2022 Midterms

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: 2022 Midterms

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:43 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:26 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:00 pm Did you see the article I cited and tagged you in last night. Where R's are proposing Flat Tax?
a fan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:24 am
Yep. More Trumpism. Where the F was this bill when Trump was in office? If they had done THAT? I'd be their biggest cheerleader. Plus....I need to see the details. I'll look up the bill.

They didn't present it when Trump was in charge, because they don't REALLY want it to pass. Trumpism.
So Trumpsim is what....when people say something and do nothing? :lol: :lol: I suppose Trump has been around for decades....mmmm okay. And who gives a 8hit, that was 4 years ago, move on my man ;) . The scoreboard game is played out and get's us no where. You have been a proponent of a flat/consumption tax since I have been on these boards....I'd had expected a much more optimistic reply considering this something you have advocated for over the years.

I completely understand why you pull Trump(ism) out any chance you get, but IMO it minimizes your arguments to a borderline Karen rant. ;) :lol:
come on, youth, Trumpism is all about the Big Lie and the Big Grift.

Everything is unfair and you should be mad about it and thus vote for our 'team' (cult), so that we can fleece you some more.

Replete with team uniforms and cheers, wrapped in supposed "patriotism", but really ultra-nationalist authoritarianism, so that we can lock in your subservience and obeisance forever.

How does that apply here?
Well, pre-Trump 'cult' labelled themselves "Tea Party" and "Freedom Caucus"; ostensibly concerned about deficits and size of federal government, but really just about power.

But then Trump grabbed the cult and brought in the heavy ultra-nationalist, ethno-nationalist, branding of MAGA, seeking "enemies" in various "Other" groups, racial, religious, ethnic, 'gender' etc...The Tea Party and Freedom Caucus fully embraced the movement and out the window went any of the prior concerns about deficits and size of government. Indeed, spending went through the roof, pre pandemic, and dramatic tax reductions...huge deficit increase, all during a period when the economy was growing at a great, steady pace without the sugar high.

They keep pounding on how unfair the world is for their voters and for America (Europeans don't spend enough on military, who cares about Africa or South America, etc). Thanks to strong arm power tactics, they packed the Court...and got results across the board, both for their real sponsors, corporations and hyper-wealthy, and for their social base...abortion. And then, oh my, they lost...so, the Big Lie.

They vastly underperformed in the mid-term, but did regain some power levers...so, they are going to blast the performance as loudly as they can, amplified by all the right wing media.

So...did they just rediscover fiscal restraint? Did they just remember concern about deficits?
Did they just now realize that corruption should be investigated?

Who is fooled here?
The issue I take with all of what you (and others) say, is that you are already jaded, and it started the moment he came down the escalator in 2015, followed by a short 5 years (in the grand scheme) of politics. He was a bull in a china shop and it is no-friggen-wonder that congress did not want to do anything under his leadership; for that we should probably be thankful b/c we'd be left with Trumpism policy, no? And you guys can't have that, b/c it would then give you another reason to be fussy. ;)

I honestly believe we all on these boards, want the very same thing and are merely frustrated , shown by the consistency of posts that say damned near the same thing, differently, each day. What I can not stand is the inability to move on. Getting stuck in the past is something you would visit your shrink to help you get over, otherwise have an optimistic vision, with an expectation of failure, already played out, so that you are already prepared for any outcome....and both results are positive in nature.

I am certain you get this, having been a goalie....flush it, and move on, and know full well another shot is coming and you'll do your best to minimize it having an impact on you.
good analogy re goaltending...funny, I explained exactly that aspect to a sports psychologist last evening who was giving a presentation on golf (it ain't 'mental', it ain't "choking", it's that you're just not that good, so under stress the weak links of your game are expected to be the ones that fail...so work on those weaknesses very patiently and diligently, etc, etc). It was pre-presentation and he'd made a comment about lacrosse and other such sports where "hustle" and ability to use adrenaline to be explosive is so important...I commented on the specific need to be able to let go, flush, the prior shot and focus on the next...

And yes, I knew before he came down the elevator, he was a corrupt POS; but I was very, very turned off by the Tea Party and Freedom Caucus cultish behaviors prior to then. I saw some of that in my own home with by brother-in-law (who became all-in MAGA Trumpist, Big Lie, etc...he'd been all-in Tea Party, gone to whole bunch of rallies, etc). It came as somewhat of a surprise that they went so all-in for the Tax Cut as their first order of business, as it was so obviously a cut for the wealthy donors, not for the middle class like they'd been saying...they didn't even consider any of this flat tax stuff or any other simplification...it was all about tax cuts for the wealthy...corrupt. And I was a bit surprised that they got so in line with the massive increases in spending, at the same time as those massive tax cuts. I commented extensively at the time that this sort of fiscal stimulus was entirely unnecessarily given the economic trends already in place and would ultimately be inflationary. And if they were going to push spending up, why not infrastructure? So, yeah I'm a bit better informed about how hypocritical these guys are.

