Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Navy 2020

Post by houndace1 »

laxxygilmore wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:38 am
laxxygilmore wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:33 am +2^

Insightful interview. Yet another example since his welcomed arrival at USNA in June 2019, of Coach Amplo walking the walk of Navy Lacrosse. Special kudos for the Class of 2020 indeed - well said Coach.
https://navysports.com/news/2020/5/6/ca ... amplo.aspx

Catching Up With Navy Men's Lacrosse Coach Joe Amplo
5/6/2020 3:51:00 PM
Story Links
Host Breanna Sorensen interviews men's lacrosse head coach Joe Amplo on his first year coaching at Navy, the talent he's seen on the team, and how he's been giving back to the community: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUvNm6g ... e=youtu.be

GO NAVY!
Impressive academic accolades indeed for the Coach Amplo led 2020 MLax Mids...
https://navysports.com/news/2020/6/29/p ... lades.aspx
Men's Lacrosse 6/29/2020 5:09:00 PM

Program-Record 26 Men’s Lacrosse Players Earn Academic Accolades
Story Links
PATRIOT LEAGUE MEN'S LACROSSE ACADEMIC HONOR ROLL
CENTER VALLEY, Pa. - The Navy men's lacrosse team placed a program-record 26 players on the 2020 Patriot League Men's Lacrosse Academic Honor Roll the league announced on Monday.

More than 300 players (319) representing the nine programs who sponsor men's lacrosse teams were named to the honor roll, including 44 student-athletes who achieved a 4.00 grade-point average or better. Among those 44 were rising Navy junior short-stick defensive midfielder Ryan Chase (quantitative economics), rising sophomore defenseman Kyle Fairbanks (cyber operations) and rising sophomore midfielder Henry Rentz (cyber operations).

Twenty of Navy's 26 honorees earned their place on the honor roll for the first time, including eight members of the freshman class. Meanwhile, rising seniors Christian Daniel (astrophysics), Nick Franchuk (history, honors program) and Logan Spilker (quantitative economics) were named to the list for a third time and rising juniors Ryan Chase (quantitative economics) and Jimmy Rubino (quantitative economics), along with rising senior John Salcedo (quantitative economics) captured their second academic citation.

Navy's Patriot League Men's Lacrosse Academic Honor Roll Selections
Philip Arnold // Fr // Williston Park, N.Y. // Quantitative Economics, 3.78
Ben Balser // Fr // Brooklyn, N.Y. // Political Science, 3.56
Gerard Berzins // Fr // Annapolis, Md. // Cyber Operations, 3.50
Ryan Chase // So // Chatham, N.J. // Quantitative Economics, 4.00
Nick Cole // So // Ashburn, Va. // Quantitative Economics, 3.33
Christian Daniel // Jr // Owings, Md. // Astrophysics, 3.31
Kyle Fairbanks, Fr // Potomac, Md. // Cyber Operations, 4.00
James Flannery // Fr // Garrett Park, Md. // Operations Research, 3.22
Nick Franchuk // Jr // Southport, Conn. // History (Honors), 3.82
Zack Genereaux // So // Collierville, Tenn. // Quantitative Economics, 3.83
Grayson Hassell // So // Plano, Texas // Quantitative Economics, 3.47
Shaun Herock Jr. // Jr // Cumming, Ga. // Mathematics with Economics, 3.20
Jack Hogan // Sr // Auburn, N.Y. // Political Science, 3.33
Jacob Jarosz // So // Gambrills, Md. // Quantitative Economics, 3.75
Chris Kalafut // Jr // Kennesaw, Ga. // Quantitative Economics, 3.44
Ryan Kern // Sr // Middletown, Del. // Political Science, 3.73
Joel Mandish // So // Davidsonville, Md. // Political Science, 3.47
Joe Miller // So // Wading River, N.Y. // Quantitative Economics, 3.33
Henry Rentz // Fr // Edgewater, Md. // Cyber Operations, 4.00
Jimmy Rubino // So // Potomac, Md. // Quantitative Economics, 3.72
Pat Ryan // Fr // Groton, Mass. // Computer Science, 3.53
John Salcedo // Jr // Little Silver, N.J. // Quantitative Economics, 3.73
Logan Spilker // Jr // Severna Park, Md. // Quantitative Economics, 3.78
Jack Sweeney // So // Glenelg, Md. // Ocean Engineering, 3.32
Ryan Verducci // So // Alexandria, Va. // Political Science, 3.47
Turner Wine // Fr // Excelsior, Minn. // Operations Research, 3.82

