All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: All Things Environment

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:20 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:25 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:52 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:03 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:24 am
a fan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:40 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:42 am Time to pick your poison....Trusted Harvard and Smithsonian Employee or backed by big coal.

Dr. Wille Soon: https://x.com/SpartaJustice/status/1746 ... 19624?s=20

Trust the science, from a scientist they say... :lol:
You don't have to so much as listen to scientists.

Ask your local farmer. Ask them about wild weather swings, and how much more frequent they are then when they were kids.

Republicans believe farmers, right? Talk to them. If you don't leave the conversation scared, or at least worried, you're not listening.

Or listen to people like me who work with farmed materials.

I just listened to an entire Master Brewer's Assn broadcast where the entire industry, for the first time ever, has to seriously consider changing the raw materials used to make beer because the quality of malting-barley is all over the place. And this is ALL growing regions of the world.

The long and the short of it is that for the last 150 years, you'd get one crazy year for barley for every ten years of normal. Now it's the other way around......9 years of abnormal crop years, and 1 that's "normal".

You can say that we're not getting the cause of this issue correctly identified if you want. But no bones about it.....our Earth is changing. And not in a good way.
It's never about money. Maybe...just maybe, we all being bamboozled: https://www.facebook.com/reel/720201783385543
Afan - I'd be curious what your farmer friends have to say about this guys premise...how much they have seen/witnessed soil and crop changes with new chemicals, seeds, changes in fertlizer, bug pestidisdes etc....along with concerns over climate issues.
Notice how young he is. This is the stereotypical "I have all the solutions" guy who just got out of college, and has NO IDEA that we've been working on everything he's mentioning for DECADES...not just some dude with a mustache. Real Engineers like my brother. He's talking about chemical companies from WWII? Tinfoilhat nonsense.

Do you remember what soda cans looked like in the 70's? How much thinner are they now? Still strong. Still do the job. How much less weight is being moved on roads and rails because of this?

Farmers and University Extension offices (think: Cornell Ag) have spent the last several decades helping farmers REDUCE pesticide use. This could mean everything from breeding to GM's. Same goes for water and mineral usage.

Our use of these things is WAY down from where it once was. And the EU's use is even lower. Can't speak to other countries, but if it costs money? BIgAg is trying to reduce the use. Because: duh.

If the US and EU would finally accept GMO's? This guy would get what he's asking for.....good crops that don't need pesticides, and make better use of nutrients and need less water. GMO's are the future, imho. But the 1st world doesn't like them, so.....
I’m pro GMO.

Didn’t the Cornell AG station in Geneva create DDT back in the day? Pretty sure that’s correct.
More from Cornell.

"When a disease-causing fungus emerges as a novel fungal pathogen, its arrival can often be traced back to something humans have done. We move fungi from their native hosts and locales to new places and provide them with an opportunity to infect new hosts. If we practice prevention, if we are more careful, and have more regulations around the transport of plants and animals around the world, we may reduce the introduction of at least some novel fungal pathogens. Preventing new outbreaks through greater awareness and by supporting prevention policies and regulation is our collective responsibility."

https://nextbigideaclub.com/magazine/bl ... ite/44014/

"Earlier this year, the Cornell University Plant Disease Diagnostic Clinic (CU-PDDC) used a new rapid test they developed to identify a small number of oak trees with oak wilt disease on Long Island, in the town on Central Islip.

This is a significant find and only the second location and third time that oak wilt has been identified in New York state, as it was confirmed in Schenectady County in 2008 and again in 2013, said Karen Snover-Clift, director of CU-PDDC, which collaborates closely with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and the Department of Agriculture and Markets (NYSDAM) by providing diagnoses and research on plant diseases."

https://news.cornell.edu/stories/2016/0 ... e-oak-wilt
I have to read this more thoroughly but it’s bad. How bad?

I know there’s plenty of mushrooms floating around the finger lakes from experience though. Particularly pockets and ties like around the grass roots festival in Trumansburg in the summers.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:51 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:42 am Time to pick your poison....Trusted Harvard and Smithsonian Employee or backed by big coal.

Ask your local farmer. Ask them about wild weather swings, and how much more frequent they are then when they were kids.

Republicans believe farmers, right? Talk to them. If you don't leave the conversation scared, or at least worried, you're not listening.

