Coaching Carousal

D2 Mens Lacrosse
GaitsRightHand

Re: Coaching Carousal

Post by GaitsRightHand »

seventy7 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:03 pm
D2fan wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:54 pm Wow, no more Chris Ryan.

Erie is a tough place to sell, so it will be an interesting applicant pool. But obviously Ryan proved you can build a consistent contender at Mercyhurst. Team seems to returning a good chunk with AA's Gleason, McCard, Morley and Landymore. So the cupboard isn't bare for the next head coach.

Below are a couple names I speculate will be considered for the Mercyhurst job. These are my own opinions.

Current Associate Head Coach
Ryan O’Hagan
-Very well regarded assistant. I think is one of the big reasons Hurst has been back in the top 5 the last couple of years. However, I have heard he plans to join the Mount staff.

Mercyhurst Alumni
Greg Stocks- UIndy Head Coach
-His resume speaks for himself, he’s been in conversations for other jobs. But I’d think UIndy to Mercyhurst is a lateral move.

Ryan Sullivan- UTampa Assistant
-2022 Assistant Coach of the Year. Been at Tampa a long time. Also an Upstate NY guy.
It has to be Stocks right? His name has been linked with the last few openings and he is an alum. I would have to think that Mercyhurst would want to keep/build on what Chris Ryan did. No one better than an alum who played under him.
He applied for Tampa, Canisius and Queens. Uindy to Mercyhurst is a pretty lateral move. Seems like he was going for "vertical" moves.

But, money talks.

Also- Mercyhurst AD moved to Mount Saint Mary's and then hired CR. So different AD could mean different pay...
seventy7

Post by seventy7 »

Mercyhurst just played in the National Championship. With no Le Moyne, the path to the Championship is easier in the North than the South now. It will be interesting to see how it plays out as we creep into August.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Maryville AC Josh Coons to Mars Hill as Head Coach.

He was frontrunner for Northwood but turned it down.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:09 am Maryville AC Josh Coons to Mars Hill as Head Coach.

He was frontrunner for Northwood but turned it down.
Awesome for Coach Coons great guy that grinds!

I’m surprised we haven’t heard much if anything about Embry Riddle at this point. It opened before Mars Hill. You’d think there would be some movement by now. Has anyone heard anything?
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

seventy7 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:25 am Mercyhurst just played in the National Championship. With no Le Moyne, the path to the Championship is easier in the North than the South now. It will be interesting to see how it plays out as we creep into August.
I checked out Mercyhurst Website. Football coach just retired after 20 years, Hockey coach been there 36 years, Basketball coach been there 21 years, Baseball coach been there 24 years, Wrestling coach been there 20 years Ryan just left after 23 years. Maybe Erie's not as bad as we think.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Heard that UAH Head Coach Doyle is leaving for Queens Volunteer... weird if true.
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

Weird is right, leaving a DII Head Coaching job to be a Volunteer Asst? I could see leaving to be a Full Asst at a DI but not a volunteer asst. Is UAH that bad?
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

LaxCoach13 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:47 pm Weird is right, leaving a DII Head Coaching job to be a Volunteer Asst? I could see leaving to be a Full Asst at a DI but not a volunteer asst. Is UAH that bad?
I'm pretty sure all D1 "volunteers" are now paid assistants. But these guys must have thought them together as a staff is something special, Mars Hill former HC also left HC job to coach at Queens...
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Not really a terrible idea, especially if you want to get into DI coaching. With camps at Queens and in the summer time he will be making around the same amount as he did at UAH. Huntsville also doesn't compare to Charlotte when it comes to way of life and considering Doyle played at Abbey, I'm sure he took that into consideration as well.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Caldwell is open, again.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

UDC open.
relaxedfan

Post by relaxedfan »

I believe Peter Milliman left the HC job at Phiffer, the year after getting coach of the year and having that team to 10 in D2, for the volunteer position at Princeton. He's the HC at JHU now so I'm thinking it was a good move for him?
McLax

Post by McLax »

Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:14 pm Not really a terrible idea, especially if you want to get into DI coaching. With camps at Queens and in the summer time he will be making around the same amount as he did at UAH. Huntsville also doesn't compare to Charlotte when it comes to way of life and considering Doyle played at Abbey, I'm sure he took that into consideration as well.
LW, not a challenge just a question, when was the last time you were in Huntsville? I’ve lived just North of Charlotte and in Huntsville. If you made that statement 10 years ago, or even 5 I might agree, but Huntsville consistently makes those best place to live lists and has turned into a really cool place to live. Not on Hville tourist board or anything just saying having lived near both I’d take Huntsville hands down.

