Notable Sayings, Scenarios and Stories from the World of Sports

General Chatter
OuttaNowhereWregget

Notable Sayings, Scenarios and Stories from the World of Sports

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

The other day here in Boston, the Red Sox finally won a game against the division leading Tampa Bay Rays by a score of 20-8. Immediately I thought of a typical saying that is expressed whenever a team scores an inordinate number of runs. I posed this question to a coworker—“What’s a typical thing that gets said after a team scores that many runs?” He’s my age (late50’s/early 60’s) so he knew—“Why don’t you save some of those runs for some other games!” We both laughed.

That’s an example of why I’m starting this topic. The world of sports is rich with such sayings.

A scenario I enjoy immensely is the bottom of the 9th or any inning when a walk off win is possible. With one swing of the bat the game can end in dramatic fashion.

A story I recently shared with another FL member was from an excellent book I read about the Brooklyn Dodgers called “Bums: An Oral History of the Brooklyn Dodgers”

Hilda Chester who was an ardent regular at Ebbets Field got into an exchange with an umpire. She said something along the lines of: ”If you were my husband I'd feed you poison!" The umpire was reported to have replied: "Lady, if I was married to you, I'd eat it."

So, those are just a few examples of thousands upon thousands of sayings, scenarios and stories that exist in the Wide World of Sports, which in itself is a story from a bygone day:

44WeWantMore

Re: Notable Sayings, Scenarios and Stories from the World of Sports

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
OuttaNowhereWregget

In hockey, when the shooter hits the post, to discount the notion that the goaltender was lucky, an announcer may be heard to say, "The goalie played the angle so well, all he left him was the post."

OuttaNowhereWregget

One predictable saying typically follows a fairly well-liked player who gets traded after a short time with one club: "Joe, we hardly knew ye."
OuttaNowhereWregget

Specific to Boston in Fenway Park when a home run is blasted over the wall (The Green Monster) in left.

"That one’s headed for the Mass Pike--westbound! "

(The westbound lane is the farthest from the park in the photo)

OuttaNowhereWregget

Great clip from The History of the AFL. Abner Haynes describes the humorous circumstance which led to him choosing the Dallas Texans over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

This is a great 5 part series on the history of the AFL which is available in its entirety on YouTube

https://youtu.be/_7OA6koTK_E
OuttaNowhereWregget

I recall being at Fenway Park back in the early 70s. We would always sit in the bleachers which back then cost about three bucks. This one particular night we’re sitting in the stands watching the game and all of a sudden this cheer went up. There was nothing happening in the game so I looked around to see this guy carrying a crazy number of cups of beer back to his seat. He was grasping 4 cups with his fingers in one hand and 4 cups with the other. He also had one he was carrying with his teeth, and every once in a while he would pause, tip his head back and take a sip. Of course nowadays, with new restrictions on alcohol, a concession stand would never allow one person to buy 9 cups of beer. But that was quite a sight and quite a good laugh back in the good old days of Boston Red Sox baseball at Fenway Pahk before the “pink hats”, when John Kiley still played the organ, before the constantly playing rock music, and the constantly flashing pictures and videos on the “jumbotron” scoreboard, when you could just enjoy the sights and sounds of the ballpark.
OuttaNowhereWregget

After Red Sox relief pitcher Hansel Robles gave up five runs to the Minnesota Twins on two bombs in the top of the 10th to lose 9-6 the other day, a caller into sports radio had a nice line:

“The only surprising part was waking up to find out Robles wasn’t placed on the DL with a sprained neck watching all those balls fly out of the park.”
OuttaNowhereWregget

On the original Monday Night Football, former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Don Meredith used to sing a few bars of this song when the game was well in hand, usually later in the game. I still enjoy singing it every once in a while today when the situation warrants.

