2021/2022 season

D2 Womens Lacrosse
Cagekeeper

2021/2022 season

Post by Cagekeeper »

So I’m not a big poster on the D2 thread but I do read it. I have one daughter that plays D1 and one that will play D2 and it’s crazy how few posts are on this thread compared to that one.
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the upcoming season
Bart

Re: 2021/2022 season

Post by Bart »

It's hard to tell, and I am not trying to be a smart a$$ here. D2 always seems to have a bunch of movement of players that has a big ripple effect on the overall end game. It is also hard to judge which teams will have their 5th years back. That being said, I think the eventual winner has a good chance of coming from the Midwest again.

Lindenwood is certainly reloading. IF their roster stays the same they loose a couple of real good ones in the middle of the field, the QB on offense and a couple of defenders, including one I believe should have been 1st team. They return the core of middies and are adding a a good player from SB. Real good coach. They will be tough. UIndy has a ton back including the D2 POY, and AOY but has to replace a couple good attackers and a good defender. Delaney hit the portal hard adding an attacker from Conesius, AA D3 defender and a pair from Seton Hill including a 1st team AA middie. Question is will they jell.

With the PSAC, depends on who returns for both West Chester and ESU. I think the PSAC east will be stronger than the west and the west has had a few coaching changes as well. NE10 will be similar to last year I believe but LeMoyne has a couple of kids who played significant roles that could return so that is an unknown. Adelphi always has talent but both Pollok and Johnshon have used up all their years (I believe) so that is a huge loss. They have a real good coach and always seem to have kids waiting in the wings.

Edit: Did just look at LeMoyne. Have their roster up. McMullen, Meagher and Ferris all are returning for a 5th. They also added a player from Duke that is a Rochester kid. Good player in HS and I think got the injury bug at Duke. They have the playes to be good and after being snubbed from the NCAA last year I imagine will be highly motivated.

I think the ECC is between Mercy and Roberts again. Roberts had a great season and returns a real nice nucleus they have a few players that can return and if they do they will be real strong once again.

I do not follow the southern teams as closely but they always have a few that are real good and have some fantastic coaches down there. As always, we really have no clue as to which FY's will come in and play play huge, much like the Mitaratundo from ESU.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

In the South the lead teams are probably the ones you might expect: Florida Southern and Rollins in the SSC, Queens and Limestone in the SAC, and Mount Olive in CC.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Bart wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:38 am It's hard to tell, and I am not trying to be a smart a$$ here. D2 always seems to have a bunch of movement of players that has a big ripple effect on the overall end game. It is also hard to judge which teams will have their 5th years back. That being said, I think the eventual winner has a good chance of coming from the Midwest again.

Lindenwood is certainly reloading. IF their roster stays the same they loose a couple of real good ones in the middle of the field, the QB on offense and a couple of defenders, including one I believe should have been 1st team. They return the core of middies and are adding a a good player from SB. Real good coach. They will be tough. UIndy has a ton back including the D2 POY, and AOY but has to replace a couple good attackers and a good defender. Delaney hit the portal hard adding an attacker from Conesius, AA D3 defender and a pair from Seton Hill including a 1st team AA middie. Question is will they jell.

With the PSAC, depends on who returns for both West Chester and ESU. I think the PSAC east will be stronger than the west and the west has had a few coaching changes as well. NE10 will be similar to last year I believe but LeMoyne has a couple of kids who played significant roles that could return so that is an unknown. Adelphi always has talent but both Pollok and Johnshon have used up all their years (I believe) so that is a huge loss. They have a real good coach and always seem to have kids waiting in the wings.

Edit: Did just look at LeMoyne. Have their roster up. McMullen, Meagher and Ferris all are returning for a 5th. They also added a player from Duke that is a Rochester kid. Good player in HS and I think got the injury bug at Duke. They have the playes to be good and after being snubbed from the NCAA last year I imagine will be highly motivated.

I think the ECC is between Mercy and Roberts again. Roberts had a great season and returns a real nice nucleus they have a few players that can return and if they do they will be real strong once again.

