ISL

HS Boys Lacrosse
Laxxal22

Re: ISL

Post by Laxxal22 »

Superlite wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:21 pm Upton is in a bunch of the highlights (for the MIAA team) from the game
I didn't quite understand this until finally watching the highlights today. Ouch.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

With the club season winding down and NESCAC 2024 commitments beginning on 8/1 I figured I'd start compiling the list of 2024 commits that have happened since the end of the spring season. Please add any I've missed. Also, to those of you who have reached out to me in the past with info or feedback, I'm getting rid of my Twitter account (it's a cesspool at this point) but can still be reached by DMs here or at laxxal22 on Instagram. Hope everyone is having a great summer.

D1 Commits
Declan Reilly - Def, Belmont Hill - Fairfield
Ben Dibattista - Att, Belmont Hill - Lafayette
Brendan Fulham - Def, St. Seb's - Duke
Ronan Schipani - Lsm/Def, Tabor - Fairfield (as a 2025)
Mitch Kavey - Mid, Tabor - Loyola (as a 2025)
Colin Maloney - Lsm, Govs - Marquette

D2 Commits
Nick Berglund - Mid, Govs - Bentley
Tim Bengston - Mid, Tabor - Assumption (football & lacrosse)

D3 Commits
Jackson Chase - Att, Tabor - Gettysburg
Ty Samson - Att, Middlesex - Skidmore
Will Gaynor - Att, Lawrence Academy - Union
Nik Barnes - Att, St. George's - Trinity
Joshua Do - Att, Rivers - Swarthmore
Sam DeGrappo - Att, Milton - Oberlin
Louie Varadi - Att, BB&N - Conn College
Sean Horkan - Att/Mid, Belmont Hill - Conn College
Luke Handy - Att/Mid, Tabor - Skidmore
Jack Schneider - Mid, Belmont Hill - St. Lawrence
Henry Rome - Mid, BB&N - Babson
Matthew Collina - Mid, Govs - Colorado College
Patrick Keegan - Mid, Groton - RPI
Bayard Plumb - Mid, St. George’s - Gettysburg
Cormac Walsh - Mid, St. Seb's - Bowdoin
Max Proia - Mid, St. Seb's - Colby
Conrad Langenhagen - Mid, Thayer - Union
Finn Holland - Mid, Thayer - Union
Henry Tweedy - Mid, Nobles - Tufts
Patrick Albers - Mid, Nobles - Bowdoin
Henry Powell - Mid, St. George's - Kenyon
Liam Teto - Mid, Lawrence Academy - Skidmore
Andrew Higgins - Faceoff, Nobles - Hamilton
Will Lavalee - Faceoff, Milton - Trinity
Charlie Kantaros - LSM, Rivers - Union
Sean DiLallo - Lsm, Roxbury Latin - Haverford
Jimmy Carlin - Def, St. George’s - Conn College
Amos Lawrence - Def, Groton - Middlebury
Ethan Ferrant - Def, Govs - Dickinson
Silas Hamblett - Goal, Milton Academy - Wesleyan
Marc Gadbois - Goal, St. Mark’s - Skidmore
Andrew Almquist - Goal, Govs - Babson

Flips
Jackson Henehan - Faceoff, Thayer - Harvard (from BU)

PGs
Tommy Schwartz - Def, Nobles/Deerfield - Middlebury
Ralph Vogel - Mid, Milton Academy/Deerfield - Williams
Auggie Smartwood - Def, Lawrence Academy/NMH - Denison
Last edited by Laxxal22 on Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:44 am, edited 33 times in total.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Question for those of you more in the know about the recruiting process. There are a few high-academic rising seniors who I thought could/still might snag late Ivy or Patriot League offers, but it's probably looking like NESCAC with those offers starting on 8/1. Obviously NESCAC coach to player contact is limited but through club coaches and other avenues how informed/confident are players that Tufts, Amherst, etc. will be calling on Tuesday? Do many of these kids already know where they're going (provided Admissions plays along) and they're just waiting to make it official? Or have they forgone other opportunities in the hope the phone rings on Tuesday?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:34 pm With the club season winding down and NESCAC 2024 commitments beginning on 8/1 I figured I'd start compiling the list of 2024 commits that have happened since the end of the spring season. Please add any I've missed. Also, to those of you who have reached out to me in the past with info or feedback, I'm getting rid of my Twitter account (it's a cesspool at this point) but can still be reached by DMs here or at laxxal22 on Instagram. Hope everyone is having a great summer.

