Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Navy 2019

Post by youthathletics »

I don’t think so. I believe BU will lock in the 3 spot even if there is a loss to Navy this Friday. Which means Navy would travel to BU AND HC would travel to Army. Then if Navy and Army both won, they’d each have to split and play Loyola and Lehigh.

I haven’t run it all out based PL rules and I’m not gonna our over the skis....well, just because.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
SonnySide

Post by SonnySide »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:39 pm
I've had this typed up since Sunday...was waiting for the negative silliness to expire after everyone got back to work and started killing time on this forum.

SonnySIde - very astute observation and my take follows along those lines. Appreciate the conversation staying on topic.

We need an O-coordinator, much like Van Arsdale for Toomey, Kirwin for Tiffany, Brown for TIerney. A trusted adviser to the HC that is given full reign to develop the offense. We have that in Wellner for Defense, it is clear that model works. We lost Reppert and Phipps already and that was likley the result of being under utilized and under valued. I am not saying RS does not have the ability to be that guy....but he has shown via of the model put on the field, that his way is not working. It is time to either allow one of the others on staff, Parks or Camposa to be "that guy", otherwise we will loose them as well.

The challenge would be the willingness to give full control or maybe said a different way, allow full control of the offense. It is clear as day that our offense has faltered and it is not because of the players capabilities being limited, they all know they are stuck on the hamster wheel and internally banging their head against the wall like Homer Simpson, knowing there is a chain of command to follow.
Not sure Camposa would be the guy since he was a goalie and is currently the goalie coach and doing a nice job with Kern. Parks is our volunteer - so we would have to find an established O coordinator out there. Or it would be nice if maybe Coach Sowell has been grooming Parks the last couple years. Who knows.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

laxxygilmore wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:08 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:43 am I still like this one too:

So, who’s having the biggest dumpster fire this year, Navy or Hopkins?
That is a WOMBAT Classics Collection indeed!
This is another one from the WOMBAT Classics Collection...
:D
Thanks for the flashback! I had forgotten that one.

Posting Belichick vids and photos instigated a series of unfortunate events that led me to being banned on LP for two weeks in DEC 2017.

Good thing @thatsmell and I have made peace over it.

I was rather ticked - not much is going on in DEC, why not have fun? LP was like the NFL at times: No Fun League.

Always wanted to quote John Riggins: “Come on, Sandy, baby! You’re too tight!”
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

I am not going to chime in on SonnySide, Youth and a few others. Clearly something is amiss. The definition of insanity is....doing the same thing over and over again. And perhaps that is not just in games, maybe they need to look at practices, off field, weight room (syracuse looked WAY stronger). etc.

Its a 1 game season. Plain and Simple. Need better coaching and better individual play. That is how I see it.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

It's sad to see Navy having two must win games just to get to play a single May game but here we are. The offense has a bunch of guys who don't dodge and win often enough and who aren't high level shooters either. It ends up with good defenses not really having any threats to worry about. On defense Navy really just goes as Kern goes which isn't ever a great plan no matter who the goalie is. Lots of work to do going forward in Annapolis.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

TheBigIguana wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:52 am On defense Navy really just goes as Kern goes which isn't ever a great plan no matter who the goalie is. Lots of work to do going forward in Annapolis.
Interesting comment Iguana. I actually believe you can equally yolk that issue to the Navy Offense, or lack thereof in practices. Fundamentally they are solid, (except for the poor Zone vs Princeton) but when they see a bunch of high motion offense in game situations, they shown signs of disorganization. I honestly do not believe the offense gives them "enough" of those honest looks. I am certain the scout team does a great job preparing them for the expected formations each week, but the speed at which teams are moving the ball and players are moving off ball is likely not something our 1's on D see vs the 1's on O.

For example. Cuse ran a simple pass down pick down to the righty attack, he then scraped off the screen and threw it cross field to the opposite midfielder just inside the box near the alley, who then immediately threw it down to the lefty attack, who immediately threw it to a backside diagonal cut down the gut which came from the spot where the first pick was set. This play did a few things, it forced our D at the pick to decide if the were going to double/switch or stay, then when the ball moved cross-field, we slid up-field to open the inside to meet the new ball carrier, and as the ball made it to the left attack our D worked out towards him, opening up the inside even more.

