Towson 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Towson 2023

Post by Matnum PI »

Ryan Schrier injured? Should be getting PT, no?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Matnum PI wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:13 pm Ryan Schrier injured? Should be getting PT, no?
He's injured. I believe he's returning in early March.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Math1234 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:19 pm He's injured. I believe he's returning in early March.
Thank you.
Caddy Day
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Hell of a game today and there are still 2 minutes left. DeMaio with a career high 9pts (4g, 5a) and Mike Weisshaar with 4 goals and an assist. Chop Gallagher with 3 goals and an assist. Towson 17-5 with 2:00 left. Outstanding defensive effort. Luke Downs had 10 saves and Navy had just 15 shots on goal (at the 1:30 mark).
Last edited by Math1234 on Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Nick DeMaio with now well over 100 career points.
He was sitting, of course, for those incredibly deep Terps teams for whatever reason.

Consistent contributor for the Tigers, now in year three.
One of the top top prep players to come out of the California system, I've got his brother Anthony as the top Cali kid.
harflax

Post by harflax »

Mikey Weisharr is playing like a five star recruit. I was really impressed with the defense and Downs in goal.Constantinedes excellent on faceoffs going against a Navyplayer that had dominated the first two games. Towson totally dominated and looked the athletically superior team.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

One of the best all-around games Towson has played in years. Didn't even realize that the turnover number was that high, which means we probably had several the last few minutes when we went to the bench. Navy put up 16 goals against Hofstra and had two (of their five) today that were kind of fluky with Downs coming out of the goal to try and get a ground ball and he was a bit of position. They had another that appeared to hit Colby Barsz and go in.

I know they still need to fine-tune things but Spagnoli, Barsz, Morin/Smith, Ray Glass, and Petro could be a very good defensive unit and Downs has gotten better since that Hopkins first half. Offensively, we know what Mikey W. is capable of. If they can just find the right matchups with him and Webber dodging from the top or perimeter, they can find guys like Gallagher and Mauer (Schrier when he returns). Villagomez got an assist and took six shots and they had the 2nd midfield getting a goal from Duccomun and Roussel, which doesn't sound like much, but they need to get some production from that unit. Need to keep winning a majority of the face-offs, but I thought the pace was great today until the fourth quarter when we understandably were playing the clock. Great ball movement for the majority of the game.

https://towsontigers.com/news/2024/2/17 ... h-win.aspx

NAVY TOWSON
Shots 38 41
Turnovers 19 18
Caused Turnovers 9 11
Faceoffs Won 12 14
Extra-Man Opps 6 4
Ground Balls 23 34
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

One of the best all-around games Towson has played in years.
Definitely.

---------
Weishaar and Nick DeMaio, both 5 stars

DeMaio was at one point top 20 rated of his freshman class.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Loyola 25% shooting, 11% EMO, 36% faceoffs. Certainly a winnable game Tuesday night. St Joe has better shooters than Loyola. But, Loyola overall has a better support staff- shorts, LSM’s, Staudt the goalie. Last yr tuff loss in OT vs Loyola but Constanides won the majority of faceoffs.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Tough one to put it mildly. Lived through so many of these over the years. The Maryland tournament game was about five years ago. This wasn't as important but it was a stepping stone to get to that next level again. We're not there and I know Staudt played great, but shooting and passing took a step back again. Disappointed that Nads saved his timeouts until calling that timeout with 2.6 seconds left in regulation. Then doesn't call a TO when we first got the ball in overtime. Beyond rough loss but it feels like deja vu.

Also, somebody who is a Towson fan and we have very few left on the board, has to explain to me what was the gameplan on offense in the second half other than put the ball in Webber's stick and let him break people down.
Last edited by Math1234 on Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harflax

Post by harflax »

Brutal loss. The timeout on the defensive end with less than a minute to go caused a turnover. The last possession I would have liked to seen Mikey at X trying to create.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Second year in a row it feels like Towson is the better team and lost. DId some nice things, such as create on turnovers on the ride - which should have created more opportunities to score. But when you shoot that poorly and give the ball away it is hard to win. Was a great opportunity to take the next step, but hopefully they can learn and move forward. Didn't seem like much was going for the Tigers on the last offensive possession, and boom an unlucky bounce and missed GB created a fast break for Loyola - ball game.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Math1234 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:17 pm Tough one to put it mildly. Lived through so many of these over the years. The Maryland tournament game was about five years ago. This wasn't as important but it was a stepping stone to get to that next level again. We're not there and I know Staudt played great, but shooting and passing took a step back again. Disappointed that Nads saved his timeouts until calling that timeout with 2.6 seconds left in regulation. Then doesn't call a TO when we first got the ball in overtime. Beyond rough loss but it feels like deja vu.

Also, somebody who is a Towson fan and we have very few left on the board, has to explain to me what was the gameplan on offense in the second half other than put the ball in Webber's stick and let him break people down.
That TO w 2.6 seconds left was brutal. I thought Towson had an unsettled situation with a 5v4 at least. I would rather that than a TO w/Loyola getting time to talk through its 6v6 with almost no time left. A bad coaching decision in my view.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

If we have learned anything about this Tigers team so far, it is that they can put up goals in bulk against bad to mediocre teams. Another offensive explosion yesterday
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Regardless of anyone's gripes,

Tigers are playing their best lacrosse in years.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:26 am Regardless of anyone's gripes,

Tigers are playing their best lacrosse in years.
Agree, not at the level of the 2019 team. But the years following that team were rough, and this team is beating teams that they should (besides loyola) - by a lot. Unfortunately catching UVA at a tough time next week, but the CAA should be very interesting. It is still Delaware's league until proven otherwise.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

I’d say team efficiency in every category is up 50% plus. BTW: Pete LaSalla Va Fogo graduated. They brought in a Navy transfer who did not play vs Hopkins this weekend . And, a big reason why Hopkins won the game vs Va . Luke Downs ( goalie ) statistically has been v good in the goal. It’s early but a nice pivot in the right direction.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Fun game here at Towson. Stunning goal to end the first.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Well it was a good game today, until it wasn't. Looked like the Tigers wanted to match UVA's quick pace and it ultimately led to things getting out of hand. The first half was encouraging for sure, hopefully playing these elite elite teams will pay dividends in late april/may. Offensively, Mikey needs some more help on his midfield line but he is a stud. Downs was solid too, but the defense got caught ball watching on a handful of UVA's goals. Onto CAA play

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”