***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

HS Boys Lacrosse
JC Fan

Re: ***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

Post by JC Fan »

There are those within the administration that are completely content with mediocrity and not changing the status quo. It is not their intention to be as competitive as possible in the realm of sports but instead to provide just enough to get people in the door. They don’t see sports as the marketing tool or attraction that it could be. There is nothing wrong with this view, but it does not align with being in the A conference, especially for the sport of lacrosse where the competition is arguably at the highest across all sports in the MIAA. The reality is that it takes a significant financial investment from the school to fund the program appropriately (i.e. competitive financial aid for top recruits). Some believe that this investment would enhance the school’s brand, and provide a nice return in enrollment and positive attention for the school, especially in a county that is growing in population. Others recognize that JC is the only higher level private high school option in the county (other than Harford Christian, which isn’t really a fair comparison when it comes to sports & environment) so they know they are going to get a reasonable amount of applicants regardless of athletic results. There aren’t a lot of options for people who don’t want to make the trip south to Baltimore, hence the lack of motivation on the side of the administration. The majority of the higher level decision makers at the school aren’t interested in competing with the Baltimore area schools for applicants or athletic prestige, they just want to hit their enrollment numbers each year and keep things steady & easy. Unfortunately, this stalemate has existed for a considerable amount of time and has affected multiple sports/programs, and it will continue to exist unless there is a change in leadership, both in the school administration and the board of trustees. The sad part is that there are good people in both the school admin and on the board who want to do what’s best for the kids and the community, but there’s just not enough of them to win the majority.

To my knowledge, there was nothing wrong with the way Reynolds was doing his job, other than trying to change the status quo. The admin claims to share the same vision for the program, but when it comes time to follow through financially, they don’t, and instead they slow-play it and stall. He has been attracting top level talent from
Harford county at a much higher rate than in the past, but there are still high level recruits choosing to go out of county, and in some cases the decision is mostly financial. You can’t expect families to pay substantially more to stay in county to play for a program with less tradition. From what I hear, the culture of the team has never been better, team GPAs are some of the best in the school, off the field conduct has significantly improved, etc. It had the makings of a program that most would want their kids to be apart of. That’s why so many in the community are confused and frustrated with the decision to let him go.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Thanks, that provides a lot of color.

What you seem to be implying is that top kids are traveling out of county for financial reasons, presumably because other schools are offering them financial aid that JC is not?

Which schools and how much aid are we talking? How many kids per year are we talking?

I'm a bit out of date, so forgive me, but most of the aid packages provided at most of the privates is based on the family income level...sure, you're on the list because you got the school's attention as a desirable applicant, but sounds like there's more than a little "merit aid" getting thrown at athletes independent of actual financial need?

I've heard of some of that happening, which I think is a bit of a travesty, but please confirm which schools are grabbing significant #'s of kids that way.

I do wonder about this sentence: "The sad part is that there are good people in both the school admin and on the board who want to do what’s best for the kids and the community, but there’s just not enough of them to win the majority."

Obviously there are kids who see playing time at JC now who would not if JC were spending big money to buy recruits who are better than them, right?

So, not better for everyone if JC was buying athletes, right?

I'm interested in other's insights on JC, but also the broader question of what's happening in the league overall, the arm's race that is getting played out...what's the reality, right now, and please be specific if you can.
JC Fan

Post by JC Fan »

What you seem to be implying is that top kids are traveling out of county for financial reasons, presumably because other schools are offering them financial aid that JC is not?
Yes, in some cases that is what is happening, especially with a lot of the most elite players. Recently, JC has been having some success in getting a handful of those elite players to stay, but when you compare the population pool in Harford to that of the Baltimore area or even Annapolis, the numbers aren’t comparable. JC would need to retain virtually all of the top talent EVERY year in order to compete. It’s just a smaller market. And that would require going outside the normal formula for financial aid for certain kids.

Which schools and how much aid are we talking? How many kids per year are we talking?
I'm a bit out of date, so forgive me, but most of the aid packages provided at most of the privates is based on the family income level...sure, you're on the list because you got the school's attention as a desirable applicant, but sounds like there's more than a little "merit aid" getting thrown at athletes independent of actual financial need?
I've heard of some of that happening, which I think is a bit of a travesty, but please confirm which schools are grabbing significant #'s of kids that way.

