***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

HS Boys Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: ***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

Post by kramerica.inc »

Pretty awesome story. And the kid can play.

High School Lacrosse: Insider
John Carroll boys lacrosse senior Michael Cox found his path, uplifted by those who chose him
By Sam Cohn

May 12, 2023 at 5:00 am
Donnie Famularo estimates there are upward of a thousand John Carroll lacrosse faceoff videos saved on his phone. It’s his responsibility to record each midfield clash taken by his son, Michael Cox. Postgame car rides are then spent meticulously reviewing each clip.

“See Pop, look. See my hands are in the wrong spot there,” Cox explains, his head buried in the replays. The faceoff circle is a space of clarity. It’s just him and his opponent, crouched silently, as they anticipate the impending whistle.

Those are the moments when Cox becomes laser-focused.

Once, his niece Ruby, who was only 4 years old at the time, accompanied her uncle in the front yard while he practiced faceoffs. Cox pulled her into the makeshift circle. He slid her hands and feet into place, patiently teaching her proper technique.

[Image: John Carroll boys lacrosse coach Don Reynolds, from left, Rebecca Famularo, Michael Cox and Donnie Famularo pose together before the Patriots' senior night.]

“When he sets his mind that he wants to try to do something or learn something,” Famularo said, his Mississippi drawl pouring over each syllable, “he will work on it tirelessly for hours and hours until he gets it.”

Sports offered Cox a place for refuge in a journey that nearly saw him slip through the cracks.

Even resurfacing baby pictures brings Donnie’s wife, Rebecca, to tears. Cox was born in Mississippi on Sept. 4, 2004. Rebecca met him for the first time shortly thereafter, in December 2004. Cox needed a stable home environment. Rebecca, her maternal instincts kicking in, felt compelled to provide it when given the opportunity to give him just that.

“The mother in me just didn’t think he was being mothered enough,” Rebecca said. “I felt like he had a lot of love to give. … So I called [Donnie] and said, ‘I think I’m gonna bring a baby home.’”

Rebecca is Cox’s biological mother’s aunt, technically making her Cox’s great aunt and Donnie, his great uncle. But to them and to Cox, having loved and raised him all his life, they’ve always been “mom and dad.”

Rebecca and Donnie had then only recently become empty-nesters. All three of their biological children — now 38, 41 and 42 years old — were out of the house when they officially took Cox in on Jan. 21, 2005. His biological older sister, Alyssa Mooney, later joined the family.

Mooney took the first initiative to try to meet her biological parents. She introduced them via FaceTime to her younger brother.

“I just thought, I’ll let her do her and let her go see my parents — my biological parents that didn’t even want me,” Cox said. “And I’ll just stay here and keep grinding and be someone one day.”

Not sharing a last name with his parents subjected Cox to questions he detested answering. Being diagnosed with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in first grade and requiring additional academic support opened him up to judgment from his peers.

“But with boys in particular, if you can play, you’re immediately accepted,” John Carroll boys lacrosse coach Don Reynolds said. “That was Michael’s path initially to expanding his friend group.”

To say he was always athletically inclined might be underselling it.

[Image: John Carroll senior Michael Cox will attend Limestone University, where he'll play lacrosse.]

Rebecca remembers sitting off to the side of one of Cox’s Taekwondo classes. He was maybe 5 years old at the time. She looked up, confused. The entire class counted higher and higher. “79! 80! 81!” they chanted. Cox was knocking out pushups. His arms trembled mightily but he refused to quit.

He once impressed his North East Elementary School classmates and physical education teacher by being the only student to conquer the gym’s pegboard climbing wall, ringing the top bell.

John Carroll provided a competitive athletic environment that could also meet his academic needs.

As a freshman, Cox was getting additional academic support through the school’s St. Joseph program. As a sophomore amid the coronavirus pandemic, during which school was done virtually, his grades improved enough to where he wasn’t eligible for receiving similar resources as a junior — often considered high school’s most academically rigorous time.