D1 Commits
Declan Reilly - Def, Belmont Hill - Fairfield
Ben Dibattista - Att, Belmont Hill - Lafayette

D3 Commits
Jackson Chase - Att, Tabor - Gettysburg
Ty Samson - Att, Govs - Skidmore
Marc Gadbois - Goal, St. Mark’s - Skidmore
Andrew Almquist - Goal, Govs - Babson
Patrick Keegan - Mid, Groton - RPI

Flips
Jackson Henehan - Faceoff, Thayer - Harvard (from BU)
Ethan Winterbottom at Governors has been committed to Bart for a little bit. Seems like a nice D pole.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:09 pm Question for those of you more in the know about the recruiting process. There are a few high-academic rising seniors who I thought could/still might snag late Ivy or Patriot League offers, but it's probably looking like NESCAC with those offers starting on 8/1. Obviously NESCAC coach to player contact is limited but through club coaches and other avenues how informed/confident are players that Tufts, Amherst, etc. will be calling on Tuesday? Do many of these kids already know where they're going (provided Admissions plays along) and they're just waiting to make it official? Or have they forgone other opportunities in the hope the phone rings on Tuesday?
https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-lacross ... s-calendar

I have no idea how many, if any, slots remain available at Ivies or Patriots this year, but, if I'm not mistaken, the calls can come up to August 14...August 15-31 is a dead period for recruiting calls. Coaches' focus come September 1 will be the rising junior calls, though it's not impossible for something to change in the fall, perhaps because someone didn't make it through the admissions cut...though that's extremely rare at that point...kinda gotta screw up somehow.

But calls definitely get made this late.

My son received one of those late calls in early August from an Ivy, one of last recruits selected by that coach that year. Happened to be his #1 target since sophomore year, so was quite welcome! He'd have most likely gone to one of the NESCAC's had that call not come in. He didn't start on his HS team until that coming senior spring, so coach had needed to see him play a whole lot of times over that summer. The kid at his position the year ahead had been the #1 tender recruit in the nation, so coach hadn't felt anxious about adding another his year...so a late decision.

I don't know about the announcement stuff these days, but if there's actually been a slot promised by the coach "subject to admissions", it's usually after admissions has already seen the recruits' #'s for a "read"...coaches in the Ivies, and presumably any of the more selective schools, don't offer blind to academics. So, it's pretty much a lock as long as you act decently in the admissions interview and your transcript looks as promised, your essays make sense. So, can be confident unless something's amiss.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Yes, I haven't included Winterbottom on this list as he committed in the fall and I've got this list going for those who've committed post spring season. Ironically the kid who I had as the top player with known Ivy interest but perhaps was going NESCAC due to the delay in an announcement just stated his commitment to Duke earlier this evening.
WU2001

Post by WU2001 »

Samson goes to Middlesex I thought
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:20 pm Yes, I haven't included Winterbottom on this list as he committed in the fall and I've got this list going for those who've committed post spring season. Ironically the kid who I had as the top player with known Ivy interest but perhaps was going NESCAC due to the delay in an announcement just stated his commitment to Duke earlier this evening.
My bad I misread or misunderstood.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