### Go Navy ###
...ditto for the Coach Timchal led 2020 WLax Mids...https://navysports.com/news/2020/6/29/w ... -roll.aspx

GO NAVY!
Speaking of academics, i was wondering if some of you Navy fans and alums could shed some light as to first how to get into a service academy, and then next what classes are like once you arrive there? i assume that you have your regular coursework in the degree they are pursuing, but then also military based courses as well?

Service academies and their lifestyles have always fascinated me
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

To get in you need a nomination and then an appointment. Nominations come from both Congressional and non-Congressional sources (President, VP, MoH winners children, etc). Congressional is your Rep & Senators. It sounds harder than it is in most cases. You just need to start early and keep at it.

I was a recruited athlete and received both a Senatorial and Representative nomination. Interestingly they were from same party and other Senator said I was not qualified. Go figure. Each Congressional member can only have so many midshipmen at the Academy at a time so there ends up being some horse trading. For what it is worth I ended up with a non-Congressional nomination for some reason.

Once you get nominated, Academy then appoints the ones they want based on basically the same metrics as any other school. (Grades, scores, sports, leadership, diversity, etc. ) I was on the USNA Executive Panel for a couple of years and I can attest that they take the composition of the classes very seriously.

You have both professional and major oriented courses. That adds up to a lot of hours.

For sports there is no red shirting or post graduate players. There is the Naval Academy Prep school and the foundation route to enter the Academy. Foundation route is like going to Philip Exeter (probably spelled wrong) for a year then into the Academy and the Foundation basically pays the expenses.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

I see the incoming class arrived at Annapolis this week and the MlL announced today they will play the 2020 season at Navy stadium this July
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Lafayette College has notified a young that its football program will not make the trip to Annapolis for the Sept. 12 contest.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

ACC Is expect to announce they are playing only conference Games for fall sports and that Notre Dame would join them. It’s sounds like the football game with Navy may not happen.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Second-year Navy men's lacrosse head coach Joe Amplo announced today the names of the program's 19-player incoming freshman class, which was ranked as the No. 1 recruiting class in the country by Inside Lacrosse. . :D .

https://navysports.com/news/2020/7/9/na ... -yard.aspx
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

old salt wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:46 pm Second-year Navy men's lacrosse head coach Joe Amplo announced today the names of the program's 19-player incoming freshman class, which was ranked as the No. 1 recruiting class in the country by Inside Lacrosse. . :D .

I guess they are the team to beat now.
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

I guess Sowell/Wellner could recruit after all?
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

HealthyDebate wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:33 am I guess Sowell/Wellner could recruit after all?
I am going to with the Naval Academy is not a hinderance to recruiting rather than single out the past or present administration. As you probably know, the admission process is close to a multiyear endeavor so both coaches had a chance to win/lose recruits.

It is great to see such a highly regarded class of plebes. Refreshing. Now lets see them beat Army, win conference, make the tourny, step into their first class second class year and get commissioned. All kinds of measures of success. But again, BZ on the recruiting.
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

Credit due where credit is due. They are gone and are not coming back.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Lenwood117 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:55 am
old salt wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:46 pm Second-year Navy men's lacrosse head coach Joe Amplo announced today the names of the program's 19-player incoming freshman class, which was ranked as the No. 1 recruiting class in the country by Inside Lacrosse. . :D .

