreude toward the Wildcats. You all know how well he writes, and his dry sense of humor is always enjoyable at this address. He has his reasons for rooting against NU and relishing their losses, as I do for the teams I root against. He does it with panache and polish where my style is more Boston accent crass, if I can say it like that. Apart from that, there's no difference.
laxer12 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:37 am You state that Cuse "can't hang with the biggest and baddest" and yet, 10 days ago, they were one missed overtime shot away from beating your beloved Eagles.
Yup, yup, yup--woulda, coulda, shoulda.
laxer12 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:37 am Teams have bad days and good days as has been quite obvious with the parity this season. You just chose to ignore all of that so you can pat yourself on the back as you type your narcissism-personified posts that were created just to antagonize and offend others. "Hard times" indeed for someone as insufferable as you are.
So you know what my ulterior motives are? Oh my goodness, don't make me laugh. You're not even aware of your own, let alone mine.

Insufferable. I don't doubt you and others find me thus--which brings us round yet again to the question: Why do you continue to read (and worse, respond to) what I write?

In any event--nice clearing up/rebutting these ill-conceived, poorly researched notions of yours.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Regarding Yesterday's Pettifogging Drivel

As to all the ignorant, sloppy conjecture and twisted, false charges levied by a spiteful and jealous few posters against Your Faithful and Humble Narrator, (all of which have been addressed by me previously) I'll generously offer one word in response:

0:04 clip
OuttaNowhereWregget

Now I can see why...

There was a poster, definitely a Syracuse fan, maybe more than one, but one for sure, who would mercilessly rip Savannah Sweitzer on a regular basis during Syracuse games. I can see why from this play, which resulted in BC scoring the go ahead goal on a fast break. Brutal turnover to make, most especially in a championship.

I like her game, though. When she's on, she plays with fire, and (to borrow from Gunnery Sergeant Hartman,) She's "got guts and guts is enough." When she's off though, like on this play, I'm sure it's frustrating to watch for Orange fans.

I saw a great tweet from a Syracuse fan after the game Sunday.

"If you are a Cuse fan you should be entitled to compensation for emotional damage. Don’t have an explanation for that second half. Masterclass by Acacia and Jen."
OuttaNowhereWregget

I doff my cap to the results of the poll

I gave up caring about whether I was liked or not on these boards a long time ago. I think the whole long ride is coming to an end anyway. I don't feel the same inspiration for writing about the sport as I once did. My muse is withdrawing little by little. It's not the first time it's happened with me. I used to be a huge fan of the WTA. Little by little the inspiration to write about and tweet about it waned and finally dried up. Next was women's college basketball which followed the same pattern. Along with those sports, NBA, MLB, NHL and finally the NFL after the demise of Bill Belicheat and the New England Cheatriots. Now women's lacrosse is traveling down the same road. It feels like a relief, truth be told

I've been along for the ride with the two teams I most wanted to see win a national championship--Boston College in '21 and Northwestern in '23. I saw the decline of Maryland which has been very satisfying. I saw Sam Apuzzo, Charlotte North (twice!) and Izzy Scane win the Tewaaraton. Everything I ever really hoped to see since I started following the sport back in 2014 has come to pass. Now, I'm just trying to grind it out till the end of the season.

Sure, I hope the Wildcats win their 9th and I hope Izzy wins another Tewwy but it won't kill me if neither happens. As Maddy T said at the pre-game presser, "It's just a game at the end of the day." So simple and so true.

At the end of this season a whole host of my favorite players will move on into the workforce, some conferences will realign, who knows what kind of new verkakte rules will be put in place. This season has more and more had a feeling of finality to it for me since February. It won't bother me none, though. Life goes on.

So hold on a little longer, fanlax lads and lasses--shouldn't orta be too much longer now.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I doff my cap to the results of the poll--post scriptum

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:46 pm Image

I gave up caring about whether I was liked or not on these boards a long time ago. I think the whole long ride is coming to an end anyway. I don't feel the same inspiration for writing about the sport as I once did. My muse is withdrawing little by little. It's not the first time it's happened with me. I used to be a huge fan of the WTA. Little by little the inspiration to write about and tweet about it waned and finally dried up. Next was women's college basketball which followed the same pattern. Along with those sports, NBA, MLB, NHL and finally the NFL after the demise of Bill Belicheat and the New England Cheatriots. Now women's lacrosse is traveling down the same road. It feels like a relief, truth be told

I've been along for the ride with the two teams I most wanted to see win a national championship--Boston College in '21 and Northwestern in '23. I saw the decline of Maryland which has been very satisfying. I saw Sam Apuzzo, Charlotte North (twice!) and Izzy Scane win the Tewaaraton. Everything I ever really hoped to see since I started following the sport back in 2014 has come to pass. Now, I'm just trying to grind it out till the end of the season.

Sure, I hope the Wildcats win their 9th and I hope Izzy wins another Tewwy but it won't kill me if neither happens. As Maddy T said at the pre-game presser, "It's just a game at the end of the day." So simple and so true.

At the end of this season a whole host of my favorite players will move on into the workforce, some conferences will realign, who knows what kind of new verkakte rules will be put in place. This season has more and more had a feeling of finality to it for me since February. It won't bother me none, though. Life goes on.

So hold on a little longer, fanlax lads and lasses--shouldn't orta be too much longer now.
Also... Never thought it was going to end up on my wishlist, but I got to attend a game yesterday at Martin Stadium in Evanston. It's quite a venue to watch a game at with Lake Michigan the backdrop. And I'll be there again tomorrow for the second time to hopefully watch Northwestern get some payback and blow doors on Penn State. That will definitely be the last time I attend a lacrosse game, or any game in any sport in person. Going to a sporting event these days ain't what it used to be. viewtopic.php?p=491506#p491506

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”