Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Skipper

Re: Navy 2020

Post by Skipper »

Navy was out coached yesterday, Plan and simple. The Navy coaching staff never adjusted to the problem at the F/O X. They keep running the same midfielders that weren't ready for the big stage. It's time to step up Coach, its Patriot League Play, Shorten the bench, put the players on the field and WIN !

IMO - Coach Amplo should have moved 35 and 3 to the wings early and established physical dominance in the middle of the field.

Sideline behavior of the Navy Defensive Coordinator was embarrassing. How about we coach the kids and regroup.

Clearing was a major issue and basic stick skills between the boxes was embarrassing

From the midfield-
5- had a difficult day
47- fast but looked out of place yesterday
29- only legit threat but he was outplayed physically

From attack-
They carry the team in points, but for some reason we didn't see any attack initiated offense or "special plays"
17/21- One goal (21 man up)and the last minute of the game (17) ?
57- Man-up goals, Sound a specialty player on man up
32/54 - didn't play except for 32 on man-up, Coach Amplo - "we are five deep at attack"

MDD
40/18/10 _ well done gents on defensive end

LSM-
60, 2, 8 - keep working GENTS
they were outstanding but gassed after playing 3/4 of the game on defense

Def
Strong but once again , tons of reps
35- establish dominance early
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Youth,

Yeoman work being done by these folks:

https://lacrossereference.com/game-win- ... tclaxpower

Second and fourth quarters were killers. The 4th obviously because Lehigh ran away with it then. But in the 2nd, there are several stats that jump out: TOP, and shots per possession. Even though Lehigh only scored one to even it up 4-4 at halftime, the wearing down of the D was very evident in the 2nd qtr, leading to the collapse in the 4th.

Lehigh did have 12 more possessions based on their stats - which would equate to around a three goal delta. But there has to be more to it than that to explain the final score.

Look at the time to first shot: Lehigh was 5 to 10 seconds longer, which means they were working and grinding the Navy D for longer periods of time. Doesn’t sound like much, but it adds up over the course of the game.

Go Navy!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:48 am Youth,

Yeoman work being done by these folks:

https://lacrossereference.com/game-win- ... tclaxpower

Second and fourth quarters were killers. The 4th obviously because Lehigh ran away with it then. But in the 2nd, there are several stats that jump out: TOP, and shots per possession. Even though Lehigh only scored one to even it up 4-4 at halftime, the wearing down of the D was very evident in the 2nd qtr, leading to the collapse in the 4th.

Lehigh did have 12 more possessions based on their stats - which would equate to around a three goal delta. But there has to be more to it than that to explain the final score.

Look at the time to first shot: Lehigh was 5 to 10 seconds longer, which means they were working and grinding the Navy D for longer periods of time. Doesn’t sound like much, but it adds up over the course of the game.

Go Navy!
Thanks Wombat....I forgot about that detailed page within that website. Your point about the defense playing so much speaks to the result (playing too much D) of the injury (missing those F/O possession opportunities). I would also not rule out that the conditioning-to-full-recovery after the norovirus, would impact 60 minutes of game play.

I just re-watched the game and stand by my initial post this morning. Even sending in the pole at the X was futile, IF, we simply allow Lehigh to pick up the ball BEFORE we attempt to gain possession. By contrast, during the VMI game, the VMI F/O player was pestering the heck out of the stick of the F/O guy BEFORE anyone scooped up the ball. I also noticed that we often played behind the Lehigh wings once we ran into the scrum. This is a two-fold dagger (i) you do not see the ball as clearly, and (ii) by time you do see it or have an opportunity to pick it up the opponent is already in position or you are chasing them.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Skipper wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:44 am Navy was out coached yesterday, Plan and simple. The Navy coaching staff never adjusted to the problem at the F/O X. They keep running the same midfielders that weren't ready for the big stage. It's time to step up Coach, its Patriot League Play, Shorten the bench, put the players on the field and WIN !

IMO - Coach Amplo should have moved 35 and 3 to the wings early and established physical dominance in the middle of the field.

Sideline behavior of the Navy Defensive Coordinator was embarrassing. How about we coach the kids and regroup.

Clearing was a major issue and basic stick skills between the boxes was embarrassing

From the midfield-

From attack-
They carry the team in points, but for some reason we didn't see any attack initiated offense or "special plays"
Appreciate the post. Not sure what your comment in Bold Means. Did you notice that Lehigh played Zone D most of the game? Our Zone O was yucky. As I watched the game I saw numerous (failed) attempts at missed opportunities while attacking the Lehigh Zone D. I also saw some ill-advised shots by midfielders when attackmen were wide the EFF open.