I don’t think it would be appropriate to name certain schools when it is happening basically across the board. However, some are more aggressive than others. Given your extensive knowledge and experience with the MIAA, I’m sure you can imagine which schools are spending the most money. For anyone close to any MIAA program, this is a relatively well-known occurrence and unfortunately comes with the territory if you want to be competitive.
It would certainly not be appropriate to name specific players, as these are teenagers we are talking about. And I’ll be honest, I don’t have all the specific names and numbers, but I do hear anecdotes from various people that paint most of the picture. To give a somewhat hypothetical example, JC’s tuition is around 20k, they might get a kid down to 8-12k per year. But then another school in the Baltimore area will offer that kid a full ride, or less than 5k for the year (depending on talent level). Yes, family income does play a role, but from what I hear it isn’t an exact formula and wiggle room exists for the top kids each year. When you consider that the base tuition of some of these other schools is much higher, they are spending significantly more to get down to those final offers.

I do wonder about this sentence: "The sad part is that there are good people in both the school admin and on the board who want to do what’s best for the kids and the community, but there’s just not enough of them to win the majority."
Obviously there are kids who see playing time at JC now who would not if JC were spending big money to buy recruits who are better than them, right?

Right now, JC is essentially “half in” when it comes to the support side of it. They are getting some higher-level kids, but not enough to field a fully competitive team year in and year out. There are some standout players that can hold their own, but not nearly enough depth to truly compete. The current situation doesn’t serve anyone as they are basically stuck in limbo, too competitive for B, not quite competitive enough for A. Yes, investing further to bring in more of those elite kids each year would undoubtedly take away playing time from other kids, but that is the nature of a competitive program. There are kids on pretty much every A conference roster that could go elsewhere and get more playing time who choose to stay at those schools for a number of different reasons (legacy, tradition, want to be on a winning team, enjoy the competition or team culture, etc.).
What I meant by “best for the kids and the community” is that you would be giving kids in Harford county a legitimate place to go that’s right in their own backyard where they could get the same experience (or possibly better) versus if they traveled further. And it wouldn’t necessarily take “big money” as you say, just more than what is being given at the moment.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JC Fan wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:32 pm What you seem to be implying is that top kids are traveling out of county for financial reasons, presumably because other schools are offering them financial aid that JC is not?
Yes, in some cases that is what is happening, especially with a lot of the most elite players. Recently, JC has been having some success in getting a handful of those elite players to stay, but when you compare the population pool in Harford to that of the Baltimore area or even Annapolis, the numbers aren’t comparable. JC would need to retain virtually all of the top talent EVERY year in order to compete. It’s just a smaller market. And that would require going outside the normal formula for financial aid for certain kids.

Is JC having this success in keeping more by being more aggressive with dough, though not enough to keep all the top ones, or especially not the top ones? Or has better coaching elevated the program to be more attractive as a place where one can actually get noticed by college recruiters?

Are we sure that the talent is actually leaving for $, or is it possibly be because the profile of some of those other schools is somehow more attractive? I recall, maybe a decade ago, a kid going to St.Paul's who was a tremendous player and I dunno that such was about better $...maybe it was...but maybe it was for the lacrosse profile of the school. I know that kids go to Gilman and McDonogh because of academic profile plus athletics...they have attractive financial aid, for sure, and if I'm not mistaken, McD has gotten especially aggressive re athletes...in the Catholic market, is Calvert Hall especially aggressive for those players? I'm guessing less so at Loyola, but could be wrong...BL has always put a huge emphasis on lax, so getting recruited is going to be happening, as long as you are getting on the field...

Not sure that's been the case at JC, right? Harder to be noticed?

I don’t think it would be appropriate to name certain schools when it is happening basically across the board. However, some are more aggressive than others. Given your extensive knowledge and experience with the MIAA, I’m sure you can imagine which schools are spending the most money. For anyone close to any MIAA program, this is a relatively well-known occurrence and unfortunately comes with the territory if you want to be competitive.
It would certainly not be appropriate to name specific players, as these are teenagers we are talking about. And I’ll be honest, I don’t have all the specific names and numbers, but I do hear anecdotes from various people that paint most of the picture. To give a somewhat hypothetical example, JC’s tuition is around 20k, they might get a kid down to 8-12k per year. But then another school in the Baltimore area will offer that kid a full ride, or less than 5k for the year (depending on talent level). Yes, family income does play a role, but from what I hear it isn’t an exact formula and wiggle room exists for the top kids each year. When you consider that the base tuition of some of these other schools is much higher, they are spending significantly more to get down to those final offers.