Athletic pressures in football, wrestling and lacrosse, on top of dealing with personal and educational stress, reached a reckoning in the winter of his junior year.

During a dual meet against Gilman in the closing weeks of the season, Cox uncharacteristically conceded a match. He should have easily “overpowered the kid,” Donnie said. But Cox wanted to quit. He confided in his mom it was all becoming too much.

“I just had so much stuff on my hands,” Cox said. “It was a lot of work. My grades were slipping. It just wasn’t working out for me.”

“I got really scared,” Rebecca said. “I wanted to know where he was. What was making him say that? I know studying is hard and I get that. But that’s not what I saw. I saw almost desperation. Like, ‘I just can’t do it.’”

Patriots wrestling coach Keith Runk called Reynolds that night. They met the next day and vowed to get Cox the appropriate help. Cox was retested for an Individualized Education Plan, a more specialized instruction that would reinstate him to the St. Joseph program and better tailor it to his learning style.

In addition to Cox’s grades dropping at the time, he admitted his relationships with family and friends were suffering the same fate. Even his connection with Reynolds — another parent figure — had gotten rocky.

Cox’s support group, however, helped steer him to newfound success.

[Image: John Carroll senior Michael Cox, right, met Don Reynolds after joining his Thunder Lacrosse program in middle school. Player and coach have since forged an untenable bond over shared experiences.]

Cox met Reynolds after joining his Thunder Lacrosse program in middle school. Player and coach have since forged an untenable bond over shared experiences.

Reynolds was vulnerable with him, sharing the grave details of his own upbringing; a drug-addicted biological father who returned from fighting the war in Vietnam unable to raise him, leading to his adoption in eighth grade.

He often heard in adolescence, sometimes from family members, “You’re like your father.” That’s a battle Cox can relate to, feeling as though someone else is setting boundaries for your potential.

“I don’t know that Michael looked at me and thought maybe I came from some perfect path,” Reynolds said. “But I share the same path as him. And I wanted him to look at me after all this time we’ve been together — because we do trust and love each other — to say, “Hey, he didn’t become his dad. And neither [will] I.”

Cox shows deep affection for those who choose to love and to be there for him. Graduation is a hard goodbye for his closest kin who have watched him endure with a whimsical smile and unbreakably polite demeanor.

He’ll attend Limestone University in Gaffney, South Carolina, where he’ll play lacrosse. Donnie proudly noted the monumental accomplishment “considering where he could have been.”

“I wish more coaches and administrators and parents could come to grips with what our kids need,” Reynolds said. “I feel like there are a lot of kids battling with things and people are not coming to grips with the reality of it. Michael proves that you can find a path and be very successful.”
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/hig ... story.html
ObxTerpFan

Post by ObxTerpFan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:51 am Pretty awesome story. And the kid can play.

High School Lacrosse: Insider
John Carroll boys lacrosse senior Michael Cox found his path, uplifted by those who chose him
By Sam Cohn

May 12, 2023 at 5:00 am
Donnie Famularo estimates there are upward of a thousand John Carroll lacrosse faceoff videos saved on his phone. It’s his responsibility to record each midfield clash taken by his son, Michael Cox. Postgame car rides are then spent meticulously reviewing each clip.

“See Pop, look. See my hands are in the wrong spot there,” Cox explains, his head buried in the replays. The faceoff circle is a space of clarity. It’s just him and his opponent, crouched silently, as they anticipate the impending whistle.

Those are the moments when Cox becomes laser-focused.

Once, his niece Ruby, who was only 4 years old at the time, accompanied her uncle in the front yard while he practiced faceoffs. Cox pulled her into the makeshift circle. He slid her hands and feet into place, patiently teaching her proper technique.

[Image: John Carroll boys lacrosse coach Don Reynolds, from left, Rebecca Famularo, Michael Cox and Donnie Famularo pose together before the Patriots' senior night.]