I also did not see 66 yesterday, a junior midfielder that is an important part of the first midfield.

Explain why you believe the clearing was a major issue? Do you think the coach does not do enough stick work, Navy recruits players that can not pass and catch, or maybe the players did not feel like passing and catching yesterday?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

Skipper wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:44 am IMO - Coach Amplo should have moved 35 and 3 to the wings early and established physical dominance in the middle of the field.
32/54 - didn't play except for 32 on man-up,
Are you proposing that as an option to try when struggling like yesterday, or as the norm ?
I agree that 35 coming off the wing (as a 2nd wing pole) might help in situations like yesterday, but if you do it on every FO, in a high scoring game, you're gonna have a gassed crease defenseman.
I'm not confident that switching 1 wing player would account for yesterday's physical dominance disparity.

On Navy's initial settled possession in Q2 (~ 10:00), 32 entered on MF1 with 29 & 47. They set him up for a shot (@ 9:31), which was an easy save.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Obvious that RS is gone, 14-6 shellacking and nothing on the anemic offense or no halftime adjustments? Promise I won't kick 'em when they're down.

On the bright side, the Mids were 4-for-4 on EMO. Watching the first quarter, Navy shot the ball really well, not sure what changed--better Lehigh goalie play? And, they did seem to generate some good looks early, as the game progressed Navy seemed hesitant and not crisp. Knockoff Colgate on Saturday and then face a withering Hopkins team that has SU this w/e. RS's signature win year 1 was an annihilation of JHU...perhaps Amplo can do the same and get some MO heading into the heart of PL action.
skillzthatkillz

Post by skillzthatkillz »

Does anyone know what was up with Navy Defensive coach......seemed to be calling out Cassese because bench was getting too rowdy and excited on goals. That's the bench's job.

If it was something else, please let me know what was going on
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

oldjayfan wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:02 am On the bright side, the Mids were 4-for-4 on EMO. Watching the first quarter, Navy shot the ball really well, not sure what changed--better Lehigh goalie play? And, they did seem to generate some good looks early, as the game progressed Navy seemed hesitant and not crisp.
Nice to see an EMO % like that....been a long time. On your latter part, you may be on to something......

An interesting observation now that the dust has settled from the past couple/few games, and let me know if I am seeing things that are not there. The freshman midfielders appear to play much looser than their upperclassman counterparts on offense...as if they are still in HS. Is this a hangover effect from the last couple/few seasons for the upperclassman? The midfielders seem to give zero eff's about dodging to shoot, whereas the attack seem to want to manage the game, calm things down, give the D a rest, etc.....just like in years past. It seems the attack are there only to set up the midfielders. Sure 17 and 21 are the points leaders but they play more minutes and are often the ones freelancing AFTER everything has broken down.

I am not criticizing the past coach in any way with this observation, but this is how we have played over the years. Slow it down wait for 6, or 8, or 21 over the past few seasons. Maybe the issue is that the attack do not trust the midfielders to be assist guys and they need to manage the game, otherwise the TO's could be higher?

Just spitballing now.
~Livy
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

What happened to parputt? The account's first post ever was the critical one about the Navy Lacrosse OC. Another brand new poster who I thought was coming out of the wood work to join the party.
Bunch of accusations, including favoritism. It looked like parputt had an unique perspective to offer. Maybe a former player or parent?
Not sure that Coach Amplo would hire someone with such a reputation, but I am sure that parputt can back it all up.

And it's already gone. Anyone save it?
Cold feet or admin move?

Parputt
Last active: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:28 pm
Currently zero posts
Last edited by laxpere on Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Maybe he read the JHU thread and thought no way would he start something like that?
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:30 pm Maybe he read the JHU thread and thought no way would he start something like that?
Yeah, maybe that thread scared them away, but four games in might be a record. I am sure that parputt can back up all of the accusations, right? Former player or parent? Easy to cast aspersions from an anonymous account, but a bit surprised that parputt felt the need to go after the OC this early in the first season.

At least over there, the banter is based on a longer track record and higher expectations that go along with it. Get the popcorn ready if unranked JHU doesn't take down Syracuse though. They're already coming out of the wood work, and it will be quite the show. Can you imagine what it would be like here if Navy Lacrosse hadn't made the coaching changes?
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

laxpere wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:15 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:30 pm Maybe he read the JHU thread and thought no way would he start something like that?
Yeah, maybe that thread scared them away, but four games in might be a record. I am sure that parputt can back up all of the accusations, right? Former player or parent? Easy to cast aspersions from an anonymous account, but a bit surprised that parputt felt the need to go after the OC this early in the first season.

