Olympics 2020 (1)

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Olympics 2020 (1)

Post by Brooklyn »

the guy on the right must be a Republican :lol:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Evidently, some Olympic competition has started. Sad to say, USA girls lost in soccer to Sweden:

https://www.npr.org/sections/tokyo-olym ... th-no-fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8B0kllPjDY

Did not see the match (wasn't aware it was on) but can see from the highlights that the defensive marking was rather weak and slow. They failed to anticipate the positioning by the Swedish attack which made the goalie helpless and led to the scoring.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

just watched a replay of Mexico > France 4-1 in mens Group A

https://apnews.com/article/2020-tokyo-o ... 6b6ba97351

Interestingly, an announcer commented that five subs are now allowed due to covid concerns. Evidently, some teams have contacted covid and players disqualified so that there are fewer players on the benches.

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Chinese whine and complain because NBC posted an incomplete map of their country. Those SOBs at NBC they left out Taiwan and the South China Sea.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

USA girls excel in softball winning their two games in the final inning. Great pitching has been the key as it has kept them in both games.

Also watched USA men defeat Kenya in rugby 7s. I was in a chat box and several Americans who had never seen the sport before greatly enjoyed the matches. All agreed that this is one sport that should definitely be promoted throughout the land.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Watched the game v Australia when Osterman, all 6'3" of her, was pitching. What a pitcher!!
Was blown away by their playing on a baseball field just moving everything in putting the
bases and infielders on the grass (no mound either, of course). Sure seems as if you could
have a softball field for these gals, you know it's got to feel real different playing on grass
when you're used to playing on dirt. Gives you a real good look at how much smaller a softball
field is than a baseball field though.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:52 am Watched the game v Australia when Osterman, all 6'3" of her, was pitching. What a pitcher!!
Was blown away by their playing on a baseball field just moving everything in putting the
bases and infielders on the grass (no mound either, of course). Sure seems as if you could
have a softball field for these gals, you know it's got to feel real different playing on grass
when you're used to playing on dirt. Gives you a real good look at how much smaller a softball
field is than a baseball field though.
My son went to the same high school Cat Osterman did. In one hs outing she struck out about 30 batters in a long extra inning game vs their arch rival school about 3 miles away, where all my son’s older siblings had attended. She won 1-0.

Regarding your dirt comment, we were in attendance for two games the US played at 1996 Olympics when softball was finally included. In ‘96 they played on a classic minor league baseball stadium in downtown Columbus, Ga where my sister lived. She knew the owner of the baseball team and that’s how we were able to score tickets for me, the wife and two softball playing daughters. However for those games, they had modified the baseball field so the ladies did play on dirt. Moved in the fences and put temporary bleachers out there to expand capacity.

It was a great experience attending the Olympics but we were lucky. We had been in the Centennial Olympic Park until about 11 pm only a couple hours before Rudolph’s bomb went off. We only left because we had the kids and had to make the 100 mile drive down to my sister’s house in Columbus where we were staying.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

I was living in Los Angeles during the ‘84 Olympics. The city was buzzing and tickets were in hot demand. I waited in line for 4 hours in Pasadena to get tickets and went to several events. Opening night session of track and field at the revamped Coliseum where I watched a gold medal event (walking) and got to see Edwin Moses run in a couple heats. Also went to baseball at Dodger Stadium, a couple days of men’s field hockey, doubleheader men’s basketball which featured an upset when Australia beat West Germany which had Christian Welp, Detlef Schrempf and Uwe Blab, men’s soccer semi finals. Those were the days of frenzied Olympic pin collecting.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

BBC Sport reporter Clare Balding during a virtual interview of British swimmer Matthew Richards’ performance in the third leg of the relay.

“You’re 18 years old, it’s your first Olympics, and your third leg was just phenomenal,”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Congrats women surfing......

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

10 Nigerian Olympians will be sent home after being disqualified because authorities 'dropped the ball' and didn't drug test them enough

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/olympi ... d=msedgntp

Ten Nigerian athletes will be sent home from the Tokyo Olympics after a drug testing mix-up.
The athletes weren't tested enough before flying to Japan, and were ruled ineligible by the IOC.
The Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) took full responsibility for the mishap.

10 athletes from five other countries - Belarus, Ethiopia, Kenya, Morocco, and Ukraine - have also been ruled ineligible to compete.

more ...

Frankly, I'm puzzled as to how this could have happened. But even more so, I'm worried that maybe others have not been tested enough. I watched the womens 4x200 swim sprint and marveled as to how the Chinese women each managed to get a stronger lap time on their 4th leg of 50 meters each. By contrast, our girls, and especially the Aussie girls, wilted and slowed in their final lap. In the end they got the Gold and we got the Silver. As we all know there has been a long history of cheating in international swimming and I wonder if this happened again(?).

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Just add them to Team ROC, where there's always a workaround!
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:18 am Just add them to Team ROC, where there's always a workaround!
Hah! Good one.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:18 am Just add them to Team ROC, where there's always a workaround!

good idea that should give us more opportunities to hear Tchaikovsky:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Belarusian Olympic sprinter granted asylum in Poland

https://thehill.com/policy/internationa ... 20reported.

Belarus Olympic track sprinter Krystsina Tsimanouskaya has been granted asylum in Poland after expressing fears for her own safety if she returned to her native country, The Washington Post reported.

In a statement on Monday, Polish Deputy Foreign Minister Marcin Przydacz tweeted that ​​Tsimanouskaya has been in contact with the Polish authorities on her situation and has received her humanitarian visa, adding that the country will “always for Solidarity.”

“Kryscina Tsimanouskaya a Belarusian athlet is already in direct contact with Polish diplomats in Tokyo. She has received a humanitarian Visa,” Przydacz wrote. “Poland will do whatever is necessary to help her to continue her sporting career. always stands for Solidarity.”

This comes as a video that circulated throughout social media showed the 24-year-old sprinter pleading for help, stating that Belarus is forcibly trying to make her return to the country after criticizing her team for placing her in the 4x400-meter relay, an event she has never competed in before, according to the Post.

The International Olympic Committee spokesperson Mark Admas said in a press briefing on Monday that they spoke with Tsimanouskaya about her ongoing situation, stating that the sprinter “assured us and has assured us that she feels safe and secure,” the Post reported.

The executive director of the Belarusian Sports Solidarity Fund, Alexander Opeikin, told the Post that Tsimanouskaya will fly to the Polish capital of Warsaw on Wednesday.

Tadeusz Giczan, the editor in chief of the Belarusian opposition Telegram channel NEXTA, shared in a Twitter thread that Tsimanouskaya’s husband and child have fled the country to Ukraine.

Olympic sprinter says she will not return to Belarus

Tsimanouskaya was set to compete in the women’s 200-meter race on Monday, the Post noted.

Those right wingers who hated to see soccer players take a knee or look away at the podium should be outraged over this act of unpatriotic treason.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

from South St Paul's athletic page:

https://www.sspps.org/cms/lib/MN0220777 ... e%202.jpeg

https://www.sspps.org/athletics

Please join the South St. Paul Activities Department and the entire SSP Community in congratulating 2021 graduate Suni Lee who became the fifth straight American woman to win Olympic All-Around GOLD!

Congratulations Suni! We are so proud of you!

As a long time supporter of South St Paul Packers athletics, I am so happy for her and the entire community.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

+100

~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Hoping Slovenia gets to the men’s hoop final. Not sure if I want them to win gold. I am 50/50 on Slovenia or the USA.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”