Coaching Carousal

D2 Mens Lacrosse
D2fan

Re: Coaching Carousal

Post by D2fan »

Not hearing good things out of Mercyhurst.

“Chris Ryan was working miracles with the budget and coaching salary.”

Expect an underwhelming hire.
seventy7

Post by seventy7 »

McLax wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:36 am
Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:14 pm Not really a terrible idea, especially if you want to get into DI coaching. With camps at Queens and in the summer time he will be making around the same amount as he did at UAH. Huntsville also doesn't compare to Charlotte when it comes to way of life and considering Doyle played at Abbey, I'm sure he took that into consideration as well.
LW, not a challenge just a question, when was the last time you were in Huntsville? I’ve lived just North of Charlotte and in Huntsville. If you made that statement 10 years ago, or even 5 I might agree, but Huntsville consistently makes those best place to live lists and has turned into a really cool place to live. Not on Hville tourist board or anything just saying having lived near both I’d take Huntsville hands down.

As to Doyle (if this turns out to be true), his players like him but he hasn’t been able to put the team to the next level wether it’s recruiting or coaching (or a little of both). With the Peach Belt Conference issues maybe he just feels it’s time to make a change. I can’t argue the point about wanting to coach D1 if someone feels this is their best path although a D2 team that did not dominate moving up feels like it will be a painful experience.

I will say that the UAH AD seems to be onboard with lacrosse and they are building a new complex with turf fields and home and away field houses. Maybe a coaching change was in the works.
You sound like a disgruntled father. The guy took a full time D1 defensive coordinator position. Seems like a good move for his future.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:03 am UDC Filled:

https://www.udcfirebirds.com/general/20 ... 0814ri543s
An opportunity very much deserved for this fine young man. It’s about time they gave him a chance.
McLax

Post by McLax »

seventy7 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:09 am
McLax wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:36 am
Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:14 pm Not really a terrible idea, especially if you want to get into DI coaching. With camps at Queens and in the summer time he will be making around the same amount as he did at UAH. Huntsville also doesn't compare to Charlotte when it comes to way of life and considering Doyle played at Abbey, I'm sure he took that into consideration as well.
LW, not a challenge just a question, when was the last time you were in Huntsville? I’ve lived just North of Charlotte and in Huntsville. If you made that statement 10 years ago, or even 5 I might agree, but Huntsville consistently makes those best place to live lists and has turned into a really cool place to live. Not on Hville tourist board or anything just saying having lived near both I’d take Huntsville hands down.

As to Doyle (if this turns out to be true), his players like him but he hasn’t been able to put the team to the next level wether it’s recruiting or coaching (or a little of both). With the Peach Belt Conference issues maybe he just feels it’s time to make a change. I can’t argue the point about wanting to coach D1 if someone feels this is their best path although a D2 team that did not dominate moving up feels like it will be a painful experience.

I will say that the UAH AD seems to be onboard with lacrosse and they are building a new complex with turf fields and home and away field houses. Maybe a coaching change was in the works.
You sound like a disgruntled father. The guy took a full time D1 defensive coordinator position. Seems like a good move for his future.
No definitely not. What’s to be disgruntled about? I got to watch my son play 4 years of the game he loves while getting his degree. He had a great experience and likes Doyle, so do I.

Rereading my post it might sound like that. Just thinking out loud that UAH has not had the success of some of the teams on their same timeline (UIndy) and if a change is inevitable try to make the best of it.

I’m just a fan who gets to watch a few games a season. Wish Doyle the best whatever he decides.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

McLax wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:49 am Wish Doyle the best whatever he decides.
https://queensathletics.com/news/2023/8 ... coach.aspx

Looks like its official.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Does anyone have any insight on Mercyhurst? Seems like it’s been open for a while and move in day is this weekend with classes starting next week!
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

StuckinD2 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:30 am Does anyone have any insight on Mercyhurst? Seems like it’s been open for a while and move in day is this weekend with classes starting next week!
Haven't heard anything at all.
But, I did see that a 2024 just committed there 2 days ago. He has to be talking to a coach, right?
Der Henker 66

Post by Der Henker 66 »

They are on Campus, The timeline the school told the Boys is labor day they will have a coach in place
but as of right now they dont have a coach, the 24 that committed did so on his own
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

Wow! Good for them!
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Doxology wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:00 pm
Wow! Good for them!
Huge get for ER.. Jez is a good dude and really had Post moving in the right direction for what they had!
Yeti_33

Post by Yeti_33 »

Curious if Mercyhurst had Jez in at all for an interview
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Yeti_33 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:49 pm Curious if Mercyhurst had Jez in at all for an interview
Did not hear his name.

It does sound like Hurst ponied up some more for salary and went out and made a good hire.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

D2fan wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:09 pm
Yeti_33 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:49 pm Curious if Mercyhurst had Jez in at all for an interview
Did not hear his name.

It does sound like Hurst ponied up some more for salary and went out and made a good hire.
Any clues?
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

lax13

Post by lax13 »

StuckinD2 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:20 am https://hurstathletics.com/news/2023/8/ ... coach.aspx

Trey Keeley Named HC
Not D2 related necessarily, but his moving probably means another D3 head coach opening in NE Ohio as they fill his spot at CSU.
Marooned

Post by Marooned »

"https://hurstathletics.com/news/2023/8/ ... coach.aspx

Trey Keeley Named HC"

This is a great hire for Mercyhurst.
Yeti_33

Post by Yeti_33 »

D2fan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:54 pm Wow, no more Chris Ryan.

Erie is a tough place to sell, so it will be an interesting applicant pool. But obviously Ryan proved you can build a consistent contender at Mercyhurst. Team seems to returning a good chunk with AA's Gleason, McCard, Morley and Landymore. So the cupboard isn't bare for the next head coach.

Below are a couple names I speculate will be considered for the Mercyhurst job. These are my own opinions.

Current Associate Head Coach
Ryan O’Hagan
-Very well regarded assistant. I think is one of the big reasons Hurst has been back in the top 5 the last couple of years. However, I have heard he plans to join the Mount staff.

Mercyhurst Alumni
Greg Stocks- UIndy Head Coach
-His resume speaks for himself, he’s been in conversations for other jobs. But I’d think UIndy to Mercyhurst is a lateral move.

Ryan Sullivan- UTampa Assistant
-2022 Assistant Coach of the Year. Been at Tampa a long time. Also an Upstate NY guy.

Other D2 Coaches
Chris Isle- Seton Hill Assistant
-Long time Seton Hill assistant. Central NY guy and has strong connections to Western PA.

Sam Ashton- Lake Erie Head Coach
-Lake Erie has been slowly improving back to their mid 2010 form.

Kevin Kelley- Rockhurst Head Coach
-He’s an Upstate NY guy. Could want to get back closer to home.

Successful D1/D3 Coaches in the area
Trey Keeley- Cleveland St. Assistant
Adrian Torok-Orban- Robert Morris Assistant
Gill Connors- St. Bonaventure Associate Head Coach
Alec Jernstedt- Grove City Head Coach
Joe Rautenstrauch- John Carroll Head Coach
May have been a wide net, but D2fan did speculate this one as a possibility

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”