Atlantic Coast Conference

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: Atlantic Coast Conference

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:59 pm
Justalaxdad wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:22 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:43 am Nice little write up on the newest member of the ACC:

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... ncaa-debut
Nice article and what a time to be starting a program - when the transfer portal has been so active with all of the “pandemic 5th year players” available. Should be just as interesting watching what Clemson does in ‘23. I’m imagining with the draw of a school like Clemson, they will be legit very quickly.

Would be nice within 10 years to see FSU, GaTech, Miami, NC St,, and Wake join the party!
I dont see Miami ever having WLAX. Wake, NCST and FSU probably next.

I agree. What do you think about GA Tech? It’s close to the hotbeds in GA. Don’t know much about the athletic department otherwise though
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:43 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:59 pm
Justalaxdad wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:22 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:43 am Nice little write up on the newest member of the ACC:

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... ncaa-debut
Nice article and what a time to be starting a program - when the transfer portal has been so active with all of the “pandemic 5th year players” available. Should be just as interesting watching what Clemson does in ‘23. I’m imagining with the draw of a school like Clemson, they will be legit very quickly.

Would be nice within 10 years to see FSU, GaTech, Miami, NC St,, and Wake join the party!
I dont see Miami ever having WLAX. Wake, NCST and FSU probably next.

I agree. What do you think about GA Tech? It’s close to the hotbeds in GA. Don’t know much about the athletic department otherwise though
yeah it makes sense....just see the other 3 ahead of them.
Laxhead44

Post by Laxhead44 »

Cletus wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:01 pm
TNLAX wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:37 pm Does this help or hurt the women's game? Depending on how the league is set up, it will greatly impact teams all over the country. The ACC teams will have fewer out of conference games most likely, meaning that teams that had played ACC in out of conference games will no longer have the ability now. So teams that had BC, UNC, Duke Syracuse etc. on their scheduled may have a void and they may have to fill those games with lower quality opponent's hurting their strength of schedule and impacting possible bids to the NCAA.
Good points, TN. That's two more games per year playing Pitt and Clemson rather than, I don't know, Albany and Hofstra. Which means more travel miles within conference. I think lacrosse is going so well these days that the future harvests will be so plenteous that schools will get better and better as time goes on. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

With ten teams in 2023, how would you arrange the ACC championship playoff format?
This is allegedly the 2022 ACC women's lax tourney format:

https://theacc.com/news/2021/6/16/gener ... wo%20teams.

For the 2022 ACC Women’s Lacrosse Championship, the No. 8 vs. No. 9 game will be played on campus site of the higher seeded team on April 27. Notre Dame will then host the quarterfinals and semis (April 29, May 1), with the championship game scheduled May 7 at the campus site of the higher seeded of the final two teams.
so I'm guessing no longer a week off between the ACC championship game and the start of the NCAA.

Then in 2023, possibly play a straight 8 team bracket with only top 8 seeds making the tourney?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Laxhead44 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:44 pm
TNLAX wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:37 pm Does this help or hurt the women's game? Depending on how the league is set up, it will greatly impact teams all over the country. The ACC teams will have fewer out of conference games most likely, meaning that teams that had played ACC in out of conference games will no longer have the ability now. So teams that had BC, UNC, Duke Syracuse etc. on their scheduled may have a void and they may have to fill those games with lower quality opponent's hurting their strength of schedule and impacting possible bids to the NCAA.
Good points, TN. That's two more games per year playing Pitt and Clemson rather than, I don't know, Albany and Hofstra. Which means more travel miles within conference. I think lacrosse is going so well these days that the future harvests will be so plenteous that schools will get better and better as time goes on. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

With ten teams in 2023, how would you arrange the ACC championship playoff format?

For the 2022 ACC Women’s Lacrosse Championship, the No. 8 vs. No. 9 game will be played on campus site of the higher seeded team on April 27. Notre Dame will then host the quarterfinals and semis (April 29, May 1), with the championship game scheduled May 7 at the campus site of the higher seeded of the final two teams.
so I'm guessing no longer a week off between the ACC championship game and the start of the NCAA.

Then in 2023, possibly play a straight 8 team bracket with only top 8 seeds making the tourney?
I'd like to see a top 4 teams playoff format. It pays to win, as they say.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:25 am
Laxhead44 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:44 pm

I'd like to see a top 4 teams playoff format. It pays to win, as they say.
As nice as that would be, it's never going to happen. The one good thing about the ACC, is that the tournament can be a gauntlet. Some years a 6th seeded Duke or Louisville squad can really push a top seed.

Joe
OuttaNowhereWregget

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:21 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:25 am I'd like to see a top 4 teams playoff format. It pays to win, as they say.
As nice as that would be, it's never going to happen. The one good thing about the ACC, is that the tournament can be a gauntlet. Some years a 6th seeded Duke or Louisville squad can really push a top seed.
Agreed
OuttaNowhereWregget