Now one could argue the backside D did not get in fast enough, agreed. BUT, when the ball moved faster than the D can and Cuse now just occupied 4 or our defenders (2 on the screen, 1 up top and 1 down low) in less than 2-3 seconds you are going to vulnerable somewhere. Cuse changed our hot call at least 2-3 times in those 203 seconds. It happens, I get it and I am not saying we stop that every time. What I am arguing is that our D never sees stuff like this, expect on game days.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

SonnySide wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:04 pm Sorry to rehash the topic from the previous page - But I am an alum that had the opportunity to play for both Coach Reppert and Coach Phipps. Does anyone know the real reason both of them decided to leave? Reppert was an alum for crying out loud. I know that both of them would have loved to have been able to stay on the yard if they would have been given the same opportunities they currently have at Maryland and Georgetown. What a shame. It is certainly frustrating to see both of them thrive with their offense, and Navy continue to struggle offensively.

I know a lot of you want to just look at the future - so maybe it is time to try something else, take a little humble pie, and turn the offense over to an assistant? Would Spencer Parks be that guy? These stats are mind boggling (especially when you consider we have a trio of Torain, Wade, and Daniel).

Goals per Game:
Georgetown 14.2 (7th in country)
Maryland 13.2 (15th)
Navy 10.41 (55th)

Assists per Game:
Maryland 8.58 (8th)
Georgetown 8.54 (9th)
Navy 6.64 (33rd)

Turnovers per Game:
Georgetown 13.62 (1st)
Maryland 14.83 (11th)
Navy 18.27 (56th)

EMO %:
Georgetown 41% (14th)
Navy 32% (50th)
Maryland 28% (54th)

Shooting %:
Maryland 34% (4th)
Georgetown 33% (6th)
Navy 27% (52nd)
I've had this typed up since Sunday...was waiting for the negative silliness to expire after everyone got back to work and started killing time on this forum.

SonnySIde - very astute observation and my take follows along those lines. Appreciate the conversation staying on topic.

We need an O-coordinator, much like Van Arsdale for Toomey, Kirwin for Tiffany, Brown for TIerney. A trusted adviser to the HC that is given full reign to develop the offense. We have that in Wellner for Defense, it is clear that model works. We lost Reppert and Phipps already and that was likely the result of being under utilized and under valued. I am not saying RS does not have the ability to be that guy....but he has shown via of the model put on the field, that his way is not working. It is time to either allow one of the others on staff, Parks or Camposa to be "that guy", otherwise we will lose them as well.

The challenge would be the willingness to give full control or maybe said a different way, allow full control of the offense. It is clear as day that our offense has faltered and it is not because of the players capabilities being limited, they all know they are stuck on the hamster wheel and internally banging their head against the wall like Homer Simpson, knowing there is a chain of command to follow.

If Chet would like, he can PM me and I will send in offensive plays and/or send me film to break down. I'll do it for free, I will only ask for free gear and an open tab at the O-Club, and maybe a couple tickets to Football games in the club section. I will then consult w/people smarter than me and we will turn around a report in 36-48 hours. :lol:

EDIT: Corrected spelling
+2 ya & ss … astute observations and recommendations as noted indeed.

The laxbytes predictions do byte as well …
http://laxbytes.com/2019/binmenstats/ncaapb01.php
Rank***Team******Tourn. Sel. Prob.***AQ Prob.***At-Large Prob.

65***Michigan****************0.00************0.00************0.00
66***Monmouth**************0.00************0.00************0.00
67***Navy*****************0.00*********0.00**********0.00
Note: "Bracketology" shows Rank @ 50 w/ AQ Prob. @ 0.4 and At-Large Prob. @ 0.00 https://lacrossereference.com/mens-d1-b ... tclaxpower
68***NJIT*********************0.00************0.00************0.00
69***St. Bonav.***************0.00************0.00************0.00
70***St. John's***************0.00************0.00************0.00
71***Utah*********************0.00************0.00************0.00
72***VMI**********************0.00************0.00*************0.00
73***Wagner*****************0.00************0.00*************0.00
TALE of the TAPE for 4-26-19
CATEGORY******#20 BOSTON U.*********#39 NAVY
(Stats from NCAA.com and Massey as of 4-23-19 for 2019)

W-L*******************10-4/.714**************5-7/.416
W%*********************#14**********************#48
SOS********************#37**********************#24

Scoring O********#18 @ 12.8g/gm*******#54 @ 10.3g/gm
Scoring D********#17 @ 10.0ga/gm******#50 @ 12.0ga/gm
Margin***********#16 @ +2.8g/gm*******#54 @ -1.7g/gm

Man-Up O***********#6 @ .478*************#57 @ .273
Man-Dn D***********#12 @ .725************#70 @ .486

FO******************#23 @ .566************#35 @ .505
GB*****************#6 @ 37.4/gm*********#35 @ 31.5/gm

CT*****************#1 @ 12.0/gm**********#68 @ 6.2/gm
CLRG***************#51 @ .814************#67 @ .786
TO*****************#61 @ 18.9/gm********#51 @ 17.7/gm

Avg. Rank*************#21.8******************#51.0

Mids 9 – Terriers 8 … a must W for the Mids on Friday afternoon at NMCMS...take a byte out of those Terriers!
SonnySide

Post by SonnySide »

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere - but does anyone know what Navy needs to do on Friday to make the Patriot League Tournament?

