Maryland 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Maryland75

Maryland 2022

Post by Maryland75 »

Maryland has had a very successful start to this season but seems to get no respect. Granted they will not play their usual high powered schedule dropping UNC and Syracuse plus Penn and JMU are not where they thought they would be. They have apparently been very successful in transitioning their transfers to give them needed experience. Cordingley at her current pace is looking like a Tewie finalist and the addition of Bosco has given needed strength to their defense. They have demonstrated they have multiple scoring acumen with Leubecker, Smith, May and Griffin plus Clevenger being strong in finding the scorers. Even goaltending seems to be steady at this point. What does everyone see that I'm missing?
seacoaster

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by seacoaster »

Maryland75 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:40 pm Maryland has had a very successful start to this season but seems to get no respect. Granted they will not play their usual high powered schedule dropping UNC and Syracuse plus Penn and JMU are not where they thought they would be. They have apparently been very successful in transitioning their transfers to give them needed experience. Cordingley at her current pace is looking like a Tewie finalist and the addition of Bosco has given needed strength to their defense. They have demonstrated they have multiple scoring acumen with Leubecker, Smith, May and Griffin plus Clevenger being strong in finding the scorers. Even goaltending seems to be steady at this point. What does everyone see that I'm missing?
"Seems to get no respect"? I have to disagree.

Terps are No. 3 in the USA Lacrosse Poll this morning, and No. 4 in the IWLCA poll. That's rarified air, behind BC and UNC, and right with Northwestern and Syracuse, depending on the poll. Candidly, I think they look like a very good team...but Maryland hasn't played anyone of consequence yet. They've beaten St. Joe's (3-4), UVA (4-5), Florida (2-4), Delaware (2-5), William & Mary (2-4) and Villanova 92-6), and gave up twice as many goals to Villanova than Rutgers did in the process. I've got them in the 5, 6, 7 range these days, so I think the pollsters who matter (not me) are giving them about 30 metric tons of respect.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Maryland75 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:40 pm Maryland has had a very successful start to this season but seems to get no respect. Granted they will not play their usual high powered schedule dropping UNC and Syracuse plus Penn and JMU are not where they thought they would be. They have apparently been very successful in transitioning their transfers to give them needed experience. Cordingley at her current pace is looking like a Tewie finalist and the addition of Bosco has given needed strength to their defense. They have demonstrated they have multiple scoring acumen with Leubecker, Smith, May and Griffin plus Clevenger being strong in finding the scorers. Even goaltending seems to be steady at this point. What does everyone see that I'm missing?
If you are talking about recognition specifically on this forum - I have seen some posts that compliment Maryland, particularly their composure and game awareness. The posts that mention this aren't entirely dedicated to MD (usually about another team but use MD as a comparison) or on a MD dedicated thread - so they may be difficult to find/easy to miss. I think their games against Virginia and Florida told people that they are closer to their 2019 form than expected, but two games is a small sample size. Perhaps they are waiting for the upcoming game against Rutgers at least, before fully forming any opinions. At least, I know I am
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Here’s to hoping for the 16th natty and whining and moaning.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:15 pm Here’s to hoping for the 16th natty and whining and moaning.
Keep hoping. From what I have seen, both UNC and BC would beat MD. Not sure about anyone else, so I'll give you 3rd place.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:30 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:15 pm Here’s to hoping for the 16th natty and whining and moaning.
Keep hoping. From what I have seen, both UNC and BC would beat MD. Not sure about anyone else, so I'll give you 3rd place.
I thought UMD beat Florida much worse than UNC did.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I think UNC and BC both beat MD by at least 5 goals if not more. Even on an off day I think those 2 teams are much better. They would both negate MD's best offensive player and MD would struggle to stop both high powered offenses. You then have the fact that MD is untested and would not be ready for the overall talent and athleticism of either team. I hope MD gets a shot at one of them in the tournament.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:05 pm
Well, that was just my opinion.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Comparing two teams based on how badly they both beat one common opponent isn't normally indicative of anything. Also, Florida scored 3 or 4 goals in garbage time to make that game appear closer than it ever was.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

laxer12 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:11 pm
Comparing two teams based on how badly they both beat one common opponent isn't normally indicative of anything. Also, Florida scored 3 or 4 goals in garbage time to make that game appear closer than it ever was.

True but it’s the best data set to go on. Especially since UMD had a running clock on common opponent.

