Northwestern Wildcats

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Northwestern Wildcats

Post by Cletus »

2021 was a storied year for the Wildcats. Due to the Big 10's decision, all teams in conference stayed in conference until the NCAA's. While NU played in conference they were indomitable. They destroyed their arch nemesis Maryland in back to back games in late March, then dismissed them in the Big 10 final for the 2nd time in a row without much trouble.

However--when they got to the NCAA semifinals, they were absolutely stomped and humiliated by Syracuse. I thought at the time the Wildcats were replaced by a group of imposters. They played way out of character and completely without discipline or help from the coaching staff to adjust to how closely the refs were calling the game. 5 yellow cards in the first half, 3 in the first 10 minutes, 3 to NU. It was stupefying why coach Kelly didn't make necessary adjustments. The Cats went on unrestrained in the 2nd half for 5 more yellows--and because of the 3 they incurred in the 1st half, each one of those 2nd half 5 were non-releasable. They played shorthanded for 10 minutes--one third of the 2nd half. Baffles me that they never adjusted. All the blame has to go to coach Kelly for that.

However, there were some very bright spots during 2021. Super Sophomore Erin Coykendall, in her first full season, had a great year for NU. She is a very nifty player and does a lot of things in the offensive end that make a body say Wow! multiple times during games. No mistake they gave her Selena Lasota's still warm jersey number. She is a silent and deadly assassin when it comes to setting up her teammates, or scoring a goal when the more obvious goal scoring threats are all being well defended. Erin has an amazing repertoire of moves close in to cage. She finished in the top 10 in assists and assists per game. She had an insane game vs Rutgers in the Big 10 tourney, dishing 9 assists to 7 different teammates. She will be even more deadly next year.

Lots of great players and performances during 2021 still to look back over as the early stages of Hot Stove season begins .
seacoaster

Re: Northwestern Wildcats

Post by seacoaster »

Storied?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

My take away from NW in 2021 was that they were wildly overrated and completely and utterly embarrassed by a short handed Syracuse team. They were the top team in an overrated conference and padded stats against cream puffs.

They literally would not have won a game if they were in the ACC

Am I doing this right? :D
Bart

Post by Bart »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:36 pm My take away from NW in 2021 was that they were wildly overrated and completely and utterly embarrassed by a short handed Syracuse team. They were the top team in an overrated conference and padded stats against cream puffs.

They literally would not have won a game if they were in the ACC

Am I doing this right? :D
Your close. Keep at it.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

There are a few players in this underclass list who show great promise. We already looked at Erin Coykendall. A few other players stand out on this list. Dylan Amonte (pictured), who is the daughter of former NHL player Tony Amonte and niece of coach Kelly. She's got a wicked shot. Good gene pool. Then Leah Holmes who saw some time and showed flashes of becoming a capable goal scorer. I have no idea who NU might pick up through the portal or who will be among the incoming firstyears. We'll see if they can put together another season in the top 5 in '22.

I'm sure after the dismal showing in the semifinal and the bad taste that left, there will be an added motivation to take the next step, which for them would be making it back to the final for the first time since 2010.

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Isabelle Rae Scane scored 98 goals in 16 games in '21. She would have vaporized the single season goal record had she played 21 games like Charlotte North. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Scane will score as prodigiously in '22. How much of the supporting cast will return?

Lotta big names and significant contributors on offense, defense and the draw in this group. Although there is a real chemistry developing between Izzy and Erin Coykendall, it will make it easier for other teams to defend Scane if a portion of these seniors graduates.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Some of you who haven't been following too closely might see this as a bottle of wine.
Others might recognize it for what it really is, batch #3, The Chuck-Halle variety.
It rocks, is of gorgeous color, and is ever so tempting and inviting. Berries from the
gods! Mac's the name, mulberries the game.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:20 am Some of you who haven't been following too closely might see this as a bottle of wine.
Others might recognize it for what it really is, batch #3, The Chuck-Halle variety.
It rocks, is of gorgeous color, and is ever so tempting and inviting. Berries from the
Mulberries look good, but the lacrosse ball looks like a serious greaser.
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's funny. Took that ball and stick down to the watering hole this past season for a guy who wanted to see it (a real lax nut, good guy). His and his brother's first comment was, holy schidt, how old is that ball?? That beauty's been around for at least three decades and probably more like four. She doesn't have the same bounce she used to but the old gal is still fun to chase around and play with. :D
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

I’ll see your greaser and raise you a 1983 game ball. If you hang onto them long enough, they lose the grease and gain a more textured surface that is stickier in the mesh.
Attachments
FDDFEEEA-EDBC-40CB-9E14-87BCB9AC8D05.jpeg
FDDFEEEA-EDBC-40CB-9E14-87BCB9AC8D05.jpeg (31.75 KiB) Viewed 4374 times
DMac

Post by DMac »

Very nice!!
Bart

Post by Bart »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:49 am I’ll see your greaser and raise you a 1983 game ball. If you hang onto them long enough, they lose the grease and gain a more textured surface that is stickier in the mesh.
Well, what is written on that game ball?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:49 am I’ll see your greaser and raise you a 1983 game ball. If you hang onto them long enough, they lose the grease and gain a more textured surface that is stickier in the mesh.
Now that is one fugly ball man.

Ever throw around an MLL ball, with the corrugated surface that holds the ball and exploits whip?
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Bart wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:15 pm
Well, what is written on that game ball?
I had a feeling you may ask about that. It's not Hobart, sadly. That would have been way above my pay grade back then.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:14 am
DMac wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:20 am Some of you who haven't been following too closely might see this as a bottle of wine.
looks like a field hockey ball!
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

8meterPA wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:30 pm
seacoaster wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:14 am
looks like a field hockey ball!
I like the purple Haudenosaunee string in the crosse.
Cletus

From the glory years

Post by Cletus »

Northwestern team records

Consecutive victories: 41 – May 3, 2008 to Apr 18, 2010

Consecutive home victories: 58 – May 13, 2004 to Apr 18, 2010

Consecutive road victories: 22 – Feb 17, 2009 to Mar 26, 2011

Consecutive conference victories: 38 – Mar 5, 2005 to Apr 8, 2011

Shannon Smith (center) celebrates Northwestern's win over Maryland in the 2011 NCAA final.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Katrina Dowd

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Shannon Smith

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I'm glad there are still pictures preserved from when the Wildcats ruled the NCAA.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”