I understand that the difference might be the money, but I'm thinking it's been more than that...

Right now, JC is essentially “half in” when it comes to the support side of it. They are getting some higher-level kids, but not enough to field a fully competitive team year in and year out. There are some standout players that can hold their own, but not nearly enough depth to truly compete. The current situation doesn’t serve anyone as they are basically stuck in limbo, too competitive for B, not quite competitive enough for A. Yes, investing further to bring in more of those elite kids each year would undoubtedly take away playing time from other kids, but that is the nature of a competitive program. There are kids on pretty much every A conference roster that could go elsewhere and get more playing time who choose to stay at those schools for a number of different reasons (legacy, tradition, want to be on a winning team, enjoy the competition or team culture, etc.).
What I meant by “best for the kids and the community” is that you would be giving kids in Harford county a legitimate place to go that’s right in their own backyard where they could get the same experience (or possibly better) versus if they traveled further. And it wouldn’t necessarily take “big money” as you say, just more than what is being given at the moment.
Ok, and I agree that to be competitive one definitely needs to be attractive as a place to go to school, academics, arts, athletics...and dough required.

However, what is puzzling to me about this decision to let the coach go is that unless he was being a huge pain in the neck to an embarrassing extent about his demands for more financial aid to support his recruiting, why would they be unhappy with the program doing better, attracting at least some of those kids to come and play good ball against tough competition?

The coach quitting because he wasn't getting enough support could make sense, but I don't see what the head of school and AD would gain by dismissing him.
JC Fan

Post by JC Fan »

Is JC having this success in keeping more by being more aggressive with dough, though not enough to keep all the top ones, or especially not the top ones? Or has better coaching elevated the program to be more attractive as a place where one can actually get noticed by college recruiters?
The recent success recruiting seems to be mostly due to coaching/recruiting efforts, and speaks to the culture that was being established.

Are we sure that the talent is actually leaving for $, or is it possibly be because the profile of some of those other schools is somehow more attractive?
There’s no doubt that the profile and tradition of the Baltimore schools is attractive. I’m sure that plays a role in the decision-making process, but when it’s also cheaper to go down there as well, that makes the decision much easier.
It’s already an uphill battle for a newcomer like JC to compete with the well-established teams of the A conference. There are always going to be some families that would choose to leave Harford solely because of the profile of some of those schools. But if JC wants to stay in the A and compete, they are going to have to at least close the money gap to have a chance. I’m not suggesting a bunch of full rides, but you can’t be 5-10k overpriced either.

However, what is puzzling to me about this decision to let the coach go is that unless he was being a huge pain in the neck to an embarrassing extent about his demands for more financial aid to support his recruiting, why would they be unhappy with the program doing better, attracting at least some of those kids to come and play good ball against tough competition?
The coach quitting because he wasn't getting enough support could make sense, but I don't see what the head of school and AD would gain by dismissing him.

Most logical people would agree with you. For those familiar to Harford county and JC in particular, this has been a trend for a while between the administration/leadership and coaches who find success and look to build something bigger. There has been a lot of turnover in that building in the past five or so years. Again, it goes back to the leadership and them being content with mediocrity when it comes to sports. They lack the vision to see the potential of using sports to grow the school’s brand and attract positive attention. They have a very antiquated, narrow, and elitist view of what the school could/should be in relation to the surrounding community.
I don’t know all the behind-the-scenes details or how much of a “pain in the neck” he was being to the admin. However, I do know for sure that he didn’t quit. My guess is that he was gaining traction in getting others to support his cause, both with people in the school and also the alumni. I’m assuming those in charge probably saw their own power/influence threatened by that, and they chose to pull the plug. The “why” seems to be what most of the parents within the program are upset and confused about, and so far there haven’t been any answers given. The more you dig and find out, the less it makes sense.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

