Atlantic Coast Conference

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxThoughts

Re: Atlantic Coast Conference

Post by LaxThoughts »

Cagekeeper wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:57 pm
user1020 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:22 pm I could see Pitt (and Clemson) becoming better than Louisville in the next 5-10 years. Pitts closer to the lacrosse hot bed. Clemson will also attract a lot of good players because of the experience students get there. Not saying Pitt will competing with the top or even mid of the ACC, but I can see them beating Louisville within 5 years.
And maybe VT in 5. They did get a coach from vt. So that helps. They may even beat Louisville this year.
I can appreciate the desire to wildly speculate as much as the next guy, but last year Louisville beat Colorado and Va Tech (with Paige Petty who is Pitt's main acquisition), took BC to overtime in one of its games, lost to UVA by 1, to Duke by 2, and had two reasonably competitive games with Notre Dame.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:48 pm
user1020 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:22 pm I could see Pitt (and Clemson) becoming better than Louisville in the next 5-10 years. Pitts closer to the lacrosse hot bed. Clemson will also attract a lot of good players because of the experience students get there. Not saying Pitt will competing with the top or even mid of the ACC, but I can see them beating Louisville within 5 years.
I was being somewhat snarky about Pitt since I bleed blue & white. I can see them winning 4 OOC games this year (really easy OOC schedule) but being winless in the ACC for quite sometime. I don't think they beat Louisville or VT anytime soon, but they are obviously the easiest to pick off. btw, Pitt is nowhere close to the philly/MD/NY hotbed.

Clemson is a different animal - there is a lot of buzz around that program and hearing pretty good interest from the portal and they've already signed up some impressive recruits. I definitely can see them challenging Louisville and VT within a year.
Pitt is a lot closer to that hot bed than Louisville is. I agree Clemson will be better than Pitt from the start.
harflax

Post by harflax »

Clemson has a top five (maybe top 3) recruiting class with the 2023 recruiting group. They beat out Maryland, Syracuse, Duke, UVA, amongst many others for some top recruits. There are also some talented girls I know that are talking about taking their fifth year there. They are going to be good pretty quick.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

harflax wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:50 pm Clemson has a top five (maybe top 3) recruiting class with the 2023 recruiting group. They beat out Maryland, Syracuse, Duke, UVA, amongst many others for some top recruits. There are also some talented girls I know that are talking about taking their fifth year there. They are going to be good pretty quick.
They did surprise me with landing some top recruits for 2023. They'll be good pretty quick. However, "good" is subjective. Top 20 good is different from Top 5 good. especially in a loaded ACC. They'll be better than Pitt for sure. Penn State is a perfect example why just recruiting alone won't cut it. You need to establish a system and that takes time aswell. They'll be competitive in 3 years, 4 or 5 years before they're a top 20 team. I do like Kwolek as a head coach.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

harflax wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:50 pm Clemson has a top five (maybe top 3) recruiting class with the 2023 recruiting group. They beat out Maryland, Syracuse, Duke, UVA, amongst many others for some top recruits. There are also some talented girls I know that are talking about taking their fifth year there. They are going to be good pretty quick.
That's what makes the ACC so tough though. Even if they end up with the 5th best recruiting class one year they probably are only 3rd or 4th in the ACC that year. It's going to take time. A bunch of freshman with a few transfers aren't going to beat the top dogs in the conference. I agree that there is a lot of buzz around the program. They threw A LOT of money at 2023s to get that class. They won't be able to do that with upcoming classes as they are using a lot of their 12 ships on the 22s and 23s as well as whatever transfers they bring it.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

hmmm wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:37 pm
That's what makes the ACC so tough though. Even if they end up with the 5th best recruiting class one year they probably are only 3rd or 4th in the ACC that year. It's going to take time. A bunch of freshman with a few transfers aren't going to beat the top dogs in the conference. I agree that there is a lot of buzz around the program. They threw A LOT of money at 2023s to get that class. They won't be able to do that with upcoming classes as they are using a lot of their 12 ships on the 22s and 23s as well as whatever transfers they bring it.
Just curious, how do you know that they threw "A LOT" of money at the 2023's? I never had any idea of how much players were receiving on any of my kids teams and I never knew how much my friends children's were receiving on the teams they were playing for. Maybe times have changed and parents and players talk about their scholarships openly now.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Pitt is having a successful year for it being Pitt's inaugural season (including an ACC win and other close games against other ACC opponents), so I am excited to see how Clemson does in their first season. I see Clemson being more successful than Pitt and becoming a top 25 team in its first couple seasons. I see Pitt as a future VA Tech/Louisville, some years in top 25, but not consistently.

Any thoughts?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

user1020 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:05 pm Pitt is having a successful year for it being Pitt's inaugural season (including an ACC win and other close games against other ACC opponents), so I am excited to see how Clemson does in their first season. I see Clemson being more successful than Pitt and becoming a top 25 team in its first couple seasons. I see Pitt as a future VA Tech/Louisville, some years in top 25, but not consistently.