What is the tiebreaker between Navy, Holy Cross, Bucknell, and Colgate? There is a chance they all finish 3-5 and only 2 teams would go. If we lose, I believe we would be out if Bucknell beats Colgate.

Just curious. Obviously we hope it is a win and we are in. Thanks.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Sonnyside - follow this link and there is the criteria on how this all falls into place.
~Livy
SonnySide

Post by SonnySide »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:48 am Sonnyside - follow this link and there is the criteria on how this all falls into place.
Thank you. So looks to me that the only way Navy will not make the tournament is if both of these results happen:

Navy loses to Boston
Bucknell beats Colgate

Correct?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

SonnySide wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:23 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:48 am Sonnyside - follow this link and there is the criteria on how this all falls into place.
Thank you. So looks to me that the only way Navy will not make the tournament is if both of these results happen:

Navy loses to Boston
Bucknell beats Colgate

Correct?
EDIT 4:24pm: PL Just cleared it up for us all...messy for sure.

Navy (3-4 PL)
* In the event of a three-way tie between Bucknell, Navy and Holy Cross (all at 4-4): the Mids would claim the sixth spot due to the head-to-head over Boston University.
* In the event of a four-way tie between Navy, Holy Cross, Bucknell and Colgate (all at 3-5): Navy would be the No. 5 seed due to the win over Vermont (sport-specific tiebreaker: common non-conference opponent)
* In the event of a three-way tie between Navy, Bucknell and Colgate (all at 3-5): Navy would be the No. 6 seed with wins over Bucknell and Colgate.
Game Remaining: vs. Boston University (4.26)
Defeated: Bucknell, Colgate, Lafayette
Lost to: Army West Point, Holy Cross, Lehigh, Loyola Maryland

Holy Cross (3-4 PL): Can clinch the fifth spot in the tournament with a win over Lehigh, and a Navy loss versus Boston University and a Bucknell loss to Colgate.
* Will be No. 5 seed with a Holy Cross win, a Navy win, a Loyola win and a Colgate win.
* In the event of a four-way tie between Navy, Holy Cross, Bucknell and Colgate (all at 3-5): Holy Cross would be No. 6 due to the loss against Vermont (sport specific tiebreaker: common non-conference opponent)
* In the event of a three-way tie between Bucknell, Navy and Holy Cross (all finish 4-4): the Crusaders would finish seventh and would be out of contention for a tournament berth.
Game Remaining: vs. Lehigh (4.26)
Defeated: Colgate, Lafayette, Navy
Lost to: Army West Point, Boston University, Bucknell, Loyola Maryland

Bucknell (3-4 PL): Bucknell can clinch a postseason berth with a win over Colgate.
* Bucknell can claim the sixth seed with a loss to Colgate if Navy beats Boston U. and Holy Cross loses to Lehigh.
* In the event of a three-way tie between Bucknell, Navy and Holy Cross (all at 4-4): the Bison would claim the No. 5 seed due to the head-to-head over Lehigh
* In the event of a three-way tie between Navy, Bucknell and Colgate (all at 3-5): the Bison would be the No. 8 seed due to the head-to-head versus Navy and not advance to the postseason.
* In the event of a three-way tie between Holy Cross, Bucknell and Colgate (all at 3-5): the Bison would claim the No. 6 seed due to the head-to-head over Lehigh.
* In the event of a four-way tie between Navy, Holy Cross, Bucknell and Colgate (all at 3-5): the Bison would be the No. 7 seed with a Loyola loss and No. 8 with a Lafayette win, and would not advance to the postseason.
Game Remaining: vs. Colgate (4.26)
Defeated: Holy Cross, Lafayette, Lehigh
Lost to: Army West Point, Boston University, Loyola Maryland, Navy
~Livy
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Navy can't miss out if they win which is great but also will be difficult. It's good that they have ways in if they lose but if all the favorites win the other games they'll be gone. Hopefully they can be the upset and not be looking to other teams. Big game for Coach Sowell I think.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

laxxygilmore wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:01 am
SonnySide wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:04 pm Sorry to rehash the topic from the previous page - But I am an alum that had the opportunity to play for both Coach Reppert and Coach Phipps. Does anyone know the real reason both of them decided to leave? Reppert was an alum for crying out loud. I know that both of them would have loved to have been able to stay on the yard if they would have been given the same opportunities they currently have at Maryland and Georgetown. What a shame. It is certainly frustrating to see both of them thrive with their offense, and Navy continue to struggle offensively.