At least over there, the banter is based on a longer track record and higher expectations that go along with it. Get the popcorn ready if unranked JHU doesn't take down Syracuse though. They're already coming out of the wood work, and it will be quite the show. Can you imagine what it would be like here if Navy Lacrosse hadn't made the coaching changes?
Popcorn? Hell, I’d recommend pharmaceuticals.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Coach Amplo gets a three year honeymoon from me. He needs to understand first hand the type of talent he gets, how to work NAPS, the rhythm of Academy life, institute his system and learn USNA recruiting.

I am under no illusions of his challenge. With lacrosse starting to hit the big time, USNA players are no longer the best conditioned and the talent they get greatly varies. They also have very important distractions.

Their yardstick of success lies off field. To be honest, the only measurement I have on field is the star on the letter sweater.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

laxpere wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:33 pm What happened to parputt? The account's first post ever was the critical one about the Navy Lacrosse OC. Another brand new poster who I thought was coming out of the wood work to join the party.
Bunch of accusations, including favoritism. It looked like parputt had an unique perspective to offer. Maybe a former player or parent?
Not sure that Coach Amlpo would hire someone with such a reputation, but I am sure that parputt can back it all up.

And it's already gone. Anyone save it?
Cold feet or admin move?

Parputt
Last active: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:28 pm
IMHO, that deleted comment was a triple bogey. Coach Ross is an outstanding person with solid credentials as an assistant coach at Brown (1 season w/ Tiffany); Bryant (4 seasons w/ Pressler) and Ohio St. (5 seasons w/ Myers), contributing to a 10 seasons sum total W-L record @ 105-66/.614; W seasons @ 7 of 10/.700 and Team O avg. @ 10.7g/gm...w/ 4 NCAAT berths.

2015-2019 w/ Ohio St. W-L @ 51-31/.621; W seasons @ 4 of 5/.800; Team O @ 10.3g/gm...NCAAT 2015 & 2017
2011-2014 w/ Bryant W-L @ 46-29/.613; W seasons @ 2 of 4/.500; Team O @ 10.5g/gm...NCAAT 2013 & 2014
2010 w/ Brown W-L @ 8-6/.571; W seasons @ 1 of 1/1.000; Team O @ 11.4g/gm

https://navysports.com/sports/mens-lacr ... d-ross/678
In 2017, Ross was named the IMLCA’s Assistant Coach of the Year and played a key role in the Buckeyes advancing to the program’s first Final Four and NCAA National Championship game. Ohio State averaged 11.33 goals per game, including a season-high 18 in a win at Michigan Stadium against the Wolverines. On 11 occasions, the Buckeyes scored 12 or more goals and had an offense that generated nearly 34 shots per game and converted 49.2 percent of its man-up chances.

With Ross leading the offense in 2018, the Buckeyes finished the regular season ranked 29th nationally in scoring offense and 21st in shooting percentage. The Buckeyes scored 10 or more goals in nine of 12 games and three players had 30 or more points on the season.

In 2019, the Buckeyes averaged 11.75 goals per game and stood 29th nationally, while their 30.5 shooting percentage was 19th best in the country. Anchoring the offense was Tre Leclaire who was ninth nationally in goals per game (3.09), while Jack Myers was 29th in assists per game (1.82).

In 2015, Ross’ first year at Ohio State, the Buckeyes reached the NCAA Quarterfinals after a win over two-time defending NCAA Champion Duke in the opening round, with Ohio State scoring a season-high 16 goals in the road victory. The Buckeyes averaged 10.0 goals a game on the year and scored nine or more goals in eight of the last nine games. Senior Jesse King had 77 points, the most for a Buckeye since 1979, en route to earning Third-Team All-America honors, while King and Carter Brown were both named First-Team All-Big Ten. The Buckeyes scored 9.4 goals a game in 2016, tallying double digits in six games, including three of the last four.

A three-time All-American and two-time team captain at Duke, Ross spent four years as the associate head coach at Bryant (2011-14) after beginning his coaching career at Brown University in 2009.

Ross was part of the Bryant staff that led the Bulldogs to three consecutive Northeast Conference Tournament titles and back-to-back NCAA appearances. The squad was 16-5 in 2014 and reached the NCAA Quarterfinals with wins over Siena in the play-in game and Syracuse in the first round.
...Coach Amplo made an excellent selection for Navy in Coach Ross - ditto regarding his selection of Coach Orsen - just ask the Mids.

