OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Tiers 3.11

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Tier 1 — Maryland, Michigan, Northwestern, Virginia

Tier 2 — BC, Denver, Florida, Johns Hopkins, James Madison, Loyola, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Penn, Stony Brook, Syracuse

Tier 3 — Brown, Clemson, Colorado, Fairfield, Harvard, Navy, Penn St, Yale

Tier 4 — Arizona St, Drexel, Holy Cross, Lindenwood, Niagara, Princeton, Richmond, Rutgers, Siena, Stanford, UMass Lowell, UC Davis, USC, Virginia Tech
OuttaNowhereWregget

Green Cards Ain't Bothering Lamonica Ginny's Ride None...

Now that we've had a good few weeks with the new rules, the green cards aren't bothering me as much as I thought they would. I figured the rules would completely kill the ride but the Ginny Cavs did a nice job on the redefend vs the Irish the other day. The four green cards they accrued didn't prevent them from grabbing an impressive road win over an ACC foe. Frosh midfielder Kate Galica (pictured) was whistled off for three greens herself. Didn't prevent her from chipping in an assist, a ground ball, a CT and 5 draw controls though. I was always meh about Myers Ginny. I like this new Lamonica Ginny. Interesting how they've got a Tar Heel presence on staff in Kerrigan Miller and Caylee Waters.

Lot of kvetching about the green cards in certain circles. Eh. Not that big a deal in the grand scheme of my enjoyment of the sport. I don't get the furor.

Seacoaster(1)

Re: Green Cards Ain't Bothering Lamonica Ginny's Ride None...

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:49 am Now that we've had a good few weeks with the new rules, the green cards aren't bothering me as much as I thought they would. I figured the rules would completely kill the ride but the Ginny Cavs did a nice job on the redefend vs the Irish the other day. The four green cards they accrued didn't prevent them from grabbing an impressive road win over an ACC foe. Frosh midfielder Kate Galica (pictured) was whistled off for three greens herself. Didn't prevent her from chipping in an assist, a ground ball, a CT and 5 draw controls though. I was always meh about Myers Ginny. I like this new Lamonica Ginny. Interesting how they've got a Tar Heel presence on staff in Kerrigan Miller and Caylee Waters.

Lot of kvetching about the green cards in certain circles. Eh. Not that big a deal in the grand scheme of my enjoyment of the sport. I don't get the furor.

I think the human condition allows us to get accustomed to -- read, desensitized, I guess -- anything. But the green cards have effectively removed or materially diluted something we all coached the kids to do: re-defend really hard and get the ball back in the 30s if possible. I watched Boston College's "ride" yesterday between the 30s and it was nothing like the days when Apuzzo went hell bent for leather -- German Shepherd on patrol -- at the ball carrier. It just strikes me as sad -- placing a thumb on the scales so that the ball is vastly more easily reaching the 7v7 space.

Green cards late in close games shouldn't end up being determinative of the outcome. Just don't like that.

I can live with it. But the game lost something, and there were less intrusive alternatives.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:05 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:49 am Now that we've had a good few weeks with the new rules, the green cards aren't bothering me as much as I thought they would. I figured the rules would completely kill the ride but the Ginny Cavs did a nice job on the redefend vs the Irish the other day. The four green cards they accrued didn't prevent them from grabbing an impressive road win over an ACC foe. Frosh midfielder Kate Galica (pictured) was whistled off for three greens herself. Didn't prevent her from chipping in an assist, a ground ball, a CT and 5 draw controls though. I was always meh about Myers Ginny. I like this new Lamonica Ginny. Interesting how they've got a Tar Heel presence on staff in Kerrigan Miller and Caylee Waters.

I think the human condition allows us to get accustomed to -- read, desensitized, I guess -- anything. But the green cards have effectively removed or materially diluted something we all coached the kids to do: re-defend really hard and get the ball back in the 30s if possible. I watched Boston College's "ride" yesterday between the 30s and it was nothing like the days when Apuzzo went hell bent for leather -- German Shepherd on patrol -- at the ball carrier. It just strikes me as sad -- placing a thumb on the scales so that the ball is vastly more easily reaching the 7v7 space.

Green cards late in close games shouldn't end up being determinative of the outcome. Just don't like that.

I can live with it. But the game lost something, and there were less intrusive alternatives.
I hear what you're saying and find nothing to disagree with. I remember the days you reference well. One of the things I greatly enjoyed about Apuzzo's game.