“When he sets his mind that he wants to try to do something or learn something,” Famularo said, his Mississippi drawl pouring over each syllable, “he will work on it tirelessly for hours and hours until he gets it.”

Sports offered Cox a place for refuge in a journey that nearly saw him slip through the cracks.

Even resurfacing baby pictures brings Donnie’s wife, Rebecca, to tears. Cox was born in Mississippi on Sept. 4, 2004. Rebecca met him for the first time shortly thereafter, in December 2004. Cox needed a stable home environment. Rebecca, her maternal instincts kicking in, felt compelled to provide it when given the opportunity to give him just that.

“The mother in me just didn’t think he was being mothered enough,” Rebecca said. “I felt like he had a lot of love to give. … So I called [Donnie] and said, ‘I think I’m gonna bring a baby home.’”

Rebecca is Cox’s biological mother’s aunt, technically making her Cox’s great aunt and Donnie, his great uncle. But to them and to Cox, having loved and raised him all his life, they’ve always been “mom and dad.”

Rebecca and Donnie had then only recently become empty-nesters. All three of their biological children — now 38, 41 and 42 years old — were out of the house when they officially took Cox in on Jan. 21, 2005. His biological older sister, Alyssa Mooney, later joined the family.

Mooney took the first initiative to try to meet her biological parents. She introduced them via FaceTime to her younger brother.

“I just thought, I’ll let her do her and let her go see my parents — my biological parents that didn’t even want me,” Cox said. “And I’ll just stay here and keep grinding and be someone one day.”

Not sharing a last name with his parents subjected Cox to questions he detested answering. Being diagnosed with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in first grade and requiring additional academic support opened him up to judgment from his peers.

“But with boys in particular, if you can play, you’re immediately accepted,” John Carroll boys lacrosse coach Don Reynolds said. “That was Michael’s path initially to expanding his friend group.”

To say he was always athletically inclined might be underselling it.

[Image: John Carroll senior Michael Cox will attend Limestone University, where he'll play lacrosse.]

Rebecca remembers sitting off to the side of one of Cox’s Taekwondo classes. He was maybe 5 years old at the time. She looked up, confused. The entire class counted higher and higher. “79! 80! 81!” they chanted. Cox was knocking out pushups. His arms trembled mightily but he refused to quit.

He once impressed his North East Elementary School classmates and physical education teacher by being the only student to conquer the gym’s pegboard climbing wall, ringing the top bell.

John Carroll provided a competitive athletic environment that could also meet his academic needs.

As a freshman, Cox was getting additional academic support through the school’s St. Joseph program. As a sophomore amid the coronavirus pandemic, during which school was done virtually, his grades improved enough to where he wasn’t eligible for receiving similar resources as a junior — often considered high school’s most academically rigorous time.

Athletic pressures in football, wrestling and lacrosse, on top of dealing with personal and educational stress, reached a reckoning in the winter of his junior year.

During a dual meet against Gilman in the closing weeks of the season, Cox uncharacteristically conceded a match. He should have easily “overpowered the kid,” Donnie said. But Cox wanted to quit. He confided in his mom it was all becoming too much.

“I just had so much stuff on my hands,” Cox said. “It was a lot of work. My grades were slipping. It just wasn’t working out for me.”

“I got really scared,” Rebecca said. “I wanted to know where he was. What was making him say that? I know studying is hard and I get that. But that’s not what I saw. I saw almost desperation. Like, ‘I just can’t do it.’”

Patriots wrestling coach Keith Runk called Reynolds that night. They met the next day and vowed to get Cox the appropriate help. Cox was retested for an Individualized Education Plan, a more specialized instruction that would reinstate him to the St. Joseph program and better tailor it to his learning style.

In addition to Cox’s grades dropping at the time, he admitted his relationships with family and friends were suffering the same fate. Even his connection with Reynolds — another parent figure — had gotten rocky.

Cox’s support group, however, helped steer him to newfound success.

[Image: John Carroll senior Michael Cox, right, met Don Reynolds after joining his Thunder Lacrosse program in middle school. Player and coach have since forged an untenable bond over shared experiences.]