As to Doyle (if this turns out to be true), his players like him but he hasn’t been able to put the team to the next level wether it’s recruiting or coaching (or a little of both). With the Peach Belt Conference issues maybe he just feels it’s time to make a change. I can’t argue the point about wanting to coach D1 if someone feels this is their best path although a D2 team that did not dominate moving up feels like it will be a painful experience.

I will say that the UAH AD seems to be onboard with lacrosse and they are building a new complex with turf fields and home and away field houses. Maybe a coaching change was in the works.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:34 pm Caldwell is open, again.
That was quick -

https://caldwellathletics.com/news/2023 ... coach.aspx
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:41 am
That was quick -

Great kid and hard worker. I'm sure he will do well.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

relaxedfan wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:24 pm I believe Peter Milliman left the HC job at Phiffer, the year after getting coach of the year and having that team to 10 in D2, for the volunteer position at Princeton. He's the HC at JHU now so I'm thinking it was a good move for him?
Queens just isn't Princeton.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

River Donkey wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:51 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:41 am
That was quick -

Great kid and hard worker. I'm sure he will do well.
I’ve heard some bad things about the athletic department at CU - I’m sure he’s a great kid but sometimes you can’t fight the administration and make it work. From Klank to lopes it seems like it’s gotten worse - I live nearby so I’d love to see CU succeed.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

McLax wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:36 am LW, not a challenge just a question, when was the last time you were in Huntsville? I’ve lived just North of Charlotte and in Huntsville. If you made that statement 10 years ago, or even 5 I might agree, but Huntsville consistently makes those best place to live lists and has turned into a really cool place to live. Not on Hville tourist board or anything just saying having lived near both I’d take Huntsville hands down.

As to Doyle (if this turns out to be true), his players like him but he hasn’t been able to put the team to the next level wether it’s recruiting or coaching (or a little of both). With the Peach Belt Conference issues maybe he just feels it’s time to make a change. I can’t argue the point about wanting to coach D1 if someone feels this is their best path although a D2 team that did not dominate moving up feels like it will be a painful experience.

I will say that the UAH AD seems to be onboard with lacrosse and they are building a new complex with turf fields and home and away field houses. Maybe a coaching change was in the works.

Last time I was in Huntsville was in 21, right after Covid "slowed down". The Holiday inn Express I stayed in was solid and no complaints . So yes I have been to both cities and areas around the colleges. Have you seen the area around Queens and that part of Charlotte? Certain parts of Mecklenburg county? Disappointed the epi-center is long gone but still a vibrant night life in the Queen City. YMMV but I am taking Charlotte over Huntsville.

When it comes to Doyle, what more can he do at UAH? He has more wins in 3 years, than McGowan had in 5 years. Only had one year under .500 and that was his first year with 3 one goal losses to Colorado Mesa, Lander (double OT) and Westminster . Wins this year against Lewis (top 20 at the time) Maryville, St.Leo. They lost in the PBC semis, by one goal to Lander, the eventual champion. Not too bad, IMO.

Good luck to him and his future endeavors.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Leonard Washington wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:43 pm
McLax wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:36 am LW, not a challenge just a question, when was the last time you were in Huntsville? I’ve lived just North of Charlotte and in Huntsville. If you made that statement 10 years ago, or even 5 I might agree, but Huntsville consistently makes those best place to live lists and has turned into a really cool place to live. Not on Hville tourist board or anything just saying having lived near both I’d take Huntsville hands down.

Last time I was in Huntsville was in 21, right after Covid "slowed down". The Holiday inn Express I stayed in was solid and no complaints . So yes I have been to both cities and areas around the colleges. Have you seen the area around Queens and that part of Charlotte? Certain parts of Mecklenburg county? Disappointed the epi-center is long gone but still a vibrant night life in the Queen City. YMMV but I am taking Charlotte over Huntsville.

When it comes to Doyle, what more can he do at UAH? He has more wins in 3 years, than McGowan had in 5 years. Only had one year under .500 and that was his first year with 3 one goal losses to Colorado Mesa, Lander (double OT) and Westminster . Wins this year against Lewis (top 20 at the time) Maryville, St.Leo. They lost in the PBC semis, by one goal to Lander, the eventual champion. Not too bad, IMO.

Good luck to him and his future endeavors.
Doyle did well there.

Always felt like UAH was a sleeping giant. They have about 10k kids... most D2's dont have half of that. Pretty fun area, good academics (engineering major is a good sell), and D1 hockey team. Not very good, but still a D1 team to support on campus.

But, a lot of kids get turned off when they hear Alabama..
Laxplayer9191

Post by Laxplayer9191 »

Holy family coach has left even before their first season as a program via a commit. Going to don Bosco prep. They are due to start d2 this spring

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”