My wife’s family on one side hs had a number through two generations go to JC but we’ve got a kid up at Bart who showed some promise in limited action from JC. Don’t know where he was on the JC hierarchy 2-3yes ago but Max Snellenberg looks like he could've played and been impactful at most any MIAA program.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

JC Fan - thanks for your thoughtful perspective. John Carroll is essentially a 'B' conference school athletically, right? What initiated the push to the 'A' conference for lacrosse? JC moved to the 'A' in 2015 (?) thinking they were going to keep the Harford County boys at home? I love what you have described about their coach who seems to be ALL ABOUT THE PLAYERS which is wonderful to hear!
JC Fan

Post by JC Fan »

They moved to the A starting in 2018 after winning three B titles in a row. As a school, they seem to be stuck in limbo between the A and the B. Boys and girls soccer and lacrosse are all A. Boys basketball is A, girls is B. Baseball is A. Football is B. Not 100% sure of other sports but it seems to be a mix. At times, certain sports have been competitive in the A for short periods of time, but it doesn’t seem to be sustainable long term unless the school makes the effort with financial support and hiring the right coaches. It would be hard to do that across the board for all sports, but then again the county’s population has increased and there seems to be opportunity for growth. It’s all about which direction school leadership wants to go. However, it doesn’t serve anyone to be in the A conference and then not be “all in” from a financial standpoint, especially for lacrosse. It’s too competitive.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I guess what disturbs me about this conversation isn't specific to any particular school, but rather the notion that a sport like lacrosse, and in this prosperous region, has competition of school versus rival school on the basis of scholarships unrelated to economic need.

At least in general, very few of the families we're talking about in the lax community in the Baltimore region aren't at least middle class, and most are upper middle. These are kids from families who choose private schools because they can afford to do so.

Most of the schools have need-based financial aid for the families where that's actually needed, whether partial or full...which I support wholeheartedly!

But what seems to be getting discussed is not need-based aid, but rather "merit aid" where "merit" is being defined specifically by lax prowess, not academic potential and ignoring financial need.

As financial aid isn't an unlimited pool of funds at any of these schools, that means that super kids who actually have serious financial need are not getting it, and instead monies are flowing to families who could afford more...of course, everyone likes an extra $10k a year...that's serious money for most of us, so I understand how it can move the needle all else equal...but Ugh...is winning really that important?
JC Fan

Post by JC Fan »

Unfortunately, you are correct. It has been happening for a decent amount of time and it has become increasingly worse in recent years. Especially with the growth and prominence of club lacrosse. It’s mostly about winning, and the “arms race” you talk of is a pretty accurate description. If you look at the club landscape, kids/families jump from club to club, looking to be on the best team each year. There are kids and families flying across the country or moving/buying a second home just for club lacrosse, and in some cases A conference lacrosse. It’s insane. And in my opinion, it completely undermines the purpose of high school athletics and the values/lessons they are supposed to reinforce.
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

And in my opinion, it completely undermines the purpose of high school athletics and the values/lessons they are supposed to reinforce.
Agree 100%
laxfanatic

Post by laxfanatic »

If JC put the same commitment into Lacrosse as they put into basketball they would compete for a title. The AD is a clown. He has no business being an ad. His only qualification is he was a gym teacher at ST Paul. However he is the basketball coach so he gets a pass.
When will the Alumni wake up and get rid of the current president, who btw boasts he was a lacrosse coach at Loyola ????? and the AD who has done more to ruin sports at JC then promote them..
LaxDog

Post by LaxDog »

So JC is right around the corner from us. My son shadowed, visited, and he strongly considered going there because of the coach. My son ended up going elsewhere because of overall school fit. But we have a couple good friends with kids on the lax team and who play other sports there. They have mentioned the following over the past couple years:

No one at games to run scoreboards or shotclocks. This complaint seemed to be pretty frequent.
No PA announcer, spotty anthem, lineups, warmup music support. Flagpole in endzone often empty.
Head coaches running stadium steps, 30 minutes before games, welcoming visiting team, directing traffic and buses instead of being with the team.
Referees showing up at wrong times. Athletic training staff spread thin or at other fields.
No updates to the athletic website whatsoever. Until this year they had the same lax roster up for 2-3 years. No announcement of all county awards on website, social media.
JV Practice fields not lined for a full season. Kids on JV deemed ineligible AFTER being cleared by play. Wins on the field later deemed forfeit losses?

