Northwestern Wildcats

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Wildcats release “No Duck” 2022 schedule

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

cltlax

Re: Northwestern Wildcats

Post by cltlax »

Northwestern managed to get UNC and Syracuse on the schedule...
OuttaNowhereWregget

cltlax wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:33 am Northwestern managed to get UNC and Syracuse on the schedule...
Imagine that. And they even kept their annual date with Boston College, even after the Eagles became national champions.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:45 am
cltlax wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:33 am Northwestern managed to get UNC and Syracuse on the schedule...
Imagine that. And they even kept their annual date with Boston College, even after the Eagles became national champions.
As it is said...to be the best, you need to play the best....
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:43 pm
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Yes, I would guess that KAH thinks she had a winning group last year, if only they could have been meaningfully tested in the regular season.
OuttaNowhereWregget

seacoaster wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:49 pm
Yes, I would guess that KAH thinks she had a winning group last year, if only they could have been meaningfully tested in the regular season.
Do you think it would have mattered if they were going to meet Syracuse in the semi’s anyway? I don’t know if it would have made a difference. In 2019 there were no scheduling restrictions due to covid, the Cats played their typically difficult schedule, and they still got their doors blown off in the semi’s by Maryland. Granted, younger team, not as experienced or talented as the 2021 edition. But both versions got very similar results. Just a thot.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:11 pm
Do you think it would have mattered if they were going to meet Syracuse in the semi’s anyway? I don’t know if it would have made a difference. In 2019 there were no scheduling restrictions due to covid, the Cats played their typically difficult schedule, and they still got their doors blown off in the semi’s by Maryland. Granted, younger team, not as experienced or talented as the 2021 edition. But both versions got very similar results. Just a thot.
Well NW had just beaten MD in the Big Ten Championship so I'm not sure one thing had anything to do with the other that year. Sometimes games like that happen.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:15 pm
Well NW had just beaten MD in the Big Ten Championship so I'm not sure one thing had anything to do with the other that year. Sometimes games like that happen.
I’m not quite sure what your point is. Not you, probably me. Sometimes I need things spelled out. What did NU beating Maryland in the Big 10 championship in 2019 have to do with the two semifinal losses?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:32 pm
I’m not quite sure what your point is. Not you, probably me. Sometimes I need things spelled out. What did NU beating Maryland in the Big 10 championship in 2019 have to do with the two semifinal losses?
As you said, NW played a normal schedule that year which should have had them more prepared for the postseason. You mentioned that even though they should have been more prepared they got smoked by MD. Point is they also beat MD a few weeks prior so I'm not sure how much difference it made one way or another.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:46 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:32 pm
As you said, NW played a normal schedule that year which should have had them more prepared for the postseason. You mentioned that even though they should have been more prepared they got smoked by MD. Point is they also beat MD a few weeks prior so I'm not sure how much difference it made one way or another.
Thanks for clarifying that. Yes, that’s the essence of it. We’ll see if coach Kelly’s strategy of scheduling the top toughest teams during the regular season will do the trick this year when they get to the NCAA’s.
OuttaNowhereWregget

In a sense, I am all the more looking forward to Northwestern’s season next year because I want to see who might step in to fill the breach. Maybe it will be multiple players, or maybe none, but it will still be interesting to track. Perhaps there are some players who didn’t go all out due to shyness or maybe respect for the seniors or a sense of security knowing that Izzy Scane was on the team. I don’t know. Just thinking.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:13 pm In a sense, I am all the more looking forward to Northwestern’s season next year because I want to see who might step in to fill the breach. Maybe it will be multiple players, or maybe none, but it will still be interesting to track. Perhaps there are some players who didn’t go all out due to shyness or maybe respect for the seniors or a sense of security knowing that Izzy Scane was on the team. I don’t know. Just thinking.
NW's big problem over the last few years. I don't see how they've corrected that. I think they will still score plenty of goals but I don't think they will be able to stop good teams. Can't have to score 20 to win in those games.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Yes, I think teams have a trajectory and the best teams improve every day. Every coach at the highest level worth his or her salary plays the regular season...for the playoffs. You start in January with practice and conditioning and try to improve every day, in some area or another. And hope that come May, you are the best you can be, the healthiest you can be, and the luckiest you can be.

