Yardwork

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Yardwork

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:06 pm Click on this one at 4:17, Ffg. If you don't know when and where that branch is going (and they can absolutely fool you) there can be big trouble.....and those branches can be real heavy. The guy dropping the tree before the amateur on the ladder puts on an exhibition of how it's done (dropping a tree) perfectly...kinda pretty to watch. SClax expresses my sentiments perfectly, it's what I thought when I read your post (good advice from others too).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO3DikfOyt4
That happened to me...fortunately I was able to wrap my arm around the tree and hub to hang on, as the ladder twisted.....bent the bottom of my extension ladder.

I have rented one of these before: https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipmen ... d-ladders/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:25 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:06 pm Click on this one at 4:17, Ffg. If you don't know when and where that branch is going (and they can absolutely fool you) there can be big trouble.....and those branches can be real heavy. The guy dropping the tree before the amateur on the ladder puts on an exhibition of how it's done (dropping a tree) perfectly...kinda pretty to watch. SClax expresses my sentiments perfectly, it's what I thought when I read your post (good advice from others too).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO3DikfOyt4
That happened to me...fortunately I was able to wrap my arm around the tree and hub to hang on, as the ladder twisted.....bent the bottom of my extension ladder.

I have rented one of these before: https://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipmen ... d-ladders/
What’s that run? That could work and be fun.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just took dog to nearby park and a home 1.5 blocks away was crushed by one of these huge trees in my hood. Completely destroyed. Had a sense as three huge old trees have been taken down on block since I moved in on 2013 which is why I’ve been bootstrapping a cleanup as I can imo last month or two.

Maybe I do need to hire a professional…

https://www.11alive.com/mobile/video/ne ... 7ddc6347b0

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.co ... utType=amp
See Martin, Malcolm
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:13 pm Just took dog to nearby park and a home 1.5 blocks away was crushed by one of these huge trees in my hood. Completely destroyed. Had a sense as three huge old trees have been taken down on block since I moved in on 2013 which is why I’ve been bootstrapping a cleanup as I can imo last month or two.

If those are the size of trees falling in your neighborhood maybe this will get you over the hump. Check your home insurance policy.

Before becoming a cop my son worked for Davey Tree. He had two large trees in his back yard that needed to come down. He has an associates degree in arboriculture, did tree work for ~10 years, and has all his own climbing equipment, ropes, harnesses, chainsaws, etc. He knows what he’s doing.

Despite this he hired an insured company to take down his trees. His insurance company wouldn’t cover property damage if he caused damage, but the insured company’s insurer would.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:46 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:13 pm Just took dog to nearby park and a home 1.5 blocks away was crushed by one of these huge trees in my hood. Completely destroyed. Had a sense as three huge old trees have been taken down on block since I moved in on 2013 which is why I’ve been bootstrapping a cleanup as I can imo last month or two.

If those are the size of trees falling in your neighborhood maybe this will get you over the hump. Check your home insurance policy.

Before becoming a cop my son worked for Davey Tree. He had two large trees in his back yard that needed to come down. He has an associates degree in arboriculture, did tree work for ~10 years, and has all his own climbing equipment, ropes, harnesses, chainsaws, etc. He knows what he’s doing.

Despite this he hired an insured company to take down his trees. His insurance company wouldn’t cover property damage if he caused damage, but the insured company’s insurer would.
Mine are a little smaller but not tiny and old. Neighbor immediately to my right/west (towards this street in story) has one massive one that’s tore up the sidewalk years ago and two huge ones in back. Almost all of the ones on steer have that green mossy rot on them to
Some degree or another. Shame because it’s a beautiful neighborhood with light and trees but clearly that’s changing.
See Martin, Malcolm
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

this might help anyone in their yard work:

https://tvaraj.files.wordpress.com/2015 ... wd-402.jpg
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:45 pm this might help anyone in their yard work:

https://tvaraj.files.wordpress.com/2015 ... wd-402.jpg
Man I can appreciate a good double entendre with the best
Of them and this one is good.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So because I yam who I yam, I took down some limbs on trees in front of house that were half cracked with a table saw having climbed up there trees. Nearly fell at one point from about 15-20ft up and subsequently researched and reached out to a couple of different businesses for quotes on the rest…
See Martin, Malcolm
DMac

Post by DMac »

Atta boy, as I always say, when you're personally involved it's different ballgame. Aint listening to jack til you damn near fall and your a*hole puckers up a little bit, then you hear what people are telling you. Too funny.
A table saw? You must mean skill saw, no? You conceding to that amateur part yet? :lol:

You should play around at this place and see if you can figure it out, or have someone show you how to use it. You can take pictures on your phone, send them to your email, then upload them to Imgur, then you can copy and post them. If I learned how to do it, ANYBODY can....and it was probably better when I didn't know how to do it. I need to see pictures of this tree and what your dealing with.
https://imgur.com/
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:52 am Atta boy, as I always say, when you're personally involved it's different ballgame. Aint listening to jack til you damn near fall and your a*hole puckers up a little bit, then you hear what people are telling you. Too funny.
A table saw? You must mean skill saw, no? You conceding to that amateur part yet? :lol:

You should play around at this place and see if you can figure it out, or have someone show you how to use it. You can take pictures on your phone, send them to your email, then upload them to Imgur, then you can copy and post them. If I learned how to do it, ANYBODY can....and it was probably better when I didn't know how to do it. I need to see pictures of this tree and what your dealing with.
Learning through trial and error. But I didn't use the chainsaw and I didn't do the ladder or go to the larger ones in back so I did take it all in and appreciate it, might've saved my life given my modified experience.