Any thoughts?
Pitt has had a very nice year - exceeded my expectations. Issue for them - will they be able to recruit effectively in the ACC. They benefited this year from the graduate & 5th year transfers which goes away.

I think Clemson will have more success - some of the graduate & 5th year's that they've signed up are really good and they already have been able to recruit some talented HS players.

just my 2 cents
Last edited by 8meterPA on Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:55 pm
user1020 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:05 pm Pitt is having a successful year for it being Pitt's inaugural season (including an ACC win and other close games against other ACC opponents), so I am excited to see how Clemson does in their first season. I see Clemson being more successful than Pitt and becoming a top 25 team in its first couple seasons. I see Pitt as a future VA Tech/Louisville, some years in top 25, but not consistently.

Any thoughts?
Pitt has had a very nice year - exceeded my expectations. Issue for them - will they be able to recruit effectively in the ACC. They benefited this year from the graduate & 5th year transfers which won't goes away.

I think Clemson will have more success - some of the graduate & 5th year's that they've signed up are really good and they already have been able to recruit some talented HS players.

just my 2 cents
I agree as well. They've had a really nice year. My worry is the 5th year graduate transfers they lose and if they'll be able to make up the gap left by them. Molly Carter is planning on playing next year after recovering from an ACL tear so that could help.

I'm excited to see how Clemson does in their first few years as well.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Atlantic Coast Conference

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Seems like the only compelling regular season game left is Syracuse vs Boston College. For the ACC Tournament, it's got to be a 3 way Battle Royal between BC, Notre Dame and Syracuse. It was looking like Virginia might have made it a 4 team battle there for a while but who knows who they are anymore.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

IMO in one week we will realize its the same BC team as in the past. Maybe even a bit stronger. Good teams get stronger as the year goes on. They will roll over UVA, beat Cuse and will be ready to defend their ACC crown.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:48 am IMO in one week we will realize its the same BC team as in the past. Maybe even a bit stronger. Good teams get stronger as the year goes on. They will roll over UVA, beat Cuse and will be ready to defend their ACC crown.
I can see that happening--but I also feel like something isn't quite clicking for this team in 2024. Maybe they'll get the mojo woikin, maybe they won't. I just know they've been underwhelming in both big games they've played this year. Syracuse will be a big test, as will potential rematches with Notre Dame and/or Syracuse in the ACC's. We shall see.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Agree with beginning of season but look more closely since Duke game when they made big changes on both sides of the ball. Look at goal differential, offense and defense. Every aspect of team better since those changes. As a BC fan you are going to love the way this team competes from this point forward. Expect them to show it vs UVA and Cuse.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:29 am Agree with beginning of season but look more closely since Duke game when they made big changes on both sides of the ball. Look at goal differential, offense and defense. Every aspect of team better since those changes. As a BC fan you are going to love the way this team competes from this point forward. Expect them to show it vs UVA and Cuse.
We'll see--they still haven't beaten anyone yet. If they beat Syracuse, I'll sit up up a little. If they win the ACC championship, I'll sit up a little more. I still don't think they'll be any match for Northwestern if they both get there and meet in the final.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:06 pm
Lax101 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:29 am Agree with beginning of season but look more closely since Duke game when they made big changes on both sides of the ball. Look at goal differential, offense and defense. Every aspect of team better since those changes. As a BC fan you are going to love the way this team competes from this point forward. Expect them to show it vs UVA and Cuse.
We'll see--they still haven't beaten anyone yet. If they beat Syracuse, I'll sit up up a little. If they win the ACC championship, I'll sit up a little more. I still don't think they'll be any match for Northwestern if they both get there and meet in the final.
I mean...don't look past UVA. Not looking so hot for BC so far.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Lax101 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:48 am IMO in one week we will realize its the same BC team as in the past. Maybe even a bit stronger. Good teams get stronger as the year goes on. They will roll over UVA, beat Cuse and will be ready to defend their ACC crown.
So much for rolling over UVA, eh?
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

See, what had happened was…😂😂😂
OuttaNowhereWregget

ultravisitor wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:56 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:06 pm
We'll see--they still haven't beaten anyone yet. If they beat Syracuse, I'll sit up a little. If they win the ACC championship, I'll sit up a little more. I still don't think they'll be any match for Northwestern if they both get there and meet in the final.
I mean...don't look past UVA. Not looking so hot for BC so far.
Exactly. BC can't even win a game the other team desperately tried to give them.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

With the BC loss yesterday, Syracuse claims their first ever outright regular season ACC title! :!:
OuttaNowhereWregget

Syracuse should ask Boston College how much ACC regular season titles, in and of themselves, are worth.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”