Rutgers 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Rutgers 2024

Post by OCanada »

1766 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:15 pm
OCanada wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:26 am
1766 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:53 pm Most of the MLS stadiums are between 20K-25K capacity. I am not sure they are big enough to host a FF, at least not in an established lacrosse state from the mid Atlantic up.

Rutgers is situated geographically very well and has a perfectly sized stadium and open areas for tailgating. It would be great for the sport to get back to university campuses.

I would throw Delaware in there too, although their tailgating options aren't nearly as vast.
They moved off campus bcs the schools were not an ious to host the tourney and many stadiums were mot big enough. Having done that they then put it out to bid driving up prices and pricing out affordability for many fan families.

When Rutgers first hosted the games were played in a FB stadium surrounded by an 8? lane track venue far from the playing field. Main access was a two lane road that was clogged.
That's true but that was in the 70's/80's. There is no track (hasn't been since the 90's) and the stadium seats 55K which is a great number for a FF that is two hours or less from Maryland/NY. There is also a recruiting lounge and large VIP box that runs the length of the sidelines for bigger spenders. There are plans to add more seating and more boxes but it's would be great as is for a lacrosse FF. The location is perfect and ample room for tailgating. There are three access points and River Road was expanded. It would also be less expensive than NFL stadiums obviously.

Maryland and Delaware are other decent options but neither one have the tailgating areas that Rutgers would offer.
Thx for the update. Maryland mo loner wanted to host and no other college expressed interest. The venue sounds solid. Is Rutgers interested in hosting. For years folks have volunteered sites that had no interest. Why would it be cheaper. The NCAA will presumably put it out to bid. So the higher bid will likely win. Under current strictures there is little if any money left for the sponsor unless there has been a changein the last few years. Most of the time Corrigan Sports gets a contract to run the show. Pls don’t assume I am anything other than agnostic on site. I would be happy whereever it is. But it is not as simple as it might appear.

Post by 1766 »

This article gives some insight into Rutgers hosting.

"Rutgers Should Host Championship Weekend
Rutgers joined the Big Ten in 2015, and it’s clear that nothing has (or could have) influenced the athletic department more. In fact, the URL of the website that lays out the department’s plans for its facilities development with an eye toward competing with its conference foes is “www.rutgersbigtenbuild.com.” Given that it’s the second image on the site, the Rodkin Academic Success Center is clearly (at least to this point) the cornerstone of that plan, and it’s telling that — while it’s home to a good percentage of the department staff — the only locker rooms and coaches offices in the building belong to men’s and women’s lacrosse and men's and women’s soccer. It is smack between SHI Stadium and Yurcak Field (where the soccer teams play and where men’s lacrosse hosted Harvard in the first round of the 2021 NCAA Tournament), adjacent to the expansive grass soccer practice fields and, on the other side of SHI is the football and lacrosse practice fields.

More than that, though, my overriding takeaway from the visit was “Rutgers needs to host NCAA Championship Weekend again.” Of course, the topic was top-of-mind given the news that Gillette Stadium will not be able to host the event in 2026, as it’d been previously awarded, due to a conflict with hosting the FIFA World Cup. That rules out Lincoln Financial Field, as well, which — along with Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Conn. — will have been the only host sites between 2015 and 2025. Even Metlife Stadium, which has never hosted but is frequently proposed by fans would seem to be a viable option (aside from its sponsorship conflicts, which may be a deal-breaker) isn’t a consideration because it’s hosting the World Cup, as well.

Rutgers hosted the men’s Final Four eight times between 1974 and 2002, including the two final instances the event was hosted on a college campus prior to moving into NFL stadiums when the Baltimore Ravens first hosted it in 2003. SHI Stadium seats 53,454 and the Scarlet Knights averaged the fifth-highest attendance in DI last spring.

What struck me was how conveniently located it is and, while it’s surrounded more by two-line highways than by four-lane interstates, the numerous points of egress should make for a fairly decent experience. Turning onto campus from River Rd. onto Sutphen Rd., the stadium emerged on the right as we went up a hill and the fields of ample parking spread out to the left. Again, my very first thought as “Rutgers needs to host NCAA Championship Weekend again.”

“I love the idea and I would love for that to happen,” Brecht says. “We’ve hosted before, I think it's gone well for for everyone involved — the spectators, the teams participating and the lacrosse community in general. So that's something that we've talked about administratively here. I know they went away to the pro stadiums as of last two decades, but hopefully there's a push to go back to college campuses and, where we're located centrally in New Jersey and up and down the East Coast, we’d love to have that opportunity again.”