So, these are the exact same people doing the "shooting" now.
I've seen their stroke, know where they're going with the ball, so I can anticipate how best to make the save...
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:43 pm I honestly believe we all on these boards, want the very same thing and are merely frustrated
Bingo. Yes!
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:43 pm What I can not stand is the inability to move on.
The minute Republicans cast Trump out? I'll be OVERJOYED to move on.

We're nowhere close to that happening, YA.

Know how we'll know? First off, Trump won't come anywhere close to getting the nomination.

Second, they'll stop parroting Trump's greatest hits, and find their own issues to campaign on. It's not like America doesn't have hundreds of problems to solve. For starters:

-no more talk of the border
-no more talk of election fraud
-no more talk of fake news
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

all the talk about gerrymandering, and I saw this article: https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/h ... s-in-2022/

Have not ready it yet.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

a fan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:19 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:43 pm I honestly believe we all on these boards, want the very same thing and are merely frustrated
Bingo. Yes!
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:43 pm What I can not stand is the inability to move on.

Know how we'll know? First off, Trump won't come anywhere close to getting the nomination.

Second, they'll stop parroting Trump's greatest hits, and find their own issues to campaign on. It's not like America doesn't have hundreds of problems to solve. For starters:

agree with everything except the no talk of the border. I think our government owes us a rational and clearly articulated and executed immigration strategy that does not include tacitly bringing hundreds of thousands of people into our country as law-breakers from day one.

quick edit to add: NEITHER party has offered this.

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Nassau County GOP asks "George Santos" to resign. At least the local chapter has some moral compass. Kevin?

https://twitter.com/AccountableGOP/stat ... 7838452736

More:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeArztComm/stat ... 7207962625
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:26 pm all the talk about gerrymandering, and I saw this article: https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/h ... s-in-2022/

Have not ready it yet.
Democrats benefited in 2022 from gerrymandering where they used it in new maps, balancing off GOP usage in new maps...but it doesn't address that overall GOP usage is more extensive and universal in GOP controlled states, whereas that's a mixed bag in Dem controlled states.

What matters most, though, is not about which party controls but rather that so many districts, for each party, are totally 'safe', so the only threat is from the flank...so, we could get further and further extremes represented, not the actual majorities.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:28 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:19 pm
Bingo. Yes!

agree with everything except the no talk of the border. I think our government owes us a rational and clearly articulated and executed immigration strategy that does not include tacitly bringing hundreds of thousands of people into our country as law-breakers from day one.

quick edit to add: NEITHER party has offered this.
agreed, though he meant no more demagoguery about the border.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:32 pm Nassau County GOP asks "George Santos" to resign. At least the local chapter has some moral compass. Kevin?

More:

Exactly right. Good for them.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:47 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:32 pm Nassau County GOP asks "George Santos" to resign. At least the local chapter has some moral compass. Kevin?

More:

I liked the statement that the gent gave about respect for due process and allowing him to be fairly heard in response to allegations and detractors. But the evidence is sufficiently in and overwhelming. This is an acid test that the national GOP and the GOP Caucus in the House seems destined to fail.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:00 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:47 pm

More:

I liked the statement that the gent gave about respect for due process and allowing him to be fairly heard in response to allegations and detractors. But the evidence is sufficiently in and overwhelming. This is an acid test that the national GOP and the GOP Caucus in the House seems destined to fail.
What makes anyone think that this lying sack of sh*t is going to fess up and become a paragon? Right now he's doing the DOPUS rope-a-dope and not talking. Keep in mind, even if he's indicted, that is not a disqualifier to serve in the House. He either has to resign or they need to toss him.

Two other GOP reps from Long Island and NYS GOP joins Nassau County GOP and backs call for Rep. George Santos' resignation. Voters had best start to weigh in as that may be the only way they are going to get rid of this albatross.

The hits keep on coming

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/12/nyre ... ising.html

"The Mysterious, Unregistered Fund That Raised Big Money for Santos
A review of records and newly uncovered documents reveals that efforts to elect George Santos may have run afoul of campaign finance rules."