I just listened to an entire Master Brewer's Assn broadcast where the entire industry, for the first time ever, has to seriously consider changing the raw materials used to make beer because the quality of malting-barley is all over the place. And this is ALL growing regions of the world.

The long and the short of it is that for the last 150 years, you'd get one crazy year for barley for every ten years of normal. Now it's the other way around......9 years of abnormal crop years, and 1 that's "normal".

You can say that we're not getting the cause of this issue correctly identified if you want. But no bones about it.....our Earth is changing. And not in a good way.
It's never about money. Maybe...just maybe, we all being bamboozled: https://www.facebook.com/reel/720201783385543
Afan - I'd be curious what your farmer friends have to say about this guys premise...how much they have seen/witnessed soil and crop changes with new chemicals, seeds, changes in fertlizer, bug pestidisdes etc....along with concerns over climate issues.
Notice how young he is. This is the stereotypical "I have all the solutions" guy who just got out of college, and has NO IDEA that we've been working on everything he's mentioning for DECADES...not just some dude with a mustache. Real Engineers like my brother. He's talking about chemical companies from WWII? Tinfoilhat nonsense.

Do you remember what soda cans looked like in the 70's? How much thinner are they now? Still strong. Still do the job. How much less weight is being moved on roads and rails because of this?

Farmers and University Extension offices (think: Cornell Ag) have spent the last several decades helping farmers REDUCE pesticide use. This could mean everything from breeding to GM's. Same goes for water and mineral usage.

Our use of these things is WAY down from where it once was. And the EU's use is even lower. Can't speak to other countries, but if it costs money? BIgAg is trying to reduce the use. Because: duh.

If the US and EU would finally accept GMO's? This guy would get what he's asking for.....good crops that don't need pesticides, and make better use of nutrients and need less water. GMO's are the future, imho. But the 1st world doesn't like them, so.....
I’m pro GMO.

Didn’t the Cornell AG station in Geneva create DDT back in the day? Pretty sure that’s correct.
More from Cornell.

"When a disease-causing fungus emerges as a novel fungal pathogen, its arrival can often be traced back to something humans have done. We move fungi from their native hosts and locales to new places and provide them with an opportunity to infect new hosts. If we practice prevention, if we are more careful, and have more regulations around the transport of plants and animals around the world, we may reduce the introduction of at least some novel fungal pathogens. Preventing new outbreaks through greater awareness and by supporting prevention policies and regulation is our collective responsibility."

"Earlier this year, the Cornell University Plant Disease Diagnostic Clinic (CU-PDDC) used a new rapid test they developed to identify a small number of oak trees with oak wilt disease on Long Island, in the town on Central Islip.

This is a significant find and only the second location and third time that oak wilt has been identified in New York state, as it was confirmed in Schenectady County in 2008 and again in 2013, said Karen Snover-Clift, director of CU-PDDC, which collaborates closely with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and the Department of Agriculture and Markets (NYSDAM) by providing diagnoses and research on plant diseases."

I know there’s plenty of mushrooms floating around the finger lakes from experience though. Particularly pockets and ties like around the grass roots festival in Trumansburg in the summers.
Fungus is everywhere. Good thing too, or there would be a fcuking tangle of dead material everywhere.

Problems start when either the fungus is moved, or it moves itself (windborne spores) to areas that gave become more hospitable — warmer, wetter…
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:52 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:51 pm

I’m pro GMO.

More from Cornell.

Fungus is everywhere. Good thing too, or there would be a fcuking tangle of dead material everywhere.

Problems start when either the fungus is moved, or it moves itself (windborne spores) to areas that gave become more hospitable — warmer, wetter…
Never ever thought there’d be any chance “warmer, wetter” could be anything but awesome.

I’ll have to dig in more thanks .
See Martin, Malcolm
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:52 pmFungus is everywhere. Good thing too, or there would be a fcuking tangle of dead material everywhere.

Global mortality from fungal diseases has nearly doubled

Not yet The Last of Us, but we're still just scratching the surface of understanding fungi's affect on us and other species in the bigger picture.

Remember my first time living in a cold weather environment and getting jock itch from all the long johns. And discovering by accident Head & Shoulders could clear it up. Nowadays a quick google search will tell you plenty.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

A bracing look at climate science models. For those allergic to reasoned, factual disquisition, I'll sum it up. Climate change will lead to massive migration with attendant disease outbreaks. Soon. So if you think we have issues at the southern border now, hold on to your hats...