I do not follow the southern teams as closely but they always have a few that are real good and have some fantastic coaches down there. As always, we really have no clue as to which FY's will come in and play play huge, much like the Mitaratundo from ESU.
You’re correct, Pollock and Johnson have used up all their eligibility. Really really great players for Adelphi, their talent will be missed
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

I’m also interested to see how Flagler does, they have a HUGE roster for their first season and have gotten a ton of transfers. Off note but surprising to see them in the GSC rather than the SSC
Bart

Post by Bart »

glaxer24 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:43 am
Bart wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:38 am It's hard to tell, and I am not trying to be a smart a$$ here. D2 always seems to have a bunch of movement of players that has a big ripple effect on the overall end game. It is also hard to judge which teams will have their 5th years back. That being said, I think the eventual winner has a good chance of coming from the Midwest again.

You’re correct, Pollock and Johnson have used up all their eligibility. Really really great players for Adelphi, their talent will be missed
yep. They were the type of players you loved to hate if you were not an Adelphi fan. Real fun to watch.

I looked at Flagler. You are right, huge roster but I only saw 1 transfer? Do they not have some listed on the roster?
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Bart wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:56 am

yep. They were the type of players you loved to hate if you were not an Adelphi fan. Real fun to watch.

I looked at Flagler. You are right, huge roster but I only saw 1 transfer? Do they not have some listed on the roster?
They have 12 transfers posted on their Instagram
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Cagekeeper wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:39 pm So I’m not a big poster on the D2 thread but I do read it. I have one daughter that plays D1 and one that will play D2 and it’s crazy how few posts are on this thread compared to that one.
D2 has historically had the least amount of interest out of all 3 divisions. I know there's been some discussion about D2 programs on the D1 forum stemming from a D1 transferring to a D2 school. And D2 schools do tend to get a lot of D1 transfers.

I also think there's just old stereotypes that are still being repeated and are still prevalent in the lacrosse community. The generalizations that I've heard are that D1 is well, D1, and D3 schools are usually private, very good academically. D2 schools were treated like the ugly stepchild. Not D1, and none of the academic prestige that comes with the NESCAC/Centennial/other D3 conferences. I've also heard a phrase repeated regularly that irks me "D3 lacrosse is better than D2 lacrosse". Yes, there are D3 programs that can beat D2 programs, but there are also D2 (and D3) programs that can beat D1 programs, but the generalization that "D3 lacrosse is better than D2" rubs me the wrong way.

I don't really hear any of that on this forum, and I think just recently, over the past several years, feelings have begun to change. But I still hear these stereotypes frequently enough at games/tournaments/on social media/from some parents whose kids are going through or about to begin the recruiting process. I also feel like the sentiment is reflected in the amount of coverage each division is given on major publication platforms like ILWomen and USLacrosse Magazine.

And I agree with Bart about the winner coming out of the midwest. I don't think a PSAC school is winning it all but one of the schools could make it as far as the semi-finals. Schools like UIndy and Lindenwood are proof of what can be accomplished if the program is well funded and athletes are treated well. I'm sure LeMoyne is going to be playing like they're on fire all season after what happened last year with the NCAA tournament.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:31 pm
Cagekeeper wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:39 pm So I’m not a big poster on the D2 thread but I do read it. I have one daughter that plays D1 and one that will play D2 and it’s crazy how few posts are on this thread compared to that one.
D2 has historically had the least amount of interest out of all 3 divisions. I know there's been some discussion about D2 programs on the D1 forum stemming from a D1 transferring to a D2 school. And D2 schools do tend to get a lot of D1 transfers.

I also think there's just old stereotypes that are still being repeated and are still prevalent in the lacrosse community. The generalizations that I've heard are that D1 is well, D1, and D3 schools are usually private, very good academically. D2 schools were treated like the ugly stepchild. Not D1, and none of the academic prestige that comes with the NESCAC/Centennial/other D3 conferences. I've also heard a phrase repeated regularly that irks me "D3 lacrosse is better than D2 lacrosse". Yes, there are D3 programs that can beat D2 programs, but there are also D2 (and D3) programs that can beat D1 programs, but the generalization that "D3 lacrosse is better than D2" rubs me the wrong way.

