Excessive Posts

FanLax wouldn't be FanLax without you. For this reason and more, we value your feedback. Please let us know what you like, what you don't like, and what you would like to see improved.
tothedraw

Re: University of South Florida Bulls

Post by tothedraw »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:41 pm
hmmm wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:33 pm Maybe there should be an ONW Stream of Consciousness thread where he can post all of his musings that people can choose to view if they want.
hmmm, interesting
Please, please, please.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

njbill wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:12 pm Simply put, if you post something provocative, you should expect (and tolerate) a provocative response.
Agreed. When it's, UNC sucks! coupled with, MD sucks! But when the discussion shifts to, You suck!, I think that's when the discussion changes qualitatively.
njbill wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:12 pm ...I really don't get why you defend ONW on a regular basis (and am not asking for your reasons unless you care to share them). You have to understand and appreciate the overwhelming sentiment of the regular posters on this board about ONW and his posts.
People don't like him. That's not lost on me. I defend him (and I'm not alone in doing this) because sometimes the posts look less like passionate opinions and more like bullying. I believe, for many, it's human nature to see a pile on and to join the pile just for the sake of entertainment. And, sometimes, that seems to be the case within this forum. Even if the guy on the bottom of the pile is annoying or otherwise, this phenomena bothers me.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

hmmm wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:33 pm Maybe there should be an ONW Stream of Consciousness thread where he can post all of his musings that people can choose to view if they want.
This isn't a ridiculous idea...
Caddy Day
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:47 pm
Or a body could just designate me a “Foe” and none of my posts will ever show up again. One click of a button and it’s done.

Simply click on my name and it will bring you to my profile page. Then click "Add foe". Easy as can beasy.

hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:53 pm
Or a body could just designate me a “Foe” and none of my posts will ever show up again. One click of a button and it’s done.
As I said in my post, I don't want to ignore you as you do contribute what I consider to be valuable, humorous, etc information from time to time. That shouldn't be the requirement to not be subjected to some of the stuff you choose to post and takeover every thread. If you want to post pictures you find interesting, if you want to comment on a post you posted 11 months ago, if you want to make a list of posts of other user's you like(you already did this and were the only person that posted in it), etc then maybe a dedicated thread for that would be helpful. There may very well be users of this forum that like those posts and would be happy to view your thread. But posting a picture of a girl playing lacrosse with no real context in the season review thread is just posting for posting sake.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Simply click on my name and it will bring you to my profile page. Then click "Add foe". Easy as can beasy.

It wouldn’t solve the problem. You’d still rack up pages of irrelevant and fetishistic blather that everyone would have to navigate around. Maybe you could (read the room and) start your own “ONW Tidbits” thread that the rest of us could visit or avoid as necessary or desirable.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Do you happen to know someone who could make that happen?
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:00 pm

It wouldn’t solve the problem. You’d still rack up pages of irrelevant and fetishistic blather that everyone would have to navigate around. Maybe you could (read the room and) start your own “ONW Tidbits” thread that the rest of us could visit or avoid as necessary or desirable.
Not to mention we're probably getting close to the time for him to create a new user account anyway.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

100% true!

Although, it does make it really obvious how bad the problem is.

Screenshot 2022-06-14 130543.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-14 130543.jpg (89.33 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

This is just a really bad one. But, there are so many threads where there are just huge gaps caused by someone flooding a thread and in essence just talking to themselves.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:46 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:12 pm Simply put, if you post something provocative, you should expect (and tolerate) a provocative response.
Agreed. When it's, UNC sucks! coupled with, MD sucks! But when the discussion shifts to, You suck!, I think that's when the discussion changes qualitatively.

OK, but that isn't what happened this morning, and it isn't what happens a lot of the time.
njbill wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:12 pm ...I really don't get why you defend ONW on a regular basis (and am not asking for your reasons unless you care to share them). You have to understand and appreciate the overwhelming sentiment of the regular posters on this board about ONW and his posts.
People don't like him. That's not lost on me. I defend him (and I'm not alone in doing this) because sometimes the posts look less like passionate opinions and more like bullying. I believe, for many, it's human nature to see a pile on and to join the pile just for the sake of entertainment. And, sometimes, that seems to be the case within this forum. Even if the guy on the bottom of the pile is annoying or otherwise, this phenomena bothers me.