Will work on that. Trying to use the laptop more for this as phone is so messy for this purpose here on FL (no disrespect to the owners).

The ones in front I'm told are different, "sweet gum" trees. Others are just old a** oaks.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:52 am Atta boy, as I always say, when you're personally involved it's different ballgame. Aint listening to jack til you damn near fall and your a*hole puckers up a little bit, then you hear what people are telling you. Too funny.

Trying embedding here - the one hanging over the power lines is one of the two I went up after dinner last night.

First one is in my front yard, haven't taken any from the back yet for you. Second one is neighbor to immediate right/south of me. Both of these are representative of all over my hood.

This is southbound on my street and my 15yr old deaf and blind (pretty sure or close) Lhasa Apso - funny thing is my block is pretty liberal in general but that yellow flag is the one old couple and that's one of those snake tread on my s**t flags. Everybody is a live and let live, we have block parties every thursday and relaxed nice area. They don't come out much I wish they did, don't want them to feel like they aren't welcome, everyone else would be totally cool to them.

The house that the Oak took down about a block and a half away looks like this this morning...

See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:38 am

Trying embedding here - the one hanging over the power lines is one of the two I went up after dinner last night.

First one is in my front yard, haven't taken any from the back yet for you. Second one is neighbor to immediate right/south of me. Both of these are representative of all over my hood.

This is southbound on my street and my 15yr old deaf and blind (pretty sure or close) Lhasa Apso - funny thing is my block is pretty liberal in general but that yellow flag is the one old couple and that's one of those snake tread on my s**t flags. Everybody is a live and let live, we have block parties every thursday and relaxed nice area. They don't come out much I wish they did, don't want them to feel like they aren't welcome, everyone else would be totally cool to them.

The house that the Oak took down about a block and a half away looks like this this morning...

Took a couple from the back of the house where I started messing around and am more focused.

And for the record I take less than Trump level repsonsibility with resepct to the tear in the grill cover (and yes I prefer natural burn and and/or green egg but it's not top priority to get to) and especially the messed up deck facade. Never should've let my wife touch the pressure washer I bought a few years back, no point in priming now, just waiting to do some bigger level work to house which will rebuild the deck differently.

See Martin, Malcolm
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Jeezus H, if you’d said your work would be around power lines I’d have been more adamant, and sooner! You must have a death wish.

On a positive note, you should contact your power company about those limbs. Because of the damage from surrounding trees they may determine those limbs should be removed and take them down on their dime.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:47 am

Jeezus H, if you’d said your work would be around power lines I’d have been more adamant, and sooner! You must have a death wish.

On a positive note, you should contact your power company about those limbs. Because of the damage from surrounding trees they may determine those limbs should be removed and take them down on their dime.
Georgia Power is same as city. Cool if you want to wait 2-4yrs.

Death wish? Maybe, or if I flip it around I could call it a thirst for adventure! And I'm tired of outsourcing stuff becuase I couldn't learn much physical labor from my dad as a kid due to his extreme arthritis so just taking cracks at stuff these days.
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:04 am

Death wish? Maybe, or if I flip it around I could call it a thirst for adventure! And I'm tired of outsourcing stuff becuase I couldn't learn much physical labor from my dad as a kid due to his extreme arthritis so just taking cracks at stuff these days.
Agree with SCLAX......defintiely drop a the few grand on tree removal, you could go in halvsies with neighbors. If you really want to adventurous, you could reach out to some local furniture builders and see if they want a take in the trees. Liveedge tables are all the craze or even just some firewood contractors could give you a nickle or dime for the wood.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:19 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:04 am

Agree with SCLAX......defintiely drop a the few grand on tree removal, you could go in halvsies with neighbors. If you really want to adventurous, you could reach out to some local furniture builders and see if they want a take in the trees. Liveedge tables are all the craze or even just some firewood contractors could give you a nickle or dime for the wood.
I made three calls last night. Those cats are busy but I'm going to pay up when they get around to coming and quoting me. Nearly slipping over that retaining wall meets sidewalk area was enough of a lesson, I don't need anymore CTE from falling on my head into that mix of brick and pavers.

I did look good to my kids who ran down the block and got their neighbor friends and heard them say "I told you guys, he's way better than hulk and spider man combined?" so whats some near death scares and potential broken bones to hear that...
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Timing is always funny.

SC, any way to see without something silly like Angies List if one can ascertain who's legit or not in this biz? Or is the same small business leap of faith we take regularly?

See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I’d certainly get a quote from them....if for no other reason to gain a bit of education on the subject.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:03 pm I’d certainly get a quote from them....if for no other reason to gain a bit of education on the subject.
Oh yeah still haven’t gotten returned calls from three I dropped voicemails on last evening. Not mad but I was taught a 24hr turnaround rule early in my business world. If not my boss at CS would throw chairs and smash phones into pieces. This guy has the benefit of the doubt by simply taking advantage of being nearby for other work and having the good sense to spend an hour going door to door for me.
See Martin, Malcolm
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:03 pm I’d certainly get a quote from them....if for no other reason to gain a bit of education on the subject.
Oh yeah still haven’t gotten returned calls from three I dropped voicemails on last evening. Not mad but I was taught a 24hr turnaround rule early in my business world. If not my boss at CS would throw chairs and smash phones into pieces. This guy has the benefit of the doubt by simply taking advantage of being nearby for other work and having the good sense to spend an hour going door to door for me.
Oh I totally agree, I'm the same way. I even hate seeing unread emails in my inbox. Crazy times FFG, construction industry is slammed...if you are not busy, you are not not very good. Not tot mention, most places are struggling to keep staffing regularly.
~Livy

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”