OuttaNowhereWregget

This is a famous rant from then Boston Celtics head coach Rick Pitino when he sounded off on the negativity of the media coverage in Boston. This press conference is still quoted from today in Beantown. Pitino was also famous for having dubbed Boston Sports Talk Radio as "The Fellowship of the Miserable". Too funny.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Felger and Mazz are famous for their hilarious discussions around sports and math. This one is classic.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Here's a negative but notable event in high school sports:

high school soccer coach apologized after letting a player score 17 goals against winless team

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... d=msedgntp

Hubbell's performance that day set the state and national records for most goals in a high school game, something that he and his coach had discussed during the game, per the Traverse City Record-Eagle, a local daily ... The shutout loss was "pretty demoralizing," said Kingsley head coach Tim VanWingerden, per the Record-Eagle.

"To go after a personal record like that at the cost of another team's dignity was a little uncalled for. Soccer is not the right place for that. Soccer is a gentleman's sport," he said.

Happens far too often here in Lake Wobegone. For some reason, all too often we have david v goliath games in every sport every year. Parents and kids have complained about it for decades but far too little has been done about it
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Soccer is a gentleman's sport played by ruffians.
Rugby is a ruffian's sport played by gentlemen.
Cricket is a gentleman's sport played by gentlemen.
Football * is a ruffian's sport played by ruffians.

* When I heard this, Football meant Aussie Rules Football, but we can translate if we like to.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:40 pm Soccer is a gentleman's sport played by ruffians.
Rugby is a ruffian's sport played by gentlemen.
Cricket is a gentleman's sport played by gentlemen.
Football * is a ruffian's sport played by ruffians.

* When I heard this, Football meant Aussie Rules Football, but we can translate if we like to.
I’ve shared this before but if you haven’t seen it you’ll appreciate it.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x71ai83

Football is attempted murder.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Drcthru wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:22 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:04 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:06 pm
AreaLax wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:59 am Tomorrow is the beginning of NLI signing. Here is IL list:

AJ Larkin D Loyola Blakefield 5 stars
Will Schaller LSM The Hill School 5 stars
Brian Ruppel G Catonsville High School 5 stars
Aidan Aitken M Salisbury School 4 stars
Eliot Dubick A /Winston Churchill High School 4 stars
Ethan Burke A Westlake High School 4 stars; also has Football offers
George Stamos D West Potomac High School 4 stars
Marco Signorello M. Paul VI Catholic High School 4 stars
Mitch Lloyd FO. St Joseph's Preparatory School 4 stars
Trace Davidson M Salisbury School/ Reclass to the ‘22 4 stars
Braden Erksa A Lassiter High School 4 stars
Riley Reese D St Marys High School 3 stars
Eric Kolar M Urbana High School /PG Hill School
George Stamos is a QB/receiver on the West Potomac HS football team. Best athlete on the team. He will be a force at UMD.
just about every kid at umd is the best athlete at their high school. getting to the terps from west potomac means he can play. next is how he competes.
Joe Garagiola, who grew up a few doors down from Yogi Berra, said "many Major Leaguers are the best in the state. I wasn't the best on my block".
OuttaNowhereWregget

From Dan Shaughnessy's column in the Boston Globe

"In this space last weekend, we asked for submissions of Boston sports “duende” moments, like the Kyle Schwarber mock ovation when the Schwarb made a clean play in the playoffs, and the famous “Beat LA” chant at the Old Garden in 1982.

The response was overwhelming. Dozens of you fondly recalled the Red Sox home opener in 2005, when all the Yankees were booed during introductions right up until closer Mariano Rivera received a standing ovation for his role in the 2004 playoffs (Rivera blew the save in Game 4 when Dave Roberts triggered a comeback for the ages with the Stolen Base Heard ’Round the World).

There were plenty of other great suggestions, some too dated, arcane, or difficult to prove.

Some duende nuggets that made the cut: Ray Bourque giving his No. 7 jersey to Phil Esposito and switching to No. 77 when Espo was honored at the Old Garden in 1987; a long standing ovation for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar when he set the NBA field goal record at the Old Garden in 1984; TD Garden fans singing the national anthem a capella before the first Bruins game after the Marathon bombings; Fenway fans chanting “steroids” at Jose Canseco in 1988, long before anybody knew it was true; Cape Cod families annually opening their homes to host college baseball players for Cape League summers; Globe Pulitzer winner Stan Grossfeld getting the photo of bullpen cop Steve Horgan making a perfect “W” by raising his arms next to an upside-down Torii Hunter when David Ortiz’s homer changed the 2013 ALCS.