I don't really hear any of that on this forum, and I think just recently, over the past several years, feelings have begun to change. But I still hear these stereotypes frequently enough at games/tournaments/on social media/from some parents whose kids are going through or about to begin the recruiting process. I also feel like the sentiment is reflected in the amount of coverage each division is given on major publication platforms like ILWomen and USLacrosse Magazine.

And I agree with Bart about the winner coming out of the midwest. I don't think a PSAC school is winning it all but one of the schools could make it as far as the semi-finals. Schools like UIndy and Lindenwood are proof of what can be accomplished if the program is well funded and athletes are treated well. I'm sure LeMoyne is going to be playing like they're on fire all season after what happened last year with the NCAA tournament.
+1000. D2 players are very talented and work just as hard, where’s the respect for them from USLacrosse and ILWomen?
Bart

Post by Bart »

glaxer24 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:27 pm
Bart wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:56 am

They have 12 transfers posted on their Instagram
Thanks. I see what you mean. they are all listed ad Fr on the roster. Looks like a bunch of kids came over from Mount Olive and he got a bunch from other places. Will be interesting to see how they do.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

glaxer24 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:57 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:31 pm

+1000. D2 players are very talented and work just as hard, where’s the respect for them from USLacrosse and ILWomen?
[/quote
It’s ridiculous really. There are many kids who can easily
Play d1. And let’s be real. After the top
20 you’re playing on teams that are not great. To say you play d1? 116 or however many teams. D2 kids sometimes have career paths that aren’t possible at d1 D2 teams like Adelphi get transfers from d1 for that reason.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

I know a lot of d2 programs that are getting d1 transfers. Some kids change what they want. Some kids want to have more of a life outside of lax. There are plenty of kids that are on d1 teams that sit the bench for four years. How is that fun? To SAY you okay d1. It’s a game. I for one would rather play than sit. So transfer to the 50th ranked d1 program for a numeral after the d or transfer to d2 like lemoyne or Indy and play. People are way too hung up
Bart

Post by Bart »

Fischer wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:30 am I know a lot of d2 programs that are getting d1 transfers. Some kids change what they want. Some kids want to have more of a life outside of lax. There are plenty of kids that are on d1 teams that sit the bench for four years. How is that fun? To SAY you okay d1. It’s a game. I for one would rather play than sit. So transfer to the 50th ranked d1 program for a numeral after the d or transfer to d2 like lemoyne or Indy and play. People are way too hung up
I have seen the bolded statement several times in relation to D2 student athletes. If you are indicting that there are certain majors associated with D2 that may be more appealing then I guess I could agree. I see many more allied health programs associated with D2, nursing and PA just to name two. I do not know how many of these programs are associated with the UNC's, SYR's and UMd's of the world and if coaches would rather have their athletes shy away from these types of programs?

As to life outside of lax. Both of my kids played at this level and both were in programs that utilized every single Countable Athletic Related Activity hour as allowed. These go from 5:30 AM conditioning/lifting sessions to afternoon practices. The same as D1 athletes. 20 hrs per week during the competition season as allowed. 1 day off out of 7 as allowed. I think this is the norm for most of the upper tier D2 programs. It comes with that silly little thing called a scholarship. I believe these rules are the same as D1.

Not looking for an argument here, just wondering is others had/have the save experience. I guess I just do not see it as a huge decrease in commitment by the student athlete.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Bart wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:12 pm
Fischer wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:30 am I know a lot of d2 programs that are getting d1 transfers. Some kids change what they want. Some kids want to have more of a life outside of lax. There are plenty of kids that are on d1 teams that sit the bench for four years. How is that fun? To SAY you okay d1. It’s a game. I for one would rather play than sit. So transfer to the 50th ranked d1 program for a numeral after the d or transfer to d2 like lemoyne or Indy and play. People are way too hung up
I have seen the bolded statement several times in relation to D2 student athletes. If you are indicting that there are certain majors associated with D2 that may be more appealing then I guess I could agree. I see many more allied health programs associated with D2, nursing and PA just to name two. I do not know how many of these programs are associated with the UNC's, SYR's and UMd's of the world and if coaches would rather have their athletes shy away from these types of programs?