WU2001 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:09 pm Samson goes to Middlesex I thought
You’re right. I get Govs/Groton/Middlesex jumbled in the brain sometimes.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:09 pm Question for those of you more in the know about the recruiting process. There are a few high-academic rising seniors who I thought could/still might snag late Ivy or Patriot League offers, but it's probably looking like NESCAC with those offers starting on 8/1. Obviously NESCAC coach to player contact is limited but through club coaches and other avenues how informed/confident are players that Tufts, Amherst, etc. will be calling on Tuesday? Do many of these kids already know where they're going (provided Admissions plays along) and they're just waiting to make it official? Or have they forgone other opportunities in the hope the phone rings on Tuesday?
Interesting question, not sure how this is working these days and would be interested to hear form someone who has recently gone through the process (smoova?) I suspect that many of the top players/applicants have a pretty good idea they are getting a phone call but certainly not all and there is obviously no guarantee that a previous, supposed to be at best second hand, verbal promise will actually come to fruition. It is always a tricky game to turn down concrete opportunities for the possible promise of something better.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:00 pm

I have no idea how many, if any, slots remain available at Ivies or Patriots this year, but, if I'm not mistaken, the calls can come up to August 14...August 15-31 is a dead period for recruiting calls. Coaches' focus come September 1 will be the rising junior calls, though it's not impossible for something to change in the fall, perhaps because someone didn't make it through the admissions cut...though that's extremely rare at that point...kinda gotta screw up somehow.

My son received one of those late calls in early August from an Ivy, one of last recruits selected by that coach that year. Happened to be his #1 target since sophomore year, so was quite welcome! He'd have most likely gone to one of the NESCAC's had that call not come in. He didn't start on his HS team until that coming senior spring, so coach had needed to see him play a whole lot of times over that summer. The kid at his position the year ahead had been the #1 tender recruit in the nation, so coach hadn't felt anxious about adding another his year...so a late decision.

I don't know about the announcement stuff these days, but if there's actually been a slot promised by the coach "subject to admissions", it's usually after admissions has already seen the recruits' #'s for a "read"...coaches in the Ivies, and presumably any of the more selective schools, don't offer blind to academics. So, it's pretty much a lock as long as you act decently in the admissions interview and your transcript looks as promised, your essays make sense. So, can be confident unless something's amiss.
Agree mostly with what was said above as well as below that many recruits have an “idea” that they have a good chance to be recruited by a NESCAC which is probably why d3 # of commits are down as compared to previous years. But if I’m not mistaken 8/1 is the start of the pre-read process, not necessarily the offer process

I do know for a fact that there are still (a) spot(s) open at the ivy’s. In addition they have said that they are always recruiting up until the time the recruit steps on campus because they have been burned by decommits in the past. There are some non icy schools though that are done and have moved on to 2025.

Good luck to your son, hope he hears some good news.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

justanotherperson wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:01 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:00 pm

Agree mostly with what was said above as well as below that many recruits have an “idea” that they have a good chance to be recruited by a NESCAC which is probably why d3 # of commits are down as compared to previous years. But if I’m not mistaken 8/1 is the start of the pre-read process, not necessarily the offer process

I do know for a fact that there are still (a) spot(s) open at the ivy’s. In addition they have said that they are always recruiting up until the time the recruit steps on campus because they have been burned by decommits in the past. There are some non icy schools though that are done and have moved on to 2025.

Good luck to your son, hope he hears some good news.
:D mine got that call in early August 2011. Graduated college in 2016.

But good luck to anyone now going through this process...my view was always that if you're even in the hunt for this sort of school, lots to be happy about...it'll be a great opportunity wherever you or your kid lands. We'd have certainly been happy with the next set of possibilities.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:16 pm my view was always that if you're even in the hunt for this sort of school, lots to be happy about...
Great point. If you're getting interest for Ivy, Patriot, NESCAC, or Liberty League schools you're positioned for a strong education and post college opportunities.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Recruitment for the class of 2025 is officially underway. Not sure how they stack up nationally but by ISL standards it’s a very strong class with both high end players and depth across positions. The midfield is especially deep but midfield is the strength of the class nationally according to this piece: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... lass/62006

I’ll start a thread tracking 2025 commits once they begin, but the 2024 commits that I know of are below. Congrats to all. It has to be a nice feeling starting senior year with the destination clear and just having to land the plane.