FFG, I see an investment opportunity in Killbot production and deployment at the Darien Gap, pronto.

I love it when smart people curse... 13:17 -- "mindfcukingly stupid"

This link below offers an interesting mechanism for understanding where the people are, and why they will be moving. Hint, the equator is going to be a bad place.

https://engaging-data.com/population-la ... longitude/
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

At 72%, more Americans believe in Climate Change than ever before. A majority of Americans think Climate Change is due to human activity, in all but 6 states: Indiana, Kentucky, North Dakota, Oklahoma, West Virginia and Wyoming.

The democrats have another great issue to use against Trump and the republiCONs this year if they are smart.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:41 pm At 72%, more Americans believe in Climate Change than ever before. A majority of Americans think Climate Change is due to human activity, in all but 6 states: Indiana, Kentucky, North Dakota, Oklahoma, West Virginia and Wyoming.

The democrats have another great issue to use against Trump and the republiCONs this year if they are smart.
My new favorite phrase -- "mindfcukingly stupid."
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:08 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:41 pm At 72%, more Americans believe in Climate Change than ever before. A majority of Americans think Climate Change is due to human activity, in all but 6 states: Indiana, Kentucky, North Dakota, Oklahoma, West Virginia and Wyoming.

Yer a day late and a dollar short there partner. The FLP wing of the Democrat party locked that honor up years ago. :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Stop growing your own food, Science says you are impacting the environment 6x more than the conventional farming if you are in an urban setting. :roll:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 140408.htm
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:58 am Stop growing your own food, Science says you are impacting the environment 6x more than the conventional farming if you are in an urban setting. :roll:

First they are coming for our guns. The next thing they will be coming for our tomatoes. :D Most folks have never choked down a hot house tomato. Look beautiful with no flavor. They also cost an arm and a leg.
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:29 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:58 am Stop growing your own food, Science says you are impacting the environment 6x more than the conventional farming if you are in an urban setting. :roll:

First they are coming for our guns. The next thing they will be coming for our tomatoes. :D Most folks have never choked down a hot house tomato. Look beautiful with no flavor. They also cost an arm and a leg.
:lol: Fellas, the paper is to help guide how Urban ag is executed. This is helpful stuff, not harmful. There isn't a lib anywhere in the US that ain't all in for Urban Ag, for the very reasons detailed in the paper. If you put the libs in charge? You'll get MORE urban ag, not less.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:03 pm

:lol: Fellas, the paper is to help guide how Urban ag is executed. This is helpful stuff, not harmful. There isn't a lib anywhere in the US that ain't all in for Urban Ag, for the very reasons detailed in the paper. If you put the libs in charge? You'll get MORE urban ag, not less.
Calm down a Fan. I'm perfectly aware of what the deal is here. I'm starting to think I really stink when it comes to sarcasm. Besides, P Allen Smith would have a say in this matter. I'm a huge advocate for all people to grow more of their own food.
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:11 pm

Calm down a Fan. I'm perfectly aware of what the deal is here. I'm starting to think I really stink when it comes to sarcasm. Besides, P Allen Smith would have a say in this matter. I'm a huge advocate for all people to grow more of their own food.
It's impossible to read sarcasm here and get it right every time, my friend. Apologies!

I didn't know you two were following this sort of thing.....just trying to share the optimism. My bad.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:15 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:11 pm

It's impossible to read sarcasm here and get it right every time, my friend. Apologies!

I didn't know you two were following this sort of thing.....just trying to share the optimism. My bad.
I watch P Allen Smith all of the time always wishing I could grow vegetables like he does.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... there you go, cradle gave you an example of someone being "mindfcukingly stupid." :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:54 pm

... there you go, cradle gave you an example of someone being "mindfcukingly stupid." :lol:
I thought you had to have a PhD to be mindfcukingly stupid. That is how you roll after all. ;)
Save the planet yet?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Is that the same John that tried to cheat on his taxes? If memory serves me correct he tried a little scam job as to where his wifes yacht would be it's home port. Poor Johnny didn't like those taxes on his wife's yacht.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The independent thinker using wideawake media.
See Martin, Malcolm
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

USA is killing it with off the charts production of oil and natural gas. I hope Joe does a victory lap and uses this good news and incorporates it into his reelection campaign. ;)

Return to “POLITICS”