Witness Boston College last year. BC just got better and better, and that is, at least in part, the result of being tested every few days. They played UNC and demystified the aura surrounding those Carolina blue jerseys. You heard Belle Smith: once they had played UNC, BC understood what it might take to pick them off.

So I think it is conceivable that NU would have given Syracuse a much better run in the semis if they had played UNC and Syracuse in the regular season, as they did -- and lost I think -- in 2019, a year I think NU had an inferior team to the one that was -- or could have been with a good schedule -- in 2021. NU was a top four team last year: the proof of the pudding is in the eating. So the margins between these teams at that level are very thin. A better regular season schedule prepares a team for battle.

I think Maryland may rue the day they reduced the competitiveness of their schedule.

All JMO.
DMac

Post by DMac »

....and a very good JMO, IMO. It only makes sense that if you shy away from playing strong teams, and likely ones you'll see in the post season, it's going to come back to haunt you. Best to experience that caliber team, that level of play, otherwise you lull yourself into a false sense of how "really good" you are. Simmons Jr. always wanted to play the best, didn't shy away from any team. Opened with Hopkins in '89 after going undefeated in '88. Hopkins beat 'em at Homewood 14-13 (was there).
Met 'em again on Memorial Day, Cuse beat 'em 13-12.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Interesting points well made. Got me wondering about JMU’s championship season. Sure enough, they had a tough loss in their 9th game against the superior Terps which turned out to be the wakeup call they needed. It was their only loss in 2018. And they also graduated 9 that year.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Wow - did not realize just how loaded the NW non-conference schedule is. 4 top ACC schools (UNC, BC, ND and Cuse) and Stony Brook. I normally give credit to coaches for playing tough schedules but this might be too much on the players. Let's hope Stanford at least plays a few of these schools.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Lax101 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:41 pm Wow - did not realize just how loaded the NW non-conference schedule is. 4 top ACC schools (UNC, BC, ND and Cuse) and Stony Brook. I normally give credit to coaches for playing tough schedules but this might be too much on the players. Let's hope Stanford at least plays a few of these schools.
I think she knows that she's going to rip through the B1G, and needs the games for film, measurement and battle-testing of the kids. Smart.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Not so sure they will rip through anything without Scane. As a coach you need to be careful about pushing your team too hard. Hard to win anything if kids are beat up or out with injuries. That is why you will see ACC schools playing fairly light out of conference games.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:13 pm In a sense, I am all the more looking forward to Northwestern’s season next year because I want to see who might step in to fill the breach. Maybe it will be multiple players, or maybe none, but it will still be interesting to track. Perhaps there are some players who didn’t go all out due to shyness or maybe respect for the seniors or a sense of security knowing that Izzy Scane was on the team. I don’t know. Just thinking.
NU can score with anyone. Missing Scane this season will create an opportunity for another young lady. Stopping the opposition has really been the problem. Kelly took over the defense for the last couple of seasons and to be honest there didn’t appear to be much difference from her prior defensive coach, they were still really undisciplined ……. and well just plain bad. Sure they can dominate teams with less talent but in a head to head battle with a top 5 team who can hang with them scoring wise they will be exposed unless changes have been made. I think their vulnerability is caused by their constant pressure and always pushing out defensively to contest each pass leaving them reaching and lunging and out of position defensively. A good team who can move the ball will welcome this pressure. There’s a shot clock…….you really don’t need to fly out defensively and leave your self out of position. I’m surprised an innovator like KAH hasn’t adapted to the new game.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”