NOWHERE MAN, CAN OPENER

Hamsterdam is FanLax's Brown Paper Bag. A Forum frequented by people with language and behavioral issues.
njbill

NOWHERE MAN, CAN OPENER

Post by njbill »

Just for you two, I'm making an exception.

Nothing wrong at all with my prediction when it was made. Afterwards, two unforeseen things occurred: Tumolo retired and Scane got hurt. If those things hadn’t happened, North wouldn’t have made the team.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: NOWHERE MAN, CAN OPENER

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

njbill wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:39 am Just for you two, I'm making an exception.

Nothing wrong at all with my prediction when it was made. Afterwards, two unforeseen things occurred: Tumolo retired and Scane got hurt. If those things hadn’t happened, North wouldn’t have made the team.
I have no reason to doubt what you say. I am not connected or in-the-know the way you are. What you say may be absolutely true. I am in no position, nor do I have the knowledge to refute what you allege here.

Best wishes, Bill--sincerely. I'm glad to see you here and I hope that it's for good. As the saying goes, "To err is human; to forgive, divine."
DMac

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:39 am Just for you two, I'm making an exception.

You have to throw an IMO in there njb.
National Champ, T Award winner, goals in a season record holder (I think), a fight and doggedness like few others, a skill level that's off the charts. How do you keep a girl like that off the team? I'm not buying the she can't get along with others and ruins team chemistry stuff, I think that's been proven to be wrong. JMHO.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Well, sure, it's my opinion. It's not the opinion of Cletus and Can Opener. :lol:

If you asked me on, say, Jan. 1, 2022, I'd have said she'd probably make the team (I told some folks that). I responded here because some people are giving me crap about an opinion I expressed last June, before the Tumi and Scane developments. I don't think she makes the team if those things hadn't occurred. Others may disagree. That's fine.

She has fight and doggedness when she is going to goal. But not on the redefend where she is not particularly strong. On attack, my main complaint has been that she doesn't look to feed and even when she does, she's only mediocre at it. I want my attackers to look to feed first, to find open teammates in good position to score, and to throw sharp, pinpoint passes to them. Watch Michelle Tumolo (Syr girl with whom I'm sure you are well familiar, DMac). Then I want my attacker to be able to create, shoot, and score, or to find space, catch, shoot, and score. I think North can tend to clog up an offense. I hope she is willing to play a more limited role on the US team than she is used to.

First impressions are lasting impressions. First time a saw her play was in the 2017 UA Senior game. Game goes into OT. She has the ball top right. Drives the alley, turns left at GLE, dodges around multiple defenders. As she approaches the goal, she has an open teammate (then and still one of the best finishers in the game). Instead of passing to this teammate for a sure-fire goal, she takes an off-balance left handed, underhanded shot. Now she scored, but it was like a basketball player taking a contested 30 foot jumper with her team down by one when she had a wide open teammate under the basket for a lay up.

I assume you are referring to her departure from Duke. I have heard the same rumors everyone else has heard, but I have no idea if it was her "fault," her teammates' "fault," the coaches' "fault," Mike Krzyzewski's "fault," or nobody's "fault." The fact that she has been put on the National team certainly suggests there aren't any significant "teammate" issues. That's good.

To Bart's point about North being the "face of women's lacrosse," I disagree, at least to a degree. In any event, that's merely marketing talk. I would say she is the top name in women's college lacrosse right now. Call that a quibble if you like. She's not the face of the US team. Certainly Cummings and Treanor (and maybe some others) would come ahead of her.
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

njbill wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:36 pm Well, sure, it's my opinion... She's not the face of the US team. Certainly Cummings and Treanor (and maybe some others) would come ahead of her.
This is a great post...
njbill

Post by njbill »

Thank you.
Gretchen

Post by Gretchen »

njbill wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:36 pm ...Instead of passing to this teammate for a sure-fire goal, she takes an off-balance left handed, underhanded shot. Now she scored, but...
Couldn't you say the same about Michael Jordan? But as long as he kept winning...
njbill

Post by njbill »

Gretchen wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:05 pm
njbill wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:36 pm ...Instead of passing to this teammate for a sure-fire goal, she takes an off-balance left handed, underhanded shot. Now she scored, but...
Couldn't you say the same about Michael Jordan? But as long as he kept winning...
Did he throw up contested 30 foot jumpers when he had a teammate open under the basket? Too long ago for me to really remember in great detail, but to the extent I can recall, I think he passed the ball more than North does.

Anyway, that was my first impression of her, one that has stuck.
AOD

Post by AOD »

bill, If you're connected with the people in charge of the national team's website, kindly ask them to proofread (read, correct) the spelling of the residence for the young woman from Burlington County.

Return to “HAMSTERDAM”