Also: An exasperated Dave Cowens, annoyed with flopping defenders and ticky-tack calls, blasting Mike Newlin off the parquet floor in a game in 1976, then announcing, “Now that’s a foul!’’; Fenway fans chanting “Where is Roger?” and “In the shower!” when the Rocket was KO’d early by the Sox in Game 3 of the 1999 ALCS; a leather-lunged fan in the Old Garden balcony hollering, “We love ya, Cous!” on Bob Cousy Day in 1963; Gillette Stadium fans gleefully tossing snow after Tedy Bruschi’s pick-6 against the Dolphins in 2003; a home run ball tossed back into Fenway from Lansdowne Street. (How did they know it was a visitor’s home run ball?)"

The moment in italics is my personal favorite--especially the part where Rivera provokes a standing mock ovation. LOLOL. TFF.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The response was overwhelming. Dozens of you fondly recalled the Red Sox home opener in 2005, when all the Yankees were booed during introductions right up until closer Mariano Rivera received a standing ovation for his role in the 2004 playoffs (Rivera blew the save in Game 4 when Dave Roberts triggered a comeback for the ages with the Stolen Base Heard ’Round the World).

Over the years I have given Boston absolute He11 over its cheating teams such as Red Auderbach who always had the referees in his pocket, the New England Cheatriots, or the gang up brawling style (which inspired the creation of the Broad Street Bullies) used by the Bruins in their quest for the Stanley Cup. When they lose nobody celebrates more than I do. But you gotta give them credit when they succeed. Roberts' stolen base in that playoff game effectively killed the Curse of the Bambino and turned BoSox's fortunes around. I do believe it was one of the single most memorable moments in MLB history.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

richard

Post by richard »

In 1979 the Orioles had a good team. Hard to believe. In section 34 upper deck at Memorial Stadium Wild Bill Hagy had set up shop and became somewhat a local hero, leading cheers among other things. A local broadcaster, who himself had issues, would regularly come up and visit. Every time he was greeted by Hagy saying loudly “ Kiss my a* s it’s Marty Bass.” Hagy has passed on and Marty somehow still has a job. When ever I see him on TV I think of that. :D
OuttaNowhereWregget

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:59 am

Over the years I have given Boston absolute He11 over its cheating teams such as Red Auerbach who always had the referees in his pocket, the New England Cheatriots, or the gang up brawling style (which inspired the creation of the Broad Street Bullies) used by the Bruins in their quest for the Stanley Cup. When they lose nobody celebrates more than I do. But you gotta give them credit when they succeed. Roberts' stolen base in that playoff game effectively killed the Curse of the Bambino and turned BoSox's fortunes around. I do believe it was one of the single most memorable moments in MLB history.
"When they lose nobody celebrates more than I do." Hail fellow well met. Always nice to meet another participant in Sports Schadenfreude.

That's the Cheatriots and the Red Sox in Boston for me. I'm glad every time they lose. The more humiliating and embarrassing the loss, the better. The Maryland Terps in women's lacrosse, the Montreal Canadiens in hockey, and last but not least, the Dallas Cowboys in football.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:16 am "When they lose nobody celebrates more than I do." Hail fellow well met. Always nice to meet another participant in Sports Schadenfreude.

That's the Cheatriots and the Red Sox in Boston for me. I'm glad every time they lose. The more humiliating and embarrassing the loss, the better. The Maryland Terps in women's lacrosse, the Montreal Canadiens in hockey, and last but not least, the Dallas Cowboys in football.

One day I was in the Yankee Stadium men's room relieving myself when a drunk Yankees fan kept screaming all kinds of vilification against the Sox. One guy made the mistake of trying to defend Boston and was met with a knuckle sandwich from the drunk. The punch sounded so loud you would have sworn it was a shot gun blast. Some shouting and brawling started to happen but I didn't stick around to watch.

At Yankee stadium I shouted myself hoarse by yelling "Boston suxx, Boston suxx, Boston suxx" as did many others. It sure was fun.

As for those DallASS Cowgurls, puke!

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”