Did you happen to see any of the game I mentioned? I didn't watch the whole thing but I think the portion of the game I did see was during the 2nd half through to the end. The Cavs really went after ND between the 30's but seemed to be focusing more on being in position to slow down/block/trap as opposed to swiping to dislodge the ball from the carrier. They seemed to really have a strategy on how to do it without getting too hamstrung with cards. I'm sure it's still up on espn+ if you wanted to give it a peek with your trained eye. As you well know, I'm watching with a fan's eye alone.

And hey--who knows, maybe in the offseason the committee will adopt yet another set of rules that might eliminate or perhaps diminish the effect of this year's rules.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:05 am

Agreed... once the ball gets between the 30s, the ride essentially disappears. It's a shame. Interestingly enough, only 1 green as I remember (left a few minutes early so may have missed a couple) in the JMU/MD game, but those girls rode hard beneath the 30s on the redefend for sure.
OuttaNowhereWregget

spidey44 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 am (left a few minutes early so may have missed a couple)
Had to get a head start on the next day's odds, huh Spi? Hard working man.
MolonLaxe

Re: Tiers 3.11

Post by MolonLaxe »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:00 am Tier 1 — Maryland, Michigan, Northwestern, Virginia

Tier 2 — BC, Denver, Florida, Johns Hopkins, James Madison, Loyola, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Penn, Stony Brook, Syracuse

Tier 4 — Arizona St, Drexel, Holy Cross, Lindenwood, Niagara, Princeton, Richmond, Rutgers, Siena, Stanford, UMass Lowell, UC Davis, USC, Virginia Tech
I'm not sold on Michigan being Tier 1 just yet, but no worries--it all comes out in the wash. Decent list, but man, you definitely fly to some extremes from week to week. :lol:
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:39 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:00 am Tier 1 — Maryland, Michigan, Northwestern, Virginia

I'm not sold on Michigan being Tier 1 just yet, but no worries--it all comes out in the wash. Decent list, but man, you definitely fly to some extremes from week to week. :lol:
+1 in the not quite buying into the Blue and Maize just yet crowd...
OuttaNowhereWregget

That I do--but I always have a specific rationale for each extreme. Been a wild ride so far.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Game of the Week

Far and away.... Notre Dame at Boston College, Saturday at noon.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

Love seeing a player take it all the way like this.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4dYTtsL ... NuNm8yNg==
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:02 pm Love seeing a player take it all the way like this.

Nice goal there! Might as well go to cage if they aren't going to cover you.

Downsides? Defender turned herself into a traffic cone. Both teams look a little slow compared to the top teams out there, or is that just me?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:58 am

That I do--but I always have a specific rationale for each extreme. Been a wild ride so far.
Think there is a pretty big range in Tier 4. USC/Princeton in different space than Niagra or Lindenwood
OuttaNowhereWregget

MolonLaxe wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:54 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:02 pm Love seeing a player take it all the way like this.

Nice goal there! Might as well go to cage if they aren't going to cover you.

Downsides? Defender turned herself into a traffic cone. Both teams look a little slow compared to the top teams out there, or is that just me?
Could very well be. I don't have a trained eye to see the finer points. Mayhap someone who does will weigh in...
OuttaNowhereWregget

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:00 pm

Think there is a pretty big range in Tier 4. USC/Princeton in different space than Niagra or Lindenwood
Good point. I was considering a Tier 5...
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:02 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:00 pm

Good point. I was considering a Tier 5...
Didn't Princeton beat PSU? Both Princeton and USC are better than PSU so if PSU is in 4 they should be as well. Stanford is being completely overlooked. They have 2 one goal losses to UVA and Yale in games they should have won. People are saying the Pac-12 is a battle between USC and Colorado and I still say Stanford will win the last Pac-12 title.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:15 pm

Didn't Princeton beat PSU? Both Princeton and USC are better than PSU so if PSU is in 4 they should be as well. Stanford is being completely overlooked. They have 2 one goal losses to UVA and Yale in games they should have won. People are saying the Pac-12 is a battle between USC and Colorado and I still say Stanford will win the last Pac-12 title.
Sometimes I place teams based on what they've done lately. Ofttimes I miss things. Ofttimes I dismiss previous results for more recent results. No exact science.