It's definitely a good group. Outside of goalies they're stronger at every position than the 2023s imo. There’s still another dozen or so kids I could see playing strong D3. I’m sure a few will go that route, but others may opt for a different sport, choose a school where club is the option, or be content as a former athlete once they get to college.

Please let me know if there are any that I missed or if I have the wrong club affiliation - that stuff can get confusing.

Belmont Hill
Will Stewart - Att - Villanova (3D New England)
Ben Dibattista - Att - Lafayette (3D New England)
Sean Horkan - Att/Mid - Conn College (Fighting Clams)
Jack Schneider - Mid - St. Lawrence (Laxachusetts)
Finn Fox - Lsm/Def - Princeton (Laxachusetts)
Declan Reilly - Def - Fairfield (New England Twisters)

BB&N
Louie Varadi - Att - Conn College (3D New England)
Henry Rome - Mid - Babson (3D New England)
Henry Waisburd - Goal - Holy Cross (3D New England)

Govs
Tyler Mallie - Att - Merrimack (New England Twisters)
Nick Berglund - Mid - Bentley (New England Twisters)
Matthew Collina - Mid - Colorado College (New England Twisters)
Colin Maloney - Lsm - Marquette (New England Twisters)
Ethan Winterbottom - Lsm/Def - Hobart (True IL)
Ethan Ferrant - Def - Dickinson (HGR)
Andrew Almquist - Goal - Babson (New England Twisters)

Groton
Patrick Keegan - Mid - RPI (New Hampshire Tomahawks)
Amos Lawrence - Def - Middlebury (3D New England)

Lawrence Academy
Will Gaynor - Att - Union (Laxachusetts)

Middlesex
Ty Samson - Att - Skidmore (4 Leaf)
Nick Moore - Mid - Colgate (Fighting Clams)
Andrew Matarese - Def - Lafayette (Fighting Clams)

Milton Academy
Sam DeGrappo - Att - Oberlin (4 Leaf)
Will Lavalee - Faceoff - Trinity (3D New England)
Silas Hamblett - Goal - Wesleyan (4 Leaf)

Nobles
Henry Tweedy - Mid - Tufts (3D New England)
Patrick Albers - Mid - Bowdoin (3D New England)
Christian Grosso - Faceoff - Virginia (3D New England)
Andrew Higgins - Faceoff - Hamilton (New England Twisters)

Rivers
Joshua Do - Att - Swarthmore (Laxachusetts)
Greg Canning - Att/Mid - Mercer (Fighting Clams)
Charlie Kantaros - Lsm - Union (Fighting Clams)

Roxbury Latin
Sean DiLallo - Lsm - Haverford (Laxachusetts)
John Thomas - Lsm/Def - Vermont (3D New England)
Hayden Cody - Faceoff - Bucknell (as a 2025)

St. George’s
Nik Barnes - Att - Trinity (Laxachusetts)
Bayard Plumb - Mid - Gettysburg (Mesa)
Henry Powell - Mid - Kenyon (NH Tomahawks)
Jimmy Carlin - Def - Conn College (RI Bulldogs)
Matthew Deedy - Goal - Air Force (Fighting Clams)

St. Mark’s
Marc Gadbois - Goal - Skidmore (Fighting Clams)

St. Sebastian’s
Chris Merageas - Att - Denver (Laxachusetts)
Michael Quinn - Att/Mid - Michigan (Laxachusetts)
James Joyce - Mid - Michigan (Laxachusetts)
Max Proia - Mid - Colby (Laxachusetts)
Cormac Walsh - Mid - Bowdoin (Laxachusetts)
Brendan Fulham - Def - Duke (Laxachusetts)

Tabor
Evan O’Neil - Att -Richmond (Laxachusetts)
Jackson Chase - Att - Gettysburg (Kings)
Luke Handy - Att/Mid - Skidmore (Fighting Clams)
Tim Bengston - Mid - Assumption (football & lacrosse)
Ronan Schipani - Lsm/Def - Fairfield (Kings)
Mitch Kavey - Mid - Loyola (as a 2025) (Fighting Clams)