Cox met Reynolds after joining his Thunder Lacrosse program in middle school. Player and coach have since forged an untenable bond over shared experiences.

Reynolds was vulnerable with him, sharing the grave details of his own upbringing; a drug-addicted biological father who returned from fighting the war in Vietnam unable to raise him, leading to his adoption in eighth grade.

He often heard in adolescence, sometimes from family members, “You’re like your father.” That’s a battle Cox can relate to, feeling as though someone else is setting boundaries for your potential.

“I don’t know that Michael looked at me and thought maybe I came from some perfect path,” Reynolds said. “But I share the same path as him. And I wanted him to look at me after all this time we’ve been together — because we do trust and love each other — to say, “Hey, he didn’t become his dad. And neither [will] I.”

Cox shows deep affection for those who choose to love and to be there for him. Graduation is a hard goodbye for his closest kin who have watched him endure with a whimsical smile and unbreakably polite demeanor.

He’ll attend Limestone University in Gaffney, South Carolina, where he’ll play lacrosse. Donnie proudly noted the monumental accomplishment “considering where he could have been.”

“I wish more coaches and administrators and parents could come to grips with what our kids need,” Reynolds said. “I feel like there are a lot of kids battling with things and people are not coming to grips with the reality of it. Michael proves that you can find a path and be very successful.”
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/hig ... story.html
What an inspiring beautiful story!!!!!
CharlesS

Post by CharlesS »

BL handling the Saints. Saints have no answer for BL offense. BL looks faster.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Congrats to the Semifinalists! Congrats also to Sp and StM for making the playoffs in the best high school league around.

Four best and most athletic teams made it to Navy. It's going to be a fun doubleheader. Any predictions?

McDonogh v BL - Battle of boarding schools. BL coming on strong and too much firepower for the defending champs. Final; BL 12- 10
Loyola v Calvert Hall - Dons avenge the end of season loss and win when it counts. Extending Ubriaco's final season. Final; Loyola 9-8
Last edited by Slim on Mon May 15, 2023 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Champ game is in Baltimore because Navy is hosting the quarters.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Love that the semis are in Annapolis. Great venue. Great event. 4 very good teams.

BL/McD will be a great matchup. Very good players and coaching on both sides. McD looks like the relative favorite to win it all. But BL does best when they get to play spoiler.

LB/CH will be good too. Gonna be a rougher, scrappier brand of lacrosse. LB is the much better team on paper. But that didn't matter last week. CH has done well with low expectations this year, flying under the radar. They did not look like a playoff team, yet alone a #2 seed, during early stretches of the season. But they won when they had to. Can Calvert Hall keep the magic going? Are LB kids really playing inspired for Ubriaco? If so, why is the admin making the change?

All things to ponder during this playoff push.
head73

Post by head73 »

Friday evening will feature the Cardinals and the Eagles; McD beating BL in OT and the Hall beating LB 11-8.
crumudgeon2

Post by crumudgeon2 »

Interesting games yesterday. I was surprised by the unforced turnovers from both games, especially this late in the year. McDonogh has some of the best high school players in the country and should be considered the favorite going into the game.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Spaulding HC, Brian Phipps, stepping down to pursue new career in financial market. Still going to be involved with Spaulding Lacrosse to support the new staff and support recruiting.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Salisbury grad, Evan Hockel to take the reigns at Spalding.
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

Championship Game streaming (no paywall) or on ESPN?
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
crumudgeon2

Post by crumudgeon2 »

WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:25 pm Championship Game streaming (no paywall) or on ESPN?
This is the link.

https://www.miaachampionships.com/watch-2023-lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

crumudgeon2 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:08 pm
WaffleTwineFaceoff wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:25 pm Championship Game streaming (no paywall) or on ESPN?
This is the link.