GO NAVY! BEAT COLGATE!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Navy Lax gathering national headlines.

BB to be honored at a Navy lax game:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... osse-game/
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

I thought that this year's Lehigh game would have a very different outcome than 2019. I was optimistic that an extra year of experience for the young v.2019 team would make a big difference, but it didn't.

Why did I think it would? Even though the offense is inexperienced at midfield, all of the starting attack returned and I was hopeful that the offense would start the year on a positive note. The Richmond game added some hope. In addition, the starting defensemen and DMs, plus the goalie, returned. Plus, the defense was expected to be fresher with the inclusion of two DMs and two LSMs who played sparingly last year. It wasn't evident on Saturday, but the deeper rotation across the entire team on both sides of the field should help as the season wears on.

The Lehigh game was another tale of two halves. It's deja vu all over again, as Yogi would say.
In 2019, Navy was up 6-4 at 12:18 in the third and Lehigh went on a run to go up 14-7 at 6:08 in the fourth.
This year, Navy was up 5-4 at 10:01 in the third before Lehigh scored two in the third and went on a run to go up 10-5 at 8:10 in the fourth. Since the score was 7-5 at the end of the third, the three quick goals in the fourth (plus the fast break one) were especially tough. Goal 8 was an outside shot by 47 at 11:17, Goal 9 was an outside shot by 55 at 11:06 and goal 10 was an inside cut by 7 right past an experienced DM at 10:26. At 8:10, goal 11 was a dunk by 22 on a fast break by 48 after a strip of a Navy midfielder.

Fair to say that no one played well for the entire game, and it was a TEAM loss for Navy Lacrosse. Yes, face-offs were a big issue and the rotation on the wing play didn't seem to make much of a difference. The clearing miscues, including the offsides, also hurt, but Lehigh was minus six in turnovers and took 45 shots versus 44 shots last year.

Was the team gassed or was it a norovirus hangover? Hard to say, but Lehigh seems to currently have Navy's number, and they played much tougher when it mattered in the third and fourth quarters. It's "the whole darn team" as someone said after last year's Lehigh game and everyone needs to play better. Compared to last year's short bench, the v.2020 team is much deeper and stronger. The extra year of experience didn't help against Lehigh on Saturday, but hopefully the entire team will become stronger with each game and step up to the challenges ahead.

Onward to Colgate and Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
HealthyDebate wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:59 am
TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:14 am
HealthyDebate wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:50 am
HealthyDebate wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:58 am What can we say, a tale of two different halves on Saturday. One can argue the Mids should have been up 6-1 at half, heck possibly after the 1st Qtr. Bad shooting by us and great goaltending by Lehigh. I see a good Navy team I just don't see a mentally stable Navy team. They seem to get the woo-is-me stare when things start to go wrong. I, for one, feel good about this team. They have a challenging test this weekend, on the road at Holy Cross, which is, no matter what, just a tough place to play. While the score might not be indicative of the progress, I DO believe the defense is getting better. I would love to see everyone play better at the same time, and by everyone, I mean the whole darn team. I hope the staff practices tough GB's, because that Lehigh squad was around every tough GB and usually came up with it.
Keep positive, we have 5 games left. The results have not been there lately, but with only 2 seniors seeing serious time and only 3 juniors logging minutes the plebes and sophomores have gained valuable playing time and experience to prepare them for the stretch....
You sound like a disgruntled alum.....7 years of Top 20 defense (NCAA.com). The coaches didn't just forget to Coach.
Nah I just watched them play Princeton, MD and Loyola, teams I think Navy would like to compete with, and look totally lost on defense. Yes they lost 1v1 matchups at times and that makes it harder but it doesn't mean they should constantly be losing people on the crease. To me the lack of organization is on the coaches and regardless of what has happened in years past they are struggling right now.
BigI, I’m not gonna debate the amount of goals they are giving up, because it’s way too many. I clearly have a vested stake in this defense and team (see my posts). Since I have been at every game and have watched intimately this group is cleaning up some of the slop from MD and Princeton. I’m throwing Loyola out- that was putrid. The tale of the tape against Lehigh wasn’t off ball cutters and men inside. I do see this group getting better. It’s been very slow coming together but I’m seeing progress and even to my amateur eye, they are working through a process. NOW- what does that mean. I just don’t know. They have game experience now and chemistry is developing. Will the results come, I hope so. And because I have insider knowledge, the believe in their DC and trust him. This ship has no one looking to bail and would run thru a wall for each other (and coaches).
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Skipper wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:44 am Navy was out coached yesterday, Plan and simple. The Navy coaching staff never adjusted to the problem at the F/O X. They keep running the same midfielders that weren't ready for the big stage. It's time to step up Coach, its Patriot League Play, Shorten the bench, put the players on the field and WIN !
Welcome, Skipper. Congrats on easing into the Navy Lacrosse 2020 forum with your first post in a brand new account. Why be so subtle? You should have dropped the gloves and gone for the jugular right off the bat. You're entitled to your opinion, but that is a pretty harsh read on the entire team, Coach Amplo, and his coaching staff on the basis of the Lehigh game.