Thayer
Nate Austin-Johnstone - Att/Mid - Rutgers (Laxachusetts)
Conrad Langenhagen - Mid - Union (Laxachusetts)
Finbar Holland - Mid - Union (Laxachusetts)
Jackson Henehan - Faceoff - Harvard (Laxachusetts)
Chrisl Cabral - Lsm/Def - Rutgers (Laxachusetts)

Commitment totals: 23 D1, 31 D3 (12 NESCAC, 10 Liberty), 2 D2
Top 3 club affiliations: 18 Laxachusetts, 11 3D New England, 7 Fighting Clams
Last edited by Laxxal22 on Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:25 am, edited 12 times in total.
Superlite

Post by Superlite »

Andrew Higgins is NE Twisters for Club
https://imlca.sportsrecruits.com/athlet ... w_higgins2

Brenten Sheffield is at Loomis now
https://imlca.sportsrecruits.com/athlet ... _sheffield

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:17 am Recruitment for the class of 2025 is officially underway. Not sure how they stack up nationally but by ISL standards it’s a very strong class with both high end players and depth across positions. The midfield is especially deep but midfield is the strength of the class nationally according to this piece: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... lass/62006

I’ll start a thread tracking 2025 commits once they begin, but the 2024 commits that I know of are below. Congrats to all. It has to be a nice feeling starting senior year with the destination clear and just having to land the plane.

It's definitely a good group. Outside of goalies they're stronger at every position than the 2023s imo. There’s still another dozen or so kids I could see playing strong D3. I’m sure a few will go that route, but others may opt for a different sport, choose a school where club is the option, or be content as a former athlete once they get to college.

Please let me know if there are any that I missed or if I have the wrong club affiliation - that stuff can get confusing.

Belmont Hill
Will Stewart - Att - Villanova (3D New England)
Ben Dibattista - Att - Lafayette (3D New England)
Sean Horkan - Att/Mid - Conn College (Fighting Clams)
Jack Schneider - Mid - St. Lawrence (Laxachusetts)
Finn Fox - Lsm/Def - Princeton (Laxachusetts)
Declan Reilly - Def - Fairfield (New England Twisters)

BB&N
Louie Varadi - Att - Conn College (3D New England)
Henry Rome - Mid - Babson (3D New England)
Henry Waisburd - Goal - Holy Cross (3D New England)

Govs
Tyler Mallie - Att - Merrimack (New England Twisters)
Nick Berglund - Mid - Bentley (New England Twisters)
Ethan Winterbottom - Lsm/Def - Hobart (True IL)
Ethan Ferrant - Def - Dickinson (HGR)
Andrew Almquist - Goal - Babson (New England Twisters)

Groton
Patrick Keegan - Mid - RPI (New Hampshire Tomahawks)
Amos Lawrence - Def - Middlebury (3D New England)

Lawrence Academy
Will Gaynor - Att - Union (Laxachusetts)

Middlesex
Ty Samson - Att - Skidmore (4 Leaf)
Nick Moore - Mid - Colgate (Fighting Clams)
Andrew Matarese - Def - Lafayette (Fighting Clams)

Milton Academy
Will Lavalee - Faceoff - Trinity (3D New England)
Silas Hamblett - Goal - Wesleyan (4 Leaf)

Nobles
Henry Tweedy - Mid - Tufts (3D New England)
Patrick Albers - Mid - Bowdoin (3D New England)
Christian Grosso - Faceoff - Virginia (3D New England)
Andrew Higgins - Faceoff - Hamilton (3D New England)

Rivers
Joshua Do - Att - Swarthmore (Laxachusetts)
Greg Canning - Att/Mid - Mercer (Fighting Clams)
Charlie Kantaros - Lsm - Union (Fighting Clams)

Roxbury Latin
Sean DiLallo - Lsm - Haverford (Laxachusetts)
John Thomas - Lsm/Def - Vermont (3D New England)