I certainly hope that’s the case,
top 5 type program,
I don’t see why not these days.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:17 pm

top 5 type program,
They would seem to have the chance to replicate the recruiting coop next year. If you are concerned about going somewhere and having the school shut down, or dropping lax or being sent home to distance learn, it would seem an academy is about as safe a bet as you could have. Of course a kid can’t just go there because he wants to but I can absolutely see it as becoming a more attractive option to those weighing such considerations.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

pcowlax wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:25 pm
10stone5 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:17 pm

top 5 type program,
They would seem to have the chance to replicate the recruiting coop next year. If you are concerned about going somewhere and having the school shut down, or dropping lax or being sent home to distance learn, it would seem an academy is about as safe a bet as you could have. Of course a kid can’t just go there because he wants to but I can absolutely see it as becoming a more attractive option to those weighing such considerations.
+1
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

It seems there are a number of players going straight to the USNA and skipping NAPS in this group. Is this more than usual? Maybe it seems like more to me because Arline and Swanson are highly rated. It surprises me that Arline isn't going to NAPS considering he'll be playing football at USNA and I figured football players need that year to beef up. I know he's an incredible talent on the lacrosse field.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

I personally know two navy recruits who ended up at Duke and UNC rather than go to NAPS under the previous coach. Their father is a USNA grad and thought they did not need the extra year. They both played for elite clubs/schools, had plenty of AP hours and excellent board scores.

I have to believe this push back has to play some part in this.
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

My son played for the previous staff. Curious as to who these young men were. Also find it interesting that this thread continues to dismiss ANY positive made by the staffs prior.
A lot to consider- shift in Admissions criteria/support, shift in philosophy? Very easy to throw a bomb or two and blame a staff that will not have the ability to respond.
When we went through the process, it was laid out (via a presentation) in the coaches office and the admissions process and considerations were discussed. With that staff, it seemed that Admissions had a fine line and the decision was NOT in the coaches hands.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The post from Dip&Dunk is a head-scratcher, especially since he and his friend are grads. NAPS does not equal dummy...I'll leave it at that. And when you look over the roster of current and of years past, many of the highest GPA lacrosse players are NAPS grads. One can easily make the case that NAPS is actually an added benefit for the whole student. Going direct certainly helps keep them at Navy, no argument there.

Curious, was one of the Duke guys TL?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:38 am The post from Dip&Dunk is a head-scratcher, especially since he and his friend are grads. NAPS does not equal dummy...I'll leave it at that. And when you look over the roster of current and of years past, many of the highest GPA lacrosse players are NAPS grads. One can easily make the case that NAPS is actually an added benefit for the whole student. Going direct certainly helps keep them at Navy, no argument there.

Curious, was one of the Duke guys TL?
Hopefully he didn’t mean that.
The two NAPS guys I know from my old school were the furthest thing from slow.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

There are basically four reasons to go to NAPS.
1. You cannot get an appointment usually because your Sen/Rep has max'ed out how many they have at USNA. NAPS then becomes basically an automatic if you graduate from there. You can also do Foundation route this way too.
2. You are a fleet sailor. Usually a couple of years removed from the classroom environment. Many times (but not always) they did not do great in high school but have done well on ASVAB and in the fleet so NAPS gets them back up to speed academically.
3. Your coach wants you to go to NAPS to get either bigger/stronger or more academic prepared or both.
4. Miscellaneous. Sometimes foreign students go here to get better in English for a year. Sometimes a student reads the writing on the wall and volunteers for NAPS.

The other father, who I have known for 30 years as we are both retired captains from the same community, flat out did not see the purpose of sending either son to NAPS. It just appeared to him as gap year with little benefit. Nothing against NAPS from either of us (my nephew went there as a soccer recruit). No bomb thrown. If RS wanted to require NAPS so be it.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

In terms of scheduling for 2021, I would think there is a good chance that only the brave will play. The Patriot seems to be following the Ivy in its aversion to risk, hence fall sports being cancelled in both. That could easily bleed into the spring, with the academies rightfully accepted. So assuming the Patriot bails in the spring but Navy (and Army) can indeed play, they will need to replace up to seven Patriot games (still playing Army). Due to Wuhan, these games probably need to be close to Annapolis. So, even with a truncated schedule, expect to see those in close proximity from the 2020 schedule like JHU and UMD as well as those they scrimmaged this season like Delaware and Georgetown. Others locally they can add are in 2021 are UMBC, Towson and The Mount. Philly is close enough, so Nova, Joe’s and Drexel make sense. They may have to go up to West Point, so Rutgers, NJIT, Sienna, Monmouth or Marist can be done if needed. These are all probably too much, since spring 2021 will probably be truncated, but they are possibilities.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”