Brecht said he’d spoken to his sport administrator about bidding to host in 2026 but wasn’t sure of where the process sat with the NCAA.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -new/62232

I can tell you the administration would love to host again, and so would Coach Brecht. He's extremely inclusive with how he operates so I'm not surprised to see this as his position. I have no idea if Delaware or Maryland would like to host but they would be great options too if so.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

New 2025 Commit…
https://imlca.sportsrecruits.com/athlete/joe_norton4

Plays for LI express. Did some digging and pretty sure he’s the son of this guy: https://www.thelaxmag.com/home/joe-nort ... name-brand

He looks pretty good. Hopefully his Canadian teammates won’t mind
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Potential to move up “the charts” -
the 2025 goalie commit.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... eams/62261
Lax1887

Post by Lax1887 »

Rutgers 2024 schedule (without dates or times) cut and pasted from a Coach Brecht email -"We will host Lehigh the first weekend in February. Followed by Stony Brook, Army, Loyola, Hofstra, Detroit Mercy, Princeton, UMass, OSU, Hopkins, Michigan, Maryland, and PSU will be our Alumni Appreciation Day the weekend of April 20th."

Post by 1766 »

Another tough schedule for the Knights. Jumping right into it with Lehigh.

https://scarletknights.com/news/2023/12 ... edule.aspx
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

quoting a user from another forum about the scrimmage today vs BU:

“It’s a scrimmage so not always a lot to take away other than we are just bigger faster stronger. B1G teams just look different than some of these other leagues. Our D was manhandling them. They had a very hard d time winning one on one match ups.

They are playing a fifth Q. We were clearing the bench into the 4th. Think it was 16-9 after 4.

Not sure how good BUs fogos are but we did well there.”
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Rutgers will surprise people this year with Kelly and Krummenacher? on attack helping to free up Scott. Stoller, the goalie is very good and the defense will be a major surprise. The "Nascar" style of play is back as they have added some pretty good athletes to the SSDM group. If Rutgers can get their share of faceoff wins, there may be Pandemonium in Piscataway for 2024.

Post by 1766 »

Speaking of, Stoller was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week after the victory over Lehigh.

https://scarletknights.com/news/2024/2/ ... -week.aspx

Post by 1766 »

N/P

Post by 1766 »

Highlights from Stony Brook. Side note about them, they are going to make some noise in their conference.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/kc04XxgZTWw
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Highlights from the Army game. Side note about them, they are a step up in weight class from Lehigh and Stony Brook:

https://youtu.be/xcBjLrBmt-E?si=mYhpr07um1D9d1cI
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Yea, and unless Rutgers can find some to beat a ssdm they will get a steady diet of double poling the middies for the foreseeable me future. S well as Rutgers defense not playing well. Looks like another lost season for the scarlet knights
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

BigTom5 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:40 pm Highlights from the Army game. Side note about them, they are a step up in weight class from Lehigh and Stony Brook:

They were ranked #7 before the game and deservedly so. People seem have a problem accepting this is not a #13-#17 ranked Army team
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Asgot wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:53 pm Yea, and unless Rutgers can find some to beat a ssdm they will get a steady diet of double poling the middies for the foreseeable me future. S well as Rutgers defense not playing well. Looks like another lost season for the scarlet knights

The Rizzotti injury really hurt the close D
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

mdk01 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:00 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:40 pm Highlights from the Army game. Side note about them, they are a step up in weight class from Lehigh and Stony Brook:

They were ranked #7 before the game and deservedly so. People seem have a problem accepting this is not a #13-#17 ranked Army team
Maybe Army's best team in awhile, but that was a blow out loss for Rutgers. Will they now move out of the Top 20?
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

mdk01 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:02 pm
Asgot wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:53 pm Yea, and unless Rutgers can find some to beat a ssdm they will get a steady diet of double poling the middies for the foreseeable me future. S well as Rutgers defense not playing well. Looks like another lost season for the scarlet knights

Rizzotti will be back. But the ssdm we’re giving up the middle all day. Felt really bad for Stoller
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

blue angels wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:22 pm
mdk01 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:00 pm

Maybe Army's best team in awhile, but that was a blow out loss for Rutgers. Will they now move out of the Top 20?
Down, but I'm not sure out. BU getting taken apart by Bryant make them more likely.
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

saw some of the game , army is very good at controlling mayhem and they really shoot thru good checks- rutgers is very good

Post by 1766 »

Asgot wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:40 pm
mdk01 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:02 pm

Rizzotti will be back.
*Might

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”