Does that really say that the B Championship is between Park and Archbishop Spalding?
they mean Curley, correct?

come on, guys... :roll:
Slim

Post by Slim »

They make several mistakes on graphics. Butchered several graphics, including the playoff bracket updates throughout the semifinal games. Shriver pointed it out often during the broadcast. It's really comical that they refer to themselves as a FiveStar broadcast when in fact errors like these prove they are closer to a 2-3 Star broadcast. Thankfully, Coach Zimmerman leading the broadcast makes up or covers for a lot of the deficiencies in the broadcast. I really wish one of the local networks could take over the game...with Zim and Keith Mills announcing.
WaffleTwineFaceoff

Post by WaffleTwineFaceoff »

crumudgeon2 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:08 pm
This is the link.

Appreciate that!
The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. John Stuart Mill On Liberty 1859
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Slim wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:47 pm They make several mistakes on graphics. Butchered several graphics, including the playoff bracket updates throughout the semifinal games. Shriver pointed it out often during the broadcast. It's really comical that they refer to themselves as a FiveStar broadcast when in fact errors like these prove they are closer to a 2-3 Star broadcast. Thankfully, Coach Zimmerman leading the broadcast makes up or covers for a lot of the deficiencies in the broadcast. I really wish one of the local networks could take over the game...with Zim and Keith Mills announcing.
Zim did a nice job. Although he was a tad loud on big plays... perhaps dial back the mic a bit.
Agree- Love to have Keith Mills do it.
MIAA Game of the Week was lame this year too.
Slim

Post by Slim »

I'm sure someone will add a new thread but how is 2024 shaping up?

McD has to be the #1 with all the horses they have back. Could they match CH's 3-peat?

Who and how many boarding recruits is IMG North (BL) bringing in?

What is the prognosis for Haus at LB?

Who are the other upstart contenders? CH, LB, Sp, StM?

Who are the pretenders? Sev, Gil, AS?

How will MSJ and JC improve?

Just curious as to what folks think...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Anyone know more of the back story at John Carroll?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/h ... story.html
JC Fan

Post by JC Fan »

To summarize from a credible source close to the situation, some within the JC administration (i.e. president & AD) are not on the same page with Coach Reynolds or others trying to move the program forward. They will say one thing publicly, but privately not support the program financially when it really counts. As good of a job as Coach Reynolds has done trying to turn things around, there’s a severe lack of support from within the building. The sad part is, he was really close to getting things accomplished, which was most likely seen as a threat by those in charge, hence the firing. It sounds like the players, parents, alumni, and community are all showing nearly unanimous support, so hopefully the school will realize that and make the right decision. If not, expect to see a dramatic drop in competitive level. Few people really understand the amount of effort (and money) required to compete in the A conference, especially for a team like JC who only recently moved up.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JC Fan wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:46 pm To summarize from a credible source close to the situation, some within the JC administration (i.e. president & AD) are not on the same page with Coach Reynolds or others trying to move the program forward. They will say one thing publicly, but privately not support the program financially when it really counts. As good of a job as Coach Reynolds has done trying to turn things around, there’s a severe lack of support from within the building. The sad part is, he was really close to getting things accomplished, which was most likely seen as a threat by those in charge, hence the firing. It sounds like the players, parents, alumni, and community are all showing nearly unanimous support, so hopefully the school will realize that and make the right decision. If not, expect to see a dramatic drop in competitive level. Few people really understand the amount of effort (and money) required to compete in the A conference, especially for a team like JC who only recently moved up.
Great to get one perspective, thanks.

Why does your source think that the President and AD don't want to "move the program forward"? Why would Reynold's building a successful program, "getting things accomplished", be a "threat" to "those in charge" (President and AD)?

Sure, it takes financial support, but what kind of financial support was being requested? What "things" were "getting accomplished" that the President and AD wouldn't agree with?

Was there something about the way Reynolds was trying to build the program that the AD and President were opposed to doing?

Sounds like there's more to the story as to what is meant by "not on the same page".

Hoping you and/or others can fill in some of these blanks.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”