Northwestern Wildcats

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Northwestern Wildcats

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:13 am what does their freshmen class look like?
The magnificent seven?

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:44 am
seacoaster wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:13 am what does their freshmen class look like?
The magnificent seven?

Back to the tree recruiting :D
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

8meterPA wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:10 pm
Holy cow
Sorry to hear this. I was looking forward to the Scane-Gilbert show again this year.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:49 pm
Holy cow
Sorry to hear this. I was looking forward to the Scane-Gilbert show again this year.
Best of luck for a full and speedy recovery. The ACL issue within women's lacrosse is very troubling. I know that most programs have a vigorous ACL injury prevention workout regime. Adhering to that type of program can reduce the incidence by more than half, but as we are seeing this year at Syracuse, BC and NU, even the best-funded programs have issues. I wonder if there needs to be a full evaluation of this issue considering a broad range of solutions. There are challenges with every one of these paths, but I'll throw a few out there:
* Turf shoes only allowed -- no cleats longer than 1/2"
* Only grass fields allowed
* Prophylactic knee braces required
* Require MRI to determine risk of ACL injury (expense of this would be offset by the medical expenses of only one ACL repair)
* Limit on-field practice time, but increase amount of time allowed for team gym work
* Mandated "quiet periods" where no practice or games are allowed (fatigue is a factor in ACL injuries). This is analogous the NFLPA negotiating for bye weeks and no pads practices.
* Nutrition and sleep guidance -- required course for all coaches and D1 players
OuttaNowhereWregget

Could be a very interesting season for the Wildcats. There may be some players who get a lot more playing time who also turn out to be formidable. Maybe they work harder as a team now that their stud is gone for the season. I wouldn’t count Northwestern out of the conversation for championship weekend either.
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:26 pm
seacoaster wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:49 pm
Holy cow
Best of luck for a full and speedy recovery. The ACL issue within women's lacrosse is very troubling. I know that most programs have a vigorous ACL injury prevention workout regime. Adhering to that type of program can reduce the incidence by more than half, but as we are seeing this year at Syracuse, BC and NU, even the best-funded programs have issues. I wonder if there needs to be a full evaluation of this issue considering a broad range of solutions. There are challenges with every one of these paths, but I'll throw a few out there:
* Turf shoes only allowed -- no cleats longer than 1/2"
* Only grass fields allowed
* Prophylactic knee braces required
* Require MRI to determine risk of ACL injury (expense of this would be offset by the medical expenses of only one ACL repair)
* Limit on-field practice time, but increase amount of time allowed for team gym work
* Mandated "quiet periods" where no practice or games are allowed (fatigue is a factor in ACL injuries). This is analogous the NFLPA negotiating for bye weeks and no pads practices.
* Nutrition and sleep guidance -- required course for all coaches and D1 players
SOME TERRIFIC THOUGHTS... BUT TURF SHOES ON WET/SLICK SURFACES ARE REALLY DANGEROUS. ALSO TOO MANY YOUGER FEMALE PLAYERS PLAYING IN RUNNING TYPE SHOES THAT HAVE LITTLE IF ANY LATERAL SUPPORT.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Looks as if the wise old Natives knew what they were talking about. No lacrosse for the women.
https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/sport ... ner%20says.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dasher wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:56 pm SOME TERRIFIC THOUGHTS... BUT TURF SHOES ON WET/SLICK SURFACES ARE REALLY DANGEROUS. ALSO TOO MANY YOUGER FEMALE PLAYERS PLAYING IN RUNNING TYPE SHOES THAT HAVE LITTLE IF ANY LATERAL SUPPORT.
Why does this problem with footware exist?
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

Footwear can be an issue but with women/girls, they are 8 times more likley to tear an ACL then men during their menstrual cycle from what I have read.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

livelovelax wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:19 am Footwear can be an issue but with women/girls, they are 8 times more likley to tear an ACL then men during their menstrual cycle from what I have read.
That's true. Almost every girl I know that tore their acl did so during that time. As the Yale article states it has to do with the Estrogen production and the increase in the elasticity of their tendons.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