I’m looking forward to seeing Pitt’s schedule when it comes out. We haven’t had any schedule releases in a little while. For a while there we had a nice little flurry of releases from 5? teams. What's typical for frequency? A random smattering here and there? One week of the majority of the teams releasing? In any event, it will be interesting to see who the Panthers schedule. We know they have 8 games in the ACC but who gets the other 9-ish? Will they avoid scheduling tough teams? Maybe they decide to play close to home and not worry about how tough the team will be. I wonder if they’ll jet out west for a couple. Growing list of teams in the PST. A decent amount of 5th years transferred there in the offseason.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:21 pm I’m looking forward to seeing Pitt’s schedule when it comes out. We haven’t had any schedule releases in a little while. For a while there we had a nice little flurry of releases from 5? teams. What's typical for frequency? A random smattering here and there? One week of the majority of the teams releasing? In any event, it will be interesting to see who the Panthers schedule. We know they have 8 games in the ACC but who gets the other 9-ish? Will they avoid scheduling tough teams? Maybe they decide to play close to home and not worry about how tough the team will be. I wonder if they’ll jet out west for a couple. Growing list of teams in the PST. A decent amount of 5th years transferred there in the offseason.
Pitt will not schedule fluff games. Coaching staff is ready to challenge their girls. I believe they have 10
Graduate students. Doesn’t mean 10 will play over others
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cagekeeper wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:16 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:21 pm I’m looking forward to seeing Pitt’s schedule when it comes out. We haven’t had any schedule releases in a little while. For a while there we had a nice little flurry of releases from 5? teams. What's typical for frequency? A random smattering here and there? One week of the majority of the teams releasing? In any event, it will be interesting to see who the Panthers schedule. We know they have 8 games in the ACC but who gets the other 9-ish? Will they avoid scheduling tough teams? Maybe they decide to play close to home and not worry about how tough the team will be. I wonder if they’ll jet out west for a couple. Growing list of teams in the PST. A decent amount of 5th years transferred there in the offseason.
Pitt will not schedule fluff games. Coaching staff is ready to challenge their girls. I believe they have 10
Good to know, thanks.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

I agree. I can also see them possibly scheduling games with local programs like Duquesne or Robert Morris just for the sake of proximity and low travel.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:59 pm
I agree. I can also see them possibly scheduling games with local programs like Duquesne or Robert Morris just for the sake of proximity and low travel.
definitely. They played Duquesne in the fall. It’s literally down the road. It may not be pretty this year. But the goal is to get the freshmen ready for the acc and by their jr/sr year to have an experienced squad. Petty and the other transfers are part of that process with their experience already at that level
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cagekeeper wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:08 pm
definitely. They played Duquesne in the fall. It’s literally down the road. It may not be pretty this year. But the goal is to get the freshmen ready for the acc and by their jr/sr year to have an experienced squad. Petty and the other transfers are part of that process with their experience already at that level
I think Molly Carter will really enjoy getting some playing time after her years with Syracuse. I'm assuming that will be the case because she's a 5th year.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:30 pm
Cagekeeper wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:08 pm
I think Molly Carter will really enjoy getting some playing time after her years with Syracuse. I'm assuming that will be the case because she's a 5th year.
Molly definitely brings acc experience to the table. Not much game experience since freshman year. But they all practice the same. So she’s familiar with the intensity. Will she get significant playing time? I guess we will know in February
OuttaNowhereWregget

I am looking forward to seeing what the University of Pittsburgh Panthers inaugural schedule looks like. They’ve got 8 games in conference so that’s 7 to 9 opponents OOC. (I was always good at math—NOT). Anyway, looking forward to seeing it when it drops.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Predictions for Pitt for their 1st year? Next 5,10 years?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

user1020 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:02 pm Predictions for Pitt for their 1st year? Next 5,10 years?
Pitt will be the least successful ACC team in their 1st year, 5 years and 10 years. That is the prediction.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:45 am
user1020 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:02 pm Predictions for Pitt for their 1st year? Next 5,10 years?
Pitt will be the least successful ACC team in their 1st year, 5 years and 10 years. That is the prediction.
[/quote
A little harsh. First year will be a losing season. 5/10. Maybe not. Right now she’s grooming her freshmen to be acc ready. She knows they’re not. That’s why she has petty and trice. They know the pace I think the coach is invested in this team 100%. Facilities are beautiful and academics are great. She could
Draw some
Really good talent
user1020

Post by user1020 »

I could see Pitt (and Clemson) becoming better than Louisville in the next 5-10 years. Pitts closer to the lacrosse hot bed. Clemson will also attract a lot of good players because of the experience students get there. Not saying Pitt will competing with the top or even mid of the ACC, but I can see them beating Louisville within 5 years.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

user1020 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:22 pm I could see Pitt (and Clemson) becoming better than Louisville in the next 5-10 years. Pitts closer to the lacrosse hot bed. Clemson will also attract a lot of good players because of the experience students get there. Not saying Pitt will competing with the top or even mid of the ACC, but I can see them beating Louisville within 5 years.
And maybe VT in 5. They did get a coach from vt. So that helps. They may even beat Louisville this year.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

user1020 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:22 pm I could see Pitt (and Clemson) becoming better than Louisville in the next 5-10 years. Pitts closer to the lacrosse hot bed. Clemson will also attract a lot of good players because of the experience students get there. Not saying Pitt will competing with the top or even mid of the ACC, but I can see them beating Louisville within 5 years.
I was being somewhat snarky about Pitt since I bleed blue & white. I can see them winning 4 OOC games this year (really easy OOC schedule) but being winless in the ACC for quite sometime. I don't think they beat Louisville or VT anytime soon, but they are obviously the easiest to pick off. btw, Pitt is nowhere close to the philly/MD/NY hotbed.

Clemson is a different animal - there is a lot of buzz around that program and hearing pretty good interest from the portal and they've already signed up some impressive recruits. I definitely can see them challenging Louisville and VT within a year.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”