OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

hmmm wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:54 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:38 am Interesting how another prominent member among us had the Cavs at #3, but only your Humble Narrator got called on the placement...
I did have them at #3 because I ranked on results and that's where they deserve to be until someone beats them again.
Well said. I thought your rationale was solid.
OuttaNowhereWregget

More speciousness in the ranks...

Interesting how some get dey drawers all in a bunch at "Ginny", yet no one bats an eye at Hoos or Wahoos. Read on, gentle reader...

"Official University of Virginia sports documents explain that Washington and Lee baseball fans first called University of Virginia players "a bunch of rowdy Wahoos," and used the "Wahoowa" yell as a form of derision during the in-state baseball rivalry in the 1890s, presumably after hearing them yell or sing "wa-hoo-wa." The term "Wahoos" spread around the University and was commonly in use by the 1940s. "'Hoos" emerged as an equally commonly accepted nickname on the university Grounds (campus) and in student publications. Although the terms “Cavaliers,” “Wahoos” and “‘Hoos” are used almost interchangeably to refer to University teams and players, “Cavaliers” is more often used by the media, while “Wahoos” and “‘Hoos” are frequently used by Virginia students and fans

The yell was invented as an Indian yell for Dartmouth College by Dartmouth student Daniel Rollins in 1878. Corks & Curls, the University of Virginia annual, regularly printed lists of the yells and colors of the various colleges; in 1888 it included Dartmouth's school yell, a part of which was the phrase "wa-hoo-wa." University of Virginia students soon incorporated the phrase "wa-hoo-wa" into their own, longer school yell, and individual U.Va. fraternities also adopted it and modified it. It was common for such student culture to travel: the University of Illinois also adopted "wa-hoo-wa." Dartmouth students, meanwhile, largely stopped using the Indian yell during the 1980s along with the accompanying Indian mascots, symbols, and nickname."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wahoos

I'm surprised, especially in this day and age, there isn't a campaign underway to rid all UVA publications and language going forward of any trace of "Wahoo" or "Hoo" in the same way the (formerly) Cleveland Indians (now Guardians) major league baseball team got rid of their Indian mascot who was dubbed "Chief Wahoo" years before the team changed their name.

Ginny, indeed...

As Bo Diddley once penned and warbled: "Before you accuse me--take a look at yourself." Quite.

njbill

Post by njbill »

Of course, multiple posters on this board saying a number of times over a year or more that they don’t like the term “Ginny” or are offended by it means nothing, I guess.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Don't waste your keystrokes, njbill.

That's what this was conveying...

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:05 pm See—this is PRECISELY why I don’t interact with you. I knew you'd come back with dick. If an opposing party tried to do this to you on the opposite side of the table in a conference room you’d eviscerate them—but because it’s on a women’s lacrosse fan board you think you can get away with it. No proof that I ever admitted fabricating anything, no nothing—just bullschidt conjecture. Buh-bye, Bill!!

cltlax

Post by cltlax »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:39 pm Of course, multiple posters on this board saying a number of times over a year or more that they don’t like the term “Ginny” or are offended by it means nothing, I guess.
And comparing it to a school nickname that's been in existence for decades (and used widely) is nuts.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Score One for the Defense

I've been meaning to post this since I noticed it way back in February. NU senior defender Kendall Halpern just masterful in drawing/contriving the charge/foul on SU's Adamson. A defender's studied and practiced art. I like that its success fires her up--the stick slam clear evidence. I'm sure it doesn't work every time. The ref might even have called a flop here. But 24 pulled it off to perfection in this instance. The end result? Foul/turnover on Adamson at 13:48 of 1st period. Down the other end, a Northwestern goal--Izzy to Erin--Wildcats 2 Orange 0 12:55.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Score One for the Defense pt 2

Here's another dilly--BC's Hannah Hyatt ('19) taking the charge and drawing the foul vs Syracuse in their 2019 ACC semifinal win. With a lusty cry, Hyatt voices her approval at the ref's call. No contrivance here, however. Hawryschuk does bull charge to earn the whistle and turnover.