I know, you didn't like the outcome of the game; same as last year. Who did? We were miserable in the freezing cold, but you left really frustrated. In less than 24 hours and probably without watching the replay, you found your culprits, or the scapegoats. You know why Navy Lacrosse lost the game, and you know whom to blame. Everyone played great, except the offense, namely the not "ready for the big stage" ones. Plus, the new coaching staff should have coached better and sent more talented players onto the field so throw some shade their way too.

No way!...Win as a team and lose as one! Fair to say that no one played well for the entire game, and it was a TEAM loss for the entire Navy Lacrosse family.

"Time to step up Coach, ...Shorten the bench ...and WIN !" is your call. After four games, with two against weak opponents and a battle with the norovirus, you've seen enough to know and are sure who should play. Who else would like to know who is on Skipper's short bench? Who are your guys? How many lines do you run on your short bench? Please share you depth chart with us.

I would argue that now is absolutely the wrong time to shorten the bench and risk stunting player development. As Youth pointed out, there might be legacy issues at hand, even on attack. A short bench is exactly why Navy Lacrosse is sitting where it is today. There has been a lack of player development over the past couple of years; last year's loss at Holy Cross is Exhibit A.

IMO, game experience is the best solution and it will take time for this offense to build confidence. In the midfield, it appears that there are two Plebes currently on the first line and one on the second. Three non-Plebes rounded out those lines against Lehigh. One didn’t play at all and the other two played in a grand total of 13 games in 2019, with zero starts, and most of that time was very limited. Plus, the one experienced midfielder who played in 12 games in 2019, including two starts, didn't play on Saturday. Across the entire first/second midfield lines, they played in a total of 25 games last year. By comparison, three of the current attack core played in all 13 games, with a total of 36 starts amongst them. The fourth only played in four games in 2019 and the last one is a Plebe. I wouldn't be so quick on the trigger at any position.

The potential is there at every position, but weekly (or even quarter to quarter) variances are certain. I think that the team played much better in the Richmond game than the Lehigh game. Every thing that I have heard about Navy Lacrosse v.2020 indicates that they are a stronger team that is having more fun this year. Your approach seems to run counter to Coach Amplo’s interviews/public comments about player development.

Coach Amplo did try to fix the FO issues. Several different combinations were tried on the wing, including one of the players who you mentioned on the opening faceoff. By my count, eight different players (three DMs and five LSMs/poles) were out on the wing, including two who were out there ten or more times. Two others were out there more than five times, and the other four were out two or more times. As Youth pointed out, they probably should have been more aggressive harassing Lehigh’s two FOGOs, like VMI did.

Eyes on the boat and don't give up the ship! There is plenty of lacrosse left to play, including seven PL games, in 2020, so let's stay positive and not go down the rabbit hole. Let the coaches coach and look for a rebound this week.

Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!

FWIW, if your son is on the team, I hope that you aren't bad mouthing other players to him and/or pointing fingers, especially after the first PL game. Maybe instead, you should send your post and thoughts directly to Coach Amplo and his staff. I can tell that he needs to listen to a fan, maybe a parent, like you, who clearly has enormous lacrosse IQ, has fully assessed the roster and can gauge talent from "outside of the arena".
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

laxpere wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:15 pm

yeah, you must've missed sowell's 1st season on lp.
hope amplo keeps the natives happy.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Looking forward to a solid rebound by Mids vs. Raiders, including a fully healthy + robust Navy team O vs. Colgate and their 18.8ga avg. team D so far this season. While Navy will notch their first 2020 PL regular season W, Colgate's first W of 2020 will need to wait until they play Lafayette next week.

Navy 16 - Colgate 8... GO MIDS!
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:15 pm Navy Lax gathering national headlines.

BB to be honored at a Navy lax game:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... osse-game/
Very nice. Will make the Navy W over JHU @ NMCMS extra special.

Congrats Coach B!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”