Link to his totally bogus resume'
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/11/nyre ... esume.html
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Conservative Party of NY joins in:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Olivia_Beave ... 7576479745

Kevin? Leadership? Character?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Republicon trouble makers are everywhere!

https://image.politicalcartoons.com/270 ... -house.png

Now that they have the majority in the House, you have to wonder to what extent they will go to stifle the patriotic Biden agenda and to promote their own destructive anti-America agenda. Up to now the Biden agenda has been constructive and has turned the USA in a positive direction. But what next .... ?
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:23 am
HooDat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:10 amSo...the flat tax concept is good for working class Americans?

How big a rate would it need to be to raise the revenues necessary?

Who would pay the biggest share of their personal incomes?

What would the "unintended consequences" be and how could those be mitigated?
The question I have is whether a flat tax that eliminates ALL deductions and loopholes could be set at a level that is lower than your average American's avg tax rate.

I am on record as favoring a very VERY small transaction tax and eliminating the income tax altogether.

But the bottom line is none of these things are going to happen. The government is not going to give up the power that is encapsulated within the right to grant tax breaks and specific deductions to their donors. Along with granting gov contracts, nothing brings politicians more power than their ability to tinker with the tax code - they will never willingly give up that power.
R's and D's alike.
a fan wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:19 pm Know how we'll know? First off, Trump won't come anywhere close to getting the nomination.

So a little more research on the "repeal of the IRS" and it looks like the proposal is to eliminate the income tax and install a consumption tax.

https://buddycarter.house.gov/uploadedf ... _118th.pdf

The pessimist in me says it is DOA, and what really ends up happening is we get reamed with BOTH :roll: , but a guy can dream can't he....?

a fan

Post by a fan »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:45 pm So a little more research on the "repeal of the IRS" and it looks like the proposal is to eliminate the income tax and install a consumption tax.

https://buddycarter.house.gov/uploadedf ... _118th.pdf
The bill is a mess. Unless I'm missing things (which I may very well be):

-the tax is 14.91% Seeing as how half the country doesn't currently pay a Federal income tax? That's crazy. This will HAMMER the working class
-the tax is only leveled on property sales, and services
-they confusingly claim that something can be taxed once, and only once.....weirdo libertarian "logic"
-there's a mess of exemptions

Normally I would say "hey, this is a start"....but coming in hot with that 14.91% tag is going to make further discussions impossible. NO ONE is going to sign up for that absurd number.

The tax should be: any time a good or service is exhanged, the tax of 2% is levied immediately, taxes are paid monthly. No execeptions.
HooDat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:45 pm The pessimist in me says it is DOA, and what really ends up happening is we get reamed with BOTH :roll: , but a guy can dream can't he....?
Yes!
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Who would have predicted a black ex-NFL player could win a key senate seat without stating whether he wants to be a vampire or a werewolf?

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:38 pm Who would have predicted a black ex-NFL player could win a key senate seat without stating whether he wants to be a vampire or a werewolf?

We kept him out. Just like we did w Trump before and now will probably be the first to get him into pumps, koolaid lipstick and a bow legged walk.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:37 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:38 pm Who would have predicted a black ex-NFL player could win a key senate seat without stating whether he wants to be a vampire or a werewolf?

We kept him out. Just like we did w Trump before and now will probably be the first to get him into pumps, koolaid lipstick and a bow legged walk.
Ex-NFL player A-a-ron Rouse won a state senate seat in Virginia on Tuesday without being a crazy person. Saw some ad calling him a career politician even though he was a city council member for a few years and now a state senator. you know, befor having an actual career in another thing altogether.

Sad that you have to clarify, "he isn't crazy" to be a frontrunner. his opponent was a little crazy.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Now here’s the ideal Republican politician’s wife: making sure her husband’s election fraud position is truthful -

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-c ... 47668.html
a fan

Post by a fan »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:04 am Now here’s the ideal Republican politician’s wife: making sure her husband’s election fraud position is truthful -

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-c ... 47668.html
....still waiting for sooper-serious "election fraud" Republicans to eliminate absentee ballots from the State's they control.

And waiting, and waiting......
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:23 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:37 pm

Ex-NFL player A-a-ron Rouse won a state senate seat in Virginia on Tuesday without being a crazy person. Saw some ad calling him a career politician even though he was a city council member for a few years and now a state senator. you know, befor having an actual career in another thing altogether.

Sad that you have to clarify, "he isn't crazy" to be a frontrunner. his opponent was a little crazy.
Ahh. Didn’t realize thought we were talking that good air Herschel here.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “POLITICS”