I would love to see you make polls and tiers, hmmm. And I say that without an ounce of sarcasm. You have proven to be knowledgeable, well-read and well-informed about this sport in so many different areas, I would enjoy seeing how you ranked the Top 10, Top 20, and which Tiers you would place the teams in. In much the same way Doc used to do the reverse jinx thing in ranking a certain team, I can see why that would give you pause about similarly ranking the top teams.

In any event--you make good points regarding my placement and estimation of teams within the tiers, per usual.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

My mostly uninformed Top 20(totally subject to change at any moment):
1. Northwestern - While they haven't played all that well so far, they still have the best team and I have no doubt come NCAA time they'll be the team to beat
2. Maryland - They have better wins than BC does. Simple as that.
3. UVA - They also have better wins than BC does. Now I think BC is a better team than UVA, but rankings are supposed to be based on season to date, not potential. They are also #1 in RPI
4. BC - Yeah, you can only play who is on your schedule as Larry says, but AWW makes the schedule and until they beat a team that's even close to a top 20 team I can't put them in top 3. There's a reason their current RPI is 28th
5. Loyola - Undefeated with wins over Hop and Florida who are both top 10 in RPI. Again, this is based on right now. Loyola only has 2 tough matchups left on their schedule, 3 if you want to count Navy(I don't), so they won't end up this high.
6. JMU - They beat UNC and lost to MD. Nothing else to really judge them on with the rest of the teams they've played. Eye test says their defense isn't what it's been lately but offense is still humming
7. UNC - When they're playing well they can beat anyone. When they aren't playing well they can lost to anyone. Story of this season for a lot of teams
8. ND - I just don't trust them. I've seen them play several times and you wouldn't even know it's the same team from game to game. They beat #1 and UNC so they have to be in the top 10
9. Michigan - Really curious to see them play a top offense. Really good win against Denver but Denver doesn't scare anyone on the offensive side of the field.
10. Florida - Big win against MD and beat a scrappy Princeton team today. Only play one more tough game this season so assume they'll hang around this spot all year
11. Penn - They're well coached and have talent at all positions. I'm not sure they're better than the 4 teams below them on these rankings but they beat one of them in a strange game....
12. Hopkins - By RPI, their two losses are to #2 and #3 in games they could have won. We'll see if they can keep things close this weekend in Evanston
13. Denver - Idk. They're not the same team as last year but I thought it was a bit of a mirage last year too. One good win against SB, but it was SBs second game in 3 days with quite a bit of travel in between. Can't really rank them below SB though 2 days after beating them
14. Stony Brook - Ruined their chances for a home NCAA game in the span of 3 days after celebrating like they won something after beating a 3-2(at the time) Syracuse team.
15. Syracuse - Yes, I think they're a top 10 team, but I can't rank them there at 4-3 with only one good win. Kayla has been outcoached in a couple games this year(MD and SB) and with 4 tough games on the schedule(UVA, Cuse, UNC, BC) not sure they're going to have the kind of regular season they expected to
16. Yale - Idk about the Ivy but they beat Stanford, who I think is better than most and they beat Princeton. At this point in the rankings you could throw a dart at the dartboard. Couple tough OOC games against Rutgers and BC coming up will tell us more.
17. Stanford - Flying under the radar with an RPI of 9. They could make me look stupid in their next 2 games against Colorado and Denver but they're really talented. Not a fan of the coach but finally getting Jordyn Case healthy after 2 lost years is a boost as is Polisky assuming she can control her temper and cut down on the TOs. No good wins yet, but neither does anyone else down at this part of the rankings
18. Princeton - Going by the eye test, Princeton has talent. They beat Rutgers and PSU which is more than I can say for teams that aren't ranked here. OOC they still have Loyola and MD on schedule so they'll have a chance to make a statement.
19. USC - They're 6-2 but who have they beaten? They don't really have anyone left on their schedule other than Stanford, and I guess Colorado. If they don't win both those games are they even an NCAA tournament team?
20. Clemson - I can't rank them higher than this until they beat a top 20 team at some point. With their weak schedule, unless they beat BC, Cuse or ND I doubt they make the NCAAs even with a 11-5 record in regular season.