As to life outside of lax. Both of my kids played at this level and both were in programs that utilized every single Countable Athletic Related Activity hour as allowed. These go from 5:30 AM conditioning/lifting sessions to afternoon practices. The same as D1 athletes. 20 hrs per week during the competition season as allowed. 1 day off out of 7 as allowed. I think this is the norm for most of the upper tier D2 programs. It comes with that silly little thing called a scholarship. I believe these rules are the same as D1.

Not looking for an argument here, just wondering is others had/have the save experience. I guess I just do not see it as a huge decrease in commitment by the student athlete.
I’m agreeing with you. I’m saying d2 athletes have a stigma as being less in some people’s eyes. Which is a joke. My
Daughter plays at a top d2 program and got a wonderful offer. My niece “plays” on a top ten d1 team. They get no money and she sits. Why? So my brother can pound his chest. That’s ok. My kid will come out with no debt and she’s happy. And yes. They lift 3x a week and practice 6. All while taking an 18 credit load in the fall. I laugh when I listen to people sometimes
Bart

Post by Bart »

Fischer wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:17 pm

I’m agreeing with you. I’m saying d2 athletes have a stigma as being less in some people’s eyes. Which is a joke. My
Daughter plays at a top d2 program and got a wonderful offer. My niece “plays” on a top ten d1 team. They get no money and she sits. Why? So my brother can pound his chest. That’s ok. My kid will come out with no debt and she’s happy. And yes. They lift 3x a week and practice 6. All while taking an 18 credit load in the fall. I laugh when I listen to people sometimes
+100. When we went through the entire recruiting thing one coach said: " A buck is a buck.....whether it is from a D1 or D2 school". The stigma is just silly. Just go where you will be happy, be on a team and if you get some money....great. Be prepared to work for it however!

I will add one caveat to this however..there are teams at D2 that need alot.....alot of work. I believe the difference between the 50% mark and the bottom. of the division is much greater in D2 than D1. The top end is wonderful lacrosse to watch but if you have the chance to watch the lower end (and you should IMO) be prepared to scratch your head.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Bart wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:23 pm

+100. When we went through the entire recruiting thing one coach said: " A buck is a buck.....whether it is from a D1 or D2 school". The stigma is just silly. Just go where you will be happy, be on a team and if you get some money....great. Be prepared to work for it however!

I will add one caveat to this however..there are teams at D2 that need alot.....alot of work. I believe the difference between the 50% mark and the bottom. of the division is much greater in D2 than D1. The top end is wonderful lacrosse to watch but if you have the chance to watch the lower end (and you should IMO) be prepared to scratch your head.
I have to be honest. I haven’t watched much. I do watch a lot of d1 just because they televise it. I get what you mean. I have seen some d3 games that are worse than high school ball. Almost painful. My d1 niece does get a LOT of cool stuff so I get the draw. Just more money for things with those schools. But I would rather pay for cleats and a jacket than 50k tuition 😂
Bart

Post by Bart »

Fischer wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:38 pm
Bart wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:23 pm

I have to be honest. I haven’t watched much. I do watch a lot of d1 just because they televise it. I get what you mean. I have seen some d3 games that are worse than high school ball. Almost painful. My d1 niece does get a LOT of cool stuff so I get the draw. Just more money for things with those schools. But I would rather pay for cleats and a jacket than 50k tuition 😂
I find that D2 does a real nice job streaming their games and for the most part are free (watch this will all change this year). You can see the top midwest teams regularly (Regis, Lindenwood, UIndy). Unfortunately I believe GVSU is a pay feed but they are fun to watch and well coached. Most of the southern schools are free and you get some real good match ups down there. Currently most of the PSAC is free but rumor is they are changing some things so who knows on that one.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Bart & others - been reading the D2 board to get a little more knowledgeable on the D2 schools. My experience is pretty much limited to West Chester and some other PSAC schools because of the their/my location and i know of a lot of the kids that go to West Chester.

