Post by molo »

Brian Holman has stepped down.
Marooned

Re: Utah

Post by Marooned »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Any insight on Brian's decision process?
Was he nudged out, or was this indeed something he'd long intended?

Any insight on Adam's or Marcus' next steps?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:12 pm Any insight on Brian's decision process?
Was he nudged out, or was this indeed something he'd long intended?

Any insight on Adam's or Marcus' next steps?
The timing is beyond bizarre. Kids about to return to campus and fall ball starting soon. To be clear I have precisely zero inside information but the fact that it's happening in August has me leaning toward "nudged out." Unless he's had a health scare or some other personal reason that'd make him want to leave suddenly, which is always possible. But it's never the plan to have a coaching change this late in the summer. Wish Brian the best—have met him once or twice and he's a terrific guy.
Meatpuppet

Post by Meatpuppet »

Ha
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Between competing at a respectable level in NCAA DI and assembling a world class coaching staff, Coach Holman has a lot to be proud of.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

They have very impressive asst. coaches there at Utah. Wouldn’t be surprised to see his son Marcus land the head job.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

TNLAX wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:27 am They have very impressive asst. coaches there at Utah. Wouldn’t be surprised to see his son Marcus land the head job.
BCS jobs should not be going to a guy with no head coaching experience, and no collegiate coaching experience outside of working for your dad as an assistant.

Their press release makes it sound like they will look far and wide for the replacement. I would be shocked if this job went to Marcus Holman. Marcus may be a great coach, and person. But most of the time, head jobs at this level go to guys with much longer and diverse resumes.

Brad Ross at Navy could be a good fit out there. Young, experience at OSU recruiting to a non hot bed BCS school. Trying to think of some others. Five years ago I would have said Brown at Denver; but think he must be close to taking over for the Big Man.

Any others?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I have mixed feelings on him but Peet Poillon pups have a shot. Still a semi sexy name due to MLL and has credentials.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:41 am
TNLAX wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:27 am They have very impressive asst. coaches there at Utah. Wouldn’t be surprised to see his son Marcus land the head job.
BCS jobs should not be going to a guy with no head coaching experience, and no collegiate coaching experience outside of working for your dad as an assistant.

Their press release makes it sound like they will look far and wide for the replacement. I would be shocked if this job went to Marcus Holman. Marcus may be a great coach, and person. But most of the time, head jobs at this level go to guys with much longer and diverse resumes.

Brad Ross at Navy could be a good fit out there. Young, experience at OSU recruiting to a non hot bed BCS school. Trying to think of some others. Five years ago I would have said Brown at Denver; but think he must be close to taking over for the Big Man.

Any others?
The gals appear to hire HC's younger.
See Syracuse.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

March?
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

If there's one person inside Utah to take over it's Will Manny. Marcus was just elevated to a full-time role this past season. Manny's been coaching the offense a good bit but switched over to the defensive side this past season with Ghitelman moving to the volunteer position.

I don't know how many outside candidates have a clue of the profile of the job so I would think there'll be a good amount of applicants doing their due diligence. Utah needs to make a splash hire. And I'm also ruling out Petro, not the right job for him despite it being a Power 5 job. Plus, not getting exposure being in the ASUN as much as you would being an assistant in the ACC, especially at Cuse. He'll wait for a Big Ten job.
118:24 #HHH
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cuseman4133 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:09 am If there's one person inside Utah to take over it's Will Manny. Marcus was just elevated to a full-time role this past season. Manny's been coaching the offense a good bit but switched over to the defensive side this past season with Ghitelman moving to the volunteer position.

I don't know how many outside candidates have a clue of the profile of the job so I would think there'll be a good amount of applicants doing their due diligence. Utah needs to make a splash hire. And I'm also ruling out Petro, not the right job for him despite it being a Power 5 job. Plus, not getting exposure being in the ASUN as much as you would being an assistant in the ACC, especially at Cuse. He'll wait for a Big Ten job.
OSU or Mich
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Don’t see Marcus getting the job. His fiancée lives in Baltimore so see him heading back east.

Now would Petro or Desko want the job? Could be similar to what happened at Denver.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

One possibility,

Leaving at this time increases the chances that one of his assistants is tapped at least in an interim role.
FCCTlaxFan

Post by FCCTlaxFan »

laxpert wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:58 am One possibility,

Leaving at this time increases the chances that one of his assistants is tapped at least in an interim role.
That was my 1st thought as well but it might be a cynical way of looking at it.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:15 am Don’t see Marcus getting the job. His fiancée lives in Baltimore so see him heading back east.

Now would Petro or Desko want the job? Could be similar to what happened at Denver.
Tierney had a connection at Denver since his son was living there (and became a member of his staff). Neither Petro or Desko have that sort of connection to Utah. Not saying you need that, but Tierney to Denver seemed unique since he had family connection. I'd be really surprised if Desko decided to uproot his life and move cross country to take on such a young and daunting challenge. At his press conference he sounded like a man who was happy to sit by the lake and take it easy. I also don't see the fit for Petro, 'Cuse gives him more visibility and doing well there is probably easier than taking over such a young program, if his ultimate goal is to take over a high profile Big 10/ACC school, which I beleive is his stated goal.

The timing reminds me a bit of the Cornell situation, they gave interim tags to a young staff as well. Regarding Marcus Holman, it probably depends on how the exit with his dad went - if it was not on good terms I doubt he would be named the next coach. Since all three play professionally together and seem really close, it seems like they would be a package deal of sorts. Naming one the head coach and the other two full time assistants makes sense. But again, if Brian Holman isn't leaving the best of terms, the rest are probably loyal to him. The fact that they didn't name one of the interim head coach in the press release makes me think it will be someone from outside the program.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I'd be very surprised to see Marcus take over. That program has has massive turnover of players every year. I would imagine that the University is concerned about the staff in general. Why would they replace Holman with someone who might be part of the problem?

I like Marcus, Brian and Will Manny. But they have not built a team culture that is sustainable with the constant turnover of players each year. There has to be a reason behind that.
FCCTlaxFan

Post by FCCTlaxFan »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:35 am I'd be very surprised to see Marcus take over. That program has has massive turnover of players every year. I would imagine that the University is concerned about the staff in general. Why would they replace Holman with someone who might be part of the problem?

I like Marcus, Brian and Will Manny. But they have not built a team culture that is sustainable with the constant turnover of players each year. There has to be a reason behind that.
That's interesting to hear. They seem like good guys you (and your kids) would be excited to play for. I wonder if the geography has been a recruiting and retention issue for the program.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FCCTlaxFan wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:08 am
laxpert wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:58 am One possibility,

That was my 1st thought as well but it might be a cynical way of looking at it.
This happens often. I thought the same thing.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”