In terms of tiers:
Tier 1: Northwestern
Tier 2: MD, UVA, BC, Loyola, JMU, UNC, ND, Michigan, Florida, Penn, Hopkins, Denver, Stony Brook, Syracuse (I truly believe any of these teams can beat the others which has made this season great so far)
Tier 3: Yale, Stanford, Princeton, USC, Clemson, Navy, Harvard, Brown, Duke, Rutgers, PSU, Colorado, Va Tech, Drexel
Tier 4: Everyone else
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

hmmm wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:08 pm My mostly uninformed Top 20(totally subject to change at any moment):
1. Northwestern - While they haven't played all that well so far, they still have the best team and I have no doubt come NCAA time they'll be the team to beat
3. UVA - They also have better wins than BC does. Now I think BC is a better team than UVA, but rankings are supposed to be based on season to date, not potential. They are also #1 in RPI
4. BC - Yeah, you can only play who is on your schedule as Larry says, but AWW makes the schedule and until they beat a team that's even close to a top 20 team I can't put them in top 3. There's a reason their current RPI is 28th
5. Loyola - Undefeated with wins over Hop and Florida who are both top 10 in RPI. Again, this is based on right now. Loyola only has 2 tough matchups left on their schedule, 3 if you want to count Navy(I don't), so they won't end up this high.
6. JMU - They beat UNC and lost to MD. Nothing else to really judge them on with the rest of the teams they've played. Eye test says their defense isn't what it's been lately but offense is still humming
7. UNC - When they're playing well they can beat anyone. When they aren't playing well they can lost to anyone. Story of this season for a lot of teams
8. ND - I just don't trust them. I've seen them play several times and you wouldn't even know it's the same team from game to game. They beat #1 and UNC so they have to be in the top 10
9. Michigan - Really curious to see them play a top offense. Really good win against Denver but Denver doesn't scare anyone on the offensive side of the field.
10. Florida - Big win against MD and beat a scrappy Princeton team today. Only play one more tough game this season so assume they'll hang around this spot all year
11. Penn - They're well coached and have talent at all positions. I'm not sure they're better than the 4 teams below them on these rankings but they beat one of them in a strange game....
12. Hopkins - By RPI, their two losses are to #2 and #3 in games they could have won. We'll see if they can keep things close this weekend in Evanston
13. Denver - Idk. They're not the same team as last year but I thought it was a bit of a mirage last year too. One good win against SB, but it was SBs second game in 3 days with quite a bit of travel in between. Can't really rank them below SB though 2 days after beating them
14. Stony Brook - Ruined their chances for a home NCAA game in the span of 3 days after celebrating like they won something after beating a 3-2(at the time) Syracuse team.
15. Syracuse - Yes, I think they're a top 10 team, but I can't rank them there at 4-3 with only one good win. Kayla has been outcoached in a couple games this year(MD and SB) and with 4 tough games on the schedule(UVA, Cuse, UNC, BC) not sure they're going to have the kind of regular season they expected to
16. Yale - Idk about the Ivy but they beat Stanford, who I think is better than most and they beat Princeton. At this point in the rankings you could throw a dart at the dartboard. Couple tough OOC games against Rutgers and BC coming up will tell us more.
17. Stanford - Flying under the radar with an RPI of 9. They could make me look stupid in their next 2 games against Colorado and Denver but they're really talented. Not a fan of the coach but finally getting Jordyn Case healthy after 2 lost years is a boost as is Polisky assuming she can control her temper and cut down on the TOs. No good wins yet, but neither does anyone else down at this part of the rankings
18. Princeton - Going by the eye test, Princeton has talent. They beat Rutgers and PSU which is more than I can say for teams that aren't ranked here. OOC they still have Loyola and MD on schedule so they'll have a chance to make a statement.
19. USC - They're 6-2 but who have they beaten? They don't really have anyone left on their schedule other than Stanford, and I guess Colorado. If they don't win both those games are they even an NCAA tournament team?
20. Clemson - I can't rank them higher than this until they beat a top 20 team at some point. With their weak schedule, unless they beat BC, Cuse or ND I doubt they make the NCAAs even with a 11-5 record in regular season.

In terms of tiers:
Tier 2: MD, UVA, BC, Loyola, JMU, UNC, ND, Michigan, Florida, Penn, Hopkins, Denver, Stony Brook, Syracuse (I truly believe any of these teams can beat the others which has made this season great so far)
Tier 3: Yale, Stanford, Princeton, USC, Clemson, Navy, Harvard, Brown, Duke, Rutgers, PSU, Colorado, Va Tech, Drexel
Well done 👍🏼
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:08 pm My mostly uninformed Top 20(totally subject to change at any moment):

In terms of tiers:
Outstanding. Worth the wait. I hope you weigh in with both polls and tiers on a more regular basis.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”