St. George’s
Nik Barnes - Att - Trinity (Laxachusetts)
Bayard Plumb - Mid - Gettysburg (Mesa)
Jimmy Carlin - Def - Conn College (RI Bulldogs)
Matthew Deedy - Goal - Air Force (Fighting Clams)

St. Mark’s
Marc Gadbois - Goal - Skidmore (Fighting Clams)

St. Sebastian’s
Chris Merageas - Att - Denver (Laxachusetts)
Michael Quinn - Att/Mid - Michigan (Laxachusetts)
James Joyce - Mid - Michigan (Laxachusetts)
Max Proia - Mid - Colby (Laxachusetts)
Cormac Walsh - Mid - Bowdoin (Laxachusetts)
Brendan Fulham - Def - Duke (Laxachusetts)

Tabor
Evan O’Neil - Att -Richmond (Laxachusetts)
Jackson Chase - Att - Gettysburg (Kings)
Luke Handy - Att/Mid - Skidmore (Fighting Clams)
Brenten Sheffield - Def - Penn (3D Upsate)

Thayer
Nate Austin-Johnstone - Att/Mid - Rutgers (Laxachusetts)
Conrad Langenhagen - Mid - Union (Laxachusetts)
Finbar Holland - Mid - Union (Laxachusetts)
Jackson Henehan - Faceoff - Harvard (Laxachusetts)
Chrisl Cabral - Lsm/Def - Rutgers (Laxachusetts)

Commitment totals: 22 D1, 28 D3 (12 NESCAC, 10 Liberty), 1 D2
Top 3 club affiliations: 18 Laxachusetts, 12 3D New England, 7 Fighting Clams
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Superlite wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:18 am Andrew Higgins is NE Twisters for Club
https://imlca.sportsrecruits.com/athlet ... w_higgins2

Brenten Sheffield is at Loomis now
https://imlca.sportsrecruits.com/athlet ... _sheffield
Thanks, updates made. Ouch for Tabor. They didn't graduate much but lost a ton to transfers.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

2025 Commitments

Johnny Price - Mid, Roxbury Latin - Georgetown
Colin Kenney - Att, Nobles - Notre Dame
Ethan Train - Goal, Nobles - Navy
Garr Long - Goal, Thayer - Brown
Eli Friedman - FO, Belmont Hill - Cornell
Natty Mason - Att, Milton Academy - Georgetown
Tyler Chouinard - Att, Thayer - Army
Brock Geraci - Att, Govs - Georgetown
Teddy Lally - Att, Thayer - Notre Dame
Lindan Verville - Mid, Belmont Hill - Virginia
Will Fuller - Att, BB&N - Princeton
Gus Beaudry - Mid, Thayer - Army
Owen Crann - Att/Mid, Middlesex - Penn
Chandler McClements - Goal, St. Seb’s - Penn
Joe DiMella - Att, Govs - BU
Jack Cappadona - Def, Thayer - Army
Preston Evans - Att, Belmont Hill - Virginia
John Stenberg - Mid, St. Seb’s - Dartmouth
Charles Cochrane - Att, Govs - UVM
Jack Rabazzi - Def, Rivers - Colgate
Charlie Crowley - Mid, Belmont Hill - UVM
Paul Armstrong - Att, St. Seb's - Holy Cross
Crosby Thurmond - Mid, St. Seb's - Holy Cross
Ryan Farley - Def, St. Seb's - Lafayette
Devin Maguire - Def, St. Seb's - Army

Class of 2025 players rated/noted in media

Teddy Lally - Att - Thayer: Inside Lacrosse #8 (five-star), NLF #16

Johnny Price - Mid - Roxbury Latin: Inside Lacrose #26 (four-star), NLF #40
Colin Kenney - Att - Nobles: Inside Lacrosse #33 (four-star), NLF #39
Lindan Verville - Mid - Belmont Hill: Inside Lacrosse #46 (four-star), NLF #52
Preston Evans - Att - Belmont Hill: NLF #37, Inside Lacrosse four-star