Yes, CO defends him as well, but that's about it.

I wouldn't call pushing back against the bully or the agitator "bullying." If you push back against a bully on the school yard, no one accuses you of being a bully even if the bully ends up at the bottom of the pile.

Yes, there is some piling on for the sake of entertainment. But just using the posts of that nature from yesterday, it was pretty much innocent fun.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. You are, of course, entitled to your position. Just not sure this is the right "underdog" to be going to battle for.

But my fundamental point is that it is wrong for others to be warned or punished simply because a poster who dishes it out can't take it. We should have one set of rules. How about this as an idea? ONW reads the room and stops posting stuff he knows aggravates, annoys, upsets, and/or infuriates his fellow posters. If this is supposed to be a "party," behave appropriately for the party. If he wants to wear a lampshade from time to time, that's OK with me. But it's not OK to monopolize every conversation, eat all the shrimp, and break furniture.
admin
Site Admin

Excessive Posts

Post by admin »

A thread about excessive posting...
Matnum PI

Excessive Posting

Post by Matnum PI »

Some post-ers feel that other post-ers post excessively. While defining "excessively" will be no small task, coming up with solutions to allow the relevant post-er to post to their heart's while minimizing the frustration for the post-ers who feel overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of posts by the relevant post-er should not be too difficult. For example, as suggested by a post-er within the D1 Women's Forum, a thread could be created for post-ers to post and post and post whilst the rest of the threads within a forum will be posted within more sparingly. For example, a post-er will be barred from posting twice in a row. i.e. If the posts aren't a discussion, the post would be defined as excessive. Something like this.
Caddy Day
@inthe8m

Re: Excessive Posts

Post by @inthe8m »

admin wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:16 pm A thread about excessive posting...
Good job on moving a discussion so that very few posters on the wlax board will see it and get a chance to add to the discussion.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

@inthe8m wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:02 pm Do you happen to know someone who could make that happen?
You can. We can. It just needs to make sense.
Caddy Day
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

hmmm wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:03 pm

Not to mention we're probably getting close to the time for him to create a new user account anyway.
I think it has already happened.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

@inthe8m wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:32 pm
admin wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:16 pm A thread about excessive posting...
Good job on moving a discussion so that very few posters on the wlax board will see it and get a chance to add to the discussion.
Could this topic be in the Women's lacrosse board? It would still be "excessive posts" or "ONW Tidbits"...but it isnt buried.
Dr. Tact

Re: Excessive Posting

Post by Dr. Tact »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:26 pm For example, as suggested by a post-er within the D1 Women's Forum, a thread could be created for post-ers to post and post and post whilst the rest of the threads within a forum will be posted within more sparingly. For example, a post-er will be barred from posting twice in a row. i.e. If the posts aren't a discussion, the post would be defined as excessive. Something like this.
I like this, although I think I just posted twice in a row :oops:
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:47 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:26 pm For example, as suggested by a post-er within the D1 Women's Forum, a thread could be created for post-ers to post and post and post whilst the rest of the threads within a forum will be posted within more sparingly. For example, a post-er will be barred from posting twice in a row. i.e. If the posts aren't a discussion, the post would be defined as excessive. Something like this.
But, you were responding to two different posts.

I think the discussion about not posting twice in a row was to avoid inane drivel of a poster who is obviously just talking to themselves - like below.
Screenshot 2022-06-14 130543.jpg (89.33 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

@inthe8m wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:53 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:47 pm
But, you were responding to two different posts.

I think the discussion about not posting twice in a row was to avoid inane drivel of a poster who is obviously just talking to themselves - like below.

I was using sarcastica font :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:42 pm Could this topic be in the Women's lacrosse board? It would still be "excessive posts" or "ONW Tidbits"...but it isnt buried.
Moved. When this thread is played out, I'll most likely move it back to FanLax Feedback Forum.

Return to “FANLAX FEEDBACK”