Added bonus, the deftliest of deftest caused turnovers does Hyatt make at the end. The just-in-the-nick-of-time groundie scoop also greatly to be admired. A personal favorite defender when she romped and stomped for the Eagles last decade. She hailed from Park City, Utah. (Quick--how many players can you name who come from Utah?)

Seacoaster(1)

Re: Score One for the Defense

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:37 am I've been meaning to post this since I noticed it way back in February. NU senior defender Kendall Halpern just masterful in drawing/contriving the charge/foul on SU's Adamson. A defender's studied and practiced art. I like that its success fires her up--the stick slam clear evidence. I'm sure it doesn't work every time. The ref might even have called a flop here. But 24 pulled it off to perfection in this instance. The end result? Foul/turnover on Adamson at 13:48 of 1st period. Down the other end, a Northwestern goal--Izzy to Erin--Wildcats 2 Orange 0 12:55.

This one looks a lot like a foul to me.
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Score One for the Defense pt 2

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:11 am Here's another dilly--BC's Hannah Hyatt ('19) taking the charge and drawing the foul vs Syracuse in their 2019 ACC semifinal win. With a lusty cry, Hyatt voices her approval at the ref's call. No contrivance here, however. Hawryschuk does bull charge to earn the whistle and turnover.

Added bonus, the deftliest of deftest caused turnovers does Hyatt make at the end. The just-in-the-nick-of-time groundie scoop also greatly to be admired. A personal favorite defender when she romped and stomped for the Eagles last decade. She hailed from Park City, Utah. (Quick--how many players can you name who come from Utah?)

This one looks like a charge to me.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:21 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:37 am I've been meaning to post this since I noticed it way back in February. NU senior defender Kendall Halpern just masterful in drawing/contriving the charge/foul on SU's Adamson. A defender's studied and practiced art. I like that its success fires her up--the stick slam clear evidence. I'm sure it doesn't work every time. The ref might even have called a flop here. But 24 pulled it off to perfection in this instance. The end result? Foul/turnover on Adamson at 13:48 of 1st period. Down the other end, a Northwestern goal--Izzy to Erin--Wildcats 2 Orange 0 12:55.
Seems like Halpern kind of causes the contact herself--lower body. But I may be misinterpreting...
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:43 am
Seems like Halpern kind of causes the contact herself--lower body. But I may be misinterpreting...
I know that these are the toughest calls in the game in some ways. But I just thought she didn't get set in time or in a way that allowed me to call it a charge. Maybe others -- hmmm is likely a good evaluator of this sort of thing -- could chime in.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:44 am
I know that these are the toughest calls in the game in some ways. But I just thought she didn't get set in time or in a way that allowed me to call it a charge. Maybe others -- hmmm is likely a good evaluator of this sort of thing -- could chime in.
That's a close one. I think halpern beat her to the spot. It's a bit different than basketball in that you don't have to be set in wlax to draw a charge you just have to be in front of the offensive player. Halpern did a good job selling it and in that venue NU is going to get that call more times than not.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Olivia just needs to get a few pointers from Goodale on how to flop and still get the call.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

hmmm wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:28 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:44 am
That's a close one. I think halpern beat her to the spot. It's a bit different than basketball in that you don't have to be set in wlax to draw a charge you just have to be in front of the offensive player. Halpern did a good job selling it and in that venue NU is going to get that call more times than not.
Thanks. My anti-NU bias at work again….
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Definitely a foul on Halpern. She initiated the contact, tripped Adamson, and flopped her way into getting a charge call. Of course ONW’s inherent bias of loving Northwestern and hating Syracuse, will have him perceive that incorrect call as “great defense”.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Definitely looks likes like a charge to me, doesn't even really look like a close call.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:41 am Definitely looks likes like a charge to me, doesn't even really look like a close call.
If you were my kid, you'd be grounded for a week, no TV, no beer.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Could live with that, there's always pot and music. :mrgreen:
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cracking up over here. D's got you there, Sea.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:41 am Definitely looks likes like a charge to me, doesn't even really look like a close call.
its a bang-bang play, but definitely a charge from my perspective.

Biggest reason imo for a charge call is that Adamson lowered her shoulder right ahead of contact. That's a point of emphasis this year, if a offensive player changes shoulder upon contact, refs are calling it a charge.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”