Ethan Train - Goal - Nobles: Inside Lacrosse four-star
Brock Geraci - Att - Govs: Inside Lacrosse four-star
Garr Long - Goal - Thayer: Inside Lacrosse four-star
Natty Mason - Att - Milton Academy: Inside Lacrosse four-star
Jack Capadonna - Def - Thayer: Inside Lacrosse four-star
Owen Crann - Att/Mid - Middlesex: Inside Lacrosse four-star
Eli Friedman - FO - Belmont Hill: Inside Lacrosse four-star

Tyler Chouinard - Att - Thayer: Inside Lacrosse three-star
Joe DiMella - Att - Govs: Inside Lacrosse three-star
Will Fuller - Att - BB&N: Inside Lacrosse three-star
John Stenberg - Mid - St. Seb’s: Inside Lacrosse three-star
Last edited by Laxxal22 on Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:10 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Nice article on Teddy Lally and Billy Daye of Thayer.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... mmit/62108
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

A couple of random offseason thoughts.

I don’t expect to see schedules for another 3-4 months, but Lawrenceville dropped their 2024 schedule and St. Seb’s is on it (3/21) as they’re set to go down to Jersey again for their annual spring break road trip. They usually play two games. Last year they played Brunswick on the way back up from Lville. The Arrows were supposed to play Delbarton on the 2020 trip that was canceled for Covid. I’d love to see that game or a match up with another one of NJ all-boys powers.

It’s going to be really difficult to make All-ISL at attack in the spring. There are 17 D1 committed attackmen between the junior and senior classes. Factor in a number of guys from those classes that will play high D3 and that two of the best attackmen in the league are sophomores, and it’s a crowded field for 7 or so spots.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

With the fall NEPSAC postseason kicking off today I wanted to revisit a thought I had/shared last spring about ISL lacrosse playoffs.

I will say that I prefer playoffs over the previous 15-game table format that often led to anti-climactic season endings. The current two-tier postseason takes care of that while also ensuring postseason participation for all 16 teams. But after two seasons of this format I see two pretty obvious issues and one simple solution.

Issues
1. Winning the title used to be 100% about regular season performance. While that was too rigid, the two-tier playoffs have really devalued the regular season.

2. Teams aren’t excited to hoist the consolation tournament/9th place trophy.

Solution
A three-tiered postseason: a tournament for teams 1-6, a tournament for teams 7-12, and two postseason games each for teams 13-16.

Limiting the top tourney to six would require at least a 7-4 record to get in, and a six-team format means first round byes* for the 1 and 2 seeds (the 7 and 8 seeds for the 7-12 tournament). The value of regular season performance and finishing first or second in the standings becomes huge and we avoid the scenario of the past two years of an 11-0 Belmont Hill team losing in the first round to 6-5 teams with no significant league wins. I like that the tournament allows for some stumbles/improvement throughout the year, but you shouldn’t get a ticket to the dance after barely breaking .500 in ISL play.

Having the second tournament be for 7th place instead of 9th, and making it a playoff you make rather than one to which you’re relegated, gives winning that trophy more shine. A tournament for teams 7-12 is also a better representation of the league’s middle tier which is still very high level high school lacrosse.

Finally, there’s typically a steep drop as you get to the bottom few teams, which has led to first round blow outs in the consolation playoffs. Instead of putting teams 13-16 in competition for a 9th place trophy they don’t really have a shot at winning, schedule two rounds of “friendlies” between the bottom four to end the season. This provides two more opportunities to play against equal competition to end the season. Also, qualifying for the second tournament becomes a preseason goal and stepping stone for programs looking to move out of the bottom of the standings.

Not a massive overhaul. It’s still the same total number of games for everyone. Just a slightly different structure that maximizes what has been a change for the better imo. Hopefully a bored coach or two stumble across this and agree.

*The current playoff structure has first round matchups of 1 vs. 8 and 2 vs. 7. You'd keep these games under what I’m proposing but simply make them non-elimination. The teams maintain the Wednesday playing opportunity but it’s pressure free and then they move on to the semis of their respective brackets on Friday.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”