I know a lot of you want to just look at the future - so maybe it is time to try something else, take a little humble pie, and turn the offense over to an assistant? Would Spencer Parks be that guy? These stats are mind boggling (especially when you consider we have a trio of Torain, Wade, and Daniel).

Goals per Game:
Georgetown 14.2 (7th in country)
Maryland 13.2 (15th)
Navy 10.41 (55th)

Assists per Game:
Maryland 8.58 (8th)
Georgetown 8.54 (9th)
Navy 6.64 (33rd)

Turnovers per Game:
Georgetown 13.62 (1st)
Maryland 14.83 (11th)
Navy 18.27 (56th)

EMO %:
Georgetown 41% (14th)
Navy 32% (50th)
Maryland 28% (54th)

Shooting %:
Maryland 34% (4th)
Georgetown 33% (6th)
Navy 27% (52nd)

We need an O-coordinator, much like Van Arsdale for Toomey, Kirwin for Tiffany, Brown for TIerney. A trusted adviser to the HC that is given full reign to develop the offense. We have that in Wellner for Defense, it is clear that model works. We lost Reppert and Phipps already and that was likely the result of being under utilized and under valued. I am not saying RS does not have the ability to be that guy....but he has shown via of the model put on the field, that his way is not working. It is time to either allow one of the others on staff, Parks or Camposa to be "that guy", otherwise we will lose them as well.

If Chet would like, he can PM me and I will send in offensive plays and/or send me film to break down. I'll do it for free, I will only ask for free gear and an open tab at the O-Club, and maybe a couple tickets to Football games in the club section. I will then consult w/people smarter than me and we will turn around a report in 36-48 hours. :lol:

EDIT: Corrected spelling
+2 ya & ss … astute observations and recommendations as noted indeed.

The laxbytes predictions do byte as well …
http://laxbytes.com/2019/binmenstats/ncaapb01.php
Rank***Team******Tourn. Sel. Prob.***AQ Prob.***At-Large Prob.

65***Michigan****************0.00************0.00************0.00
66***Monmouth**************0.00************0.00************0.00
67***Navy*****************0.00*********0.00**********0.00
Note: "Bracketology" shows Rank @ 50 w/ AQ Prob. @ 0.4 and At-Large Prob. @ 0.00 https://lacrossereference.com/mens-d1-b ... tclaxpower
68***NJIT*********************0.00************0.00************0.00
69***St. Bonav.***************0.00************0.00************0.00
70***St. John's***************0.00************0.00************0.00
71***Utah*********************0.00************0.00************0.00
72***VMI**********************0.00************0.00*************0.00
73***Wagner*****************0.00************0.00*************0.00
TALE of the TAPE for 4-26-19
CATEGORY******#20 BOSTON U.*********#39 NAVY
(Stats from NCAA.com and Massey as of 4-23-19 for 2019)

W-L*******************10-4/.714**************5-7/.416
W%*********************#14**********************#48
SOS********************#37**********************#24

Scoring O********#18 @ 12.8g/gm*******#54 @ 10.3g/gm
Scoring D********#17 @ 10.0ga/gm******#50 @ 12.0ga/gm
Margin***********#16 @ +2.8g/gm*******#54 @ -1.7g/gm

Man-Up O***********#6 @ .478*************#57 @ .273
Man-Dn D***********#12 @ .725************#70 @ .486

FO******************#23 @ .566************#35 @ .505
GB*****************#6 @ 37.4/gm*********#35 @ 31.5/gm

CT*****************#1 @ 12.0/gm**********#68 @ 6.2/gm
CLRG***************#51 @ .814************#67 @ .786
TO*****************#61 @ 18.9/gm********#51 @ 17.7/gm