livelovelax wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:19 am Footwear can be an issue but with women/girls, they are 8 times more likley to tear an ACL then men during their menstrual cycle from what I have read.
Doesn't mean it's not true but the data doesn't seem to support this theory yet. At least from this study. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5524267/
Conclusion:
The literature suggests an association between hormonal fluctuations and ACL injury. Recent studies have suggested that oral contraceptives may offer up to a 20% reduction in risk of injury. The literature on ACL injuries and the menstrual cycle has more than doubled over the past decade, permitting quantitative analysis for the first time. However, the overall strength of this evidence is low. Promising potential directions for future research include long-term observational studies with ongoing hormonal assays and large interventional trials of follicular suppression, including newer hormonal methods.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:21 pm
Dasher wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:56 pm SOME TERRIFIC THOUGHTS... BUT TURF SHOES ON WET/SLICK SURFACES ARE REALLY DANGEROUS. ALSO TOO MANY YOUGER FEMALE PLAYERS PLAYING IN RUNNING TYPE SHOES THAT HAVE LITTLE IF ANY LATERAL SUPPORT.
Why does this problem with footware exist?
It's not necessarily be a "problem" with footwear, but the use of sneakers and shoes designed for other movements. Many sneakers, especially running sneakers like Dasher mentioned, are designed for sagittal plane (forward & backward) movements like walking or running. They're designed to help the foot move forward and don't have much lateral support. So they're actually is no problem with the design. They're designed very well for what they're supposed to do.

From what I've seen (and all I've seen is the odd "Nike Chrismtas" or "gear drop" photo on social media), P5 schools with big sponsorships actually do an okay job of getting training-specific shoes (ex. Nike Metcon) for their athletes (I don't see many running shoes given for lifting).

In my (unqualified) opinion prophylactic knee braces are a huge no & good luck trying to get the girls to wear them in a game where speed is crucial. Studies have shown that prophylactic braces's can reduce stress on the ACL only in some directions while increasing or having no impact on stress on the ACL. I think the stuff s&c coaches have been implementing is great. Any stability or force absorption that your muscles can't handle is essentially transferred to ligaments, so training muscles to be more prepared for those types of movements is helpful IMO.

If you just look at the sport of lacrosse - the speed, strength of the athletes, change of direction, frequent acceleration & deceleration, jumping, and the fitness required - even all the preventative and prophylactic care in the world won't be able to prevent ACL tears in this sport.

There are so so so many factors contributing to ACL tears that it's hard to point to one thing like field surface or shoes and say "this is the reason women are tearing their ACL at such a higher rate".
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nope, don't like prophylactics either. Absolutely would not to wear one, let alone a pair.
They got 'em for the wrists, elbows and knees too?
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

There are many factors associated with ACL tears. ACL injury prevention should be an important part of all lacrosse teams' off-season training.

If you like more information on this topic, please read the research from Tim Hewitt, Ph.D. from the Mayo clinic. He is the leading researcher on ACL tears and ACL tear prevention. He has done fantastic work on this topic over the last 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN4htnu1rz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zogaMVj1mA4
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:01 pm Nope, don't like prophylactics either. Absolutely would not to wear one, let alone a pair.
They got 'em for the wrists, elbows and knees too?
Seen them a lot for ankles too. USC had so many women in them I remember wondering if they were wearing them prophylactically too. And when I say prophylactics I’m specifically talking about braces. I think the prophylactic stuff built in to strength and conditioning programs is good.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

westcoastlax wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:39 pm There are many factors associated with ACL tears. ACL injury prevention should be an important part of all lacrosse teams' off-season training.

If you like more information on this topic, please read the research from Tim Hewitt, Ph.D. from the Mayo clinic. He is the leading researcher on ACL tears and ACL tear prevention. He has done fantastic work on this topic over the last 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN4htnu1rz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zogaMVj1mA4
Thanks for this post and these links. Can you sum up what you would have as a regular in-practice regime for warding off and reducing these sorts of injuries?
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

Sportsmetrics is the best program. It has been validated with several good scientific studies.
https://sportsmetrics.org/category/published-articles/

Why do sportsmetrics?
https://sportsmetrics.org/wp-content/up ... raphic.pdf

Sportsmetrics - WIPP (Warmup for Injury Prevention and Performance )
https://sportsmetrics.org/wp-content/up ... Poster.pdf
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Sadly, I have seen several of these up close and personal, starting with a teammate in college. Many look benign and have no contact, like Alabama receiver Metchie last weekend. I think it comes down to physics and human anatomy. Sux.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”