One or two of these things isn't a deal breaker.

But ALL of these things combined is a complete failure by whosever is directing athletics over there.
JC Fan

Post by JC Fan »

The past 2 posts highlight part of the reason why the parents and alumni are upset due to the school parting ways with Reynolds. There have been some credible concerns regarding the competence of other individuals within the leadership of the building, and they chose to push away one of the more respected and competent individuals instead of addressing the legitimate concerns. You have to wonder if some of the people making decisions up there really have the kids’ best interests in mind.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Andersen wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:45 pm
And in my opinion, it completely undermines the purpose of high school athletics and the values/lessons they are supposed to reinforce.
Agree 100%
+1
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JC Fan wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:40 pm The past 2 posts highlight part of the reason why the parents and alumni are upset due to the school parting ways with Reynolds. There have been some credible concerns regarding the competence of other individuals within the leadership of the building, and they chose to push away one of the more respected and competent individuals instead of addressing the legitimate concerns. You have to wonder if some of the people making decisions up there really have the kids’ best interests in mind.
I dunno about some of the vitriol, but those sorts of complaints about a general lack of professionalism and staffing seem reasonable and credible.

I was reacting to the money for lax specific recruitment stuff and that's less palatable to me. And if that was what the coach had been demanding vociferously I'd see the boot as reaction being ok, a choice...but the other issues, if accurate, are far less excusable.

Those sorts of things send a message about professionalism, more than resources. Effort.

It's quite reasonable for parents to want their kids to be where professionalism and support, whether in class, or at drama, or in athletics is expected by all to be first rate. You want kids to be safe as well as encouraged to excel in whatever their passions are.

In sports that means, in addition to good coaching, the facilities maintained in good shape and prepared for competition, for training staff to be competent and available, and for a general attitude that 'details matter'.

I could give a hoot about national anthem, PA announcer, warm up music. Sure, some programs make a hoopla, but some do not at all.

If I was a coach, though, I'd get some of my players to help organize their classmates to join the team as managers, get the film and art and tech kids to take on filming and announcing, social media, etc. Takes some organization, and maybe a little alumni fundraising for equipment, but this doesn't need to be all supplied by the Athletic budget or go through the AD...of course, it does need to not be resisted by the AD...

Was the outgoing coach a good organizer of such, or did he expect the Athletic Dept to handle it all?
LaxDog

Post by LaxDog »

As far as I can tell, the issues weren't with the coach. He seemed very organized and had his act together. The practices we saw were tight, fast paced and engaging.

Our friends said multiple times that the athletic department was highly focused on the basketball team. It got the bulk of the resources, trips and financial aid. Even with higher international student tuition costs. Makes sense if the AD is the coach.

As for your other point, I was really impressed with what the JC kids were doing off the field. There was a community-first attitude that was pretty cool. It wasn't just a lax-first program. The coach was making the boys be active in their school and local community. Supporting other teams and school groups, fundraising for good causes, volunteering and being hands-on. My friends kid was hitting us up for Coat/shoe/sporting good drives for local elementary schools, delivering those items, charity fundraisers for families who lost kids, inspirational and honorary team members, bowling fundraisers, organizing 5ks. The team's outreach to the local community was absolutely awesome under Coach Reynolds. He was a good one. If the school wants to get rid of a guy like this, what do they really stand for?
JC Fan

Post by JC Fan »

LaxDog wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:14 am If the school wants to get rid of a guy like this, what do they really stand for?
This seems to be the question many in the community are asking, and no one in the school is willing to answer it or even acknowledge/discuss it.
laxfanatic

Post by laxfanatic »

That would be a disaster for Deemer. School isn't going to pay for a top coach, nor give the necessary support.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

laxfanatic wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:11 am That would be a disaster for Deemer. School isn't going to pay for a top coach, nor give the necessary support.
JC has shown the ability and willpower to support coaches and programs and have real success. In some of the most competitive sports in the nation.
It just depends if they want to.
But given what I'm hearing, no coach should go in without full visibility of the operating budget, or without control of the lacrosse financial aid piece.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”