Avg. Rank*************#21.8******************#51.0

Mids 9 – Terriers 8 … a must W for the Mids on Friday afternoon at NMCMS...take a byte out of those Terriers!
From the Navy MLax media site...
https://navysports.com/news/2019/4/24/m ... ?path=mlax
Scouting the Terriers
• Sixth-year Boston U. head coach Ryan Polley has guided the Terriers to a 10-4 record, including a 5-2 mark in the Patriot League this season. The Terriers have been rewarded over the last few weeks, entering the national polls where they stand 16th in both the USILA Coaches Poll, as well as the Inside Lacrosse Media Poll.
• BU is ranked among the nation's top 20 in 10 of the 15 statistical categories, including No. 1 in caused turnovers per game (12.00). Junior long pole Reece Eddy stands 13th nationally, averaging 2.07 takeaways per game, while junior Chase Levesque, the reigning Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week, is 30th and averaging 1.71 caused turnovers per game.
• Defensively, the Terriers are allowing 10.00 goals per game which stands 18th nationally. They have held 7 of their 14 foes to single digits, however, they have given up double figures to each of their last four opponents (have won 3 of the 4).
• Netminder Joe McSorley has turned aside 168 shots for a 54.7 save percentage (#13).
• BU's offense is averaging 12.79 goals per game and features two of the most dynamic attackmen in the country. Sophomore Chris Grays is #3 in the country in points per game (6.71), #4 in assists per game (3.79) and #20 in goals per game (2.93). Meanwhile, senior James Burr is #27 in points per game (4.29) and #7 in goals per game (3.29).
• The man-up squad has been one of the most successful in the country, scoring on 47.8 percent (22 of 46) of its opportunities which is #1 in the Patriot League and #6 nationally.
• Sophomore Sean Christman has taken on the faceoff duties this spring. He has won 171 of the 289 draws (59.2) and is ranked 23rd in the country.
So, given all of the the above for #20 BU, including the fact that the O trio of Gray-Burr-Ley account for 65.3% of BU's goals and 62.2% of BU's points, if Coach Polley unleashes his Terriers to run the way they have vs. their previous opponents this season, and if Coach Sowell is sticking with his game planning / adjustments consistent vs. Navy's "Top 30" opponents this season as well...

Vs. “Top 30” teams so far in 2019 @ 0-6/.000
(Rankings based on Massey)
#3 Maryland (Maryland W @ 14-9)
#23 Princeton (Princeton W @ 19-11)
#7 Loyola (Loyola W @ 18-5)
#25 Lehigh (Lehigh W @ 15-8)
#19 Army (Army W @ 9-8)
#6 Syracuse (Syracuse W @ 18-9)
#20 Boston U. (tbd) :?:

...then this may well have the makings for an ugly result for #39 Navy if those factors remain consistent with being outscored per the above opponents by an average score of 15.5 to 8.3 (or 7.2g/gm) so far in 2019, with #20 BU remaining from that “Top 30” group on the Navy 2019 regular season schedule. Is it possible for the remaining regular season schedule game vs. a “Top 30” team to be a Navy W?...yes, it’s just that this #20 BU Terriers team is far better than all the “Bottom 43” opponents Navy defeated (including #34 Holy Cross who beat Navy 12-9 :shock: ) this season and is indeed a legitimate “Top 30” team having also earned W’s over other “Top 30” teams this season such as #19 Army (15-13) and #7 Loyola (18-11) and that will certainly provide a comprehensive FO/O/D/GK test on Friday afternoon by Coach Polley and his Terriers for Coach Sowell and the Mids.

Mids 9 - Terriers 8...and on to the PLT.
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

GAME DAY!!!
Hope the weather holds off OR maybe I don't, that may push Navy forward with a slick BU offense who relies on ball movement. Sticks will bag out, strings will get wet, balls will fly every where.

It is senior day at NMCMS, these seniors deserve the best effort from every Mid on the field and from the Coaches. No stone un-turned. TRY everything and anything and hopefully push the right buttons of motivation.
old salt

Post by old salt »

https://weather.com/weather/radar/inter ... ayer=radar

Rain starting by 3:45. Fast moving line of thunderstorms moving through E --> W @ 4:00, rain stop by 7:00
...expect delay for thunderstorm if lightning develops.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Heavy rain now. Tornado warning til 9pm. Quarter size hail possible.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Navy Athletics tweet :
The Navy vs. Boston University men's lacrosse game is in a weather delay.
Estimated start time is 6:00 pm. #NavyMLax
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Great game...Kern was a wall.

Congrats Navy
Last edited by tech37 on Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Whew!...Impressive Senior Day W for the Mids...great grit, groundballs, goals! and once again, goalie play...Gk Kern is THE Man.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Wait! What!? Congrats to Navy for hanging in there. Impressive win. Caught BU napping I guess...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”