Question - how did Indy pop up as a powerhouse so quickly? Is it their style of play, recruiting, coaching, combination? I only came across them accidently because of a kid they recruited that I was connected to.
Bart

Post by Bart »

8meterPA wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:29 am Bart & others - been reading the D2 board to get a little more knowledgeable on the D2 schools. My experience is pretty much limited to West Chester and some other PSAC schools because of the their/my location and i know of a lot of the kids that go to West Chester.

Question - how did Indy pop up as a powerhouse so quickly? Is it their style of play, recruiting, coaching, combination? I only came across them accidently because of a kid they recruited that I was connected to.
I can give it a try 8MPa. I do not know if I would call them a powerhouse yet but they are definitely on the rise. The school wants to win and as such they treat their athletes well. Facilities are good (nice weigh room ect..) and they built a practice field when they started the lacrosse programs. I believe their "swag" is at the level of many D1 schools.

School itself if pretty good but I am a firm believer you get out of college directly what you put into it. They have a good nursing program and pre-allied health programs. Started an engineering program recently. Not the greatest neighborhood but not the worse and only a quick drive/ride to downtown Indy. All good for recruiting, IMO. A look at the roster just shows how diverse his recruits/players are.

Coach, again imo, is a real good recruiter. He recruits from everywhere. They must have a decent budget for it as he and his staff are all over the place including north of the boarder. He has hit the transfer portal and so far they have seemed to work out for the most part. They are not afraid to travel to play a game against tough competition so that also is a great selling point to a recruit.

Young coach and needs some seasoning but seems to be growing into the role. His teams are fundamentally sound and they work on that quite a bit from what I am told. The players seemed to have bought in.

Full boat with on campus housing is just under 50K. They offer nice academic scholarships that can be stacked with any athletic money so it makes the entire process "fairly" affordable.

Will be interesting to see how they fair this year. On paper they look real strong but like all seasons will they jell.

BTW...he did just pick up 2 real nice players from the Philly area in the portal this past summer.
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

Bart wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:44 pm
8meterPA wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:29 am Bart & others - been reading the D2 board to get a little more knowledgeable on the D2 schools. My experience is pretty much limited to West Chester and some other PSAC schools because of the their/my location and i know of a lot of the kids that go to West Chester.

I can give it a try 8MPa. I do not know if I would call them a powerhouse yet but they are definitely on the rise. The school wants to win and as such they treat their athletes well. Facilities are good (nice weigh room ect..) and they built a practice field when they started the lacrosse programs. I believe their "swag" is at the level of many D1 schools.

School itself if pretty good but I am a firm believer you get out of college directly what you put into it. They have a good nursing program and pre-allied health programs. Started an engineering program recently. Not the greatest neighborhood but not the worse and only a quick drive/ride to downtown Indy. All good for recruiting, IMO. A look at the roster just shows how diverse his recruits/players are.

Coach, again imo, is a real good recruiter. He recruits from everywhere. They must have a decent budget for it as he and his staff are all over the place including north of the boarder. He has hit the transfer portal and so far they have seemed to work out for the most part. They are not afraid to travel to play a game against tough competition so that also is a great selling point to a recruit.

Young coach and needs some seasoning but seems to be growing into the role. His teams are fundamentally sound and they work on that quite a bit from what I am told. The players seemed to have bought in.

Full boat with on campus housing is just under 50K. They offer nice academic scholarships that can be stacked with any athletic money so it makes the entire process "fairly" affordable.

Will be interesting to see how they fair this year. On paper they look real strong but like all seasons will they jell.

BTW...he did just pick up 2 real nice players from the Philly area in the portal this past summer.
Indy was the first coach to reach out to my daughter when she entered the portal. We did not know anything about D2 programs too much, and she was not willing to go that far away. I had no idea they won the championship and they will be 100% a team to watch

Return to “D2 WOMENS LACROSSE”