I think UMD with 9 or 10 underarmour AAs on the scout team (including last years number 2 and number 3 recruits) has a great team development opportunity even though they don’t play unc or Syracuse this year.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

A scout team can't prepare people for UNC and BC's talent. Many think UNC has the best goalie, midfielder, defender and goalie in the country. Worse case they are each top 3 in their position in the country and you think non-starters at UMD will prepare them for that level of talent and athleticism. Good luck. The same is true of BC. NW thought their inter-squad scrimmages would prepare them for Cuse last year in the final four and they were overwhelmed and admitted that they were not prepared because they did not play tough ACC competition during the year.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

The only Acc teams that appear great are BC and UNC and they only have one tough game with each other. Syracuse seems on the same level as Duke and Florida.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:44 pm A scout team can't prepare people for UNC and BC's talent. Many think UNC has the best goalie, midfielder, defender and goalie in the country. Worse case they are each top 3 in their position in the country and you think non-starters at UMD will prepare them for that level of talent and athleticism. Good luck. The same is true of BC. NW thought their inter-squad scrimmages would prepare them for Cuse last year in the final four and they were overwhelmed and admitted that they were not prepared because they did not play tough ACC competition during the year.
Northwestern doesn’t have 10 underarmour recruits and 2,top 5 recruits on their scout team.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:10 pm I think UNC and BC both beat MD by at least 5 goals if not more. Even on an off day I think those 2 teams are much better. They would both negate MD's best offensive player and MD would struggle to stop both high powered offenses. You then have the fact that MD is untested and would not be ready for the overall talent and athleticism of either team. I hope MD gets a shot at one of them in the tournament.
We have to remember, it's all about getting better throughout the season. Winning a championship is a marathon, not a sprint. Look at BC last year ... or JMU a few years back. Or Va Tech Hokies MBB ( :lol: , Coach K who has not won an ACC or Natty title since he jumped on the one and done train)
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

This is laughable. UMD's scout team (no matter what their paper resumes say) is not going to prepare them well for UNC who has a starting team loaded with multi-year AA players. Same for facing CN and BC. Not sure why UMD ducked UNC and other top teams this year but I think in the long run they will regret doing so just like NW last year. UMD does not have a chance to beat either team IMO and certainly can not navigate beating 5 NCAA Tournament teams to win a Natty Champ. Do you disagree?
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:26 pm This is laughable. UMD's scout team (no matter what their paper resumes say) is not going to prepare them well for UNC who has a starting team loaded with multi-year AA players. Same for facing CN and BC. Not sure why UMD ducked UNC and other top teams this year but I think in the long run they will regret doing so just like NW last year. UMD does not have a chance to beat either team IMO and certainly can not navigate beating 5 NCAA Tournament teams to win a Natty Champ. Do you disagree?
Although the Terps dominated Florida much more than UNC did I cant tell yet. the Terps are worlds better than they were last year and the coach has more championships than all the acc coaches put together so I’m optimistic
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I wish them well and hope they make a run this year. I just don't see them watching up well with UNC or BC especially if not battle tested during the year. Florida is not a very good team, they are not well coached and they have zero discipline. BC caught lightning in a bottle last year because their tough schedule allowed them to get better each week. They played Cuse 4 times, ND 3 times, Duke, and UNC twice. Their defense got better as the season went on out of necessity. They learned from their losses and put together schemes and game plans to fit their opponent.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

There seems to be a love affair with UNC and BC and all the talent they have. Between the two schools they have a combined 3 National Championships. Coaching plays a great deal in winning those Championships. UNC has had great talent for years and only has two Championships to show for it. Likewise BC has been in 4 straight Championship games with only one win. Don’t ever short the Cathy Reese’s and Kelly Amonte’s of the Lacrosse world ( or even Chris Sailer of Princeton with three championships).
Last edited by Maryland75 on Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Maryland75 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:03 pm There seems to be a love affair with UNC and BC and all the talent they have. Between the two schools they have a combined 3 National Championships. Coaching plays a great deal in winning those Championships. UNC has had great talent for years and only has two Championships to show for it. Likewise BC has been in 4 straight Championship games with only one win. Don’t ever shirt the Cathy Reese’s and Kelly Amonte’s of the Lacrosse world ( or even Chris Sailer of Princeton with three championships).
Maybe if Maryland had not ducked playing Cuse or UNC we would have had a better idea of how they are. I, for one, would have loved to see both games.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

No love affair here with UNC. I personally think JL has underachieved big time with all their talent each year. I'm intrigued by the 4 year run BC is on and how quickly they reloaded. I think it is a combination of talent and coaching. UMD and NW are well coached but are their coaches so exceptional that they can win it all with their current rosters. IMO no. Give the UMD roster to Spallina and in my opinion you would have a better chance. He does more with the talent he has each year than any coach in history.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”